Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2813Likes
post #14971 of 14990 Old 08-19-2016, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I would be curious of sales of the RS400 vs the Sony HW65 as that choice is such a no-brainer for most applications. However, the brand name of 'Sony' is still incredibly alluring to a lot of people.
the only thing left is the lag time for gamers and they would be better off spending much less on the HW45. The 5040 adding a better lens + full lens control is definitely a blow to the dated HW chassis.

is there any cedia rumors about Sony adding anything new or is the 665 and 45/65 carrying over another year
mbw23air likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14972 of 14990 Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
the only thing left is the lag time for gamers and they would be better off spending much less on the HW45. The 5040 adding a better lens + full lens control is definitely a blow to the dated HW chassis.

is there any cedia rumors about Sony adding anything new or is the 665 and 45/65 carrying over another year
According to rumor, only the 665 will have a replacement this year. Should be announce at IFA in 2 week.
post #14973 of 14990 Old 08-19-2016, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post
According to rumor, only the 665 will have a replacement this year. Should be announce at IFA in 2 week.
great, thanks for the info Rick. I'm guessing a full upgrade to the 18GB chipset, etc.
post #14974 of 14990 Old 08-19-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4602 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
great, thanks for the info Rick. I'm guessing a full upgrade to the 18GB chipset, etc.
It needs that, DCI P3 color space and a little more light output. I added the light output, because it it be on a two year cycle and I assume that some of the other manufacturers will be improving their units next year.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #14975 of 14990 Old 08-20-2016, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Kaleidescape: Company Closes Doors

wow this is big news

R.I.P. Kaleidescape: Company Closes Doors, Lays Off Workers

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleide...ena_srinivasan

That is a shame, especially for folks that just bought the Strato. Likely too much red tape and overhead to keep it 'legal'.

anyone remember Circuit City's 'DIVX'? that's the concern with someone else holding the lock and key.

Thankfully there are a number of much less expensive ways to archive the movie you spent $30-$40 on. HTPC, Mede8ter, Dune Solo, etc. I'm getting ready to start building my next drive array, starting to run out of space with about 30TB.

any comments or thoughts on this, post them here.
post #14976 of 14990 Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
wow this is big news

That is a shame, especially for folks that just bought the Strato. Likely too much red tape and overhead to keep it 'legal'.

Yup- i'm devastated Zombie. My Strato with my RS600 puts out the best picture i've ever seen. Looks like I now need to look into UHD players. Any recommendations from the folks in this thread? I might just wait for the Oppo at this point, just out of fear of getting burned on another product.
post #14977 of 14990 Old 08-20-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Yup- i'm devastated Zombie. My Strato with my RS600 puts out the best picture i've ever seen. Looks like I now need to look into UHD players. Any recommendations from the folks in this thread? I might just wait for the Oppo at this point, just out of fear of getting burned on another product.
sorry to hear, the concept was a good idea but always concerned with the legal red tape involved.

I have the Samsung UHD and also getting the Panasonic UHD next week. stay tuned for more info.
Naylorman32 likes this.
post #14978 of 14990 Old 08-21-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
wow this is big news

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleide...ena_srinivasan

anyone remember Circuit City's 'DIVX'? that's the concern with someone else holding the lock and key.

Thankfully there are a number of much less expensive ways to archive the movie you spent $30-$40 on. HTPC, Mede8ter, Dune Solo, etc. I'm getting ready to start building my next drive array, starting to run out of space with about 30TB.

Once again the myopic content industry is squashing innovation. Anything they don't come up with isn't a valid way to use their content.

Just think where we'd be if the music industry had succeeded with their attempt to do the same thing, no iPod, no mp3s, etc, etc.
krichter1 likes this.
post #14979 of 14990 Old 08-22-2016, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Zombie, how are you finding the Dune 4K unit now you have had it up and running for a while?

How does it compare to your HTPC with the new GPU/MadVR for PQ? I would assume it (the HTPC) is superior, but it is worth the extra effort of tinkering required on a HTPC? (I'm assuming the Dune is largely plug and play?)
post #14980 of 14990 Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

this is a funny pictorial to show what drives the HTPC / Network Media player community.

It can be maddening to wait through all the menus and previews. 1 click, play the movie + full random access to entire library.

Bluescale, Ted99, kenreau and 5 others like this.
post #14981 of 14990 Old 08-22-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4602 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
There is talk that another company could pick up the pieces.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #14982 of 14990 Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Zombie, how are you finding the Dune 4K unit now you have had it up and running for a while?

How does it compare to your HTPC with the new GPU/MadVR for PQ? I would assume it (the HTPC) is superior, but it is worth the extra effort of tinkering required on a HTPC? (I'm assuming the Dune is largely plug and play?)
I've gone back and forth for years between the HTPC and the media devices, mainly my Mede8ter which I still like despite it's limitations with BD ISO.

The lure of the Dune Solo was the full BD ISO support which it's been doing a very good job with. I can choose to bury through the menus for 'extras' or any other content or simply click 1 button to play the movie with none of the BS shown in that image above.

for overall PQ, there are definitely some advantages with the HTPC setup but this is looking at it under a microscope in direct A/B comparisons. While the HTPC's can be setup for set it and forget it, there is still the OS to deal with, patches, updates, etc. I like the standalone features of the network media players and especially the portability of the Dune.

The best part is how cheap these are in comparison to something like the K-scape with none of the concern about what's happening right now - big investments in hardware and software purchases about to disappear into the ether...

I buy my movies. I use the PC to make a 1:1 archive and then safely store the disc on a shelf. There is no dependency on some external service. I've been doing this since 2008 with the PCH-A110 and enjoying the progress of these devices over the years.

HTPC / Network media devices are a great DIY subculture of the AV community.
post #14983 of 14990 Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
I've gone back and forth for years between the HTPC and the media devices, mainly my Mede8ter which I still like despite it's limitations with BD ISO.

The lure of the Dune Solo was the full BD ISO support which it's been doing a very good job with. I can choose to bury through the menus for 'extras' or any other content or simply click 1 button to play the movie with none of the BS shown in that image above.

for overall PQ, there are definitely some advantages with the HTPC setup but this is looking at it under a microscope in direct A/B comparisons. While the HTPC's can be setup for set it and forget it, there is still the OS to deal with, patches, updates, etc. I like the standalone features of the network media players and especially the portability of the Dune.

The best part is how cheap these are in comparison to something like the K-scape with none of the concern about what's happening right now - big investments in hardware and software purchases about to disappear into the ether...

I buy my movies. I use the PC to make a 1:1 archive and then safely store the disc on a shelf. There is no dependency on some external service. I've been doing this since 2008 with the PCH-A110 and enjoying the progress of these devices over the years.

HTPC / Network media devices are a great DIY subculture of the AV community.
Thanks for that detail. Yeah I've been into media players of one sort or another for about 12 years. I dread to think how many hours I lost with my first HTPC tweaking ffdshow only for it to crash half way through a movie.

I then switched to a TViX 6500, which worked okay, before getting a Netgear NeoTV 550 for its full ISO playback with menus etc. I still have two of the Netgears as they work pretty well, but still require the occasional reboot due to lock ups, and refuse to play certain ISO's.

I moved to a Kaleidescape system two years ago, for the pure simplicity of the system. Not the best decision with the benefit of recent hindsight! From a media perspective, even with the Kal system, I've only ever purchased physical discs and either used the UV code or purchased the D2D, whilst continuing to backup the ISO's for playback on the Netgears in other rooms, so I already have about 400 blu rays on the NAS ready to go.

What I'm most gutted about on the demise of Kaleidescape (financial loss on the hardware aside) is that the Strato is the best damn image I've ever seen on my system, bar none.

Onwards and upwards though, the Dune player seems ideal. I had no idea it had the option to just play the core movie directly from an ISO. I was looking at converting them all to MKV's for this very functionality, but I won't bother if direct playback comes as a default option on the Dune. What is the load time for that on a movie, or is it instant?

Have you had any problem ISO's that won't play, or has playback been flawless?
post #14984 of 14990 Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
for overall PQ, there are definitely some advantages with the HTPC setup but this is looking at it under a microscope in direct A/B comparisons.
JFMI: Does this apply to 1080p playback on 1080p displays, only? Or does it also apply when doing sharpening and/or upscaling to 4K?

I'm asking because many users seem to love their Darbee, so it seems that at least sharpening can make a noticeable difference. And an HTPC (with a decent GPU) has high quality sharpening + upscaling built in. So I think while the quality difference between an HTPC and a CE media player might be small when doing simple unscaled and unsharpened playback, the situation should change when using sharpening and/or upscaling.
post #14985 of 14990 Old 08-23-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3598 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
JFMI: Does this apply to 1080p playback on 1080p displays, only? Or does it also apply when doing sharpening and/or upscaling to 4K?

I'm asking because many users seem to love their Darbee, so it seems that at least sharpening can make a noticeable difference. And an HTPC (with a decent GPU) has high quality sharpening + upscaling built in. So I think while the quality difference between an HTPC and a CE media player might be small when doing simple unscaled and unsharpened playback, the situation should change when using sharpening and/or upscaling.
I think a lot of it comes down to the ability to have the Darbee give you an on/off feature so you can the difference it makes instantaneously. You can pause on a frame and with the remote hit a button to show you what it looks like with the sharpening applied and then hit it again to turn it off. You can see a real time comparison of the sharpening. It would be cool if there was some kind of keyboard shortcut you could use with MadVR to compare two different memories of settings. For instance, you pause your movie and have one memory using JINC scaling + Sharpening and another be NNEDI3 + Sharpening or Super Resolution or whatever and be able to toggle from one or the other. It might be easier for people to see a difference between settings.
post #14986 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Panasonic UB900 landed in the US

The Panasonic UB900 had landed in the US, Robert @ VE has a number of them if anyone is looking for this UHD player.

post #14987 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Panasonic UB900 had landed in the US, Robert @ VE has a number of them if anyone is looking for this UHD player.

Do you also have the Samsung player? If so could you let me know what you think between the two.
post #14988 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sure I'll need a few days going into the weekend to set them both up and run some comparisons. One of the main areas of interest is the SDR / WCG + HDfury combo, I've heard from several folks that the mapping is better on the Panasonic vs. the Samsung
Tom Bley likes this.
post #14989 of 14990 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
sure I'll need a few days going into the weekend to set them both up and run some comparisons. One of the main areas of interest is the SDR / WCG + HDfury combo, I've heard from several folks that the mapping is better on the Panasonic vs. the Samsung
I remember reading a post from Ekki of cine4home saying he thought that the Samsung did a better job at tone mapping the HDR to SDR. He mentioned that the Samsung had noticeably better shadow detail. Though maybe this has changed with a new firmware on the Panny? I honestly haven't been keeping up on these UHD BD players. It could have been a situation where the Panny looked more contrasty and that's why they thought it looked better? I'm sure you'll let use know.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 02:14 PM.
post #14990 of 14990 Unread Today, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Onwards and upwards though, the Dune player seems ideal. I had no idea it had the option to just play the core movie directly from an ISO. I was looking at converting them all to MKV's for this very functionality, but I won't bother if direct playback comes as a default option on the Dune. What is the load time for that on a movie, or is it instant?

Have you had any problem ISO's that won't play, or has playback been flawless?
When loading a BD ISO on the DUNE, we have a choice of full BD menu or BD lite. From the BD light menu, there is an option to immediately start playing the movie file. It's very quick and would consider it 'instant'. I used to pull to MKV all the time for the Mede8ter but now that Dune support BD ISO it's nice to have both options.

There is 1 intermittent bug that is currently getting fixed, some audio skipping on 3D framed packed BD ISO with ATMOS tracks. There is a workaround but they are going to fix it.

So far I like it and will continue to use it for the convenience and portability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

yes my comment earlier was for 1080p playback on 1080p displays. I admit I still like the Darbee on low 20-25%. I think it's a little unique in how it processes the image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread