Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 469 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2786Likes

Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Does one really need a 'PC', or can one do this also with a Mac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked: 2726
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
I believe you can run boot camp, but to tell you the truth, it is probably better to just get a cheap PC. This is the only reason why I keep a cheap Acer laptop around.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3544 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I believe you can run boot camp, but to tell you the truth, it is probably better to just get a cheap PC. This is the only reason why I keep a cheap Acer laptop around.
Or borrow a laptop from a friend or family member. I've never seen the appeal of a mac based laptop or desktop. From a consumer software point of view there's far more incentive to use a Windows based machine. Gaming, media playback, third party device variety, DIY repair/replacement options and price to performance are all heavily in favor of Windows based laptops and desktops.
HTPCat likes this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 02-23-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Or borrow a laptop from a friend or family member.
Everybody I know (including daughters, sons-in-law, etc.) uses a Mac.
MadMyers, Andreas21 and BruceJK like this.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's unfortunate. I don't think I know anyone who owns a Mac as a personal computer.
deandob, Craig Peer, stef2 and 1 others like this.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2997 Post(s)
Liked: 2431
Some have both I've been trying to sell my macbook pro for like 3 years now tho, haha.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Same here. Literally, everybody. All my kid's schools used macs, and every kid had a mac laptop as well.

I had to go out and friggin' buy a PC laptop to use with my calibration software, though. (And I never used it).
Old 02-23-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
That's unfortunate. I don't think I know anyone who owns a Mac as a personal computer.
Me.

And lots of my friends.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Me.

And lots of my friends.
Right, that's why I said the people who I know. What's the appeal of a Mac laptop or desktop? Their phones are nice, though.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
You can use parallels and windows. Just make sure than when you connect the usb to serial converter you choose windows.
I did autocal calman calibrations in the past with a jvc rs65 and had no issues. And yes, I only have macs at home.

Last edited by gonzalc3; 02-23-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Am I on the right thread?
d.j. likes this.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
Spare $35,000 ? watch some movies the day they come out in theater.

http://www.primacinema.com/what-is-prima-cinema/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ide-your-home/

$500 per movie, $600 for 3D. Purchase approval is done via finger print scanner, only 1 person gets registered.

that price is for 1 viewing and it has to be done within 24 hours. pausing is OK, no rewind or fast forward.

limited studio support. popcorn is not included.

wow, I can wait a few months for the BD releases. Or if it's a movie I know I'll enjoy in the theater i'll go on a weekday night after 8pm. We just saw Deadpool in a nice local theater that has reclining seats and there were only a handful of other folks there. That movie was outrageous.. banned in China for it's content. I thought it was great.
Elix likes this.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
On the subject of JVC E-Shift. My understanding (which could be wrong - and may in fact be nothing more than assumption) is that :

Both E-Shift 1080p & E-Shift 4K created 2x 1080p images from the source (likely the two 1080p images are different to each other) and E-Shifted them half a pixel.

The key difference between the 1080p and 4K E-Shift is that there are a lot more pixels to choose from to make the 1080p images with a 4K source so it likely uses different algorithms to choose the pixels for the two 1080p images.

E-Shift Auto used whichever of the two algorithms was appropriate for the auto-detected source resolution.

Many people have reported that E-Shift with a 4K source looks better than E-Shift with a 1080p source which in my opinion supports the above assumptions and seems to make sense given that there are 4x the pixels to choose from in a 4K source.

Perhaps some people like the result of forcing the E-Shift 4K algorithm on a 1080p source?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Spare $35,000 ? watch some movies the day they come out in theater.

http://www.primacinema.com/what-is-prima-cinema/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ide-your-home/

$500 per movie, $600 for 3D. Purchase approval is done via finger print scanner, only 1 person gets registered.

that price is for 1 viewing and it has to be done within 24 hours. pausing is OK, no rewind or fast forward.

limited studio support. popcorn is not included.

wow, I can wait a few months for the BD releases. Or if it's a movie I know I'll enjoy in the theater i'll go on a weekday night after 8pm. We just saw Deadpool in a nice local theater that has reclining seats and there were only a handful of other folks there. That movie was outrageous.. banned in China for it's content. I thought it was great.
I'd love to be able to watch new releases at home. I'd probably be willing to go up to $50 for a rental of a brand new movie. That's in the ballpark of what a trip to the theater costs, and I don't have to deal with the subpar presentation there. But $500, yeah, that's not going to happen.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'd love to be able to watch new releases at home. I'd probably be willing to go up to $50 for a rental of a brand new movie. That's in the ballpark of what a trip to the theater costs, and I don't have to deal with the subpar presentation there. But $500, yeah, that's not going to happen.
The $500 per movie is on top of the $35,000.

mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 02-26-2016, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The $500 per movie is on top of the $35,000.
And that is just for one play? Do they at least send you the disc in the post on release? lol

Kaleidescape is a nice half way house, new releases in the Kal store are often some weeks before the blu-ray gets released, and at least you actually own the movie at that point.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The cost is still quite high on that unit vs. the DIY kits out there. I've been using the Mede8ter for almost 3 years now connected to a 40TB storage array. The ~$200 player handles 2D and 3D BD ISO and MKV with no issues. There is no full BD menu support but that is a blessing in disguise since you get quick access to immediately playing the movie. BD lite is fine for navigating movie extras, etc.

I have 4 of these around the house and have inexpensive instant access to my entire movie collection.

http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/mede8er.html
Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I have that as well Zombie, a NAS with Netgear NeoTV 550's and a HTPC, but the death of AnyDVD HD is going to mean maintaining a Blu-Ray ISO based media system is much harder going forward. I was referencing the Kal system more to highlight the availability of movies before their disc release as a comparison to the $35k system.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
The cost is still quite high on that unit vs. the DIY kits out there. I've been using the Mede8ter for almost 3 years now connected to a 40TB storage array. The ~$200 player handles 2D and 3D BD ISO and MKV with no issues. There is no full BD menu support but that is a blessing in disguise since you get quick access to immediately playing the movie. BD lite is fine for navigating movie extras, etc.

I have 4 of these around the house and have inexpensive instant access to my entire movie collection.

Talking about no BD menu, Dune will launch their new player soon and they do support full menu for iso BD and iso 3D BD playback.

Some user as been able to test AND confirm it's working. Here the link : Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player
Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rick thanks for the heads up I will definitely order one of these when available to check out.

From their FAQ these are all the right answers I want to see.

The questions:

Will this unit stream BD ISO, BDMV, DVD ISO, and DVD structures with a menu control? YES
Will this player ignore Cinavia? YES
Will this unit pass HD audio streams like ATMOS and DTS X via bitstream? YES
Will this unit play HEVC 4K content. YES
Will this unit output 4K directly? YES

regarding anydvd - Hydra comes to mind, there's already a number of alternatives. When I buy a movie for $30, I want the physical media so I can play it tomorrow or in 5 years from now without some potential dependency on a provider.

so many folks here were certain that physical media was dead but thankfully we get at least 1 last round with UHD and hopefully it lasts a while.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

I was curious to see what might happen once UHD hit the scene. The Slysloft announcement isn't exactly great news for those that want to rip their collection. And that's not including the difficulties that still remain with the UHD encryption. I'm going to hate having to get out of my chair to load a movie into a disc based player!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
I was curious to see what might happen once UHD hit the scene. The Slysloft announcement isn't exactly great news for those that want to rip their collection. And that's not including the difficulties that still remain with the UHD encryption. I'm going to hate having to get out of my chair to load a movie into a disc based player!
Forced exercise program.

mike@avscience.com
Old 02-26-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
I'm going to hate having to get out of my chair to load a movie into a disc based player!
Unless you're disabled, is it really that difficult?
Craig Peer likes this.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I have that as well Zombie, a NAS with Netgear NeoTV 550's and a HTPC, but the death of AnyDVD HD is going to mean maintaining a Blu-Ray ISO based media system is much harder going forward. I was referencing the Kal system more to highlight the availability of movies before their disc release as a comparison to the $35k system.
Quote:
AnyDVD HD wasn't the only way to decrypt Blu-rays. You can use DVDFab Passkey or MakeMKV (with LAV Filters) for on-the-fly decryption of Blu-rays for playback directly from the disc. You can also use both to rip the Blu-rays.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old 02-26-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
AnyDVD HD wasn't the only way to decrypt Blu-rays. You can use DVDFab Passkey or MakeMKV (with LAV Filters) for on-the-fly decryption of Blu-rays for playback directly from the disc. You can also use both to rip the Blu-rays.
Thanks for the suggestions. Do either of those allow you to make full blu-ray ISO rips?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Do either of those allow you to make full blu-ray ISO rips?
DVDFab Passkey does. You right click the tray icon just like with anyDVD HD and click "rip to image."

Its still uncertain to what degree DVDFab Passkey and MakeMKV relied on keys from anyDVD HD. They could have been reverse engineering the keys from Slysoft. We'll just have to try some new discs and see what happens.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old 02-26-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Unless you're disabled, is it really that difficult?
Not for movies, but for TV it's a bit different. If you collect TV on discs, there's a lot of benefit to ripping them to individual episodes on a server. Good frontends like Kodi then display each episode individually and keep track of which ones you've watched. It's much nicer to fire up a GUI, browse for the show you want to watch, and then scroll to the next unwatched episode than it is to remember which episode you watched last and figure out what disc it's on and then navigate to that episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
There's a rumor/theory going around that MakeMKV and DVD Fab have been piggybacking off AnyDVD's work, using AnyDVD's updates to update their own software. So if AnyDVD isn't updating anymore, there's worry that the others won't be updated either.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
No objective evidence to support that. Ekki has hinted the same ~300:1 ANSI as previous generations across all 3 models in his X5000 series evaluation.
This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but this website lists the RS500 as ~1000:1 at 10% APL. Wish they would test lower 0-10% APL levels too. Compare that to 4000:1 for the VW520 from the other site.

Thanks everyone for sharing your input. If I understand the analogy, you're all saying poor on/off is more distracting than poor ANSI, even though we're limited by the poor ANSI for the vast majority of material. I do remember when I first switched from a CRT HDTV to plasma I was very disappointed in the contrast.

I guess it's all a bit subjective and might explain why some reviewers still prefer the Sony models over JVC/Epson. Hopefully someday we'll get the best contrast across all APL levels in the same projector and we won't have to compromise.
I've riddled this stuff (as many others in here have) down to the equations as well. For one, you cannot you cannot trust measurements or compare measurements really.

I do not think it is subjective, it's like saying a Benq ht2050 could beat a JVC because the Benq has higher ANSI contrast, in 99% of movies you would notice the Benq losing on contrast, it is always the same.

I used to own the Mitsubishi hc4000 (and the hc7800 which was less ANSI) and it had pretty high ANSI in the 700:1+ range, and it was no match for a JVC's contrast in 90% of scenes. I've seen the Runco LS-5 and similar projectors, also own several DLP's and a JVC.

It's not subjective, any half-blind person would agree the JVC has more contrast. You would not convince anyone that has ever seen my theater (30+ people) that the DLP they watched (regardless which DLP it is) is going to look better from ANSI contrast over the JVC in most scenes, and I don't even have a newer JVC.

Now if you get a projector like a Runco or something, you can at least see some difference, better in some things, but overall the JVC is still going to beat it. I like DLP better for watching some types of content, but not for most movies.

Anyhow the problem with JVC was never ANSI contrast, it was an inherent slight noise in the pixel resolution and color issues (yellow tint) in older models, which are fixed in todays' models. The higher ANSI contrast is rarely needed to produce a more contrasty looking image. People would in the old days equate this to "ANSI contrast" difference, when it was really just differences in the how the DLP pixels look to our eyes compared to the LCOS pixels (some sharpness and some immediate pixel contrast resolution)...

I agree there were a few scenes where high ANSI might beat a JVC, but it was VERY VERY rare to notice the difference, 90% of the time native on/off is going to make more difference.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks
OLD --- Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Last edited by coderguy; 02-27-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Not for movies, but for TV it's a bit different. If you collect TV on discs, there's a lot of benefit to ripping them to individual episodes on a server. Good frontends like Kodi then display each episode individually and keep track of which ones you've watched. It's much nicer to fire up a GUI, browse for the show you want to watch, and then scroll to the next unwatched episode than it is to remember which episode you watched last and figure out what disc it's on and then navigate to that episode.
I've got several boxsets of TV shows on disc (DVD and BD) and still never found it an issue. I get what you're saying, but still don't find it a problem to remember what episode I watched and to actually stand up and walk over to the player to swap out the disc for the next when it becomes necessary.
d.j. likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread