Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 508 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 3004Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #15211 of 15259 Unread 09-22-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 3,358
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 524
RR7 if the 6020 was equivalent to the euro 9200/9300 I ran for a while some years ago…the x35 jvc I replaced it with was a slight step back. however can tell you the x7000 jvc is quite a stride forward with regards 3D. it was an unexpected benefit !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15212 of 15259 Unread 09-23-2016, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner7 View Post
Thank you for yor quick respond Zombie10K.

I know the 3D on the DLP is much better but I don't like its black level too much. I own a DLP (non 3D model), but I did watch some 3D DLP demos before.

Could you just let me know if the flickering on the JVC is better on the Epson in your opinion?. If it's just better, even it's worse then DLP, I still consider to buy it.

Or do you think the Sony VW365ES might be better in 3D?.


Thank you.
Hi, if you and the family are sensitive to the glasses refresh rate on the Epson, you are going to experience the same effect on any of the Sony projectors, including the expensive 4K models. current Epsons and JVC as well.

DLP's primary benefit is the rock solid image it produces. Caveat is not the greatest native contrast but the Sharp 30K I posted is quite good for a DLP. it also uses excellent 3D glasses.


The DLP panels are much faster than SXRD, LCD and LCOS. In this demonstration below, the effect is exaggerated by the camera, but you can clearly see how 'solid' the 3D DLP image of the Benq W7000 DLP is vs. the Sony HW50. This pretty much applies to all DLP's vs. non DLP.


HW50


BenQ W7000


Last edited by zombie10k; 09-23-2016 at 01:06 PM.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15213 of 15259 Unread 09-23-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Zombie or anyone ..... for the newer RF 3D emitters on the RS500 or 600 I believe this is the right pair of glasses I bought this past January. But they were only $34.95 a pair then. Now holy crap they are $89. I need 2 more pairs for next week. Is this pair still the hot setup for working well and synching pretty automatically? Or is there something different now for less money that still works very well with RF and over RX glasses?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1#Ask
RonF is offline  
post #15214 of 15259 Unread 09-23-2016, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Ron, hi do you already have the RF transmitter? If so, you can pick up the glasses by themselves for only $35

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF...dp/B00BFO4XSA/
RonF likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15215 of 15259 Unread 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Yes I do. Thanks so much that's a lot better. Whew!!
RonF is offline  
post #15216 of 15259 Unread 09-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you so much Alebonau and Zombie10K for taking so much time to answer my question.

I saw the 2D picture of the JVC before and I really liked it so much. I hope their 3D would not bother me too much. It looks like I have to find a demo around Orange County or in San Diego area before I make any decision. If it's not that bad, I will go for the JVC. If it bothers me, I just buy a DLP unit for right now and hopefully, something else coming out in the near future will be good at both 2D and 3D.


Thanks.
alebonau likes this.
Roadrunner7 is online now  
post #15217 of 15259 Unread 09-23-2016, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner7 View Post
Thank you so much Alebonau and Zombie10K for taking so much time to answer my question.

I saw the 2D picture of the JVC before and I really liked it so much. I hope their 3D would not bother me too much. It looks like I have to find a demo around Orange County or in San Diego area before I make any decision. If it's not that bad, I will go for the JVC. If it bothers me, I just buy a DLP unit for right now and hopefully, something else coming out in the near future will be good at both 2D and 3D.


Thanks.
no problem. I am sensitive to flicker / refresh rate and often go back and forth between the JVC and Sharp 3D DLP. Each has it's own trade offs. The DLP image is rock solid but the low APL scenes are disappointing compared to the JVC which has best in class native contrast. JVC has the same mild flicker you see with the Epson but it doesn't bother me since the contrast is so remarkable in 3D mode.

hopefully you get to demo it because the JVC will be a great 2D upgrade over the Epson LCD.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15218 of 15259 Unread 09-24-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15,582
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4816 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
some folks were asking about cedia deals for the JVC's. I would recommend contacting Craig and Mike to find out more info. you have ~ 3 weeks for some great pricing on the RS400/500/600.
Have until October 15th or we run out of projectors, whichever comes first.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #15219 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Ron, hi do you already have the RF transmitter? If so, you can pick up the glasses by themselves for only $35

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF...dp/B00BFO4XSA/
Are you sure that this model is meant for the polarity of the JVC projectors if there is screen polarization latency? I had an email exchange earlier this month with David Chechelashvili, the Executive Vice President of Business Development at Xpand (Expandvision.com), and he indicated that the proper model was the X105-RF-X3 at $100.

Last edited by docrog; 09-25-2016 at 10:27 AM.
docrog is online now  
post #15220 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Are you sure that this model is meant for the polarity of the JVC projectors if there is screen polarization latency? I had an email exchange earlier this month with David Chechelashvili, the Executive Vice President of Business Development at Xpand (Expandvision.com), and he indicated that the proper model was the X105-RF-X3 at $100.
Hi, that is correct. The X105-RF-X3 are the JVC specific glasses that xpand makes. The $35 glasses I posted work fine with the JVC's and screens that do not maintain polarity like my Dalite 2.8HP.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15221 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 12:11 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,255
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 1770
Yes, the JVC person you talked to is correct, but only if we're talking about using the JVC projector with a screen that retains polarization. If not (and most screen materials do not) then the regular X105 glasses are perfectly fine.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #15222 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
5mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
no problem. I am sensitive to flicker / refresh rate and often go back and forth between the JVC and Sharp 3D DLP. Each has it's own trade offs. The DLP image is rock solid but the low APL scenes are disappointing compared to the JVC which has best in class native contrast. JVC has the same mild flicker you see with the Epson but it doesn't bother me since the contrast is so remarkable in 3D mode.

hopefully you get to demo it because the JVC will be a great 2D upgrade over the Epson LCD.
Flicker on my RS55 bothered me as much as the ghosting and made it uncomfortable to watch. My Epson 5010 is way better for flicker and is a much more stable image. I'm pretty sure you felt the same way when you compared Epsons with the older JVCs.

So are you saying the new JVCs are much improved for flicker/stability over past models? I read the refresh rate for 3d is still the same so this has me concerned.
5mark is online now  
post #15223 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
when I get motivated, I can't be stopped. 20+ hours this weekend into installing my new ceiling speakers, Denon 7200WA and the Onyko 5010 2 channel amp for my rear ceiling speakers. Running the wire and cutting the MDF to hold the speakers took a good bit of time.




This is my config below except I have 2 subs.



Onkyo 5010 is a highly rated, afforable 2 channel amp for driving the rear TRR and TRL speakers.



I spent a few hours with a basic tune and jumped right in with some of the Dolby ATMOS demos. Wow, really impressive sense of 360 sound, I have the ceiling speakers in a very good location in proximity to the seats.



'The Encounter' audio demo is amazing played at reference level. Also very impressed with the Star Wars Battlefront ATMOS soundtrack, this is a 3 minute demo of live footage from the game. sounded and looked amazing.

Just in time for Pacific Rim UHD SDR BT2020 with the ATMOS sound track. I still have more work to do, but it's nice to finally have a full 18Gbps capable AVR so I don't have to keep splitting the signal on all my sources.
alebonau and Elix like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15224 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
Flicker on my RS55 bothered me as much as the ghosting and made it uncomfortable to watch. My Epson 5010 is way better for flicker and is a much more stable image. I'm pretty sure you felt the same way when you compared Epsons with the older JVCs.

So are you saying the new JVCs are much improved for flicker/stability over past models? I read the refresh rate for 3d is still the same so this has me concerned.
hi, for some reason I don't notice it as much on the RS600. The 3D is so much better overall vs the RS55, I couldn't watch it at all on that projector. Perhaps whatever improvements they did to make the x-talk improvements also helped with the perceived flicker. it's not of the DLP standard though, none of the non-DLP's are.

RS55




RS600

Toe likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15225 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
5mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, Zombie. Are you planning to get an Epson 5040 to evaluate? I trust your 3d opinions more than any pro reviewer.
Toe likes this.
5mark is online now  
post #15226 of 15259 Unread 09-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,957
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
when I get motivated, I can't be stopped. 20+ hours this weekend into installing my new ceiling speakers, Denon 7200WA and the Onyko 5010 2 channel amp for my rear ceiling speakers. Running the wire and cutting the MDF to hold the speakers took a good bit of time.




This is my config below except I have 2 subs.



Onkyo 5010 is a highly rated, afforable 2 channel amp for driving the rear TRR and TRL speakers.



I spent a few hours with a basic tune and jumped right in with some of the Dolby ATMOS demos. Wow, really impressive sense of 360 sound, I have the ceiling speakers in a very good location in proximity to the seats.



'The Encounter' audio demo is amazing played at reference level. Also very impressed with the Star Wars Battlefront ATMOS soundtrack, this is a 3 minute demo of live footage from the game. sounded and looked amazing.

Just in time for Pacific Rim UHD SDR BT2020 with the ATMOS sound track. I still have more work to do, but it's nice to finally have a full 18Gbps capable AVR so I don't have to keep splitting the signal on all my sources.

Congrats on the Atmos upgrade Jason! I haven't taken the Atmos plunge yet, but I am very excited to do it at some point hopefully soon.


I haven't done much research on Atmos yet, but I assume I could just get an AVR and use 4 channels off that for the 4 ceiling speakers and then just use my 7 channel amp like I do now for my 7 main channels? I would prefer to keep my 7 channel Sherbourn amp for my 7 main speakers if possible and just use 4 channels off the new AVR so I don't have to buy an additional amp (which is one reason I am leaning toward just getting an AVR to replace my pre/pro instead of buying another pre/pro). I don't really need the 200wpc of the Sherbourn amp with my new PSA high efficiency speakers, but it makes me feel better to have it in the mix since I always listen at reference.

I'm also still amazed every time I see those 3d test patterns for the 400/500/600! JVC really made some huge improvements in this area! I still have yet to see 3d on the new models, but looking forward to it at some point.

Last edited by Toe; 09-25-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Toe is online now  
post #15227 of 15259 Unread 09-26-2016, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Congrats on the Atmos upgrade Jason! I haven't taken the Atmos plunge yet, but I am very excited to do it at some point hopefully soon.
After cleaning everything up last night I finally hooked up the Butt Kicker amp once again. it's been disconnected for far too long, this is one of my favorite HT experiences... !! This surprises the heck out of anyone sitting in those seats.
Toe likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15228 of 15259 Unread 09-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
After cleaning everything up last night I finally hooked up the Butt Kicker amp once again. it's been disconnected for far too long, this is one of my favorite HT experiences... !! This surprises the heck out of anyone sitting in those seats.
Lots of fun, but get some 18's firing into your backrest and let me know how you feel then Haha.
Mike Garrett likes this.
beastaudio is online now  
post #15229 of 15259 Unread 09-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,957
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
After cleaning everything up last night I finally hooked up the Butt Kicker amp once again. it's been disconnected for far too long, this is one of my favorite HT experiences... !! This surprises the heck out of anyone sitting in those seats.
I couldn't agree more and its always fun getting a new guest who has never experienced them! The BKs are still my biggest and best HT upgrade I have made.
zombie10k likes this.
Toe is online now  
post #15230 of 15259 Unread 09-26-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
After cleaning everything up last night I finally hooked up the Butt Kicker amp once again. it's been disconnected for far too long, this is one of my favorite HT experiences... !! This surprises the heck out of anyone sitting in those seats.
+1 on BKs. Huge addition to HT. One of the best upgrades ever was to sell our SVS Ultra (twin 13" drivers). We replaced it with multiple small subs (and multiple BKs in the seating). Now I don't worry about the windows and still enjoy the "feelies"
zombie10k likes this.
humbland is offline  
post #15231 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
a great comparison of the new entry model Epson 7300 vs the 9300 (5040/6040). from Ekki and ProjectionDreams (Anna and Flo)

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek..._vergleich.htm

2 key areas of the review to point out. The entry Epson has well below average contrast for this price point. ~ 1300:1 is business projector class territory and it clearly shows in their examples. The 7300 and 9300 (5040/6040) are the same brightness so not sure what LCD panels Epson is using that provides such poor native contrast.

unless on a very tight budget, I would save the extra $$ money and get the 9300(5040/6040).






the other great point is something we discuss in the HT blackout thread for years - light treatment in the room and it's effect on contrast.

Look for the video on the page of Anna moving the dark material over the walls and it's major effect on the contrast of the image. This is why folks who are debating the 5040 vs RS400 in a white room aren't really seeing the obvious contrast advantage of the JVC. Place these 2 projectors in my velvet pit and the difference will be obvious in low APL scenes.

No different than how the VW1100 stood out (not in a good way) vs the RS600 in low APL scenes after I installed all my velvet curtains, black carpet, ceiling, etc. This is one of the main caveats of a truly blacked out room. less than stellar native will stand out in comparison, there is only so much those DI's can do in this scenario.
R Harkness, krichter1, Toe and 2 others like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15232 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Member
 
flyinmunky99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had the Epson 5040 for a few days but just couldn't get happy with the image, didn't feel like a upgrade over my tw5500 (9500ub).

Going to demo a X7000 soon which I'm hoping will blow me away.
flyinmunky99 is online now  
post #15233 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I couldn't agree more and its always fun getting a new guest who has never experienced them! The BKs are still my biggest and best HT upgrade I have made.
What is up my Rocky Mtn brutha!!

Couldn't agree more (oh and happy for Jason too as I can tell he's as happy as a fat pig in sheeot!)… I recently added an SVS2000 for my LFE and had this stupid notion I might rid myself of my 4 BK's & amp (no frickin' way!). They are lower now and only provide that gentle twerking of the buttocks but it just completes the A/V experience for sure!! Watched one of my absolute fav's for sound Godzilla 2014 and I though it was lifting the ceiling tiles and I felt like I installed one of those 1970's tummy busters!

Toe and zombie10k like this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
krichter1 is online now  
post #15234 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
this was a perfect time to get into ATMOS, there is a ton of content coming out!

https://www.amazon.com/IMAX-Mountain...dp/B01DX0NCY4/

check out the comments regarding the ATMOS sound track on this one, just ordered it and this one below as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSW5VRA/

I love anything filmed in IMAX, it looks great on my mini-IMAX 142" 16:9.



krichter1 likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15235 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,957
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
What is up my Rocky Mtn brutha!!

Couldn't agree more (oh and happy for Jason too as I can tell he's as happy as a fat pig in sheeot!)… I recently added an SVS2000 for my LFE and had this stupid notion I might rid myself of my 4 BK's & amp (no frickin' way!). They are lower now and only provide that gentle twerking of the buttocks but it just completes the A/V experience for sure!! Watched one of my absolute fav's for sound Godzilla 2014 and I though it was lifting the ceiling tiles and I felt like I installed one of those 1970's tummy busters!

What is happening my friend! Congrats on the new sub! Nothing like a quality woofer to take things next level in the HT!

I'm lagging behind the rest of the band as I don't have Atmos yet and am stuck in the stone age with my RS45, but hope to join you guys soon. I did upgrade my 7 main speakers in the last year though which has been great.

When I do the Atmos/projector upgrade though, I'll be hitting you guys up for setup advice if that's cool.
Toe is online now  
post #15236 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,474
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

the other great point is something we discuss in the HT blackout thread for years - light treatment in the room and it's effect on contrast.

Look for the video on the page of Anna moving the dark material over the walls and it's major effect on the contrast of the image. This is why folks who are debating the 5040 vs RS400 in a white room aren't really seeing the obvious contrast advantage of the JVC. Place these 2 projectors in my velvet pit and the difference will be obvious in low APL scenes.

No different than how the VW1100 stood out (not in a good way) vs the RS600 in low APL scenes after I installed all my velvet curtains, black carpet, ceiling, etc. This is one of the main caveats of a truly blacked out room. less than stellar native will stand out in comparison, there is only so much those DI's can do in this scenario.
This is exactly what I am doing in my next place when I move (Hopefully within a month). Very excited.
zombie10k likes this.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
Javs is online now  
post #15237 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kaotikr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
What is happening my friend! Congrats on the new sub! Nothing like a quality woofer to take things next level in the HT!



I'm lagging behind the rest of the band as I don't have Atmos yet and am stuck in the stone age with my RS45, but hope to join you guys soon. I did upgrade my 7 main speakers in the last year though which has been great.



When I do the Atmos/projector upgrade though, I'll be hitting you guys up for setup advice if that's cool.


If you ever feel like taking a trip to Nebraska you can see the RS500 and ATMOS in use. I think I'm a couple hours away from you.
Toe likes this.
kaotikr1 is offline  
post #15238 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,957
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
If you ever feel like taking a trip to Nebraska you can see the RS500 and ATMOS in use. I think I'm a couple hours away from you.
I really appreciate the kind offer! I might get a wild hair and take you up on that at some point.
Toe is online now  
post #15239 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2472 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
If you ever feel like taking a trip to Nebraska you can see the RS500 and ATMOS in use. I think I'm a couple hours away from you.
wow your room looks great, nice work! how do you like the dual FV15HP's? these were next on my list of audio updates

zombie10k is online now  
post #15240 of 15259 Unread 09-27-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
What is happening my friend! Congrats on the new sub! Nothing like a quality woofer to take things next level in the HT!

I'm lagging behind the rest of the band as I don't have Atmos yet and am stuck in the stone age with my RS45, but hope to join you guys soon. I did upgrade my 7 main speakers in the last year though which has been great.

When I do the Atmos/projector upgrade though, I'll be hitting you guys up for setup advice if that's cool.
Always here for ya my friend!

My recommendation… get a used or refurb'd RS-500 to save on the dough and you to will be in heaven (you will not believe the tremendous difference in PQ & 3D from the 45/55 series… you'll need a thick pillow on the floor to protect your jaw!).
Toe and atabea like this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
krichter1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off