Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Here's the steps I follow when cleaning a projector, in the event of a lamp failure or just for routine maintenance. It's also posted in my HT build thread, link in my sig.
Note: steps 9 & 10 are JVC specific, so adjust those steps as necessary.
SAFETY NOTICE: Perform the below steps in a well ventilated area and wear latex gloves, a mask, and a ground strap!!! Be sure to dispose of the waste at an approved Hazmat site!!! Lamps contain Mercury so if you aren't confident in tackling this job yourself, take the projector to a specialist.
1) Be sure the projector has been unplugged for at least an hour, but still be careful working around any capacitors (wear a ground strap).
2) Carefully remove the failed lamp and place it in a disposables container.
3) Open up the projector (there's ~30 screws) and extract all the little pieces of glass and dust, with canned air and/or an electronics vacuum.
4) Clean the fan blades as this will help cool the projector more efficiently and will also make it run quieter.
5) Clean the glass in front of the lamp and the main lens, with a camera lens cleaner kit.
- First, blow off the glass with canned air to remove any larger particulates that could potentially scratch the glass during the wiping process.
- Hold a bright LED flashlight at an angle to the glass in order to make it easier to see any particles and streaks left behind from cleaning with the solution.
- Gently wipe the glass in a circular motion with two pieces of lint-free paper doused with cleaning solution.
- Quickly switch over to a fresh microfiber cloth and gently wipe the glass in a circular motion to dry up the solution before it has time to leave streaks.
6) Use canned air and/or an electronics vacuum to extract any leftover debris.
7) Repeat steps 4-6 as necessary...this took a few tries before I got it streak and debris free, but it's worth the extra time, IMO.
8) Install new OEM lamp.
9) While the projector is still off but plugged in, reset the lamp timer.
- On the remote, quickly press the 'Back-OK-Hide' buttons then immediately hold the 'Down Arrow' button for a few seconds until the lights on the front of the projector blink.
10) Flash the latest firmware (r1211.6).