Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2970Likes

Old 01-10-2016, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Metallica Through the Never 3d blu is excellent all around!

My favorite concert for strictly audio (not to mention a killer performance) is still Talking Heads Stop Making Sense. The video quality is not great, but the audio is reference (studio mix option) and the concert itself is fantastic. Always amazing to me how this 30+ year old show sonically blows away the majority of modern blu ray concerts I have heard.

I personally could not get into the 3d PG concert with the orchestra. I like PG and have a few of his other blu rays and/or dvds, but I have tried a few times with this 3d show and I cant even get through it all. Just didn't work for me.

Thanks for the Killers rec and I will track that down.

Will also track down the Alice In Chains show as I have not seen that (thanks Zombie).
+10 - That Talking Heads concert is amazing on the audio....!

The Alice in Chains DVD is still available, highly recommended

http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Chains-M...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

5 Star ratings across the board on this set
Toe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
So when are you changing your Avatar?

I know.... tough to do with the slick look of that Sony bad boy ..... back to an RS JVC that has looked the same for the past 4 years or more.
mbw23air and krichter1 like this.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Just ordered! Looking forward to it! Going to wait for my new surrounds before watching which I should be getting in the next few weeks or so.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for all the concert recommendations, have just stacked my Amazon cart with over $100 worth of concert blu-rays.....
Craig Peer likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
I happened to see his name here:

https://twitter.com/ultrahdbluray

He had a ton of great experience, I don't see him on the forum anymore.

DV- How was the 3D x-talk on the Epson? also 3D brightness compared to the RS400?
I'll be able to make more informed comments when I get the LS10000 into my HT and onto my HP screen -- which by the way allows me to actually maximize contrast (as explained and illustrated quite well by Darin in his post in this thread made a week or two ago about the potential contrast advantage of a higher gain screen) by using most if not all of the range of the manual iris (both the JVC and the Epson have manual irises as well as a DI or laser modulation in the case of the Epson) which I couldn't do with a regular gain screen and still have a comfortably bright image. (I find it interesting that people here insist that to do a fair comparison between projectors the projectors should be brightness matched. Why? Is the answer because with all other things being equal the brighter projector has an advantage because brighter [especially with front projection] just looks better?)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
IMO, you haven't seen 3D presently properly -- the 600 can not do it on a 1.0 to 1.3 gain screen. It may look better than other 3D projectors because of its brightness but even it can not do 3D justice with its hands tied behind its back. 3D sucks the life out of an image (brightness) and we have to find a way to put that life back into the image. A 1.0 or 1.3 gain screen won't cut it.

Having recently seen the JVC 400, X700 and Epson LS10000 in demos (2D and 3D) with 1.0 to 1.3 gain screens I can understand your position. I wouldn't even bother with 3D if I was restricted to seeing it with one of these ultra expensive (useless in my opinion) screens. In fact, I wouldn't even bother with front projection, even for 2D, with such a screen -- I'd buy a very large UHD flat panel with HDR (preferably OLED) so I could actually see what was on the screen. (Just a rant)
I too have never has a single person balk at the brightness or quality of the image I am getting in my space. Even when I just had the benQ w7000. I have never seen an HP screen in person, but it would never work for me anyways, as I need AT.

Quote:

Two of my absolute favorites. Bar-none. I have used that AIC set as acoustic audio demonstrations ever since it first released on CD. I think I've burnt through at least 2 copies of it before my library went all into my phone/PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post
Thanks for all the concert recommendations, have just stacked my Amazon cart with over $100 worth of concert blu-rays.....
Keep stackin' then :

Roger Waters :The Wall (Very impressive visually and audio is up there)
Muse: Live at Rome Olympic Stadium
ColdPlay: Live 2012
Dream Theater: Live at Budokan
Experience Montreaux (Quincy Jones)
John Bonamassa: Most his discs are very well done.

I could keep going, but I will limit my suggestions to prevent all you guys from going broke this month
Old 01-11-2016, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Before the VW1100 goes off to its new owner this week, I spent about 2 weeks closely looking at it vs. the RS600, JVC-RS46 and the .95 DC4 Planar.

The recent discussion in the VW1000 thread is unfortunately being taken a bit out of context. It's not about seeing posterization artifacts while close up. From my perspective, I simply think the built in 1080P scaling / processing is too aggressive. I said this 2 years ago when I first got it and still feel that way today.

In these examples - This is the VW1100 vs. itself. One with the built in scaling / processing (Cinema Film 1, least impact built in setting) , the other with the HTPC @ UHD res with the PC doing the scaling. To my eyes, 1 looks processed, the other looks truer to the original source.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/157661

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/157663

The VW1100 can produce an excellent image with the HTPC / MadVR setup. I just didn't see the value in keeping such an expensive projector where I needed a separate rig to feed it 1080P content. The VW600 is a newer projector and the scaling / processing is less aggressive. I was hoping those changes would have made it in the VW1100 upgrade, but it didn't.

Most other projector threads are open to talking about projector issues but this seems to be an extremely sensitive topic for this specific model. Perhaps due to the fact that it costs as much as a car. In addition, there is a potential concern for contrast loss that has been validated on a number of systems. Cine4home tried to post his experience over a range of different units he has seen and was quickly chased away. I would welcome Ekki any day to please join us here in this thread to follow up on this topic.

This is why I started this thread - I welcome all of you to continue asking questions and posting your experiences here - this is a 'no judge' zone.
nathan_h, Toe, Deja Vu and 4 others like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Zombie, just curious about the light output differences in Reference mode vs Cinema 1. From memory this preset eats a lot of light, correct?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ok, so I spent some time last night watching some 3D material with the RS600. I took a look at Gravity first and it looked pretty amazing, so all was good. I then put in Fury Road and was surprised to see a fair amount of ghosting/x-talk in a number of scenes. This kind of surprised me, since everything I read so far in this thread seemed to indicate the new models were a big improvement in this regard over the previous generation of JVC’s. I played with the cross talk adjustment a little, but it didn’t offer any improvement. Does anyone have any settings that might help eliminate the ghosting a bit? I am using xpand 105BT glasses with a JVC emitter.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Zombie, just curious about the light output differences in Reference mode vs Cinema 1. From memory this preset eats a lot of light, correct?
I thought this mode engages the filter, but it appears it doesn't. I was able to calibrated this mode to D65 @ 1052 lumens in low lamp and 1560 in high lamp.

it's the least aggressive looking preset. VW600 was better here and was hoping those changes were going to make it into the VW1100 upgrade but it didn't happen.
Seegs108 likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post
Ok, so I spent some time last night watching some 3D material with the RS600. I took a look at Gravity first and it looked pretty amazing, so all was good. I then put in Fury Road and was surprised to see a fair amount of ghosting/x-talk in a number of scenes. This kind of surprised me, since everything I read so far in this thread seemed to indicate the new models were a big improvement in this regard over the previous generation of JVC’s. I played with the cross talk adjustment a little, but it didn’t offer any improvement. Does anyone have any settings that might help eliminate the ghosting a bit? I am using xpand 105BT glasses with a JVC emitter.
Hi, can you post a few time stamps? i'd like to take a look. thx!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 2527 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
Quote:
At CES there were UHD BD players announced by Panasonic, Philips and Samsung. I didn't see an announcement from Sony but found this info.

They have a number of new HDR TV's coming out, it would be surprising if they didn't have a UHD player soon.

Exodus and the Martian will be the first 2 disks I pick up.

Some interesting info from our old friend Petri that used to post here all the time:

Samsung UHD Blu player might also be one helluva media player. Recognizes 14 containers, supports max. 80mbps 10-bit HEVC 4K & UHD at 60fps.

I specifically asked several people at Sony at CES about a 4K Blu Ray player. They had no clue. Not even the guy demoing the stacked 4K laser projectors knew anything.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Epson 5040 / 6040 now available The new JVC RS4500 available for pre order !

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
Old 01-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
... which by the way allows me to actually maximize contrast (as explained and illustrated quite well by Darin in his post in this thread made a week or two ago about the potential contrast advantage of a higher gain screen)..
I must have missed that post - do you have a link? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
I must have missed that post - do you have a link? Thanks.
I'm guessing he is referring to these:

Projector Mini-Shootout Thread

Projector Mini-Shootout Thread

--Darin
rak306 likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I'll be able to make more informed comments when I get the LS10000 into my HT and onto my HP screen -- which by the way allows me to actually maximize contrast (as explained and illustrated quite well by Darin in his post in this thread made a week or two ago about the potential contrast advantage of a higher gain screen) by using most if not all of the range of the manual iris (both the JVC and the Epson have manual irises as well as a DI or laser modulation in the case of the Epson) which I couldn't do with a regular gain screen and still have a comfortably bright image. (I find it interesting that people here insist that to do a fair comparison between projectors the projectors should be brightness matched. Why? Is the answer because with all other things being equal the brighter projector has an advantage because brighter [especially with front projection] just looks better?)
I got my LS10k a couple weeks ago. I went with gut instinct after information overload. It's a beautiful looking specimen. I placed the lens 13.5 feet from screen. The screen is a 110 inch 16:9 Vutec Deluxe Silverstar approx 2.8 high gain. Seating is 12.5 feet. It lit my screen up!! I had to set it to Eco mode, and took manual iris down to almost fully clamped. I will see if I can get it to fully clamped and play with my picture mode, brightness, contrast among others. It is so bright still!! I can see sparkling very evidently, and compression artifacts with Comcast cable. The blacks & shadow details are leaps better than my sim2 ht300e pj. The sparkling is a big problem. My Screen has a coating that disperses light to improve viewing angle. I'm told this screen will potentially not work well with 3D and does not hold polarization. I have not had it calibrated yet due to finding an ISF calibrator, & trying to find someone. Hoping the calibration actually brings down lumen output, and maybe even use thx mode to engage color filter to reduce light out even further for this screen. I'm already in process to identify best screen for this pj. God forbid how my sparkling would look on the jvc'a light canon. Vutec now makes a 3D Silverstar that is basically same material but no dispersion coating. I'm curious how 3D looks on my screen, and on an HP gain screen.
It was a breeze to set up, no evidence of bright corners. It powers up in a few seconds and the screen is lit up bright. Noise level is almost inaudible in Eco, and low calming sound in normal and high. I heard no high pitch sounds. It's pretty much as described in the reviews. My girlfriend was absolutely amazed that it was so bright and detailed. She couldn't stop talking about it being such a huge improvement. I never brought to her attention the sparkling. Haha.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:
(I find it interesting that people here insist that to do a fair comparison between projectors the projectors should be brightness matched. Why? Is the answer because with all other things being equal the brighter projector has an advantage because brighter [especially with front projection] just looks better?)
Why? Because controlling for variables leads to a more reliable understanding of cause and effect, leading to a better understanding of what to expect from a given projector.

If someone upgrades from last years model to this year's JVC, using the same screen, and raves "Wow the picture definitely looks sharper and richer in color! JVC must really have upgraded their lens and color gamut!" then that person may be completely mistaken. The increase in sharpness and color vividness may in all likelihood be due simply to the image being brighter. This could lead him, or someone else reading his report, to think they would get those benefits on their own screen. But someone who wants to maintain the same brightness they have, dialing down the JVC, or who changes to a lower gain screen, will not see those benefits because they weren't in fact inherent to the lens quality etc.

None of that requires denying or ignoring the benefits of the higher brightness of a projector on the same screen. It's just a way of understanding what is going on.

This same understanding of variables has guided you as well, to understanding how you can get higher contrast from the same projector than others would get, by using a HP screen.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I specifically asked several people at Sony at CES about a 4K Blu Ray player. They had no clue. Not even the guy demoing the stacked 4K laser projectors knew anything.
My guess is Sony is waiting for the Mediatek chip.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Why? Because controlling for variables leads to a more reliable understanding of cause and effect, leading to a better understanding of what to expect from a given projector.

If someone upgrades from last years model to this year's JVC, using the same screen, and raves "Wow the picture definitely looks sharper and richer in color! JVC must really have upgraded their lens and color gamut!" then that person may be completely mistaken. The increase in sharpness and color vividness may in all likelihood be due simply to the image being brighter. This could lead him, or someone else reading his report, to think they would get those benefits on their own screen. But someone who wants to maintain the same brightness they have, dialing down the JVC, or who changes to a lower gain screen, will not see those benefits because they weren't in fact inherent to the lens quality etc.

None of that requires denying or ignoring the benefits of the higher brightness of a projector on the same screen. It's just a way of understanding what is going on.

This same understanding of variables has guided you as well, to understanding how you can get higher contrast from the same projector than others would get, by using a HP screen.
I was simply using the projector analogy as an example that brighter, all other things being equal, looks better (at least to me) so a brighter screen (higher gain) for me also looks better. One of the reasons I don't particularly like going to theatres to see movies is because many of them show a dull image, especially for 3D and quite often for 2D -- personally I just don't find that very enjoyable. If people are happy with the brightness of their overall projected images then SDR should suffice -- and in the projector world it will probably have to since I doubt very much that HDR will have anything like the impact it will have with flat panels -- at least for the foreseeable future. (I would think if you're going to brightness match to determine what has been improved over last year's model, if anything, then you might want to consider contrast matching the projectors as well since contrast can affect colour saturation among other things).
Citation4444 likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
Quote:

One of my all time favs Jason (big THeads fan), but can I inject if you haven't seen the new Roger Waters The Wall BD w/ Dolby Atmos… it will destroy your room (and the special appearance by David Gilmour (another one of my favs BTW!), doing Comfortably Numb was simply incredible… everyone asked me to play over again, and I told them not until the smoke clears from the room!).

I thought I may have blown one of my Klipsch in-wall subs for a second but it was A.G.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
Old 01-11-2016, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ok you convinced me to upgrade. I have been looking at the Denon AVR-X7200WA to replace the 4311.

last concert favorite for the night - Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds live at Radio City Music Hall.

http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Matthews-...dp/B000T4SWXO/
mbw23air likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
One of the reasons I don't particularly like going to theatres to see movies is because many of them show a dull image, especially for 3D and quite often for 2D -- personally I just don't find that very enjoyable.
This and people with RLS kicking the seats.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 35
@ Zombie

Did you watch lichtmond III 3d on the JVC?
It has some nice relaxing music and great 3d..

These are very high contrast scenes and the JVC handles them very very well..
Its one hell of a 3d trip with some nice pop out effects too.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
ok you convinced me to upgrade. I have been looking at the Denon AVR-X7200WA to replace the 4311.

last concert favorite for the night - Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds live at Radio City Music Hall.

Dave and Tim is one of the better concert blu's i've heard. Its fantastic!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

A reference disc for sure. The key goal on this release wasn't just to sell copies, it was to create the highest quality sound right through from the onstage equipment, recording capture equipment and right through to the HD audio on the disc - uncompromised quality from start to finish.

I also had that 4311 - I'm now with Yamaha which is also worth a look (and much better than the Denon in my view), along with the X7200...
Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:

Love this BD. Amazing sound (and picture) quality. A very good listen for anyone who enjoys acoustical music. Very high resolution disc.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Are you fixing the motion processing each time you start up a new 3D blu?

HT: Panasonic BDT 460 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Marantz AV7005 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut B6 | Focal CMS Sub
Stereo: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
Den: Panasonic BDT 220 | 60" Panasonic VT60
Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
Quote:

Haha… that's what I'm upgrading to at this point (from 5308ci-A), now that I know D&M's not releasing a Ref replacement any time soon.

(love! the Dave Matthews guitar in that one!)

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Hi, can you post a few time stamps? i'd like to take a look. thx!
Hi zombie

The ghosting on my 600 appears on the very first scene of the movie where the Max character is standing next to his car looking out over the valley. The ghosting was most prominent around the buttes/hills that were silhouetted against the bright sky. It would be great if you could take a look at that opening scene to see if it shows up on your unit. If it doesn't, then I would take it to mean that either there is unit to unit variation in 3D performance with the 500/600's, or I need to play around with some settings in my 600.

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Hi zombie

The ghosting on my 600 appears on the very first scene of the movie where the Max character is standing next to his car looking out over the valley. The ghosting was most prominent around the buttes/hills that were silhouetted against the bright sky. It would be great if you could take a look at that opening scene to see if it shows up on your unit. If it doesn't, then I would take it to mean that either there is unit to unit variation in 3D performance with the 500/600's, or I need to play around with some settings in my 600.

Thanks
Mike

Hello did you warm up the projector about 20 minutes?

I will also take a look at this scene on my JVC rs400
Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Dave and Tim is one of the better concert blu's i've heard. Its fantastic!
Agreed! One of the first blu concerts I bought and still one of the best.
Naylorman32 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector