Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 381 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11401 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 534
A barely on topic observation from my trip to the LG booth at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition):

LG had their big 105" superwide 2:35:1 AR curved screen display set up. It was attracting lots of enthusiastic attention. Though
visitors didn't mention noticing it was a wider AR per se, the display seemed to have much more attention-getting impact I think because of it. Everyone was saying it looked like their dream display. Unfortunately it was only showing shots of Hong Kong, no movie content.

But I have to say as a projector owner it sure is hard to be impressed even with a display that size. I'm so used to widescreen images much larger in my home, and of as good or better image quality. Throw in the $130,000 CAD price tag and it sort of became chuckle-worthy. Fun to see, though.

Maybe if one day if OLED gets even bigger...
cardoski likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11402 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 653
LG seems focused these days on OLED so hopefully that benefits us in the future. I saw some pricing on the 55" and 65" 4K displays, it's just too expensive for me for such small screens.

The screen size dictates if you have a media room or a home theater.
post #11403 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
post #11404 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Projector Addict !

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
A barely on topic observation from my trip to the LG booth at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition):

LG had their big 105" superwide 2:35:1 AR curved screen display set up. It was attracting lots of enthusiastic attention. Though
visitors didn't mention noticing it was a wider AR per se, the display seemed to have much more attention-getting impact I think because of it. Everyone was saying it looked like their dream display. Unfortunately it was only showing shots of Hong Kong, no movie content.

But I have to say as a projector owner it sure is hard to be impressed even with a display that size. I'm so used to widescreen images much larger in my home, and of as good or better image quality. Throw in the $130,000 CAD price tag and it sort of became chuckle-worthy. Fun to see, though.

Maybe if one day if OLED gets even bigger...

Just think how big a screen you could have if you had a $ 130,000 projector / screen budget. " You're going to need a bigger house " !!

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #11405 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 685
On a different note, I was at Best Buy Magnolia the other day just casually browsing and a sales guy came up to me and we started talking. We got on the topic of front projection and it was funny how clueless he was. I told him I had a JVC. "Oh, those projectors are really not that bad...," as he implied they were not good either. I didn't bother asking him what he thought was good. I sort of just humored him listening. I told him my scope screen was 9 feet wide and he responded, "Wow, isn't that like a 300" screen?" Funny stuff.
Mike Garrett likes this.

post #11406 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
On a different note, I was at Best Buy Magnolia the other day just casually browsing and a sales guy came up to me and we started talking. We got on the topic of front projection and it was funny how clueless he was. I told him I had a JVC. "Oh, those projectors are really not that bad...," as he implied they were not good either. I didn't bother asking him what he thought was good. I sort of just humored him listening. I told him my scope screen was 9 feet wide and he responded, "Wow, isn't that like a 300" screen?" Funny stuff.

Fact is most mortals have no idea just how good we have it. So many times I go to a dinner party of family event and they are bragging about there "massive" 65in LED. I can't imagine there are too many homes that can top a fully velveted room with a JVC or 4k Sony. Or even the avg projector setup for that matter, size means alot and the image quality of projectors is there as well.
DavidHir, atanuray and zombie10k like this.

James Reid
post #11407 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I was watching Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol on my JVC RS57 last night and I started really noticing the DI. In some scenes with shots changing from dimmer to brighter shots, it looked really bad because it would take a while for the picture to dim down for a dark shot, then a while for it to swing back brighter for a bright shot. It was quite intrusive and I started wondering if my DI was starting to malfunction or something since I never notice it like this.

But then I realised I'd had the IRIS open all the way up because I was using a large image size and the bulb had enough time on it to be somewhat more dim, hence opening up the iris. And I remembered that if you have the iris set in the upper limits close to wide open, the
DI has wider swings to attempt and becomes more obvious. So I presume this is what was happening.

It made me realise that would be another benefit to the purportedly higher light output of the new JVCs coming out (again, if the rumors are true). Having some more horsepower for a bright image but at an iris setting that won't freak out the DI.

Last edited by R Harkness; Today at 06:33 AM. Reason: Mixed up the name of the mission impossible movie we had watched, which was actually Ghost Protocol
post #11408 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
I was watching Mission Impossible Rogue Nation on my JVC RS57 last night and I started really noticing the DI. In some scenes with shots changing from dimmer to brighter shots, it looked really bad because it would take a while for the picture to dim down for a dark shot, then a while for it to swing back brighter for a bright shot. It was quite intrusive and I started wondering if my DI was starting to malfunction or something since I never notice it like this.

But then I realised I'd had the IRIS open all the way up because I was using a large image size and the bulb had enough time on it to be somewhat more dim, hence opening up the iris. And I remembered that if you have the iris set in the upper limits close to wide open, the
DI has wider swings to attempt and becomes more obvious. So I presume this is what was happening.

It made me realise that would be another benefit to the purportedly higher light output of the new JVCs coming out (again, if the rumors are true). Having some more horsepower for a bright image but at an iris setting that won't freak out the DI.

This makes sense, I run my X500 with the iris wide open and find the DI can be really busy at times.

James Reid
post #11409 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
You may recall that at last year's CEDIA the design of the DI for the new JVC projectors was such that if somebody enabled the DI the iris would go to full open to white. Some of us asked for the ability to pick the most open position whether using the iris in static mode or dynamic mode and were told that it was just too late for dynamic mode. I decided to still try to explain why this mattered so at the very least it would be considered for the future.

I ended up being impressed that JVC seemed to listen to some of us and got this feature in before release.

Now it would be nice if this year they added an option to pick the most closed position. Maybe those who are most sensitive to DI artifacts could find a good compromise, like a 3x-5x multiplier from static on/off CR to dynamic on/off CR and those who want a bigger range could choose that (or a person could choose based on material or mood).

I hope they improve the DI algorithms, but either way some kind of control for how closed to the iris goes would be a nice feature even if it just had a few choices.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #11410 of 11416 Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was trying to break the RS57 iris in this video - high paced techno concert with rapid APL changes, That iris is moving!

post #11411 of 11416 Old Today, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 391
You should make that video with your Planar and compare

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #11412 of 11416 Old Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
You may recall that at last year's CEDIA the design of the DI for the new JVC projectors was such that if somebody enabled the DI the iris would go to full open to white. Some of us asked for the ability to pick the most open position whether using the iris in static mode or dynamic mode and were told that it was just too late for dynamic mode. I decided to still try to explain why this mattered so at the very least it would be considered for the future.

I ended up being impressed that JVC seemed to listen to some of us and got this feature in before release.

Now it would be nice if this year they added an option to pick the most closed position. Maybe those who are most sensitive to DI artifacts could find a good compromise, like a 3x-5x multiplier from static on/off CR to dynamic on/off CR and those who want a bigger range could choose that (or a person could choose based on material or mood).

I hope they improve the DI algorithms, but either way some kind of control for how closed to the iris goes would be a nice feature even if it just had a few choices.

--Darin
With JVC's high native contrast, that would be a really good feature. It would boost the contrast and yet make it very hard to tell that a dynamic iris was even being used.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
My Baffle wall Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #11413 of 11416 Old Today, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I was trying to break the RS57 iris in this video - high paced techno concert with rapid APL changes, That iris is moving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTtqowCn_o
I'd consider Tiesto's earlier work to be more Trance than Techno. I saw him perform live at Tomorrowland in Belgium in July. The choreography of all the lights, lasers, fireworks and bracelet LEDs was astonishingly good. To see it live in person was amazing.

Mind you, there was over 100,000 people at the main stage during his set. It was packed.

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 08:34 AM.
post #11414 of 11416 Old Today, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

in my day it started with house, then techno then the hypnotic trance. sounds like a great concert to see in person.

on a separate note, Mad Max is out today, get your copy!

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Max-Fury-B...dp/B00XQ141W8/

it looks remarkable on a good 3D DLP. 1 impression part of the filming is the night scenes. They were smart how they did this - everything was a deep blue but still quite bright,. even in 3D mode.

The sound track will shake a house with the right setup. Butt Kickers were working overtime. I liked it more the 2nd time I watched it, big fan of the original series. definitely demo material when guests come over.

There is a forum thread called "Is 3D dead yet" - apparently it isn't. they keep coming out with these great looking 3D movies that at least some of us are enjoying in our HT setup. I get that genpop didn't embrace it in the home, but I also don't see genpop with 7.1 setups or Atmos. All future Marvel movies will be in 3D, still plenty of Animations to come, Avatar 2, Pacific Rim, etc. still some things in 3D to look forward to. 2009-2016+, not a bad run for 3D considered how short lived it was in the 50's and 80's./
post #11415 of 11416 Unread Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I'm definitely going to check it out on the Z17K. Then on the 1100ES. Just curious is there's a huge difference in performance between the two when it comes to 3D.
post #11416 of 11416 Unread Today, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
There is a forum thread called "Is 3D dead yet" - apparently it isn't. they keep coming out with these great looking 3D movies that at least some of us are enjoying in our HT setup. I get that genpop didn't embrace it in the home, but I also don't see genpop with 7.1 setups or Atmos. All future Marvel movies will be in 3D, still plenty of Animations to come, Avatar 2, Pacific Rim, etc. still some things in 3D to look forward to. 2009-2016+, not a bad run for 3D considered how short lived it was in the 50's and 80's./
VR is coming and it's all about 3D. 3D is just getting started -- Why? Because when you finally get to see it the way it was meant to be seen you realize there's no going back. To quote Jack Nicholson -- "You want real? You can't handle real (Or something like that )."
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page