Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 381 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11401 of 11408 Old Today, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 534
A barely on topic observation from my trip to the LG booth at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition):

LG had their big 105" superwide 2:35:1 AR curved screen display set up. It was attracting lots of enthusiastic attention. Though
visitors didn't mention noticing it was a wider AR per se, the display seemed to have much more attention-getting impact I think because of it. Everyone was saying it looked like their dream display. Unfortunately it was only showing shots of Hong Kong, no movie content.

But I have to say as a projector owner it sure is hard to be impressed even with a display that size. I'm so used to widescreen images much larger in my home, and of as good or better image quality. Throw in the $130,000 CAD price tag and it sort of became chuckle-worthy. Fun to see, though.

Maybe if one day if OLED gets even bigger...
cardoski likes this.
R Harkness is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11402 of 11408 Old Today, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,535
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 653
LG seems focused these days on OLED so hopefully that benefits us in the future. I saw some pricing on the 55" and 65" 4K displays, it's just too expensive for me for such small screens.

The screen size dictates if you have a media room or a home theater.
zombie10k is online now  
post #11403 of 11408 Old Today, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
MadMyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
MadMyers is online now  
post #11404 of 11408 Old Today, 02:50 PM
Projector Addict !
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,153
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
A barely on topic observation from my trip to the LG booth at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition):

LG had their big 105" superwide 2:35:1 AR curved screen display set up. It was attracting lots of enthusiastic attention. Though
visitors didn't mention noticing it was a wider AR per se, the display seemed to have much more attention-getting impact I think because of it. Everyone was saying it looked like their dream display. Unfortunately it was only showing shots of Hong Kong, no movie content.

But I have to say as a projector owner it sure is hard to be impressed even with a display that size. I'm so used to widescreen images much larger in my home, and of as good or better image quality. Throw in the $130,000 CAD price tag and it sort of became chuckle-worthy. Fun to see, though.

Maybe if one day if OLED gets even bigger...

Just think how big a screen you could have if you had a $ 130,000 projector / screen budget. " You're going to need a bigger house " !!

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
Craig Peer is online now  
post #11405 of 11408 Old Today, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,372
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 684
On a different note, I was at Best Buy Magnolia the other day just casually browsing and a sales guy came up to me and we started talking. We got on the topic of front projection and it was funny how clueless he was. I told him I had a JVC. "Oh, those projectors are really not that bad...," as he implied they were not good either. I didn't bother asking him what he thought was good. I sort of just humored him listening. I told him my scope screen was 9 feet wide and he responded, "Wow, isn't that like a 300" screen?" Funny stuff.
Mike Garrett likes this.

DavidHir is online now  
post #11406 of 11408 Old Today, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
On a different note, I was at Best Buy Magnolia the other day just casually browsing and a sales guy came up to me and we started talking. We got on the topic of front projection and it was funny how clueless he was. I told him I had a JVC. "Oh, those projectors are really not that bad...," as he implied they were not good either. I didn't bother asking him what he thought was good. I sort of just humored him listening. I told him my scope screen was 9 feet wide and he responded, "Wow, isn't that like a 300" screen?" Funny stuff.

Fact is most mortals have no idea just how good we have it. So many times I go to a dinner party of family event and they are bragging about there "massive" 65in LED. I can't imagine there are too many homes that can top a fully velveted room with a JVC or 4k Sony. Or even the avg projector setup for that matter, size means alot and the image quality of projectors is there as well.
DavidHir likes this.

James Reid
cardoski is online now  
post #11407 of 11408 Old Today, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I was watching Mission Impossible Rogue Nation on my JVC RS57 last night and I started really noticing the DI. In some scenes with shots changing from dimmer to brighter shots, it looked really bad because it would take a while for the picture to dim down for a dark shot, then a while for it to swing back brighter for a bright shot. It was quite intrusive and I started wondering if my DI was starting to malfunction or something since I never notice it like this.

But then I realised I'd had the IRIS open all the way up because I was using a large image size and the bulb had enough time on it to be somewhat more dim, hence opening up the iris. And I remembered that if you have the iris set in the upper limits close to wide open, the
DI has wider swings to attempt and becomes more obvious. So I presume this is what was happening.

It made me realise that would be another benefit to the purportedly higher light output of the new JVCs coming out (again, if the rumors are true). Having some more horsepower for a bright image but at an iris setting that won't freak out the DI.
R Harkness is online now  
post #11408 of 11408 Old Today, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I was watching Mission Impossible Rogue Nation on my JVC RS57 last night and I started really noticing the DI. In some scenes with shots changing from dimmer to brighter shots, it looked really bad because it would take a while for the picture to dim down for a dark shot, then a while for it to swing back brighter for a bright shot. It was quite intrusive and I started wondering if my DI was starting to malfunction or something since I never notice it like this.

But then I realised I'd had the IRIS open all the way up because I was using a large image size and the bulb had enough time on it to be somewhat more dim, hence opening up the iris. And I remembered that if you have the iris set in the upper limits close to wide open, the
DI has wider swings to attempt and becomes more obvious. So I presume this is what was happening.

It made me realise that would be another benefit to the purportedly higher light output of the new JVCs coming out (again, if the rumors are true). Having some more horsepower for a bright image but at an iris setting that won't freak out the DI.

This makes sense, I run my X500 with the iris wide open and find the DI can be really busy at times.

James Reid
cardoski is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off