Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 509 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 3003Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #15241 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
kevin, I see why you like the neural X so much. I just watched the last 20 minutes of Big Hero 6 in 3D and the sound fills the entire room. That is some nice upmixing from the original DTS HD sound track.

is there an easy way to turn it off while viewing so I can hear the difference without it?
zombie10k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15242 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,474
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
kevin, I see why you like the neural X so much. I just watched the last 20 minutes of Big Hero 6 in 3D and the sound fills the entire room. That is some nice upmixing from the original DTS HD sound track.

is there an easy way to turn it off while viewing so I can hear the difference without it?
On my Marantz its just a quick button press to bring up the list of 'Movie' sound mixing modes. On mine its a green button. Takes only a few seconds to switch to the DTS-HD normal mode. I imagine the button on the Denon remote would not be too dissimilar.

I leave DTS:Neural X on full time now. Same with the Dolby equivalent. I have gotten used to it. Both are excellent, DTS is better.

Watch some Star Wars Episode VII and then get back to us

I really cant wait for the WCG version of that film with Atmos or DTS:X audio.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
Javs is online now  
post #15243 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
On my Marantz its just a quick button press to bring up the list of 'Movie' sound mixing modes. On mine its a green button. Takes only a few seconds to switch to the DTS-HD normal mode. I imagine the button on the Denon remote would not be too dissimilar.

I leave DTS:Neural X on full time now. Same with the Dolby equivalent. I have gotten used to it. Both are excellent, DTS is better.

Watch some Star Wars Episode VII and then get back to us

I really cant wait for the WCG version of that film with Atmos or DTS:X audio.
Thanks, I just found the setting. I have a ton of music concerts so I wanted a quick way to check it with and without the extra upmixing.

I'll watch a little bit of VII in 2D but waiting for mid november to see the 3D version in full. The 3D trailer is amazing and can't wait to see this in 3D
Javs likes this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #15244 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,474
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks, I just found the setting. I have a ton of music concerts so I wanted a quick way to check it with and without the extra upmixing.

I'll watch a little bit of VII in 2D but waiting for mid november to see the 3D version in full. The 3D trailer is amazing and can't wait to see this in 3D


And for music I hit the Music button on my Marantz and it pushes two channel Stereo. Which is great since for critical music listening I hate anything more than stereo.

Are you saying you never saw Star Wars Ep VII at all??

Its reference everything! Best sound, best effects, best 3D... oh man your mind will be blown. Even in 2D the blacks are just lush.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
Javs is online now  
post #15245 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 4,278
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks, I just found the setting. I have a ton of music concerts so I wanted a quick way to check it with and without the extra upmixing.

I'll watch a little bit of VII in 2D but waiting for mid november to see the 3D version in full. The 3D trailer is amazing and can't wait to see this in 3D
Yep Javs has it right and if you have wides installed try DSX with your concert BDs (very nice wide/deep soundstage!).

Agreed… can't wait to see SW7 in 3D! Don't forget to check out Warcraft in 3D/Atmos (the movie all but blows but the A/V part is top notch!).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater

Last edited by krichter1; Yesterday at 09:56 AM.
krichter1 is offline  
post #15246 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15,576
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2963
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Lots of fun, but get some 18's firing into your backrest and let me know how you feel then Haha.
Yep, nearfield 18"s make great buttkickers.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #15247 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
And for music I hit the Music button on my Marantz and it pushes two channel Stereo. Which is great since for critical music listening I hate anything more than stereo.

Are you saying you never saw Star Wars Ep VII at all??

Its reference everything! Best sound, best effects, best 3D... oh man your mind will be blown. Even in 2D the blacks are just lush.
I saw it 2 times in different IMAX theaters (real IMAX) and 1/2 of the 2D BD before I decided to wait for the 3D version.


Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Yep Javs has it right and if you have wides installed try DSX with your concert BDs (very nice wide/deep soundstage!).

Agreed… can't wait to see SW7 in 3D! Don't forget to check out Warcraft in 3D/Atmos (he move all but blows but the A/V part is top notch!).
I have Warcraft in 3D sitting right here, might have to check some of it out tonight. I knew I wasn't going to make it through the whole movie from the trailer.
zombie10k is offline  
post #15248 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,065
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
a great comparison of the new entry model Epson 7300 vs the 9300 (5040/6040). from Ekki and ProjectionDreams (Anna and Flo)

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek..._vergleich.htm

2 key areas of the review to point out. The entry Epson has well below average contrast for this price point. ~ 1300:1 is business projector class territory and it clearly shows in their examples. The 7300 and 9300 (5040/6040) are the same brightness so not sure what LCD panels Epson is using that provides such poor native contrast.

unless on a very tight budget, I would save the extra $$ money and get the 9300(5040/6040).






the other great point is something we discuss in the HT blackout thread for years - light treatment in the room and it's effect on contrast.

Look for the video on the page of Anna moving the dark material over the walls and it's major effect on the contrast of the image. This is why folks who are debating the 5040 vs RS400 in a white room aren't really seeing the obvious contrast advantage of the JVC. Place these 2 projectors in my velvet pit and the difference will be obvious in low APL scenes.

No different than how the VW1100 stood out (not in a good way) vs the RS600 in low APL scenes after I installed all my velvet curtains, black carpet, ceiling, etc. This is one of the main caveats of a truly blacked out room. less than stellar native will stand out in comparison, there is only so much those DI's can do in this scenario.
That was truly a terrific review and article!!! It should be very educational for a lot of people.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
zombie10k likes this.
R Harkness is online now  
post #15249 of 15256 Unread 09-27-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kaotikr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
wow your room looks great, nice work! how do you like the dual FV15HP's? these were next on my list of audio updates



I really like them. My new room is about twice as small as the room these were originally purchased for but I'm very happy with them.
zombie10k likes this.
kaotikr1 is online now  
post #15250 of 15256 Unread Yesterday, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Yep Javs has it right and if you have wides installed try DSX with your concert BDs (very nice wide/deep soundstage!).
Last night I wanted to check out San Andreas 3D (such a bad movie..) and BvS (last 20 minutes). Something didn't sound right.... then I realized I forgot to turn on my amp for the rear ceiling speakers. You are right, it makes a huge difference in the overall 360 sound, those rear speakers are critical for the overall effect.

It feels like an even bigger transition vs. years ago when we went from DD and DTS to TrueHD and DTS-HD. I think I got lucky with the ceiling speaker placement and room dynamics because it sounds out of this world good even with a basic cal. 7200WA was a major upgrade to the 4311. Good for a full year on projector and AVR until cedia 2017..
rak306, alebonau, HTPCat and 1 others like this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #15251 of 15256 Unread Yesterday, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
blackout's affect on contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
That was truly a terrific review and article!!! It should be very educational for a lot of people.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
you have been preaching this for years.

one of my favorite theaters on the forum is Mark_H's. Minimalist approach and has a great objective below. He is also getting the new RS4500, a great choice for that very dark room.

Only interested in two things when designing the cinema - optimal sound and optimal image - and for image that means one thing - a featureless black room - nothing to distract viewers from the screen (the little splash of red by the steps is a safety issue but during screenings they turn black.) When viewing a film you cannot tell where the ceiling joins the walls or the walls join the floor - the image simply floats in a black void - a window onto the image.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...?member=Mark_H

Not only does the velvet blackout help with perceived contrast but not seeing anything else in the room beside the movie has a huge impact on the immersive experience of the movie. Add in the new ATMOS speakers and my renewed relationship with the BK amp, I am thrilled with my current setup and looking forward to a long fall / winter full of movies.
zombie10k is offline  
post #15252 of 15256 Unread Yesterday, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,065
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
you have been preaching this for years.

one of my favorite theaters on the forum is Mark_H's. Minimalist approach and has a great objective below. He is also getting the new RS4500, a great choice for that very dark room.

Only interested in two things when designing the cinema - optimal sound and optimal image - and for image that means one thing - a featureless black room - nothing to distract viewers from the screen (the little splash of red by the steps is a safety issue but during screenings they turn black.) When viewing a film you cannot tell where the ceiling joins the walls or the walls join the floor - the image simply floats in a black void - a window onto the image.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...?member=Mark_H

Not only does the velvet blackout help with perceived contrast but not seeing anything else in the room beside the movie has a huge impact on the immersive experience of the movie. Add in the new ATMOS speakers and my renewed relationship with the BK amp, I am thrilled with my current setup and looking forward to a long fall / winter full of movies.
Another side benefit of a fully blackened room -including the speakers - is that for those many of us who don't have AT screen set ups, when everything disappears but the image it seems to help map the sound on to the image better, vs seeing where the sound is actually coming from.
DavidHir likes this.
R Harkness is online now  
post #15253 of 15256 Unread Yesterday, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
that's a good point. I have long strips of velvet covering both towers and center channel (tops and sides, not the front obviously) and cannot see the speakers during the movie.

now I'm going to turn into an ATMOS preacher. the substantial impact on my room can't be understated, I am beyond impressed how well this works. The 7200WA is a bargain for the feature set and overall performance.
Craig Peer and alebonau like this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #15254 of 15256 Unread Yesterday, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Drexler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Anyone else here who have checked out the 3d version of batman vs superman? I watched it the other night with a friend and was appaled. The black floor jumped from scene to scene being abysmal most of the time. I first thought something was way off with the calibration of my rs500 or the lumagen processor. Especially considering I watched inside out 3d a day before which had very poor bluish blacks and also washed out colors. I cant bring myself to tweak too much when I have company even though my face is twitching with frustration, but I managed to quickly lower the brightness setting 6 steps and upping the gamma from 2.3 to to 2.6 which helped a little bit, but still far from satisfactory. However, after my friend left I reset the brightness/gamma and popped in metallicas 3d concert and the blacks were again just to die for. So inky and everything looking just right! Prometheus 3d also awesome! BvS in contrast looked like it had a raised black floor (many notches up) plus poor/low gamma with low shadows and people as a consequence looking flat like paper cut outs. I thought it was supposed to have great AV?! How can they mess up big budget films with poor mastering like that??? Dont they check the end result?
Or did it look better on your systems?
Drexler is offline  
post #15255 of 15256 Unread Yesterday, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2470 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
I only watched the last 20 minutes last night in 3D (also have the UHD 2D version as well). This movie was shot on 35mm and 3D done in PP.

Can you provide some time stamps, I can take a look later tonight.
zombie10k is offline  
post #15256 of 15256 Unread Today, 07:27 AM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,347
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3099 Post(s)
Liked: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
that's a good point. I have long strips of velvet covering both towers and center channel (tops and sides, not the front obviously) and cannot see the speakers during the movie.

now I'm going to turn into an ATMOS preacher. the substantial impact on my room can't be understated, I am beyond impressed how well this works. The 7200WA is a bargain for the feature set and overall performance.
Glad you finally made that move. I was one of the first to actually get atmos fully implemented and began pushing it as soon as I experienced. Object-based audio is worth it. Even as subtle as it can be at times, it is still a worthy upgrade. In movies like John Wick, Conjuring2, etc, and the atmos and auro demo discs, you REALLY get a good taste of what it's all about however.
beastaudio is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off