Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 380 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11371 of 11400 Old 07-24-2015, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Do you know if it's possible to use the new Spyder5Elite or Pro with the JVC AutoCal function? I'd rather get the latest version if at all possible. I guess I could just try it and if it doesn't work send it back and order the older one.
Everything I've read in the Autocal thread says it has to be a Spyder 4.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 11400 Old 07-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Everything I've read in the Autocal thread says it has to be a Spyder 4.
Yeah, that figures...thanks.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11373 of 11400 Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 115
If anyone is interested, Amazon has a deal going until 8/15 for two Philips Hue bulbs for $99.99. You're welcome

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #11374 of 11400 Old 08-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Or you can go this route which I have had great success with. I have two behind my screen that I absolutely love:

http://www.amazon.com/ThorFire-Color...rfire+LED+bulb
Mr. Hatcher likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #11375 of 11400 Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 653
The Philips Hue lights have been very reliable so far, I have 28 of the lights in my HT room and several kits in my office as well. This month marks a several year journey to replacing every single light in my house with LED's. that includes all outside lighting, landscape lighting, flood lights, etc. It's nice not to have the extra heat the incandescent lights generate + the energy savings.

even my daily use projector is LED. I knew those little LED's we'd play with in the 70-80's at Radio Shack were going to amount to something one day.
Mr. Hatcher likes this.
post #11376 of 11400 Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The Philips Hue lights have been very reliable so far, I have 28 of the lights in my HT room and several kits in my office as well. This month marks a several year journey to replacing every single light in my house with LED's. that includes all outside lighting, landscape lighting, flood lights, etc. It's nice not to have the extra heat the incandescent lights generate + the energy savings.

even my daily use projector is LED. I knew those little LED's we'd play with in the 70-80's at Radio Shack were going to amount to something one day.

I use LED lights to grow peppers and tomatoes during the winter.

James Reid
post #11377 of 11400 Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I was in a conference room and a notification popped up reminding me that our BenQ SH940 had exceeded 4000 hours on the lamp, time to replace, etc.

This was surprising since it's still quite bright on a 120" Dalite 1.0 gain screen with ambient light and shows no signs of giving up. If I recall, someone had 5000 hours on a W7000 a while back, these are basically the same chassis but the business model is brighter.

If anyone is looking for an affordable business DLP that will run 8-10 hours a day this model is a good recommendation. I installed 4 of these and all are well behaved with no issues over the last 2+ years with high usage.

edit: they are very sharp too even with using the full lens shift. perfect for a 1080P desktop / presentations
post #11378 of 11400 Old 08-05-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 318
zombie10k,

Did you ever post any impressions of the RS-6710? Thread is very long so I might have missed it. I'm curious if the "hand picked" parts make any difference at all. Does it have a better lens without the usual JVC vertical streaking? How about internal reflections of bright objects on black backgrounds?
post #11379 of 11400 Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
zombie10k,

Did you ever post any impressions of the RS-6710? Thread is very long so I might have missed it. I'm curious if the "hand picked" parts make any difference at all. Does it have a better lens without the usual JVC vertical streaking? How about internal reflections of bright objects on black backgrounds?
Hi, this was a good copy but didn't see anything unique about it vs. the other models in those areas regarding the lens. It had good convergence and overall lens focus but technically my specific RS46 was better. I think there is still some luck involved with finding a golden sample.

I think the main benefits of the 6710 package is the extra lamp, extra warranty and included 3D glasses + RF transmitter.

After seeing every JVC made over of the last few years, I think the RS46/X35 was the bargain to be found since it had all the 'fixes' (new lamp + better 3D + very good OOTB color) that afflicted the previous models and has the majority of the PQ vs. the higher end models. They disappeared quickly once they were discontinued.

I expect Sony and Epson will continue with their 2K -3K 1080P models, a baseline JVC could have competed well here at this price point.
post #11380 of 11400 Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is interesting - Sony is selling a $350 low lumen laser projector to go with the PS4

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...rtner=yahootix

from the description of 32 lumens and 1920x720 res, it's likely a re-labeled Celluon PicoPro

post #11381 of 11400 Old 08-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have 2 bug spots on my hp screen any recommendations on how to clean it should i clean whole screen or just get bug spots off
post #11382 of 11400 Old 08-13-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2162 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post
I have 2 bug spots on my hp screen any recommendations on how to clean it should i clean whole screen or just get bug spots off
I would probably leave it alone. Very easy to rub the surface off the screen.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
post #11383 of 11400 Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i've been lucky cleaning my 2.8HP for several years now. All I do is use the lint free rags in a box you can get from Lowes/Depot and soak them in distilled water. Heavy water sweeps across the screen followed by lighter damp runs until there is just a light coat of water on it, then I use a hair dryer set to low temp to sweep across and dry it. Sounds odd, but I've done this a few times already in 5 years and it still looks new.
post #11384 of 11400 Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
i've been lucky cleaning my 2.8HP for several years now. All I do is use the lint free rags in a box you can get from Lowes/Depot and soak them in distilled water. Heavy water sweeps across the screen followed by lighter damp runs until there is just a light coat of water on it, then I use a hair dryer set to low temp to sweep across and dry it. Sounds odd, but I've done this a few times already in 5 years and it still looks new.
I use a soft sponge and clean it like you would clean a freshly grouted tile floor, except I use warm water. Rinse sponge in warm water, make one swipe, flip sponge and make second swipe. Rinse sponge and repeat. This works fine for a screen that has some dirt and dust on it, but a bug stain is different. I know of several people that have had bug stains and they either could not get all of the stain out or they scrubbed until they got the spot out and messed up the surface of the screen.

post #11385 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Someone from Stewart came me a great tip on bug or small marks: blue painters tape. Put the tape over the mark and quickly pull up on it. You can do it several times if necessary. Just don't go crazy on it.

However, I'm also of the belief of just leaving whatever it is on the screen unless you can see it from your seating position and in content.

post #11386 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I use a soft sponge and clean it like you would clean a freshly grouted tile floor, except I use warm water. Rinse sponge in warm water, make one swipe, flip sponge and make second swipe. Rinse sponge and repeat. This works fine for a screen that has some dirt and dust on it, but a bug stain is different. I know of several people that have had bug stains and they either could not get all of the stain out or they scrubbed until they got the spot out and messed up the surface of the screen.
This happened to me.

A few summers ago a super tiny flying bug landed on my hella big and expensive Stewart ST130 screen.
The reason I wanted it off is because bugs can emit some crap that could stain the screen. But I was also super wary of squishing the bug on the screen. So I got the softest thing I could find, a swifter-duster, and gave the lightest brush toward it to scare it off. Instead the bug was so delicate it immediately squished on to the screen making a mark. Damn it! Just what I was trying to avoid. Ok, how to clean that screen mark. I looked up the instructions from Stewart for spot cleaning the screen. But as I followed the instructions the only thing that happened was the dark spot just seemed to expand and expand bigger! Plus it seemed I might be damaging the screen coating, altering it's reflective properties in that spot. Now I could see this big palm-sized darker area on my screen from by viewing position.

This was heart-breaking, especially as I'm really sensitive to such things. It was very subtle, but very detectable.

In the end it's turned into a non-problem mostly for an odd reason: My variable sized masking system!
The smudge occurred when I had the screen at something like a 102" 16:9 diagonal size. The thing with having a single screen shape was that I always knew exactly where that smudge was relative to the borders of the screen, so was aware of it. But afterward, since I am constantly changing the screen size and shape
drastically, I have no constant reference of where that smudge is on the screen. I therefore don't notice it, and I don't even know where it is any more. Whew!

But, wow, the whole screen cleaning thing is worrying. (I'm thinking perhaps a very light powered hand vacuum could have been a better answer for getting the bug off the screen without touching the screen).
post #11387 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Rich, try the painter tape idea next time. It works well. It's sticky enough to remove almost anything, yet not harm the coating on the screen.

post #11388 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #11389 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Projector Addict !

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
This happened to me.

A few summers ago a super tiny flying bug landed on my hella big and expensive Stewart ST130 screen.
The reason I wanted it off is because bugs can emit some crap that could stain the screen. But I was also super wary of squishing the bug on the screen. So I got the softest thing I could find, a swifter-duster, and gave the lightest brush toward it to scare it off. Instead the bug was so delicate it immediately squished on to the screen making a mark. Damn it! Just what I was trying to avoid. Ok, how to clean that screen mark. I looked up the instructions from Stewart for spot cleaning the screen. But as I followed the instructions the only thing that happened was the dark spot just seemed to expand and expand bigger! Plus it seemed I might be damaging the screen coating, altering it's reflective properties in that spot. Now I could see this big palm-sized darker area on my screen from by viewing position.

This was heart-breaking, especially as I'm really sensitive to such things. It was very subtle, but very detectable.

In the end it's turned into a non-problem mostly for an odd reason: My variable sized masking system!
The smudge occurred when I had the screen at something like a 102" 16:9 diagonal size. The thing with having a single screen shape was that I always knew exactly where that smudge was relative to the borders of the screen, so was aware of it. But afterward, since I am constantly changing the screen size and shape
drastically, I have no constant reference of where that smudge is on the screen. I therefore don't notice it, and I don't even know where it is any more. Whew!

But, wow, the whole screen cleaning thing is worrying. (I'm thinking perhaps a very light powered hand vacuum could have been a better answer for getting the bug off the screen without touching the screen).
I'm rolling up my electric screens for safety right now - you just officially freaked me out !

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #11390 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'm rolling up my electric screens for safety right now - you just officially freaked me out !
That is when it is a danger. A bug lands on the screen, you roll it up and now you have squashed bug. If the screen stays down, the bug probably flys off.

Added
This happens often times, because a person will have the projector on and then puts the screen up. That nice bright screen attracts a bug and you just trapped him. This is why it is mored of an issue for retractable than it is for fixed frame. As for how to get the bug off, blow on him.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 08-14-2015 at 11:23 AM.
post #11391 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That is when it is a danger. A bug lands on the screen, you roll it up and now you have squashed bug. If the screen stays down, the bug probably flys off.

Added
This happens often times, because a person will have the projector on and then puts the screen up. That nice bright screen attracts a bug and you just trapped him. This is why it is mored of an issue for retractable than it is for fixed frame. As for how to get the bug off, blow on him.
Yup,. One more reason why bugs will inherit the earth. The lil' bastards always find a way...
post #11392 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Projector Addict !

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Yup,. One more reason why bugs will inherit the earth. The lil' bastards always find a way...
Darn - I guess I'm screwed either way.

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #11393 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Added
Thx guys i believe when i rolled screen up is when the bug got smashed tried painters tape didnt seem to do anything when i watch football the mark is easily noticed i have 2:35 screen behind it or i would never role it up
post #11394 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Rich, try the painter tape idea next time. It works well. It's sticky enough to remove almost anything, yet not harm the coating on the screen.
Good one. I've always preferred a quick blast from a compressed air can; no bug I know can hold on and there is no risk of residue.
post #11395 of 11400 Old 08-14-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
Good one. I've always preferred a quick blast from a compressed air can; no bug I know can hold on and there is no risk of residue.
Yeah, I'd thought of the air blast too, and I'd thought we had a can somewhere but couldn't find it. However,
that damned little bug was so delicate (almost like a fruitfly or something) that it seems almost any pressure would have squashed it into the screen.

So you've found the air can has worked with bugs on the screen before?
post #11396 of 11400 Old 08-16-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I was thinking air as well.

Remember the four things for cleaning. There is time, temperature, cleaner, and agitation. A hot damp cloth with light scrubbing would probably be best. I would think going over the screen once, letting it dry and then going over it a second time with a cleaning would be the best method.

Call AVScience.com For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #11397 of 11400 Old 08-29-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 137
had this and sticky tape is usually good to pull off any bits left behind :roll eyes:

but if needs cleaning I use the cloth in warm water well squeezed..and gently rub off any blemishes...seems to work

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #11398 of 11400 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
Pip

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post
You don't say if you're HP is a 2.8 or 2.4. The 2.8 has a very cleanable surface. Other than strong solvents, abrasives, or anything that leaves a residue, you should be fine. I've (carefully) used distilled water, vinegar, denatured alcohol, ammonia, even Goof-off and Goo-gone without any trouble. The painters tape idea should be completely safe. Start with the safest and work your way up if necessary. Use small amounts with clean, dust free applicators that won't scratch.

The above applies to the Da Lite High Power 2.8 ONLY! The 2.4 is very different, and it is quite easy to damage the surface. I haven't owned any other screens so I will not speak about them.

Pip
post #11399 of 11400 Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
You don't say if you're HP is a 2.8 or 2.4. The 2.8 has a very cleanable surface. Other than strong solvents, abrasives, or anything that leaves a residue, you should be fine. I've (carefully) used distilled water, vinegar, denatured alcohol, ammonia, even Goof-off and Goo-gone without any trouble. The painters tape idea should be completely safe. Start with the safest and work your way up if necessary. Use small amounts with clean, dust free applicators that won't scratch.

The above applies to the Da Lite High Power 2.8 ONLY! The 2.4 is very different, and it is quite easy to damage the surface. I haven't owned any other screens so I will not speak about them.

Pip
Its a 2.4
post #11400 of 11400 Old Today, 07:15 AM
Pip

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Alas.

In that case - proceed with caution, but it's certainly worth the attempt. As long as you work carefully, you won't make things worse. Your goal is to get those spots looking better than they do now with the squished bugs. I'll bet you can do that very effectively. Once you remove everything you can pick off, you can always carefully test any procedures in a tiny spot at one of your corners.

Good luck, and report back to help the 2.4 owners who will undoubtedly have similar infestations. You might want to post your results in the screen forum.

Pip
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread