Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 409 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2369Likes

Old 12-07-2015, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Also, for HDR on the JVCs. JVC recommends Gamma D obviously but also the Reference preset for color (P3 gamut) and high lamp mode.

Will these eventually get triggered automatically from an hdmi 2.0a device?

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Looking to buy more Triad speakers. Got some to sell? Hit me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
I wonder if you could setup an HDR like gamma curve for the older JVCs for those files using a desktop and JVC's software.

Or you might be able to play these to a previous JVC if you could reencode them to get an appropriate curve knowing that the JVC will have a 2.2 to 2.4 gamma.

I wonder if the Roku 4 will convert these to 1080p for output and keep the same curve. I would love to be able to try that with a 1080p OLED I am getting that doesn't support HDR if I could figure out how to change its curve enough.

The streaming sounds like it will be an issue for the older projectors although these files might work if people could program an HDR type curve and maybe streaming would even work later.

--Darin

At the moment, the HD fury Integral only helps to make non-HDR sources send HDR metadata to make them compatible with HDR displays (so they detect the HDR steam and switch automatically to HDR mode. They even offer the option to use the CEC commands to convert the SP/LP on the remote to HDR ON / HDR OFF so that you don't have to use the PC or there Android (soon iOS) app.

They plan to help converting non HDR displays to HDR in the near future. Their f/w is evolving very quickly, I'm still waiting for them to publish more info about the HDR features of the Integral, but it looks very promising. Of course this won't bring more brightness or more contrast like a new model would, but I'm hoping to be able to test this with my X500 by the time the X7000 shows up. As it already takes care of the HDCP 2.2 issue, it helps bringing the gap with the newer models for those like me who don't need the extra brightness. Users of X700/X900 (rs57/rs59) are in an even better position as they can use the existing filter to create a DCI profile using the JVC Autocal software and they should be able to cover close to 100% of P3 that way. They don't need the Spyder meter to do this, although of course the mode won't be fully calibrated in that case.

Last edited by Manni01; 12-07-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
This is difficult to capture in a single exposure but believe me looks great in person when adjusted correctly to the HDR image. Highlights do not appear as blown out in person.

Zombie, this is interesting! I have one question and a request. If you take a screenshot of this frame and look at it through a picture viewer, will the resulting picture look the same as in the video? How would this picture look with adjusted D gamma settings and with standard gamma settings? Can you take a comparison photo?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
HDR - well that was easier than I expected.

HTPC -> Nvidia GTX 780i -> PowerDVD 15 -> RS600 -> Gamma D -> tweak the picture tone settings
That display chain is 8-bit. You might get some kind of output but it's not what was intended. You need 10-bits or more to fully pass native HDR. If you're going to try this with a PC, you need a video player that runs in D3D full-screen-exclusive mode with a 10 bit or 16-bit per channel presentation/scan-out buffer. Short of some workstation-specific cards, that is the only way a consumer GPU can output more than 8-bits to a display. The player would also need to pass those 10-bits from the source without messing with the values when it converts YUV to RGB. I really doubt this is going to work correctly on a PC until there is official HDR support added to Windows.

Best short term bet would be something like a Roku 4. Their Sigma Designs SoC supports it but I'm not sure if they'll get the licensing and firmware sorted out to do HDR on this generation of hardware.
Elix likes this.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
That display chain is 8-bit. You might get some kind of output but it's not what was intended. You need 10-bits or more to fully pass native HDR. If you're going to try this with a PC, you need a video player that runs in D3D full-screen-exclusive mode with a 10 bit or 16-bit per channel presentation/scan-out buffer. Short of some workstation-specific cards, that is the only way a consumer GPU can output more than 8-bits to a display. The player would also need to pass those 10-bits from the source without messing with the values when it converts YUV to RGB. I really doubt this is going to work correctly on a PC until there is official HDR support added to Windows.

Best short term bet would be something like a Roku 4. Their Sigma Designs SoC supports it but I'm not sure if they'll get the licensing and firmware sorted out to do HDR on this generation of hardware.
Good point, I forgot that PDVD15 doesn't support 10bits when I discussed this with Jason in the other thread, although I did mention MadVR as an alternative. You are correct that without a 10bits chain it's not possible to get 10bits HDR content like these clips displayed properly. I'm using MadVR in 10bits FSE for 2D playback, so I'll try this when I get the X7000.

Jason, you might want to try this instead. PM me if you'd like a few pointers regarding using MadVR in FSE mode to get 10bits output.

The Roku 4 doesn't support HDR yet, and neither does the NVidia Shield, so a PC set to RGB PC levels in 4:4:4 with MadVR in 10bits FSE seems to be the best bet for now. This won't work with my HD7870 as it forces 8bits RGB in UHD, so I'll have to wait until I get the Club3D active DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 converter to get a proper HDMI 2.0 18Gb/s output.

Alternatively, the "out of the box" easy option might be the Sony 4K player (FMP-X10) as this is what JVC and Sony used to demo HDR clips at IFA and Cedia. This might be a safer option than a PC for now, until we get a combination of GPU/Drivers/software that actually handles HDR in 10bits without corrupting the content at some point in the chain. The Sony player doesn't support HDMI 2.0a but it seems to work fine if you switch manually to HDR on the display (or use the HD Fury Integral).
Carbon Ft Print likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 12-07-2015 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Also for 'Color Temp' - you see I started with a 6500K baseline, this wasn't perfect out of the box and needed some adjustment as expected. I had to pull down some red and green for the gains and green and blue for the offsets. Greyscale tracking is good when adjusting 30/80 IRE but will need some help @ 5-20 with the help of the auto-cal software + meter.

Sorry for the newbie question zombie10k, but just to clarify: Are you saying that all users would benefit from the Colour Temp changes you recommended here ( ie -8 Red Gain, -4 Green Gain , -19 Offset Green , -11 Offset Blue ), or are these figure specific to your unit and derived from a "partial" calibration reading?
Thanks for your help on getting things started.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Good point, I forgot that PDVD15 doesn't support 10bits when I discussed this with Jason in the other thread, although I did mention MadVR as an alternative. You are correct that without a 10bits chain it's not possible to get 10bits HDR content like these clips displayed properly. I'm using MadVR in 10bits FSE for 2D playback, so I'll try this when I get the X7000.

Jason, you might want to try this instead. PM me if you'd like a few pointers regarding using MadVR in FSE mode to get 10bits output.

The Roku 4 doesn't support HDR yet, and neither does the NVidia Shield, so a PC set to RGB PC levels in 4:4:4 with MadVR in 10bits FSE seems to be the best bet for now. This won't work with my HD7870 as it forces 8bits RGB in UHD, so I'll have to wait until I get the Club3D active DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 converter to get a proper HDMI 2.0 18Gb/s output.

Alternatively, the "out of the box" easy option might be the Sony 4K player (FMP-X10) as this is what JVC and Sony used to demo HDR clips at IFA and Cedia. This might be a safer option than a PC for now, until we get a combination of GPU/Drivers/software that actually handles HDR in 10bits without corrupting the content at some point in the chain. The Sony player doesn't support HDMI 2.0a but it seems to work fine if you switch manually to HDR on the display (or use the HD Fury Integral).

2 options I have read about not tested myself are...
So if you want HDCP 2.2 HDR support, you will have to buy a GeForce GTX 960 or GTX 950 (HEVC Hardware 4:2:0 10b support) and connect that to your HDCP 2.2 display, Nvidia driver support.
OR
Hybrid HEVC HDR support
Intel HD Graphics 5500 / 6000
Intel Iris Graphics 6100
using the appropriate filters for playback integrated in the latest MPC-HC x64 + 64bit LAV video decoder.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post
2 options I have read about not tested myself are...
So if you want HDCP 2.2 HDR support, you will have to buy a GeForce GTX 960 or GTX 950 (HEVC Hardware 4:2:0 10b support) and connect that to your HDCP 2.2 display, Nvidia driver support.
OR
Hybrid HEVC HDR support
Intel HD Graphics 5500 / 6000
Intel Iris Graphics 6100
using the appropriate filters for playback integrated in the latest MPC-HC x64 + 64bit LAV video decoder.
You can but with an AMD HD7870, a 960 or a 950 are a sidestep or downstep power wise, which is why I recommend getting the upcoming Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter (http://club-3d.com/index.php/product...e-adapter.html) which gives you HMDI 2.0 (Level A) and HDCP 2.2. Then you can either pair it up with an existing GPU like my HD7870, or with one of the much more powerful available GPUs (like the Fury/Fury Pro/Fury Nano/980Ti), which unfortunately still don't support HEVC or VP9 decoding in 10bits (but at least you'll get much better hybrid HEVC decoding and decent 4K gaming / excellent 1080p gaming). The 960 is a really weak GPU for games, especially in 4K, so it's an option for an HTPC but not for a gaming/HTPC hybrid.

Also you will need MadVR in FSE mode as it's the only renderer able to output 10bits AFAIK. What you are mentioning are ways to display HEVC faster, not ways to display HDR content properly. I'm currently asking the authors of MadVR/LAV/MPC-BE if there is a chance we can get the content displayed properly with MadVR in FSE mode and with which settings for the GPU/drivers/decoder/renderer.

Anyway this is why I've decided to keep my HD7870 with a Club3D adapter (in order to give it full 18gb/s bandwidth and HDCP 2.2) and wait until Arctic Islands (for AMD) deliver proper hardware acceleration for HEVC 10bits, as this is what we're going to need for UHD Bluray content (or the demo files Jason has used which are 10bits HEVC HDR UHD).

I might spring for a Roku 4 as it supports Amazon Prime and has HEVC acceleration, but the lack of HDR (or HD Audio) support is a bummer. The NVidia shield is another option, and Kodi support is nice (with frame rate switch and HD Audio pass-through unlike the Roku 4), but no Amazon Prime in UHD or HDR (I think you can only sideload the HD/SDR player)... Looks like there is no perfect player yet.

Last edited by Manni01; 12-07-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post
Sorry for the newbie question zombie10k, but just to clarify: Are you saying that all users would benefit from the Colour Temp changes you recommended here ( ie -8 Red Gain, -4 Green Gain , -19 Offset Green , -11 Offset Blue ), or are these figure specific to your unit and derived from a "partial" calibration reading?
Thanks for your help on getting things started.
This is only for zombie10ks RS600 and has nothing to do with any other, it will only be a coinsidence if yours need exactly the same adjustments.

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
calibration software: Lightspace and Calman
meters: Klein K-10 A and Jeti 1501 on preorder Soon to be THX II certified.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
This is only for zombie10ks RS600 and has nothing to do with any other, it will only be a coinsidence if yours need exactly the same adjustments.
Thanks Andreas21, I thought that was probably the case.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
...I like how shocking it is when there is a black out scene. I have to thank the JVC and my friend Joann for her royalty 3 fabric.
Did you cover the wood grained grey shelves?
Old 12-07-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Samsung Demo
Just to be clear, this is an Hdr on RS600? This is one hell of an amazing looking image? Any chance to show the same next to 1080p to see what difference hdr is bringing?
billqs likes this.

Last edited by SherazNJ; 12-07-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 588
No offense to zombie, but I don't see how we're going to be able to "see" what a 150,000:1 HDR image looks like on a 1000:1 SDR computer monitor.
nathan_h and Craig Peer like this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
correct - the screenshot cannot represent how it looks it person. It's just to show the proof of concept that the JVC's gamma setting can handle the HDR content.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post
Thanks Andreas21, I thought that was probably the case.
Dave, hi I edited the document to make this more clear. The best you can really do without calibration equipment is leave it at the default 6500 setting with all levels set to 0.

@ Rob-Houston - everything will be covered. I have 10 rolls (over 400 feet) of the Royalty 3 left. Guests will be asked to wear Ninja suites when entering the room.
RonF likes this.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Just to be clear, this is an Hdr on RS600? This is one hell of an amazing looking image? Any chance to show the same next to 1080p to see what difference hdr is bringing?
it looked much better in person. It's impossible to capture this correctly with a screenshot - as Stanger pointed out, most monitors have terrible contrast ratio and the photo itself would have need 1/2 dozen different exposures with an HDR blend to try and capture the dynamic range I am seeing with the eye.

Elix -to answer your earlier question - without the Gamma D the image is completely washed out.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Dave, hi I edited the document to make this more clear. The best you can really do without calibration equipment is leave it at the default 6500 setting with all levels set to 0.

@ Rob-Houston - everything will be covered. I have 10 rolls (over 400 feet) of the Royalty 3 left. Guests will be asked to wear Ninja suites when entering the room.
How wide is the fabric, and are you willing to sell me some??

Regards
Andreas
My Homecinema
calibration software: Lightspace and Calman
meters: Klein K-10 A and Jeti 1501 on preorder Soon to be THX II certified.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
correct - the screenshot cannot represent how it looks it person. It's just to show the proof of concept that the JVC's gamma setting can handle the HDR content.
Sure, although as PDVD doesn't support 10bits it's not the real deal yet. Also it's quite likely that PDVD strips the HDR metadata that is needed for the content to be displayed properly.

Also, have you found the setting in the JVC which allows the user to specify the value for peak white in HDR?

Content in HDR10 (like these demo files or upcoming UHD Bluray) are/will be mastered to 1000nits, as they have panels users with ambient light in the room, not PJ users in a dedicated room. This setting should allow you to optimize the translation between the original content mastered to 1000nits in HDR10 and the capability of the display.

I think I remember seeing such a setting in the pre-prod f/w, but I couldn't see it in the manual. Is it buried somewhere in production units, or is it gone?

Also, have you selected the P3 filter to play the files? I think the cinema 2 color profile is calibrated for DCI/P3, so probably engages the filter. It would be nice to see if the files are encoded with the wider gamut or with rec-709. They are flagged as bt2020, so it could be either way.

By the way, talking to Madshi (developer of MadVR) following my query about HDR on doom9 in the MadVR thread, he's working on HDR support in MadVR at the moment, so hopefully we'll get something working properly soon

So no point in trying anything for now, at least on a PC, it won't work as intended (although I'm sure it's possible to display something that looks very nice).

Last edited by Manni01; 12-07-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well you should have told me to skip PDVD 15.. All things considered, it looked pretty impressive once I adjusted the picture tone settings.

so a few things I'm confused about if you can clarify further. Should I try the MadVR at this point or does it need further development to see those file correctly?

it looks like some conflicting info on the Roku4 - what are your thoughts here?

besides the very limited content on that page and 2 shows from Amazon, is there anything else that has HDR on the horizon to see?

I did not see those settings you are referring to but will look closer. I'll also go back and try the Cinema 2 color profile as well.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well you should have told me to skip PDVD 15.. All things considered, it looked pretty impressive once I adjusted the picture tone settings.

so a few things I'm confused about if you can clarify further. Should I try the MadVR at this point or does it need further development to see those file correctly?

it looks like some conflicting info on the Roku4 - what are your thoughts here?

besides the very limited content on that page and 2 shows from Amazon, is there anything else that has HDR on the horizon to see?

I did not see those settings you are referring to but will look closer. I'll also go back and try the Cinema 2 color profile as well.
Yeah, sorry about PDVD15, brain fart on my part, I completely forgot it was pointless to try it as it doesn't support 10bits rendering. I did warn you though that there was no guarantee the software will output the content correctly

Yes, no point in trying any PC Software right now. We need 10bit out and MadVR is the only renderer that does it, and it doesn't support HDR at the moment. Interestingly, Madshi is saying that MadVr will support HDR with a standard gamma curve, ie without having to select PQ Gamma on the display (preset D). I have no idead how or why, but it's interesting because that means MadVR can handle the content without us having to change the display mode (it is already able to apply the correct 3D LUT according to the content, say PAL/NTSC/Rec-709/P3, so I guess the idea is to be able to display the content correctly without having to change anything manually on the display).

I'll let you know as soon as MadVR supports HDR. In the meantime, get ready by making sure you can get it to work in 10bits FSE (full screen exclusive) mode, as this is what you're going to need for HDR.

My thoughts on the current 4K players are as follow:
- Roku 4: Full 18Gb/s bandwidth (great) but no HDR support yet. No Kodi support either (does support Plex though), no HD Audio passthrough either, and no frame rate switch (I think it's locked to 60p, no 23/24p). So not so great. Main pluses are Mgo (no HDR though) and Amazon Prime support (HD/UHD only, no HDR).
- NVidia Shield: Full 18Gb/s bandwidth (great) but no HDR support yet. Kodi supports, with auto refresh rate and HD Audio passthrough. But it doesn't support Amazon Prime in UHD or HDR (you can sideload the HD/SDR version only).
- Amazon Fire TV 4K: slow HDMI 1.4 chipset (10.2Gb/s), no HDR either, so pointless really, a Roku 4 is much better if you absolutely need Amazon Prime, otherwise a Shield with Kodi should give better results (both video and audio).
- Sony FMP-X10: looks like the only option to test HDR content at the moment on the JVCs.

I'm going to wait for HDR support in MadVR. I might upgrade my HD7870 to a Fury if the Club3D adapter works well and if that allows me to get decent HEVC hybrid decoding. Otherwise I'll wait for Artic Islands.

I do plan to get a UHD Bluray player as soon as they become available next year, so I'm hoping I'll get Amazon 4K support included, possibly with HDR this time (as well as Netflix 4K). Given the poor quality of streaming, it's mainly for testing purposes so as neither the Roku 4 or NVidia Shield support HDR I think I'm going to pass for now and improve the HTPC. As I'm using MadVR for all my calibration, scaling and playback needs, that's what makes most sense.

There is very little HDR content available with streaming, and everyone is waiting to see which of the competing formats is going to become the standard.
Here is the reference thread for HDR content: Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

I think an HDR standard will be announced at CES. I'm hoping it will be HDR10, but it could be Dolby Vision too.

If they don't get this right, it's going to be very difficult to get the various formats to take off. Way too confusing for the end-user...
Carbon Ft Print, Elix and AVrox like this.

Last edited by Manni01; 12-07-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
it looked much better in person. It's impossible to capture this correctly with a screenshot - as Stanger pointed out, most monitors have terrible contrast ratio and the photo itself would have need 1/2 dozen different exposures with an HDR blend to try and capture the dynamic range I am seeing with the eye.

Elix -to answer your earlier question - without the Gamma D the image is completely washed out.
I was already sold on the image but as you said, it looks even better in person :-). Can you compare same image with non-HDR and share what difference do you see? I guess it doesn't make much sense now to show them side by side since we can't capture true picture quality in HDR thru camera.
Also what's the gain on your screen? Its HP so I'm assuming its doing a great job with HDR Too bad I can't go with HP since I am using AT screen
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I have the 67U and I was wondering if the 600 is just a brighter version of what I have. In my theater room, it's plenty black, so the extra lumens are not critical. I was wondering if anyone who went from the 67 to the 600 sees any discernible difference that would warrant the $$$.

Thanks, Drury
Old 12-07-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Interesting. I think I should download some demo content myself and play around with gamma on my CRT monitor. It is capable of >>100000:1 native contrast and 100 cd/m2. Or course it's not 1000 cd/m2 and it's not HDR compliant. But when watching this monitor in a completely dark environment let's imagine we're looking at a very small projected image. Normal SDR content already looks HDR to me. And here I wonder will HDR-encoded content with properly adopted gamma look any better than SDR content with pure-power gamma?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I'm curious. The image with the huge wave breaking ..... is that an "art" type rendering or real photo somewhere? Seems like near the bottom on the left quarter of the screen there is a horse and rider?? Not a good place to be if that's the case.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 775
@zombie10k , your signature link doesn't work for those that use a different number of posts per page than the default. I always use 100 posts per page. Makes for quicker reading. You can use the Post tags instead of URL tags and then it works for everyone.

Do it like this: [Post=39521362]JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info[/post]

JVC RS600 - Manual download, Menu settings explanation, basic getting started info

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator
- Advanced Audio Optimization
Old 12-07-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
Interesting. I think I should download some demo content myself and play around with gamma on my CRT monitor. It is capable of >>100000:1 native contrast and 100 cd/m2. Or course it's not 1000 cd/m2 and it's not HDR compliant. But when watching this monitor in a completely dark environment let's imagine we're looking at a very small projected image. Normal SDR content already looks HDR to me. And here I wonder will HDR-encoded content with properly adopted gamma look any better than SDR content with pure-power gamma?
I think people here are caught up on the contrast side of HDR. While dynamic range is obviously a big factor, our projectors have been capable of far more contrast than HDR needs for a really long time. What HDR brings more than anything is really color and highlights. The luminance capabilities of HDR are far higher percentages in relation to white for colors, something that we haven't had in our previous mastering capabilities. I've been to a few HDR demos now including a very nice controlled one last week at Spectracal's offices and what stood out more than anything was color reproduction and detail in highlights. Viewing side by side with Blu-ray content on a calibrated monitor, colors looks FAR FAR better with the HDR graded content (Dolby Vision in this case) and many areas that were clipped with the Blu-ray had obvious detail in the highlights in the HDR content. The guys at Spectracal also commented that the biggest benefit to HDR will be the color reproduction compared to what we have now.
RonF, nathan_h, dlbeck and 4 others like this.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine

Sealed spare lamp for current and last year JVC projector for sale - $325 shipped PM ME!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also, for HDR on the JVCs. JVC recommends Gamma D obviously but also the Reference preset for color (P3 gamut) and high lamp mode.
Quote:
Can you please share the settings you had for Lamp and Iris. Were you running it high as Kris mentioned? What was Iris set to?
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've been to a few HDR demos now including a very nice controlled one last week at Spectracal's offices and what stood out more than anything was color reproduction and detail in highlights. Viewing side by side with Blu-ray content on a calibrated monitor, colors looks FAR FAR better with the HDR graded content (Dolby Vision in this case) and many areas that were clipped with the Blu-ray had obvious detail in the highlights in the HDR content. The guys at Spectracal also commented that the biggest benefit to HDR will be the color reproduction compared to what we have now.

I hope you'll be able to convince them to support HDR10, or at least the HDR10 as it's supported in the JVCs, because they don't seem interested at the moment and only support Dolby Vision with Calman. So unless they find a way to implement this, the JVC Autocal will be the only way for Calman users to get an HDR calibration with the new JVC models...
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
You can but with an AMD HD7870, a 960 or a 950 are a sidestep or downstep power wise, which is why I recommend getting the upcoming Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter (http://club-3d.com/index.php/product...e-adapter.html) which gives you HMDI 2.0 (Level A) and HDCP 2.2. Then you can either pair it up with an existing GPU like my HD7870, or with one of the much more powerful available GPUs (like the Fury/Fury Pro/Fury Nano/980Ti), which unfortunately still don't support HEVC or VP9 decoding in 10bits (but at least you'll get much better hybrid HEVC decoding and decent 4K gaming / excellent 1080p gaming). The 960 is a really weak GPU for games, especially in 4K, so it's an option for an HTPC but not for a gaming/HTPC hybrid.

Also you will need MadVR in FSE mode as it's the only renderer able to output 10bits AFAIK. What you are mentioning are ways to display HEVC faster, not ways to display HDR content properly. I'm currently asking the authors of MadVR/LAV/MPC-BE if there is a chance we can get the content displayed properly with MadVR in FSE mode and with which settings for the GPU/drivers/decoder/renderer.

Anyway this is why I've decided to keep my HD7870 with a Club3D adapter (in order to give it full 18gb/s bandwidth and HDCP 2.2) and wait until Arctic Islands (for AMD) deliver proper hardware acceleration for HEVC 10bits, as this is what we're going to need for UHD Bluray content (or the demo files Jason has used which are 10bits HEVC HDR UHD).

I might spring for a Roku 4 as it supports Amazon Prime and has HEVC acceleration, but the lack of HDR (or HD Audio) support is a bummer. The NVidia shield is another option, and Kodi support is nice (with frame rate switch and HD Audio pass-through unlike the Roku 4), but no Amazon Prime in UHD or HDR (I think you can only sideload the HD/SDR player)... Looks like there is no perfect player yet.

Yeah that's kind of a bummer on the Roku4 and it certainly sounds like they don't feel any rush to do so; taking a wait & see how it all shakes out approach…

Roku 4 - Common Questions
Most 4K TVs are smart TVs. Why would someone need a Roku 4 player?
Roku offers a better streaming experience than most smart TVs. In addition to the 4K aspect, we give consumers one of the biggest streaming channel lineups, the most comprehensive and unbiased universal search and discovery features, a great mobile companion and much more.

Why would someone with an HD TV want/need a Roku 4 player?
The Roku 4 is great for both HD and 4K UHD TVs. We believe it’s our best streaming player ever made. From a hardware perspective it has a fast quad-core processor, 802.11ac MIMO wireless, remote finder, voice search, 1080p UI, optical audio out and more. The Roku 4 provides an incredible streaming experience regardless of the resolution of your TV.

Do I need a 4K TV to use the Roku 4?
No. We designed the Roku 4 to be the best Roku player ever, whether you have an HD TV or a 4K UHD TV.

How do I stream 4K Ultra HD content with the Roku 4?
To view native 4K UHD content, the Roku 4 must be connected to a compatible 4K Ultra HD TV via HDMI. The TV must support the latest industry standard, which is referred to as HDCP 2.2. Some TVs assign 4K Ultra HD streaming to certain HDMI inputs which may be labeled as “4K” “4K Ultra HD,” “UHD,” “Ultra HD,” or “HDCP 2.2.” Once connected, you will be able to view 4K content from one of the streaming channels on the Roku platform that features 4K content.

We’ve included helpful notifications during the setup process to help consumers connect to view 4K content and ensure they’re receiving the best viewing experience with their specific TV.

What speed of broadband do I need to stream 4K UHD?
Our content partners recommend between 12-15 Mbps of bandwidth to receive the full level of quality.

Why isn’t there more 4K content available?
It’s a similar situation to when HD first came out. It takes time for everyone to embrace and adapt but the industry is moving towards 4K UHD and we expect it to be more widely available in the not too distant future.

What is HDCP 2.2?
HDCP 2.2 is part of the HDMI 2.0 specification, which is required for 4K UHD. It refers to the copy protection technology that the movie and television studios have agreed upon to allow Netflix, Amazon and other streaming content providers to deliver 4K UHD content. HDCP 2.2 doesn’t require a special HDMI cable, although some 4K UHD televisions will only enable HDCP 2.2 on some HDMI inputs.

Will Roku 4/4K UHD streaming work with my receiver?
In order for your 4K UHD TV to display a full, native 4K UHD stream, the entire HDMI signal path must be HDCP 2.2 compatible. This means that any device between your Roku 4 player and your 4K UHD TV must also have an HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI input and output.

What is the benefit of 60 fps?
4K UHD isn’t just about the increased resolution. The Roku 4 will deliver up to 60 frames per second, which is the highest frame-rate possible for 4K UHD streaming. Higher frame-rates make video appear more crisp with less blurring, especially for content like action, sports, and video with lots of slow motion.

Does the Roku 4 support HDR?
Roku 4 does not currently support HDR video for 4K UHD. There is no industry standard yet for HDR, even from TV manufacturers, and certainly none for streaming. We believe it’s best to wait to see where the industry discussion goes before adding this support to our product.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Manni01,

Are you certain that the fmp-x10 is HDR capable? I was going to buy one for that purpose but I'm not finding any confirmation of this, nor is it listed in the specs. Also I don't believe it has HD Audio pass thru.

Will the JVC be bright enough to realize the true benefits of HDR?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector