Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 436 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3764Likes
post #13051 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 950
For those interested in 3D and the new JVCs --

The RS400 and RS-500 have pretty much the same quality of 3D. I've checked some tough scenes on both and they handle (or don't) these scenes in exactly the same manner.

Cross talk canceller -- All I can ascertain is that decreasing the number (-) lowers the light through the glasses, while increasing the number (+) increases the light through the glasses. Epson had three adjustments, which essentially did the same thing -- low, medium and high. Low will produce the least amount of cross-talk just like a negative number will give you less cross-talk with the JVCs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13052 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Have you tried the actual JVC owners thread (which lately this thread has seemingly become & don't get me wrong I don't mind having to follow two different threads for my owned machine knowldgebase, but it sure would be a whole lot easier to only need one… I would imagine the other non-owners at this point feel the same way when they come looking for "shootout" information to assist them in their buying decision, then have to read pages upon pages of JVC owners commenting about their new machine). Just my 2 drachmas.

I absolutely agree. Lots of talk about calibration and settings. That would be better left in a JVC Calibration/Settings thread. As a Mini Shoot thread, I was hoping to read more about the differences between this year's model versus last years, and versus new entrants such as the Epson LS10k.
alebonau likes this.
post #13053 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Regarding the glasses. You have to keep pushing the button until the light flashes a couple if times in quick succession. This takes a few seconds. Then the glasses are on. They turn off by them selves when they loose the signal.
rak306 likes this.

post #13054 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I've had 3 different Z20K units here and in it's iris fully open mode it doesn't look too spectacular, but with it closed on a modest sized high power screen it looks wonderful. Sharp, very high in contrast and plenty of image depth. Though, even with the latest firmware, they never truly added proper 24p support. All they did was allow to send a 24p signal and have it do 3:2 pulldown. So in panning shots you could still see a little judder here and there. That was the one flaw with this unit. I think they couldn't add in proper support for it because the video processing solution was done in-house by Sharp and it probably didn't have the proper on-board hardware to retrofit proper 2:2 pulldown of 24p sources.
Did you do any contrast measurements to confirm the S&V review results? Strangely, they reviewed it twice. In the second review they got lower results of 6350:1. Different reviewer so maybe different throw/zoom ratio affected the results.

How was the rainbow effect on this unit? Any idea if input lag is suitable as a second "gaming" projector? Also, the reviews mentioned fan noise being on the louder side.
post #13055 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
kevin, hi sorry I missed this, the thread is moving too fast..

I do still have the mini 3D, but mainly use it for the pattern generation when calibrating the projectors using their built in controls. I haven't used it for the auto-cal in a long time. I will likely keep it for a while for this purpose.

I did order a Spyder 4 Pro, it should arrive by the end of the week. hopefully it's decent enough to work properly (I'll compare it first to Tom's calibrated Display 3 meter). I do want to fix greyscale @ 5-20 IRE, it's not that far off but should be better based on the 30IRE offsets. The HW65 I had here recently had excellent tracking from 5-100 and each step in between.

I was looking at the Darbee last night combined with the new e-shift + MPC changes. I still like the Darbee effect, I had it at HD 30 setting and thought it looked great. Maybe when UHD becomes mainstream I won't miss it as much but still enjoying it for now.

edit: yes - hard to believe how well they did with 3D. I was watching Sammy's Adventure's last night and have a few screenshots to post to show how well it does with very tough scenes. There isn't a Sony out today that can out-do what JVC just did here for x-talk. Hard to believe JVC sold 2 projectors to DV - the toughest 3D customer on the forum.
So when using the Darbee do have the Clear Black off or are you also using this and if so what settings ?
post #13056 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Edit: 12/13/2015 - adding screen adjustment mode table

edit: 12/14/2015 - added link to Manni's excellent primer on 2016 JVC Autocal software.

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/projector/screen/

JVC makes it hard to find the user manual - for those interested, here is a PDF of the full manual for the 2016 models.

http://hometheaterphotos.com/project...016_Manual.pdf

Basic settings / Menu options

The first option you choose when setting up the projector is the 'Picture Mode'. examples, film1, Thx, Natural, etc. I always go for 'User1' to start with because this becomes my '2D Low' setting (you can change the profile username unlike the Sony which is a PITA).

Once this is selected, you can then choose the 'Color Profile', 'Gamma Setting' and also the 'Color Temp'.

From there, you can set user adjustments for each selection. So for Color Profile in 2D low, I select 'Custom1' with the CMS turned off. This is as close as it gets to an R709 setting with good saturation tracking. For Gamma, I choose the user mode where you can set a specific baseline such as 2.3. For the color temp, also a user mode where you can set a baseline of 6500K which then allows specific adjustments to the gains and offsets.

So when I'm done calibrating the projector, I end up with 3 picture modes. 2D Low, 2D high and 3D high. When going into 3D, you must manually change the picture mode or it will be in 3D, but in either 2D low/high picture mode, depending on what you were watching in 2D.

Here are some example screenshots to follow from the description above:

Picture Mode

In this screen, you can see I renamed 'user 1' to '2D Low' - this makes it easier to identify which mode to select.

going into the picture mode menu, you will see the following options. If you would like to lower the iris, change the 'lens aperture' setting to manual - then adjust the iris to your liking - then turn 'auto2' back on. This will now use the dynamic iris, but only go as bright as your set iris level.

to understand what the 'Clear Black' setting does - look at the description and example below. I like to keep it on low or medium and iris set to 'Auto 2'

going back to the picture mode settings, here is what the 'Color Profile' setting looks like

Also for 'Color Temp' - you see I started with a 6500K baseline, this wasn't perfect out of the box and needed some adjustment as expected. I had to pull down some red and green for the gains and green and blue for the offsets. Greyscale tracking is good when adjusting 30/80 IRE but will need some help @ 5-20 with the help of the auto-cal software + meter.

Note: this is just for my specific JVC, most projectors will be different. Without calibration equipment, leave these settings at 0.

Gamma Setting - set it to 'Custom 1' and choose 2.3 as the baseline.

Details from JVC on the Picture Tone, Dark Level and Bright Level settings.

My recommendation - find a number of scenes in a movie you are familiar with and try the various adjustments. You'll quickly see what each setting does and can adjust to your liking.

This is obviously not a substitute for a full calibration, but a good general overview of how to get started - especially if you have never worked with the JVC menu system. If you have any questions, please post them in the thread for discussion.

** Please see this link for a detailed discussion on the JVC auto-cal software. Currently it requires a Spyder 4 Pro or Elite, Spyder 5 support will be added sometime in Q1/2016.

JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600)

enjoy your new JVC!
So any advantage of getting the Spyder 5 and wait until JVC does the software update for the Spyder 5 vs getting the Spyder 4 now and calibrating the projector.
now? Is the Spyder 5 a better product and since the JVC is supplying the software so we just need the Express unit instead of the Elite system.
Thanks
post #13057 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenell View Post
I absolutely agree. Lots of talk about calibration and settings. That would be better left in a JVC Calibration/Settings thread. As a Mini Shoot thread, I was hoping to read more about the differences between this year's model versus last years, and versus new entrants such as the Epson LS10k.
There's been discussion so far about this year's models vs. previous JVC's, Sony's, etc. you have to go back and read through the thread. we already posted info on how the JVC will excel vs. the Epson in 3D xtalk in the link below.

JVC RS600 - 3D L/R Patterns vs. several other projectors

There's a very small number of LS10K owners on this forum, not likely to see a showdown of these 2 soon unless someone arranges another get together. This could work though - buy the Epson LS10k, send it for review and we'll answer every gritty detail you want to know about the RS600 vs. The LS10K.
post #13058 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMELVIN View Post
So when using the Darbee do have the Clear Black off or are you also using this and if so what settings ?
some of this is personal preference but I still run the Darbee combined with the clear back on low or medium. The clear black is mainly for low APL images like the example I posted above. I usually run the darbee at HD 25-30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMELVIN View Post
So any advantage of getting the Spyder 5 and wait until JVC does the software update for the Spyder 5 vs getting the Spyder 4 now and calibrating the projector.
now? Is the Spyder 5 a better product and since the JVC is supplying the software so we just need the Express unit instead of the Elite system.
Thanks
there is some speculation that the Spyder 5 may be more accurate than the 4. JVC has mentioned support for the 5, but there is no specific ETA yet. I've been able to get a great calibration with my ID3/Chromapure setup since the dE's for the R709 setting are very low. impressive OOTB performance here.
post #13059 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4478 Post(s)
Liked: 2240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Did you do any contrast measurements to confirm the S&V review results? Strangely, they reviewed it twice. In the second review they got lower results of 6350:1. Different reviewer so maybe different throw/zoom ratio affected the results.

How was the rainbow effect on this unit? Any idea if input lag is suitable as a second "gaming" projector? Also, the reviews mentioned fan noise being on the louder side.
I never got a chance to measure these units for contrast when they were here unfortunately. I would have to say, from the way they looked on screen, yes they were close to 9000:1 on/off contrast, but you really needed a high power screen to take advantage of it because of how low the peak white lumen out was when the iris was this far closed. A ton of light was sacrificed to get contrast this high.
post #13060 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
For those interested in 3D and the new JVCs --

The RS400 and RS-500 have pretty much the same quality of 3D. I've checked some tough scenes on both and they handle (or don't) these scenes in exactly the same manner.

Cross talk canceller -- All I can ascertain is that decreasing the number (-) lowers the light through the glasses, while increasing the number (+) increases the light through the glasses. Epson had three adjustments, which essentially did the same thing -- low, medium and high. Low will produce the least amount of cross-talk just like a negative number will give you less cross-talk with the JVCs.

Thanks for the info. On the JVC's the crosstalk controls will actually raise or lower the 3D lumen output as well (pre-glasses). On the Sony projectors, this is not the case. The glasses will change brightness due to timing setting changes but no perceived brightness change of the projected image. I believe this is the same thing on the Epson as well but please verify if you still have yours.
post #13061 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
This is for those like me, who are new to JVC, and couldn't figure out which 3D glasses would work with the JVC - so they just bought the expensive JVC version. (I got mixed messages on polarization- most said horizontal, one said vertical, some said it depended on if your screen preserved polarization. All fine and good, but no manufacturer specifies what polarization they use).

Two days previous, I had charged the glasses. So I put in a 3D disk in my Oppo 103, and without the glasses, I could see a double image as expected. But with the glasses, it looked the same - no 3D.

I read the JVC projector manual (the glasses don't come with a manual), and all it said was turn on the glasses. Of course, I couldn't find the on/off switch. After quite a while I spotted it as a small flush rectangular push-button on the inside right hand stem, just over the charging port.

Now it seams, (again, no instructions), if you push it, a red light temporarily goes on, blinks, then goes off. It appears to take about 3-5 seconds before it starts working.

So I see the red light go off, and since it isn't working (I didn't wait the 3-5 sec), I'm thinking, the battery mush have discharged. So I push the button again, and the red light goes on, blinks, then goes off. I look through the glasses and still no 3d. So I try my second pair, same thing. Now I think, maybe the transmitter is bad, or not plugged in. The transmitter was fine.

What I believe was happening was once I turned the glasses on, I did not wait long enough for them to work. I then hit the on/off button again, and turned the glasses off.

I do not see any indication on the glasses that they are On or Off other than they work or don't work when looking at the 3D screen. Perhaps there is one, but not that I can tell. To me, this means you should always turn off the glasses while looking at a 3d image, so you can be sure they are off.
first time you use them they have to synch lock. after that they are switch on and off. its a dicky setup no question. so after the first time, just jab the button till flicks into 3D

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #13062 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
What I believe was happening was once I turned the glasses on, I did not wait long enough for them to work. I then hit the on/off button again, and turned the glasses off.

I do not see any indication on the glasses that they are On or Off other than they work or don't work when looking at the 3D screen. Perhaps there is one, but not that I can tell. To me, this means you should always turn off the glasses while looking at a 3d image, so you can be sure they are off.
This is a good observation on the Xpand RF glasses (either JVC OEM or Xpand 105) - I still struggle with these once in a while - wondering if I didn't charge them before they suddenly synchronize after some button mashing.
alebonau likes this.
post #13063 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
There's been discussion so far about this year's models vs. previous JVC's, Sony's, etc. you have to go back and read through the thread. we already posted info on how the JVC will excel vs. the Epson in 3D xtalk in the link below.

JVC RS600 - 3D L/R Patterns vs. several other projectors

There's a very small number of LS10K owners on this forum, not likely to see a showdown of these 2 soon unless someone arranges another get together. This could work though - buy the Epson LS10k, send it for review and we'll answer every gritty detail you want to know about the RS600 vs. The LS10K.
LOL Ok then. I'll order it now. Too bad AVS doesn't stock them, but they do carry some of the other models which doesn't make sense to me. What address do I use to send the LS10k. Just kidding of course, but you made me outright laugh when I read your reply.

I have been reading through the entire thread (retaining only so much ), but hoped the discussion would deepen. However, perhaps the conclusions have already been sufficiently made.

Re. Crosstalk, I saw the comparison L/R screens. The RS500/600 were perfect, while the LS10k did show some crossover of the L/R channels. I'm not sure whether it was discussed that the LS10k used 480hz processing between L & R channels in the glasses to reduce crosstalk. In addition, I believe they were able to double response time of the display chips via by creating a duplicate display line (i.e. 300 to 600 lines?), to try to compete with DLP's faster display rate which makes it ideal for 3D. I believe this is a display refresh rate, but not exactly sure. I know I'm not explaining this perfectly, so feel free to correct my translation. My point is that I'm curious if that could sufficiently help offset a less than perfect crosstalk test.

I'm very impressed by what I've heard about the latest JVCs. What concerns me is that there appears to be issues that are new to this model (based on new user comments) that are disturbing. It does appear that the improvements outweigh the negatives. I also wonder how much of this has to do with Quality control, and whether it was brought out to the market prematurely. Maybe they are aware of some of these issues and already have plans to come out with some firmware updates. I'm not sure what must be corrected for those that are displaying excessively bright corners, or brightness around a black center. It is surprising that some have it badly, and others can barely notice them. I wonder if that's not more of a hardware issue. Anyhow, as others have said, it's not to bash a product but to have a full conversation about all aspects, whether they're good or bad. I'm very excited that they've made a huge improvement in 3D, both in improving crosstalk performance and extra lumens, which sounds like a home run.
post #13064 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I wasn't kidding, we've had several members send in their projectors for review / comparisons in the past.

if you go back to the start of any projector thread from it's original release - the deep dive discussions can sometimes be enough to scare off most casual parties who might be interested in that specific model. Certain observations can be taken out of context, especially if you don't have an easy way to see these in person. There is sample variance with every manufacturer. That's why you buy from reputable dealer who will help if there is an issue. When a model is popular, you're going to hear a ton of feedback.

I have 5 different projectors here right now and each one has it's own unique pros and cons. The trick is figuring out which one best suites your viewing preferences. or for some of the obsessed folks here, run multiple projectors and pick the unit that best suites the content.

None of these models we are discussing are bad choices, all have very good PQ which makes picking one that much tougher.

We probably have a full year to wait to see if Epson will follow up with V2.0 of the LS10K. They let the 5030 go on for over 2 years, some were surprised they didn't refresh the LCD model this past year. But it does make sense - The 5030 would need a major overhaul to compete with the D65 lumen output of the similarly priced Sony HW40 (more than double the D65 lumens).
post #13065 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenell View Post
Re. Crosstalk, I saw the comparison L/R screens. The RS500/600 were perfect, while the LS10k did show some crossover of the L/R channels. I'm not sure whether it was discussed that the LS10k used 480hz processing between L & R channels in the glasses to reduce crosstalk. In addition, I believe they were able to double response time of the display chips via by creating a duplicate display line (i.e. 300 to 600 lines?), to try to compete with DLP's faster display rate which makes it ideal for 3D. I believe this is a display refresh rate, but not exactly sure. I know I'm not explaining this perfectly, so feel free to correct my translation. My point is that I'm curious if that could sufficiently help offset a less than perfect crosstalk test.

I'm very impressed by what I've heard about the latest JVCs. What concerns me is that there appears to be issues that are new to this model (based on new user comments) that are disturbing. It does appear that the improvements outweigh the negatives. I also wonder how much of this has to do with Quality control, and whether it was brought out to the market prematurely. Maybe they are aware of some of these issues and already have plans to come out with some firmware updates. I'm not sure what must be corrected for those that are displaying excessively bright corners, or brightness around a black center. It is surprising that some have it badly, and others can barely notice them. I wonder if that's not more of a hardware issue. Anyhow, as others have said, it's not to bash a product but to have a full conversation about all aspects, whether they're good or bad. I'm very excited that they've made a huge improvement in 3D, both in improving crosstalk performance and extra lumens, which sounds like a home run.
The new JVCs are not perfect when it comes to handling cross-talk. They're very good but cross-talk does raise its ugly head once in awhile. The L/R 3D test pattern for the JVC is somewhat misleading since it looks as good as a DLP would show -- in reality this is not the case.

I don't know what to make of the "bright corners" issue. My RS-500 does have brighter corners than the centre. Is there sone variance between units or are some members here just more fussy than others (or a combination of the two)? No idea. For me it is only an issue when the projector is syncing (that's the only time I notice those corners). I'll be very much surprised if JVC can fix this with a FW update -- it would be nice but I'm not holding my breath. This certainly is not a deal breaker for me but probably is for some on this forum. Personally I feel the RS-400 is a best buy, and if asked, it's the one I would recommend to a friend.
DavidHir and BruceJK like this.
post #13066 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

nice - that honeymoon was over quick. how often are you seeing x-talk? ready to go back to DLP?

I see it once in a blue moon and think it looks good with a lot of tough content - not just the L/R patterns. This is definitely better than the Epson 5030 and any Sony projector (1080P or 4K). Plus the deep contrast that none of the mentioned projectors have.

post #13067 of 16499 Old 12-28-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

theres one thing about talking about it …another having it in front of you to experience. I for one would never have imagined the step up am seeing from my 2 gen old jvc x35. something zombie on record saying was as good as it gets. well up until very recently….let me tell you whether 2D or 3D the x7000 quite a jump up,

worried about variable quality, faulty units. buy from a reputable dealer surely one going to back you up. if the thing is a pig you should know pretty soon if its that obvious and throw it right back ! thats what good dealers are for….thats why you buy form them…let them earn their keep !
billqs and Yzfbossman like this.

post #13068 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
I'll make a deal with someone. I'll send my calibrated epson 10k to zombie, if one of you guys with multiples of the new JVC's will send me one to try out in my space during the interim. I take excellent care of my gear, and would do the same to your unit, but this way we would all be happy to see the comparison, and I would stay happy not being projector-less for an extended period of time. I'll start taking offers immediately!
DavidHir, zombie10k and lancenell like this.
post #13069 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
nice - that honeymoon was over quick. how often are you seeing x-talk? ready to go back to DLP?

I see it once in a blue moon and think it looks good with a lot of tough content - not just the L/R patterns. This is definitely better than the Epson 5030 and any Sony projector (1080P or 4K). Plus the deep contrast that none of the mentioned projectors have.

Hello zombie,

Today i watched some more tough content in 3d like Sammy,monster vs aliens,turbo and many more.

This time i used the monster vision 3d glasses at there default settings.

I am totaly blown away what this JVC can do in 3d,and yes i am a ghost hunter..

The best i ever seen for a non dlp projector!
alebonau likes this.
post #13070 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
Hello zombie,

Today i watched some more tough content in 3d like Sammy,monster vs aliens,turbo and many more.

This time i used the monster vision 3d glasses at there default settings.

I am totaly blown away what this JVC can do in 3d,and yes i am a ghost hunter..

The best i ever seen for a non dlp projector!
good to hear the Monster Vision 3D kit is working well. I told you it was better than the Sony projectors in 3D.
post #13071 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
good to hear the Monster Vision 3D kit is working well. I told you it was better than the Sony projectors in 3D.

I am totally impressed with the monster 3d glasses and the JVC 3d,absolutly stunning.

With the optoma z2100 3d glasses there was some ghosting,but with the monster its hard to believe what you see for a non dlp projector.

Please try them also zombie and let me know if i am not going crazy lol.
post #13072 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
sorry for the double post.i clicked to fast!
Good lord post dump! Just go in and delete the double post. Go to "Edit post" then click on delete. Works better than apologizing.
post #13073 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6160 Post(s)
Liked: 3970
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I'll make a deal with someone. I'll send my calibrated epson 10k to zombie, if one of you guys with multiples of the new JVC's will send me one to try out in my space during the interim. I take excellent care of my gear, and would do the same to your unit, but this way we would all be happy to see the comparison, and I would stay happy not being projector-less for an extended period of time. I'll start taking offers immediately!
I sent my VW600 to Zombie and was going to send my RS600 to him, but did not need to, since he bought an RS600.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #13074 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There was no honeymoon -- I demoed the JVC for 3D before I purchased. I've been waiting for some time for JVC projectors to have quality 3D (little cross-talk and the lumens). It's now good enough for me -- I can live with a little (and I do mean only a little) cross-talk if I can have stellar contrast and a bright image on my 120" 2.8 gain HP screen. You really do need to let the projector warm up for a good 20 minutes or so before watching 3D material. I now have the JVCs synced with my Teranex processor and the JVCs can handle that 3D torture test quite well.

I'm going to demo the LS10000 since I now have some experience with the RS-500 and see how the LS10000 stacks up (contrast, brightness, colour, 2D and 3D).
d.j. likes this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 12-29-2015 at 04:27 PM.
post #13075 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
There was no honeymoon -- I demoed the JVC for 3D before I purchased. I've been waiting for some time for JVC projectors to have quality 3D (little cross-talk and the lumens). It's now good enough for me -- I can live with a little (and I do mean only a little) cross-talk if I can have stellar contrast and a bright image on my 120" 2.8 gain HP screen. You really do need to let the projector warm up for a good 20 minutes or so before watching 3D material. I now have the JVCs synced with my Teranex processor and the JVCs can handle that 3D torture test quite well.

I'm going to demo the LS10000 since I now have some experience with the RS-500 and see how the LS10000 stacks up (contrast, brightness, colour, 2D and 3D).
after running 3D on the epson 9000(5030 ub) moving to the jvcx35 I used to find it would take good 20 min or so to settle for 3D. but now actually finding the x7000 only needs about 6 min. that was on last viewing of nemo from cold start. the 6min might be material dependant but its definitely under 10 min. felt the same watching art of flight though again this might be a material dependant thing

post #13076 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Hey Zombie... Finally tried out 3D on my RS500 and I'm not getting nearly the results you are talking about.

I'm using the Mit XPAND glasses and emitter. There is pretty noticeable ghosting. I was using the "IMAX Under the Sea 3D" disc. Even during the opening credits I could see ghosting around the letters. In the potato cod scene, there was a large ghost.

I suspect it's just the Mit XPAND glasses don't work well in my setup. If I turn my head 90 degrees the image is ever so slightly brighter, but the 3D effort is much worse. As a general perspective, it's currently noticeably worse than my HW30's 3D.

Any thoughts on tweaking? Or I just need a different set of 3D glasses (why would another be better?)

Thanks!
post #13077 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4478 Post(s)
Liked: 2240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post
Hey Zombie... Finally tried out 3D on my RS500 and I'm not getting nearly the results you are talking about.

I'm using the Mit XPAND glasses and emitter. There is pretty noticeable ghosting. I was using the "IMAX Under the Sea 3D" disc. Even during the opening credits I could see ghosting around the letters. In the potato cod scene, there was a large ghost.

I suspect it's just the Mit XPAND glasses don't work well in my setup. If I turn my head 90 degrees the image is ever so slightly brighter, but the 3D effort is much worse. As a general perspective, it's currently noticeably worse than my HW30's 3D.

Any thoughts on tweaking? Or I just need a different set of 3D glasses (why would another be better?)

Thanks!

It's most likely the glasses. My Sim2 Lumis 3D-S looked AWFUL with XPAND X103 glasses. Once I switched over to my estar RF glasses ghosting was completely gone as it should be a for a DLP projector.
post #13078 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

post #13079 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
These were the Xpand glasses from Amazon that came with the RF transmitter?
Yes. "Active shutter 3D glasses designed for Mitsubishi TVs". "XPAND 3D Glasses Lite RF with RF Emitter".

Looks like X105-M1 BT and EX105-M1 for the glasses and emitter, respectively.
post #13080 of 16499 Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

ok, let me charge mine up and I'll take a look at that documentary later tonight.
MadMyers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page