Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 517 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3105Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #15481 of 15500 Old 11-22-2016, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 8,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Yes, just OTA.

It seems to me that there isn't a good solution for live tv with 10

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Ericglo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15482 of 15500 Old 11-22-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 20,891
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Yes, just OTA.

It seems to me that there isn't a good solution for live tv with 10
SageTV
stanger89 is online now  
post #15483 of 15500 Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 8,378
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked: 629
I can't remember if I tried Sage or not. I played with both 10 and Ubuntu. IIRC Kodi, Nextpvr, Myth, and one or two others. Nothing was like the tivo that died. The CM looks like it will be close to what I had with the tivo along with the ability to transfer recordings to the pc.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Ericglo is online now  
post #15484 of 15500 Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Since I use the PC for other things such as gaming, I don't run Kodi. But if I had a dedicated machine just for playback I'd be using it. A lot of people use JRiver too. Though it costs money, but I've heard good things. Not too sure how the UI looks though. I'd imagine it looks good. I just have MPC-HC set to go full screen when I double click on a file.
Well, I'm about to try to start forcing myself to become more accustomed to only watching movies on the PC, because I'm tired of the yellow push and blown gamma, don't want a lumagen and don't want to try to calibrate it again with internal controls (too difficult).

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

coderguy is offline  
post #15485 of 15500 Old 11-23-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Well, I'm about to try to start forcing myself to become more accustomed to only watching movies on the PC, because I'm tired of the yellow push and blown gamma, don't want a lumagen and don't want to try to calibrate it again with internal controls (too difficult).
I use Kodi DSPlayer which is basically Kodi with MadVR support and its damn right amazing. Been using Kodi for years, Plex before that...

Set up some great addons, it watches folders on my PC so I just chuck films or TV Shows where they need to go as I archive them and its already there waiting for me on the Kodi interface and added to my library. I even set up a script for watching 3D Bluray ISO backups which when selected from Kodi, opens PowerDVD and auto switches to 3D mode and 1080/24FP resolution etc... I cant really fault it other than I wouldn't mind Netflix to be available through that interface.

The iOS remote app its fantastic too, the wife has it on her device too so she can easily sit down and get rolling.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES
Javs is online now  
post #15486 of 15500 Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I use Kodi DSPlayer which is basically Kodi with MadVR support and its damn right amazing. Been using Kodi for years, Plex before that...

Set up some great addons, it watches folders on my PC so I just chuck films or TV Shows where they need to go as I archive them and its already there waiting for me on the Kodi interface and added to my library. I even set up a script for watching 3D Bluray ISO backups which when selected from Kodi, opens PowerDVD and auto switches to 3D mode and 1080/24FP resolution etc... I cant really fault it other than I wouldn't mind Netflix to be available through that interface.

The iOS remote app its fantastic too, the wife has it on her device too so she can easily sit down and get rolling.
Thanks for the info. I'll try that version of it, might PM you a couple dumb questions in a few days if you don't mind.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

coderguy is offline  
post #15487 of 15500 Old 11-23-2016, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,519
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
it looks like they are building in DRM into the Kaby Lake processors

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rele...4k-movies-pcs/

If Sony will allow this on a PC, maybe we aren't too far behind UHD BD on the PC. Javs - has there been any hints of this from PowerDVD co?
zombie10k is online now  
post #15488 of 15500 Old 11-23-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it looks like they are building in DRM into the Kaby Lake processors

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rele...4k-movies-pcs/

If Sony will allow this on a PC, maybe we aren't too far behind UHD BD on the PC. Javs - has there been any hints of this from PowerDVD co?
I haven't heard too much other than Cyberlink is indeed a registered affiliate of UHD BR so they are licensed and I guess that means they are working on something. I think we are probably also waiting on a few solid UHD BR disc drives for PC too... I know there is a handful that support it but its time to start seeing licenced drives become available.
zombie10k likes this.

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES
Javs is online now  
post #15489 of 15500 Old 11-26-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 20,891
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it looks like they are building in DRM into the Kaby Lake processors

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rele...4k-movies-pcs/

If Sony will allow this on a PC, maybe we aren't too far behind UHD BD on the PC. Javs - has there been any hints of this from PowerDVD co?
So what? I will not use that pile of crap called PowerDVD. Does anyone really think they'll care to do HDR->SDR tone mapping correctly? Remember, no madVR for commercial/protected content. I'll stick with my Panasonic for UHD until there's a solution to ripping UHD BD where I can use a real player/renderer.
stanger89 is online now  
post #15490 of 15500 Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,519
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
So what? I will not use that pile of crap called PowerDVD. Does anyone really think they'll care to do HDR->SDR tone mapping correctly? Remember, no madVR for commercial/protected content. I'll stick with my Panasonic for UHD until there's a solution to ripping UHD BD where I can use a real player/renderer.
I was mainly interested in the DRM being built into the new CPU's. seems aggressive..

some guests were over the other night, we demo'd scenes from Lucy, Pacific Rim and Deadpool in UHD/SDR/BT2020. The UB900 + HDFury combo works great for now. Ideally somewhere down the road it would be as easy as what I use the Dune solo for with 2D/3D BD ISO.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15491 of 15500 Old 11-26-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 20,891
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I was mainly interested in the DRM being built into the new CPU's. seems aggressive..
My assumption is that it's built into the GPU that happens to be in the new CPUs. I guess we'll find out if nVidia or AMD release GPUs that have the requisite DRM.

Quote:
some guests were over the other night, we demo'd scenes from Lucy, Pacific Rim and Deadpool in UHD/SDR/BT2020. The UB900 + HDFury combo works great for now. Ideally somewhere down the road it would be as easy as what I use the Dune solo for with 2D/3D BD ISO.
That's what I'm waiting for.
stanger89 is online now  
post #15492 of 15500 Old 11-26-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it's something in between. Folks have to feel comfortable installing the software on a PC, connecting the PC to the projector (either direct connect via ethernet + static IP or through network and DHCP) and then follow a series of instructions that can be relatively straight forward all the way to complex (different calibrations for R709/BT2020, etc)

The auto-cal thread can be a little overwhelming to read through. If I have time over the winter break, I'll try to create a beginners guide with screenshots for the autocal.
A beginners guide would be awesome for us auto-cal noobs
Uncle Q likes this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is online now  
post #15493 of 15500 Old 11-26-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Yes, just OTA.

It seems to me that there isn't a good solution for live tv with 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Well, I'm about to try to start forcing myself to become more accustomed to only watching movies on the PC, because I'm tired of the yellow push and blown gamma, don't want a lumagen and don't want to try to calibrate it again with internal controls (too difficult).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I use Kodi DSPlayer which is basically Kodi with MadVR support and its damn right amazing. Been using Kodi for years, Plex before that...

Set up some great addons, it watches folders on my PC so I just chuck films or TV Shows where they need to go as I archive them and its already there waiting for me on the Kodi interface and added to my library. I even set up a script for watching 3D Bluray ISO backups which when selected from Kodi, opens PowerDVD and auto switches to 3D mode and 1080/24FP resolution etc... I cant really fault it other than I wouldn't mind Netflix to be available through that interface.

The iOS remote app its fantastic too, the wife has it on her device too so she can easily sit down and get rolling.
I have been using JRiver media center for many years now on my HTPCs, it has many great features including MadVR built-in, plays ripped folders or ISO files of DVD, BDs & 3D movies, live TV with sage or other plugins and awesome music playback of my music collection which includes 1.5TBs of lossless high resolution flac files. I have an 80TB media server that is about half full with movies, I would love to fill up the rest with UHD 4K movies once optical drives and software become available. @Javs I just built a new HTPC with 1080 GTX video card and was wondering if you could provide the settings you are using with MadVR?

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is online now  
post #15494 of 15500 Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
I've had HTPC's in customer's homes for around 8 years now. For them, its just another source that they control with their Harmony remote or tablet. As a computer only user for audio/video since 1990, I've never really understood some of the "cons" of HTPC's. I have 5 kids and my home HTPC is used daily for gaming, movies, TV, internet, e-mail, accounting, etc. It is a multi-function computer that works flawlessly for audio and video. I recently had a Yamaha CX-A5100 in my system for some testing I was doing. The family hated how "complicated" it was and how easy it was to have the wrong input selected or wrong mixing/upmixing of audio selected. There are way too many user controllable features from the remote or front controls that are hidden and automatic in the HTPC. It was interesting to see a different perspective on processor vs HTPC when the users have only ever had an HTPC.

There was some discussion a while back about e-Shift and sharpness of the desktop on an HTPC. I have a 4K monitor in addition to my RS500. One issue is that Windows (even Windows 10) does not scale the desktop properly to 4K (when maintaining the same visual size of text, icons, etc. as 1080p) and will lead to blurriness. However, if one uses Word 2016 and show the same text output at 1080p and then uses Word to scale 200% and show the text at 2160p, it will always be sharper using e-Shift and 2160p. This makes the text the same apparent size on the screen. It is pretty easy to see the improvement by using 2160p and e-Shift. At the JVC training I attended last month, JVC's Jeff Marks also emphasized the improvement in sharpness with e-Shift when using 4K source material.

With 1080p Blu-ray content, I've always preferred to send 1080p to my RS500 and use e-Shift. With madshi's new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm, my preference has finally changed based on my initial observations. I spent several hours yesterday going through a bunch of my 1080p content and prefer madVR upscaling it to 2160p and output 2160p to my RS500. I agree with others and madshi that NGU really is a great improvement.
HTPCat likes this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
desertdome is online now  
post #15495 of 15500 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
madshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,945
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
With 1080p Blu-ray content, I've always preferred to send 1080p to my RS500 and use e-Shift. With madshi's new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm, my preference has finally changed based on my initial observations. I spent several hours yesterday going through a bunch of my 1080p content and prefer madVR upscaling it to 2160p and output 2160p to my RS500. I agree with others and madshi that NGU really is a great improvement.
I like to hear that!
madshi is offline  
post #15496 of 15500 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
With 1080p Blu-ray content, I've always preferred to send 1080p to my RS500 and use e-Shift. With madshi's new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm, my preference has finally changed based on my initial observations. I spent several hours yesterday going through a bunch of my 1080p content and prefer madVR upscaling it to 2160p and output 2160p to my RS500. I agree with others and madshi that NGU really is a great improvement.
So are you saying that you get the best image by turning e-shift OFF and using NGU instead as a complete replacement of e-shift?

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

coderguy is offline  
post #15497 of 15500 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
So are you saying that you get the best image by turning e-shift OFF and using NGU instead as a complete replacement of e-shift?
e-Shift is always on when sending the JVC projectors 4K.

When e-Shift is on, the processing the projector does to the image is different depending on whether it is getting 1080p or 4K. I'm eliminating/changing some of the projector processing by using NGU to upscale 1080p source material and send to the as 4K to the projector.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
desertdome is online now  
post #15498 of 15500 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
e-Shift is always on when sending the JVC projectors 4K.

When e-Shift is on, the processing the projector does to the image is different depending on whether it is getting 1080p or 4K. I'm eliminating/changing some of the projector processing by using NGU to upscale 1080p source material and send to the as 4K to the projector.
That's right, I forgot it was always on in 4k. I still own an older JVC RS-45, upgrading soon enough.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

coderguy is offline  
post #15499 of 15500 Old Today, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I've had HTPC's in customer's homes for around 8 years now. For them, its just another source that they control with their Harmony remote or tablet. As a computer only user for audio/video since 1990, I've never really understood some of the "cons" of HTPC's. I have 5 kids and my home HTPC is used daily for gaming, movies, TV, internet, e-mail, accounting, etc. It is a multi-function computer that works flawlessly for audio and video. I recently had a Yamaha CX-A5100 in my system for some testing I was doing. The family hated how "complicated" it was and how easy it was to have the wrong input selected or wrong mixing/upmixing of audio selected. There are way too many user controllable features from the remote or front controls that are hidden and automatic in the HTPC. It was interesting to see a different perspective on processor vs HTPC when the users have only ever had an HTPC.

There was some discussion a while back about e-Shift and sharpness of the desktop on an HTPC. I have a 4K monitor in addition to my RS500. One issue is that Windows (even Windows 10) does not scale the desktop properly to 4K (when maintaining the same visual size of text, icons, etc. as 1080p) and will lead to blurriness. However, if one uses Word 2016 and show the same text output at 1080p and then uses Word to scale 200% and show the text at 2160p, it will always be sharper using e-Shift and 2160p. This makes the text the same apparent size on the screen. It is pretty easy to see the improvement by using 2160p and e-Shift. At the JVC training I attended last month, JVC's Jeff Marks also emphasized the improvement in sharpness with e-Shift when using 4K source material.

With 1080p Blu-ray content, I've always preferred to send 1080p to my RS500 and use e-Shift. With madshi's new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm, my preference has finally changed based on my initial observations. I spent several hours yesterday going through a bunch of my 1080p content and prefer madVR upscaling it to 2160p and output 2160p to my RS500. I agree with others and madshi that NGU really is a great improvement.
I am in total agreement here regarding HTPC's, I have several in the house and they all are multi task PC's used for various duties and all work better than my Direct TV box that glitches all the time. With regards to MadVR's NGU are you using this in JRiver? I ask because I don't see it available when I go to the MadVR settings in jriver.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is online now  
post #15500 of 15500 Old Today, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I am in total agreement here regarding HTPC's, I have several in the house and they all are multi task PC's used for various duties and all work better than my Direct TV box that glitches all the time. With regards to MadVR's NGU are you using this in JRiver? I ask because I don't see it available when I go to the MadVR settings in jriver.
JRiver doesn't update to the latest version of madVR until it is stable for a while - especially when it has new features. Nevcairiel, the author of LAV Filters, is a main JRiver developer and he doesn't even update JRiver's LAV Filters for a while. I download the latest madVR and overwrite JRiver's installation of madVR in the plugins folder. PM if you need more details.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
desertdome is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off