Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 508 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2974Likes
post #15211 of 15226 Unread 09-22-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 518
RR7 if the 6020 was equivalent to the euro 9200/9300 I ran for a while some years ago…the x35 jvc I replaced it with was a slight step back. however can tell you the x7000 jvc is quite a stride forward with regards 3D. it was an unexpected benefit !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 15226 Unread 09-23-2016, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner7 View Post
Thank you for yor quick respond Zombie10K.

I know the 3D on the DLP is much better but I don't like its black level too much. I own a DLP (non 3D model), but I did watch some 3D DLP demos before.

Could you just let me know if the flickering on the JVC is better on the Epson in your opinion?. If it's just better, even it's worse then DLP, I still consider to buy it.

Or do you think the Sony VW365ES might be better in 3D?.

Thank you.
Hi, if you and the family are sensitive to the glasses refresh rate on the Epson, you are going to experience the same effect on any of the Sony projectors, including the expensive 4K models. current Epsons and JVC as well.

DLP's primary benefit is the rock solid image it produces. Caveat is not the greatest native contrast but the Sharp 30K I posted is quite good for a DLP. it also uses excellent 3D glasses.

The DLP panels are much faster than SXRD, LCD and LCOS. In this demonstration below, the effect is exaggerated by the camera, but you can clearly see how 'solid' the 3D DLP image of the Benq W7000 DLP is vs. the Sony HW50. This pretty much applies to all DLP's vs. non DLP.

HW50

BenQ W7000

Last edited by zombie10k; 09-23-2016 at 01:06 PM.
post #15213 of 15226 Unread 09-23-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Zombie or anyone ..... for the newer RF 3D emitters on the RS500 or 600 I believe this is the right pair of glasses I bought this past January. But they were only $34.95 a pair then. Now holy crap they are $89. I need 2 more pairs for next week. Is this pair still the hot setup for working well and synching pretty automatically? Or is there something different now for less money that still works very well with RF and over RX glasses?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1#Ask
post #15214 of 15226 Unread 09-23-2016, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ron, hi do you already have the RF transmitter? If so, you can pick up the glasses by themselves for only $35

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF...dp/B00BFO4XSA/
RonF likes this.
post #15215 of 15226 Unread 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Yes I do. Thanks so much that's a lot better. Whew!!
post #15216 of 15226 Unread 09-23-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you so much Alebonau and Zombie10K for taking so much time to answer my question.

I saw the 2D picture of the JVC before and I really liked it so much. I hope their 3D would not bother me too much. It looks like I have to find a demo around Orange County or in San Diego area before I make any decision. If it's not that bad, I will go for the JVC. If it bothers me, I just buy a DLP unit for right now and hopefully, something else coming out in the near future will be good at both 2D and 3D.

Thanks.
alebonau likes this.
post #15217 of 15226 Unread 09-23-2016, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner7 View Post
Thank you so much Alebonau and Zombie10K for taking so much time to answer my question.

I saw the 2D picture of the JVC before and I really liked it so much. I hope their 3D would not bother me too much. It looks like I have to find a demo around Orange County or in San Diego area before I make any decision. If it's not that bad, I will go for the JVC. If it bothers me, I just buy a DLP unit for right now and hopefully, something else coming out in the near future will be good at both 2D and 3D.

Thanks.
no problem. I am sensitive to flicker / refresh rate and often go back and forth between the JVC and Sharp 3D DLP. Each has it's own trade offs. The DLP image is rock solid but the low APL scenes are disappointing compared to the JVC which has best in class native contrast. JVC has the same mild flicker you see with the Epson but it doesn't bother me since the contrast is so remarkable in 3D mode.

hopefully you get to demo it because the JVC will be a great 2D upgrade over the Epson LCD.
post #15218 of 15226 Unread Yesterday, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked: 2941
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
some folks were asking about cedia deals for the JVC's. I would recommend contacting Craig and Mike to find out more info. you have ~ 3 weeks for some great pricing on the RS400/500/600.
Have until October 15th or we run out of projectors, whichever comes first.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
post #15219 of 15226 Unread Today, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Ron, hi do you already have the RF transmitter? If so, you can pick up the glasses by themselves for only $35

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF...dp/B00BFO4XSA/
Are you sure that this model is meant for the polarity of the JVC projectors if there is screen polarization latency? I had an email exchange earlier this month with David Chechelashvili, the Executive Vice President of Business Development at Xpand (Expandvision.com), and he indicated that the proper model was the X105-RF-X3 at $100.

Last edited by docrog; Today at 10:27 AM.
post #15220 of 15226 Unread Today, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Are you sure that this model is meant for the polarity of the JVC projectors if there is screen polarization latency? I had an email exchange earlier this month with David Chechelashvili, the Executive Vice President of Business Development at Xpand (Expandvision.com), and he indicated that the proper model was the X105-RF-X3 at $100.
Hi, that is correct. The X105-RF-X3 are the JVC specific glasses that xpand makes. The $35 glasses I posted work fine with the JVC's and screens that do not maintain polarity like my Dalite 2.8HP.
post #15221 of 15226 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3763 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
Yes, the JVC person you talked to is correct, but only if we're talking about using the JVC projector with a screen that retains polarization. If not (and most screen materials do not) then the regular X105 glasses are perfectly fine.
post #15222 of 15226 Unread Today, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
no problem. I am sensitive to flicker / refresh rate and often go back and forth between the JVC and Sharp 3D DLP. Each has it's own trade offs. The DLP image is rock solid but the low APL scenes are disappointing compared to the JVC which has best in class native contrast. JVC has the same mild flicker you see with the Epson but it doesn't bother me since the contrast is so remarkable in 3D mode.

hopefully you get to demo it because the JVC will be a great 2D upgrade over the Epson LCD.
Flicker on my RS55 bothered me as much as the ghosting and made it uncomfortable to watch. My Epson 5010 is way better for flicker and is a much more stable image. I'm pretty sure you felt the same way when you compared Epsons with the older JVCs.

So are you saying the new JVCs are much improved for flicker/stability over past models? I read the refresh rate for 3d is still the same so this has me concerned.
post #15223 of 15226 Unread Today, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

when I get motivated, I can't be stopped. 20+ hours this weekend into installing my new ceiling speakers, Denon 7200WA and the Onyko 5010 2 channel amp for my rear ceiling speakers. Running the wire and cutting the MDF to hold the speakers took a good bit of time.

This is my config below except I have 2 subs.

Onkyo 5010 is a highly rated, afforable 2 channel amp for driving the rear TRR and TRL speakers.

I spent a few hours with a basic tune and jumped right in with some of the Dolby ATMOS demos. Wow, really impressive sense of 360 sound, I have the ceiling speakers in a very good location in proximity to the seats.

'The Encounter' audio demo is amazing played at reference level. Also very impressed with the Star Wars Battlefront ATMOS soundtrack, this is a 3 minute demo of live footage from the game. sounded and looked amazing.

Just in time for Pacific Rim UHD SDR BT2020 with the ATMOS sound track. I still have more work to do, but it's nice to finally have a full 18Gbps capable AVR so I don't have to keep splitting the signal on all my sources.
alebonau likes this.
post #15224 of 15226 Unread Today, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
Flicker on my RS55 bothered me as much as the ghosting and made it uncomfortable to watch. My Epson 5010 is way better for flicker and is a much more stable image. I'm pretty sure you felt the same way when you compared Epsons with the older JVCs.

So are you saying the new JVCs are much improved for flicker/stability over past models? I read the refresh rate for 3d is still the same so this has me concerned.
hi, for some reason I don't notice it as much on the RS600. The 3D is so much better overall vs the RS55, I couldn't watch it at all on that projector. Perhaps whatever improvements they did to make the x-talk improvements also helped with the perceived flicker. it's not of the DLP standard though, none of the non-DLP's are.

RS55

RS600

Toe likes this.
post #15225 of 15226 Unread Today, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, Zombie. Are you planning to get an Epson 5040 to evaluate? I trust your 3d opinions more than any pro reviewer.
Toe likes this.
post #15226 of 15226 Unread Today, 07:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
when I get motivated, I can't be stopped. 20+ hours this weekend into installing my new ceiling speakers, Denon 7200WA and the Onyko 5010 2 channel amp for my rear ceiling speakers. Running the wire and cutting the MDF to hold the speakers took a good bit of time.

This is my config below except I have 2 subs.

Onkyo 5010 is a highly rated, afforable 2 channel amp for driving the rear TRR and TRL speakers.

I spent a few hours with a basic tune and jumped right in with some of the Dolby ATMOS demos. Wow, really impressive sense of 360 sound, I have the ceiling speakers in a very good location in proximity to the seats.

'The Encounter' audio demo is amazing played at reference level. Also very impressed with the Star Wars Battlefront ATMOS soundtrack, this is a 3 minute demo of live footage from the game. sounded and looked amazing.

Just in time for Pacific Rim UHD SDR BT2020 with the ATMOS sound track. I still have more work to do, but it's nice to finally have a full 18Gbps capable AVR so I don't have to keep splitting the signal on all my sources.

Congrats on the Atmos upgrade Jason! I haven't taken the Atmos plunge yet, but I am very excited to do it at some point hopefully soon.

I haven't done much research on Atmos yet, but I assume I could just get an AVR and use 4 channels off that for the 4 ceiling speakers and then just use my 7 channel amp like I do now for my 7 main channels? I would prefer to keep my 7 channel Sherbourn amp for my 7 main speakers if possible and just use 4 channels off the new AVR so I don't have to buy an additional amp (which is one reason I am leaning toward just getting an AVR to replace my pre/pro instead of buying another pre/pro). I don't really need the 200wpc of the Sherbourn amp with my new PSA high efficiency speakers, but it makes me feel better to have it in the mix since I always listen at reference.

I'm also still amazed every time I see those 3d test patterns for the 400/500/600! JVC really made some huge improvements in this area! I still have yet to see 3d on the new models, but looking forward to it at some point.

Last edited by Toe; Today at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread