Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 492 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2735Likes

post #14731 of 14735 Old Today, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 203
According to the people who have looked into this matter, because they wanted to compare the dynamic range of digital cameras such as the Reds and the Arris with traditional movie film cameras, 35 mm film has approx 14-15 stops of dynamic range and 70mm film has closer to 17 stops, IIRC.
What that means is that blu-ray SDR is way below what Casablanca, for example, was shot in and capable of showing or displaying.
HDR 10 and even more so 12 bit Dolby Vision with dynamic metadata, is much closer to the actual dynamic range of 35mm and 70mm film stock.
Having said that, of course there are all sorts of other variables such as the brightness of the projector/tv and it's contrast ratio, viewing conditions etc which also need to be taken into account.

Last edited by catonic; Today at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14732 of 14735 Old Today, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 212
How does that equate to the actual contrast of the film stock we see in theatres, which is typically not a great deal more than 2000:1?

I also seem to remember seeing it said here that the cameras can only capture around that number too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #14733 of 14735 Old Today, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
How does that equate to the actual contrast of the film stock we see in theatres, which is typically not a great deal more than 2000:1?

I also seem to remember seeing it said here that the cameras can only capture around that number too.
I have no idea, to be honest.
I do know that the quality of a film print varies greatly with age and how well the projectionists maintained the projector in each theatre so there are a large number of variables involved, even if the theatre did or does try and keep to THX or industry standard recommendations.
post #14734 of 14735 Old Today, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Yeah, print quality suffers a lot from the original negative - bulk release prints tend to lose some resolution in the process, and a few runs through the projector can add wear and tear, leaving us with a lot less effective resolution than with digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #14735 of 14735 Old Today, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I believe celluloid is in the region of 15-20k:1 captured contrast ratio with 14-15 stops of dynamic range as mentioned above.

A camera like the Arri Alexa can capture even more contrast.

I used to have a link which broke down various cameras but can't find it right now.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread