Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 517 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3112Likes

post #15481 of 15510 Old 11-22-2016, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Yes, just OTA.

It seems to me that there isn't a good solution for live tv with 10

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15482 of 15510 Old 11-22-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Yes, just OTA.

SageTV
post #15483 of 15510 Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I can't remember if I tried Sage or not. I played with both 10 and Ubuntu. IIRC Kodi, Nextpvr, Myth, and one or two others. Nothing was like the tivo that died. The CM looks like it will be close to what I had with the tivo along with the ability to transfer recordings to the pc.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #15484 of 15510 Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Since I use the PC for other things such as gaming, I don't run Kodi. But if I had a dedicated machine just for playback I'd be using it. A lot of people use JRiver too. Though it costs money, but I've heard good things. Not too sure how the UI looks though. I'd imagine it looks good. I just have MPC-HC set to go full screen when I double click on a file.
Well, I'm about to try to start forcing myself to become more accustomed to only watching movies on the PC, because I'm tired of the yellow push and blown gamma, don't want a lumagen and don't want to try to calibrate it again with internal controls (too difficult).

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #15485 of 15510 Old 11-23-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Well, I'm about to try to start forcing myself to become more accustomed to only watching movies on the PC, because I'm tired of the yellow push and blown gamma, don't want a lumagen and don't want to try to calibrate it again with internal controls (too difficult).
I use Kodi DSPlayer which is basically Kodi with MadVR support and its damn right amazing. Been using Kodi for years, Plex before that...

Set up some great addons, it watches folders on my PC so I just chuck films or TV Shows where they need to go as I archive them and its already there waiting for me on the Kodi interface and added to my library. I even set up a script for watching 3D Bluray ISO backups which when selected from Kodi, opens PowerDVD and auto switches to 3D mode and 1080/24FP resolution etc... I cant really fault it other than I wouldn't mind Netflix to be available through that interface.

The iOS remote app its fantastic too, the wife has it on her device too so she can easily sit down and get rolling.
post #15486 of 15510 Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I use Kodi DSPlayer which is basically Kodi with MadVR support and its damn right amazing. Been using Kodi for years, Plex before that...

Set up some great addons, it watches folders on my PC so I just chuck films or TV Shows where they need to go as I archive them and its already there waiting for me on the Kodi interface and added to my library. I even set up a script for watching 3D Bluray ISO backups which when selected from Kodi, opens PowerDVD and auto switches to 3D mode and 1080/24FP resolution etc... I cant really fault it other than I wouldn't mind Netflix to be available through that interface.

The iOS remote app its fantastic too, the wife has it on her device too so she can easily sit down and get rolling.
Thanks for the info. I'll try that version of it, might PM you a couple dumb questions in a few days if you don't mind.

post #15487 of 15510 Old 11-23-2016, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked: 2519
it looks like they are building in DRM into the Kaby Lake processors

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rele...4k-movies-pcs/

If Sony will allow this on a PC, maybe we aren't too far behind UHD BD on the PC. Javs - has there been any hints of this from PowerDVD co?
post #15488 of 15510 Old 11-23-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

If Sony will allow this on a PC, maybe we aren't too far behind UHD BD on the PC. Javs - has there been any hints of this from PowerDVD co?
I haven't heard too much other than Cyberlink is indeed a registered affiliate of UHD BR so they are licensed and I guess that means they are working on something. I think we are probably also waiting on a few solid UHD BR disc drives for PC too... I know there is a handful that support it but its time to start seeing licenced drives become available.
zombie10k likes this.
post #15489 of 15510 Old 11-26-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So what? I will not use that pile of crap called PowerDVD. Does anyone really think they'll care to do HDR->SDR tone mapping correctly? Remember, no madVR for commercial/protected content. I'll stick with my Panasonic for UHD until there's a solution to ripping UHD BD where I can use a real player/renderer.
post #15490 of 15510 Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
So what? I will not use that pile of crap called PowerDVD. Does anyone really think they'll care to do HDR->SDR tone mapping correctly? Remember, no madVR for commercial/protected content. I'll stick with my Panasonic for UHD until there's a solution to ripping UHD BD where I can use a real player/renderer.
I was mainly interested in the DRM being built into the new CPU's. seems aggressive..

some guests were over the other night, we demo'd scenes from Lucy, Pacific Rim and Deadpool in UHD/SDR/BT2020. The UB900 + HDFury combo works great for now. Ideally somewhere down the road it would be as easy as what I use the Dune solo for with 2D/3D BD ISO.
post #15491 of 15510 Old 11-26-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I was mainly interested in the DRM being built into the new CPU's. seems aggressive..
My assumption is that it's built into the GPU that happens to be in the new CPUs. I guess we'll find out if nVidia or AMD release GPUs that have the requisite DRM.

Quote:
some guests were over the other night, we demo'd scenes from Lucy, Pacific Rim and Deadpool in UHD/SDR/BT2020. The UB900 + HDFury combo works great for now. Ideally somewhere down the road it would be as easy as what I use the Dune solo for with 2D/3D BD ISO.
That's what I'm waiting for.
post #15492 of 15510 Old 11-26-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
it's something in between. Folks have to feel comfortable installing the software on a PC, connecting the PC to the projector (either direct connect via ethernet + static IP or through network and DHCP) and then follow a series of instructions that can be relatively straight forward all the way to complex (different calibrations for R709/BT2020, etc)

The auto-cal thread can be a little overwhelming to read through. If I have time over the winter break, I'll try to create a beginners guide with screenshots for the autocal.
A beginners guide would be awesome for us auto-cal noobs
RonF and Uncle Q like this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #15493 of 15510 Old 11-26-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Yes, just OTA.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

I have been using JRiver media center for many years now on my HTPCs, it has many great features including MadVR built-in, plays ripped folders or ISO files of DVD, BDs & 3D movies, live TV with sage or other plugins and awesome music playback of my music collection which includes 1.5TBs of lossless high resolution flac files. I have an 80TB media server that is about half full with movies, I would love to fill up the rest with UHD 4K movies once optical drives and software become available. @Javs I just built a new HTPC with 1080 GTX video card and was wondering if you could provide the settings you are using with MadVR?

HTPCat
post #15494 of 15510 Old 11-28-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
I've had HTPC's in customer's homes for around 8 years now. For them, its just another source that they control with their Harmony remote or tablet. As a computer only user for audio/video since 1990, I've never really understood some of the "cons" of HTPC's. I have 5 kids and my home HTPC is used daily for gaming, movies, TV, internet, e-mail, accounting, etc. It is a multi-function computer that works flawlessly for audio and video. I recently had a Yamaha CX-A5100 in my system for some testing I was doing. The family hated how "complicated" it was and how easy it was to have the wrong input selected or wrong mixing/upmixing of audio selected. There are way too many user controllable features from the remote or front controls that are hidden and automatic in the HTPC. It was interesting to see a different perspective on processor vs HTPC when the users have only ever had an HTPC.

There was some discussion a while back about e-Shift and sharpness of the desktop on an HTPC. I have a 4K monitor in addition to my RS500. One issue is that Windows (even Windows 10) does not scale the desktop properly to 4K (when maintaining the same visual size of text, icons, etc. as 1080p) and will lead to blurriness. However, if one uses Word 2016 and show the same text output at 1080p and then uses Word to scale 200% and show the text at 2160p, it will always be sharper using e-Shift and 2160p. This makes the text the same apparent size on the screen. It is pretty easy to see the improvement by using 2160p and e-Shift. At the JVC training I attended last month, JVC's Jeff Marks also emphasized the improvement in sharpness with e-Shift when using 4K source material.

With 1080p Blu-ray content, I've always preferred to send 1080p to my RS500 and use e-Shift. With madshi's new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm, my preference has finally changed based on my initial observations. I spent several hours yesterday going through a bunch of my 1080p content and prefer madVR upscaling it to 2160p and output 2160p to my RS500. I agree with others and madshi that NGU really is a great improvement.
Willie, Ericglo, HTPCat and 1 others like this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
post #15495 of 15510 Old 11-28-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
With 1080p Blu-ray content, I've always preferred to send 1080p to my RS500 and use e-Shift. With madshi's new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm, my preference has finally changed based on my initial observations. I spent several hours yesterday going through a bunch of my 1080p content and prefer madVR upscaling it to 2160p and output 2160p to my RS500. I agree with others and madshi that NGU really is a great improvement.
I like to hear that!
Elix likes this.
post #15496 of 15510 Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So are you saying that you get the best image by turning e-shift OFF and using NGU instead as a complete replacement of e-shift?

post #15497 of 15510 Old 11-28-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So are you saying that you get the best image by turning e-shift OFF and using NGU instead as a complete replacement of e-shift?
e-Shift is always on when sending the JVC projectors 4K.

When e-Shift is on, the processing the projector does to the image is different depending on whether it is getting 1080p or 4K. I'm eliminating/changing some of the projector processing by using NGU to upscale 1080p source material and send to the as 4K to the projector.

High Impact AV
post #15498 of 15510 Old 11-28-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
e-Shift is always on when sending the JVC projectors 4K.

When e-Shift is on, the processing the projector does to the image is different depending on whether it is getting 1080p or 4K. I'm eliminating/changing some of the projector processing by using NGU to upscale 1080p source material and send to the as 4K to the projector.
That's right, I forgot it was always on in 4k. I still own an older JVC RS-45, upgrading soon enough.

post #15499 of 15510 Old 11-29-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've had HTPC's in customer's homes for around 8 years now. For them, its just another source that they control with their Harmony remote or tablet. As a computer only user for audio/video since 1990, I've never really understood some of the "cons" of HTPC's. I have 5 kids and my home HTPC is used daily for gaming, movies, TV, internet, e-mail, accounting, etc. It is a multi-function computer that works flawlessly for audio and video. I recently had a Yamaha CX-A5100 in my system for some testing I was doing. The family hated how "complicated" it was and how easy it was to have the wrong input selected or wrong mixing/upmixing of audio selected. There are way too many user controllable features from the remote or front controls that are hidden and automatic in the HTPC. It was interesting to see a different perspective on processor vs HTPC when the users have only ever had an HTPC.

There was some discussion a while back about e-Shift and sharpness of the desktop on an HTPC. I have a 4K monitor in addition to my RS500. One issue is that Windows (even Windows 10) does not scale the desktop properly to 4K (when maintaining the same visual size of text, icons, etc. as 1080p) and will lead to blurriness. However, if one uses Word 2016 and show the same text output at 1080p and then uses Word to scale 200% and show the text at 2160p, it will always be sharper using e-Shift and 2160p. This makes the text the same apparent size on the screen. It is pretty easy to see the improvement by using 2160p and e-Shift. At the JVC training I attended last month, JVC's Jeff Marks also emphasized the improvement in sharpness with e-Shift when using 4K source material.

I am in total agreement here regarding HTPC's, I have several in the house and they all are multi task PC's used for various duties and all work better than my Direct TV box that glitches all the time. With regards to MadVR's NGU are you using this in JRiver? I ask because I don't see it available when I go to the MadVR settings in jriver.

HTPCat
post #15500 of 15510 Old 11-29-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I am in total agreement here regarding HTPC's, I have several in the house and they all are multi task PC's used for various duties and all work better than my Direct TV box that glitches all the time. With regards to MadVR's NGU are you using this in JRiver? I ask because I don't see it available when I go to the MadVR settings in jriver.
JRiver doesn't update to the latest version of madVR until it is stable for a while - especially when it has new features. Nevcairiel, the author of LAV Filters, is a main JRiver developer and he doesn't even update JRiver's LAV Filters for a while. I download the latest madVR and overwrite JRiver's installation of madVR in the plugins folder. PM if you need more details.

High Impact AV
post #15501 of 15510 Old 12-02-2016, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Epson LS10500 first preview

Cine4home has one of the first Epson LS10500's, live preview with details below

http://cine4home.de/breaking-news-de...altime-review/

this is going to keep me busy for a while, see you audio folks on the other side

jkasanic likes this.
post #15502 of 15510 Old 12-03-2016, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
That's right, I forgot it was always on in 4k. I still own an older JVC RS-45, upgrading soon enough.
I didn't know that e-shift was always turned on when m X9000 is feed a 4K signal.
Is there no way to turn it off?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #15503 of 15510 Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'

Do you mean that you don't use Windows when you use madvr just on a PC monitor, that's where you use Word 2016?
I use madvr/Jriver with Windows 10 with my Lumagen Pro and JVC X9000, still really 1080p only.

Its time to start playing with the 4K side since I have all the gear to do it, I still use Windows 10 in this case, it doesn't lead to blurriness with the JVC does it?

I'm still using Needi3 at present as I haven't tried the new update to go NGU, but they all seem to rave about it...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #15504 of 15510 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I didn't know that e-shift was always turned on when m X9000 is feed a 4K signal.
Is there no way to turn it off?
You can feed it a 1080p signal.
post #15505 of 15510 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can feed it a 1080p signal.
I always run with eshift off as I prefer the sharper image, shame it cant be turned off with 4K.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #15506 of 15510 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If you turn eshift off the image will only be 1080p not 4k. A 4k source with eshift will be sharper than 1080p (which is what you get without eshift) on the jvc so you wouldn't want to turn it off. Upscaling 1080p with eshift is another thing entirely than eshift with a 4k source.
post #15507 of 15510 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just to be clear, eshift quadruples the pixels so without it there is only 1080x1920 to play with and it will be physically impossible to show any higher resolution than 1080p.
post #15508 of 15510 Old Today, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
A step in the right direction:

CyberLink PowerDVD Certified for Ultra HD Blu-ray Playback
http://www.avsforum.com/cyberlink-po...ayback-by-bda/
post #15509 of 15510 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
A step in the right direction:

CyberLink PowerDVD Certified for Ultra HD Blu-ray Playback
http://www.avsforum.com/cyberlink-po...ayback-by-bda/
Only if that means our friends at Redfox are close behind. I have negative interest in anything from Cyberlink, it obviously won't be able to use MadVR, and if I were the betting type, I'd bet it will be worse than the Samsung player.
post #15510 of 15510 Old Today, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
Quote:
Only if that means our friends at Redfox are close behind. I have negative interest in anything from Cyberlink, it obviously won't be able to use MadVR, and if I were the betting type, I'd bet it will be worse than the Samsung player.
That's why I said "a step" in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page