Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2711Likes

post #14491 of 14677 Old 06-07-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
you had several good suggestions in the post. Placing the Minolta about 4-6 inches from the lens face provides good consistency.

maybe we can take the temp down a few clicks, I have this waiting for me to watch tonight.

http://www.amazon.com/IMAX-Journey-S.../dp/B01CH6SA9M

Tough decision, but I feel compelled to watch it in 3D first since it's IMAX and they always kill on the 3D.
I've found "off the screen" contrast measurements have a lot of innaccuracy as most meters are pretty poor when it comes to low light measurements. And these are the kinds of measurements you're going to get with the projectors we typically talk about in this subforum due to their general strength in contrast performance. Placing the Minolta close to the lens, while being sure it's not close enough to be outside of the limit of the meters range for peak white, will result in better, more consistent, accurate results. The i1 pro is not as accurate as the Minolta is for lux measurements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14492 of 14677 Old 06-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I've found "off the screen" contrast measurements have a lot of innaccuracy as most meters are pretty poor when it comes to low light measurements.
Any measurement with over 10k:1 difference in level is difficult to measure. That is one reason why I would also like to see contrast ratio measured at a low APL (such as 1%).
post #14493 of 14677 Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
Any measurement with over 10k:1 difference in level is difficult to measure. That is one reason why I would also like to see contrast ratio measured at a low APL (such as 1%).
With the right meter, it can have the proper range to measure a large contrast ratio. The Minolta LS100 that Soulnight has, has a spec'ed range to measure ~1.5 million to 1 contrast. The issue comes is, that past ~10000:1, even a tenth of lux difference can mean a HUGE change in measured contrast. What I've seen pre-reviewers do (like Kris Deering) is explain this and also measure several times to be sure that the measurement was consistent. Kris also measures from the lens, typically 4" away from it, and is normally around where cine4home measures projectors. If you measure from the lens, you're able to soak up more light for the black level reading, which is where there's a lot more variability in measurements. If you're measuring off the screen you literally have less "evidence" (light) to make an accurate reading. Getting as far away from the limits of your measuring equipment will yield more accurate results.
rak306 likes this.
post #14494 of 14677 Old 06-07-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
And you're saying the X7000 does this?

No, I am illustrating a point using a hypothetical example.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
post #14495 of 14677 Old 06-07-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Projector Mini-Shootout Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
Is the MadVR used to scale native 1080P blu-ray to 4K? So, in that case, the 4K is sent to the projector (e-shift for JVC, 4K for 300ES).

I tried it that way at first, I have now settled on using supersampling in MADVR.

This upscales and processes the image to double the original resolution which in this case is 4k and then downscales the higher res image back down to 1080p and feeds it to my projector. Then I am using E-Shift with clear black on low, and the image is absolutely phenomenal.

I never used this with my 300es. That projector natively looked as good as I finally have the JVC looking now due to Reality Creation with 1080p sources. So I sought out a solution to try and get the best possible image quality and now I believe i have it.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
post #14496 of 14677 Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2041 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
like the sounds of that, will be getting. thanks for the heads up. We still now and then watch the imax undersea 3D disc(the one with the turtle).

Will be they be releasing any other imax discs ?

and does it mean it has a uhd and 3D disc as combination rather than uhd/2D ? thats got to be first
There is a UHD disk and a separate BD with 2D and 3D on it. it's only 41 minutes so it's small enough to fit both on 1 disk. I'm copying the ISO now to watch it on the Dune 4K Solo in 3D first. There should be enough time to visit the UHD later tonight as well.

alebonau and Javs like this.
post #14497 of 14677 Old 06-07-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
There is a UHD disk and a separate BD with 2D and 3D on it. it's only 41 minutes so it's small enough to fit both on 1 disk. I'm copying the ISO now to watch it on the Dune 4K Solo in 3D first. There should be enough time to visit the UHD later tonight as well.

Also, the UHD has both HDR and SDR. I found that the SDR provided the best but some parts were excellent on the HDR.
post #14498 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Zombie, if you are ripping the 3D blu-ray, are you able to tell if the blu-ray is region locked, or region free? Apparently the box and the disc show it as region A, but I have read a review that said it is in fact region free.
post #14499 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

ah excellent ! thanks for confirming .... mine looks like its shipped but takes a while longer to get down under so very much look forward to receiving

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #14500 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

can I ask in this thread why the jvc x5000 is being compared with the likes of a sony 520es or epson ls1000 let alone the sony 5000 ? doesnt the x5000 utilise the old light engine and and dont these other projectors cost many multiples more than the x5000 ?

Quote:
The testing concept they are using is good, just make sure and use a meter that is consistent with the majority of the other data out there. A calibrated T10 is not cheap but if you are going to publish data on a website, baseline measures should be at parity with other trusted sources.

While that test is useful, nothing will compare to a stack + split source so you can make your own decision on what visual qualities you find most appealing. The Sony 4K projectors took me out of the movie in low APL scenes and I watch a lot of dark content (sci-fi, stage concerts, etc). I hope they can make real improvements here in the future models.

keep in mind - in the US, the RS500 is 1/2 the street price of the base model Sony 4K projector that doesn't have a DI. There is major bang for the buck on the 2016 JVC models.
the last comparison I saw was the sony 1100es and the humble twice superseded jvc x35...the sony looked like the lite version on a low contrast diet.

ps I know some are talking about a 4k laser jvc at same price point as the 1100es... I truly wonder how that will be possible. if even sony who are a relative giant compared to jvc cant do it how could jvc ? also have heard a few quote jvc insiders and have also had this repeated locally that jvc on purpose didnt go with a native 4k projector. reasons being cost they want to keep their consumer range in the realm of the consumer and also they didnt see the need to go further for the home.... which I can understand. have to keep in mind too the amount they have no doubt invested in e-shift. many generations now... developed with nhk engineers they have now projectors doing upto 8k so not like they cant do it...but likely anything they do will remain e-shift ?

anyways time will tell... I suspect some re being lured by the call of the 4k sirens ...

post #14501 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
can I ask in this thread why the jvc x5000 is being compared with the likes of a sony 520es or epson ls1000 let alone the sony 5000 ? doesnt the x5000 utilise the old light engine and and dont these other projectors cost many multiples more than the x5000 ?

the last comparison I saw was the sony 1100es and the humble twice superseded jvc x35...the sony looked like the lite version on a low contrast diet.

ps I know some are talking about a 4k laser jvc at same price point as the 1100es... I truly wonder how that will be possible. if even sony who are a relative giant compared to jvc cant do it how could jvc ? also have heard a few quote jvc insiders and have also had this repeated locally that jvc on purpose didnt go with a native 4k projector. reasons being cost they want to keep their consumer range in the realm of the consumer and also they didnt see the need to go further for the home.... which I can understand. have to keep in mind too the amount they have no doubt invested in e-shift. many generations now... developed with nhk engineers they have now projectors doing upto 8k so not like they cant do it...but likely anything they do will remain e-shift ?

anyways time will tell... I suspect some re being lured by the call of the 4k sirens ...

We were not comparing them directly, rather we were discussing contrast measurement methodologies and the fact that multiple IRE contrast figures actually tell the whole story.

Perhaps you should also read the 7000 thread before I decided to bring it over here

Epson has a laser unit under $10k why cant JVC have one at the 1100ES price point?

And hoe do you know the 1200ES will not also be laser. High chance it will be IMO.

post #14502 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The point I was getting at in the discussions earlier is on/off contrast especially in the case of a laser projector which has the ability to switch off its laser at 0IRE is no longer going to be a useful measurement.

What is useful is ANSI and the contrast numbers starting at 1% IRE and scaling up to the ANSI levels of 50% IRE. Which is why I posted those graphs earlier from the other projectors.
rak306 likes this.

post #14503 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
We were not comparing them directly, rather we were discussing contrast measurement methodologies and the fact that multiple IRE contrast figures actually tell the whole story.

Perhaps you should also read the 7000 thread before I decided to bring it over here

~
ah ok, didnt make a lot of sense.

Quote:
~

Epson has a laser unit under $10k why cant JVC have one at the 1100ES price point?

And hoe do you know the 1200ES will not also be laser. High chance it will be IMO.
epson again are a giant. and while it has a laser its not really high output or 4k.

who knows what the 1200es is . the point is with regards jvc. what have heard from a few sources and that they aren't a sony. and have a long legacy and investment in e-shift. their 8k projector uses e-shift

http://www.pmaresearch.com/pma-blogs...ft-technology/

I for one am so pleased jvc kept this current range in the realm of the reasonable. some miracle infact I think they kept the pricing where it was. they could have been greedy and gone quite a step up price wise but wise they didnt I think.

post #14504 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

epson again are a giant. and while it has a laser its not really high output or 4k.

who knows what the 1200es is . the point is with regards jvc. what have heard from a few sources and that they aren't a sony. and have a long legacy and investment in e-shift. their 8k projector uses e-shift

Yep so thats a native 4k panel they already have there, thats one down, laser can be already be found in other flight sim JVC units that exist, so they just need to marry those technologies and release a unit. They already have them.

post #14505 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep so thats a native 4k panel they already have there, thats one down, laser can be already be found in other flight sim JVC units that exist, so they just need to marry those technologies and release a unit. They already have them.
yeah but the point missed they use 4k panels for 8k and use e-shift. rather than a native 8k panel ! this is the same approach that they followed with in their consumer line

its not like they dont have the tech or cant do it. but the above is their approach and way they do it to keep things in the realm of the consumer.

same reason for instance they dont do a native 8k projector when the e-shft 8k one already costs $261k !

anyways time will tell...but I wouldn't have your hopes up...

post #14506 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yeah but the point missed they use 4k panels for 8k and use e-shift. rather than a native 8k panel ! this is the same approach that they followed with in their consumer line

its not like they dont have the tech or cant do it. but the above is their approach and way they do it to keep things in the realm of the consumer.

same reason for instance they dont do a native 8k projector when the e-shft 8k one already costs $261k !

anyways time will tell...but I wouldn't have your hopes up...

Ahh I see what you are saying. Why release a 4k panel when supposedly the current panels already are if you take into account E-Shift...

Well they have been claiming that for years now, hopefully this year they decide to step it up a bit.

I can see the pixel grid on my 7000 from sitting ten feet away on the couch when Eshift is off...

Thats not really very good when I lived with native 4k for so long. Its really annoying.

post #14507 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ahh I see what you are saying. Why release a 4k panel when supposedly the current panels already are if you take into account E-Shift...

Well they have been claiming that for years now, hopefully this year they decide to step it up a big.

I can see the pixel grid on my 7000 from sitting ten feet away on the couch when Eshift is off...

Thats not really very good when I lived with native 4k for so long. Its really annoying.
i honestly dont know how you are seeing pixel grid as in screen door for the jvc ? too close ? vs too big a screen ?

and is that probably because you aren't using e-shift ? in anycase I DO not understand sorry since with e-shift 4 on which is what use for 4k you see no pixels...ive taken screen shot CLOSE up and I mean seriously close up even with blu-ray no pixels and it looks STUNNING !

this is lucy blu-ray from my viewing position

this is lucy close up and literally as close as my lens will focus,

I do use eshift with blu-ray though and with the sammy upscaling feeding it a 4k signal it actually works very well as fifth element and leon the professional showed

a native 4 is not whats needed for pixel be gone I dont think. not for me anyways perhaps for yourself not questioning that if feel its needed.

I think have to keep in mind it took 2 years development for jvc to come up with this model. its quite a step forward too, quite a rabbit out the hat not just for 2D but 3D as well. cant expect this next release is going to be such a massive development with whole new light engine, whole new light source gee would even mean a whole new platform case considering the cooling requirement for laser fitting in 4k native light engine etc. this is quite a step up...

look it might happen...but I will be surprised....

post #14508 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i honestly dont know how you are seeing pixel grid as in screen door for the jvc ? too close ? vs too big a screen ?

and is that probably because you aren't using e-shift ? in anycase I DO not understand sorry since with e-shift 4 on which is what use for 4k you see no pixels...ive taken screen shot CLOSE up and I mean seriously close up even with blu-ray no pixels and it looks STUNNING !
I don't see the grid with E-Shift on.

I am not sitting too close, thats totally subjective. Where you sit may be considered miles away to me and other people so each their own regarding that.

I sit 6.5ft from a 120inch screen and my vision is very good, When E-Shift is on, the projector is no longer displaying its native form, its mechanical image processing. It looks really good but its not native sharpness and its not 4k. Its four million native pixels shy of it.

I watch everything through HTPC and Yes I do use E-Shift and the drop in inherent sharpness with it enabled is a trade off that I have to accept to not see a pixel grid. MadVR seems to make it all better though, but I cant begin what that would look like with the absolute sharpness that would come with a native 4k panel.

When I try watching something with E-Shift off, the sharpness of the lens really shines but I see a kind of subtle moire as the grid is on the verge of being totally visible. If I lean forward I can plainly see it.

Furthermore the pixel grid size with E-Shift on is still bigger than the Sony's native pixel size with Reality Creation on.

Regarding your images. Turn off Eshift, stick your nose right up to the screen, see how crisp, sharp and in focus it looks vs the blur it turns into with E-Shift on? Well imagine now if you could have the pixel density of Eshift and the same sharpness you see with it off. If the Sonys had better lenses thats what you would be looking at.

Which is why I am certainly hanging out to see a native 4k JVC. If you think UHD looks good now on the 7000 (it does look amazing btw) wait until the entire panel grid is razor sharp, native, AND there is another four million pixels on the screen which we are completely not even seeing right now. That will be something else

Last edited by Javs; 06-08-2016 at 05:43 AM.
post #14509 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

mechanical processing ? jav how do you think the sony is displaying a 1080p image using a 4k panel ... its not even a direct scale ! there is always going to be some processing going on !

some would argue jvcs method is far superior if you want to watch 1080p you an with a native 1080p panel. if you want 4k they have a solution thats affordable and d@mn I for one aren't complaining for what I paid but understand if you'd much rather a native 4k panel as well

hey I am definitely not going to stick my nose to the screen and pixel peep sorry mate...that is so far away from me viewing movies really not what it is about for me.

I am viewing my screen well within distance to FULLY resolve 1080p if its immersion am within THX spec for immersion as well. and I aint viewing any pixels.

perhaps unaware I ran a non e-shift jvc for 3 and a half years prior ... oh the struggle...not there are probably tons of people out there running non e shift jvcs.

understand if you are seeing what you are seeing and as to viewing distance by all means view at what ever distance that pleases however worth reading the article below from john galt of panavision am not sure if seen it as have posted it before,
https://library.creativecow.net/galt...About_Pixels/1

it goes through the truth about 2k 4k and beyond from the industry rag creative cow. of note is comment "If you sit much closer than 2 ½ picture heights, that's what you're seeing, artifacts, not movies!"

anyways lets see what rabbit jvc pull out the hat this year ...you might be right ... I might be right ... or we both might be just as wrong

post #14510 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"If you sit much closer than 2 ½ picture heights, that's what you're seeing, artifacts, not movies!"

anyways lets see what rabbit jvc pull out the hat this year ...you might be right ... I might be right ... or we both might be just as wrong
I sit 2m / 6.5ft from my 120inch screen (WOW thats close I just pulled out my laser measuring tool to check) and I am certainly not looking at artifacts. That article was written so long ago now, its not as relevant by todays technology capabilities. The IMAX Demo he was referring to is flawed, it was imax film and projected on a film projector too...Have you ever seen a truly tack sharp film projection? I havent, not even IMAX. Interstellar and Dark Knight films where crappy on full blown IMAX, they were sharper in the smaller digital screens, probably why they are using digital laser now a days huh? A digital 4k Projector would appear far sharper than a traditional IMAX film projection, I would argue there would be more resolvable detail in the 4k image vs film once it reaches the huge screen.

According to this, I am almost exactly where I need to be to fully resolve the full 4k image. 7.5ft for 120inch according to this:

Since you have not actually lived with a native 4k unit, we probably need to agree to have a difference of opinion here. Your only experience with a 4k unit, not even a native one at that (and I mean longer than a demo at a dealer) is the JVC you have now as you have said. I lived with my Sony for 1.5 years and put 1700 hours on it at this distance so I am pretty familiar with the pixel density.

If I can currently clearly see the pixel screen door (E-Shift Off) from my seating position it means I am far too close to watch native 1080p 1:1 pixel content and thus I would need to sit 15 feet back to exit the 4k realm and be where I need to be for 1080p, Which means in my situation I need to use scaling, be it Reality Creation or E-Shift...

As I was saying before, heres hoping JVC outs a true native 4k panel, be it 8k E-Shift or whatever I dont care, I wouldn't use E-Shift if it was. I would like to be able to map 1:1 pixels on a screen like I could already do with my Sony and have all the contrast and sharpness of the excellent JVC's optical components to go with it. The lens on this projector is awesome, its a shame I have to blur everything and ruin its inherent sharpness with E-Shift

Last edited by Javs; 06-08-2016 at 05:42 AM.
post #14511 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Any chance that quotes can be limited to relevant detail? Whole post quoting of multiple paragraphs and photos etc will only muddy the thread.

Javs- maybe your screen material is due for an upgrade?

HT: Panasonic BDT 460 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Marantz AV7005 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut B6 | Focal CMS Sub
Stereo: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
Den: Panasonic BDT 220 | 60" Panasonic VT60
post #14512 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any chance that quotes can be limited to relevant detail? Whole post quoting of multiple paragraphs and photos etc will only muddy the thread.
You are right, I removed the pic quotes, was on my phone, didnt notice sorry.

No my screen is very very neutral, matte and super clean. Remember I have had a 4k Sony for some time (See above). Never any issues with pixel grids there. Screen has nothing to do with it.

post #14513 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
The point I was getting at in the discussions earlier is on/off contrast especially in the case of a laser projector which has the ability to switch off its laser at 0IRE is no longer going to be a useful measurement.

What is useful is ANSI and the contrast numbers starting at 1% IRE and scaling up to the ANSI levels of 50% IRE. Which is why I posted those graphs earlier from the other projectors.
Yeah, with manufacturer's using the word infinite, it no longer has any bearing on the actual contrast you get out of the projector.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #14514 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2041 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
6.5 feet from a 120" seems very close but it is a matter of personal preference that no one can argue. You would hate my DC4 .95 Planar. One of the sharpest native 1080P projectors out there with very noticeable pixel grid up close. Although I don't see it sitting 14 feet from my 142" 16:9 HP screen.

I'm guessing that you're speculating about the 1200ES, I highly doubt we will see an update to the VW1100. Sony will likely continue with the 5000ES and the mid-range 4K models through next year. The VW500/600 was on a 2 year run, I expect the same for the current 665, etc.
post #14515 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

I for one am so pleased jvc kept this current range in the realm of the reasonable. some miracle infact I think they kept the pricing where it was. they could have been greedy and gone quite a step up price wise but wise they didnt I think.
JVC has also developed a native 8K projector and they have been selling laser (simulation side) for several years. So I do not see it as a stretch for JVC to bring out a native 4K laser projector. They can easily do it. It is just up to them to decide if it is economically feasible to do so.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #14516 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
6.5 feet from a 120" seems very close but it is a matter of personal preference that no one can argue. You would hate my DC4 .95 Planar. One of the sharpest native 1080P projectors out there with very noticeable pixel grid up close. Although I don't see it sitting 14 feet from my 142" 16:9 HP screen.

I'm guessing that you're speculating about the 1200ES, I highly doubt we will see an update to the VW1100. Sony will likely continue with the 5000ES and the mid-range 4K models through next year. The VW500/600 was on a 2 year run, I expect the same for the current 665, etc.

Leaning right back into the couch its just over 7 feet. Very nicely fills my field of vision which is how I like it in the cinema too.

I am actually hoping for a laser 4K JVC. If its somewhere around the 1100ES Price point I will buy one.

We'll see what happens

post #14517 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
6.5 feet from a 120" seems very close but it is a matter of personal preference that no one can argue.
Everything that isn't a cold, hard fact is "personal preference", but there is merit to discussing these things. I could set up my projector on the floor directed at a screen mounted on the ceiling to watch all content while lying down, right? But what about the audio? Is my experience going to have merit?

We count on hobbyists such as yourself to explain why 7' from a 120" is wrong, even if we can find someone who prefers it. Films were not framed to be viewed at that distance- the work of art cannot be appreciated as intended by humans with typical eyesight. Frankly, isn't ok for someone to do something wrong only to discover how to do it right here on the forum?

HT: Panasonic BDT 460 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Marantz AV7005 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut B6 | Focal CMS Sub
Stereo: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #14518 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We count on hobbyists such as yourself to explain why 7' from a 120" is wrong, even if we can find someone who prefers it. Films were not framed to be viewed at that distance- the work of art cannot be appreciated as intended by humans with typical eyesight. Frankly, isn't ok for someone to do something wrong only to discover how to do it right here on the forum?

Thats total nonsense sorry.

Who says 7 feet away from a 120inch screen is wrong? Even if Zombie tells me its wrong what right does he have to make that assumption as he even acknowledges himself. View distance is subjective, you wouldn't dare go and tell the people sitting in the front row of a cinema that they are sitting too close. There is no correct view distance, and frankly, films were framed to be viewed at the cinema scale as big as possible. My view distance is multitudes more correct than say a person viewing a flat screen tv from the couch. If anything, they are doing it wrong, hell you all could be

My view distance means the image fills most of my field of view, not all of it, I don't have to move my head at all to take in the image unlike every IMAX cinema I have been in (We have the largest IMAX Screen in the world here in Sydney and its genuinely too big even in the back row). My screen/view ratio is perfection and engrossing.
wmassie and d.j. like this.

post #14519 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:

I've always used E-shift on my previous JVC projectors and have gone back and forth with it on my RS600.
Right now I'm back to using E-shift for it's very smooth, dense image quality.

The JVC projectors really spoil me for image smoothness. I've been viewing various 4K (and HDR) demos on various flat screens in the stores and I always notice when I place myself close enough to get a bit of immersion, that I become aware of the pixel structure even on the 4K TVs. It makes me really appreciate the smoothness of the JVC image.
Javs likes this.
post #14520 of 14677 Old 06-08-2016, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thats total nonsense sorry.

Who says 7 feet away from a 120inch screen is wrong? Even if Zombie tells me its wrong what right does he have to make that assumption as he even acknowledges himself. View distance is subjective, you wouldn't dare go and tell the people sitting in the front row of a cinema that they are sitting too close. There is no correct view distance, and frankly, films were framed to be viewed at the cinema scale as big as possible.
You don't have to appreciate my opinion that people sitting in the front row are indeed sitting too close, but I stand by that view. I also would tell you to move back to about 9' minimum. If your L/C/R speakers are not in wall, then your sound will improve too once re-adjusted.

Finally, I'd ask the forum's most informed hobbyists to express their views more vigorously. They likely will ignore that plea, but that's ok. It's simply my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page