Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 542 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3605Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16231 of 16257 Old 03-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 10,742
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3274 Post(s)
Liked: 3239
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Found this while doing some late night browsing on the interwebs. I believe the "Shasta Lens Package" looks like Panamorph DCl's. With 2 of those and everything else included, seems like a good deal though dated in the specs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Runco-3Dimen...YAAOSw4A5YrI0l
That's some set up - for the 3D lover !
Dave Harper likes this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16232 of 16257 Old 03-13-2017, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,460
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Ordered this from Amazon yesterday, should hopefully be a visual treat in 4K?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

alebonau and cardoski like this.
Wookii is offline  
post #16233 of 16257 Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
kohe321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Norway
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 268
@Wookii Yeah, Planet Earth 2 on Blu-Ray looked incredible in the parts that were filmed with Arri and Red cameras. There is some go-pro footage used throughout in certain parts that is a bit grainy and bad looking, as well as some lower quality cameras used to capture very rare animals in remote locations through motion-activation that looked very grainy and soft, but for the most part the series looks fantastic and is a joy to watch on the big screen.

One thing to keep in mind, though. Planet Earth 2 on bluray ran at 50fps natively as I recall, so if this is also true for the UHD version one would need a display with a HDMI input capable of this kind of bandwidth in order to get the best picture.

When I tried upscaling the bluray to 4k with the UB900 into my LS10000 as I do with all my blurays, the player reported outputting 4k at 4:2:0 8 bit. I ended up just watching it with 1080p output and internal e-shift scaling in the projector instead. Perhaps I need to check out of if the player can convert to 24p next time I watch it, so that it can output the usual 4k at 4:2:2 12bit?

Last edited by kohe321; 03-13-2017 at 06:10 AM.
kohe321 is offline  
 
post #16234 of 16257 Old 03-13-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,812
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
thanks for the heads up. I imported the BD from the UK but will double dip to see this in HDR/WCG, especially the Islands which was one of my favorites of the new series.


it looks like these folks got an early look at it, they did mention 24frames for the UHD version.

Why Planet Earth 2 is this year's must-buy 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...blu-ray-review

It looks great on the standard Blu-ray (bundled with the UHD discs), but it’s only when you switch to 4K and HDR that you can see how striking it is. The same goes for insects with slightly pearlescent wings, or the iridescent feathers of a hummingbird. Without seeing the level of colour available on the 4K Blu-ray, the beauty on offer is essentially watered down.
Dave Harper and Toe like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #16235 of 16257 Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,812
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
HTPC fans - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti is released

Nvidia is on a roll - this is the first major Ti update to use newer silicon and provide nice sized improvements over it's base product.

I took a quick shot at the pre-order lottery and won, these are going for insane $$ on ebay.





testing the first card for stability then adding the 2nd in later this week. looking forward to checking out MadVR with this beast.

Titan performance for 1/2 the price.. What a wonderful day for HTPC/Gaming fans!
zombie10k is online now  
post #16236 of 16257 Old 03-15-2017, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 100
zombie10k, are you planning to get on of those new JVC's for comparison?
Elix is offline  
post #16237 of 16257 Old 03-21-2017, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,960
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4302 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Nvidia is on a roll - this is the first major Ti update to use newer silicon and provide nice sized improvements over it's base product.

I took a quick shot at the pre-order lottery and won, these are going for insane $$ on ebay.





testing the first card for stability then adding the 2nd in later this week. looking forward to checking out MadVR with this beast.

Titan performance for 1/2 the price.. What a wonderful day for HTPC/Gaming fans!
I plan on waiting for the next gen cards before I upgrade from my SLI GTX 980s. The cost of a single 1080Ti is a little rich for my taste. An 1180 for around $500 sounds good to me.

Last edited by Seegs108; 03-22-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #16238 of 16257 Old 03-23-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 806
@zombie10k have you checked out planet earth II as yet, I got my copy from the UK comes with both uhd and blu-ray versions, wookii you got yours yet ?



some of the best shot BBC stuff have seen, and very punchy saturated colors !



Toe and zombie10k like this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #16239 of 16257 Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,812
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Al - Hi, I ordered the BD from UK a few months ago before the UHD release and we are getting the UHD in the US next week. The Islands was my favorite so far, I am looking forward to seeing it in UHD/HDR.

This is the next one on deck.. I loved this movie, favorite of the underworlds since the first and it's going to look amazing on the JVC. There's no substitute for native contrast for these low APL movies.

Tom Bley, Toe and alebonau like this.

Last edited by zombie10k; 03-23-2017 at 03:37 PM.
zombie10k is online now  
post #16240 of 16257 Old 03-23-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Al - Hi, I ordered the BD from UK a few months ago before the UHD release and we are getting the UHD in the US next week. The Islands was my favorite so far, I am looking forward to seeing it in UHD/HDR.

This is the next one on deck.. I loved this movie, favorite of the underworlds since the first and it's going to look amazing on the JVC. There no substitute for native contrast for these low APL movies.

Or, ya know, Kate Beckinsale's behind in a skin tight sleek black catsuit
Ericglo and zombie10k like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #16241 of 16257 Old 03-23-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Al - Hi, I ordered the BD from UK a few months ago before the UHD release and we are getting the UHD in the US next week. The Islands was my favorite so far, I am looking forward to seeing it in UHD/HDR.

This is the next one on deck.. I loved this movie, favorite of the underworlds since the first and it's going to look amazing on the JVC. There's no substitute for native contrast for these low APL movies.

~

hi zombie, good to hear yours not far away. I've been very impressed through not looked at the blu-ray as yet. one thing i'll say is the saturation of colours has certainly surprised me with planet earth. where usually when fire up a uhd and if I havent selected the uhd preset for my jvc for the right colour space then the uhd can look a bit bleak and unsaturated. well this one almost looked ok ! and then I selected the uhd preset I have on the jvc and it was WOW !!!

I've only watched the islands episode so far, really nice, some nice locations with fantastic scenery and photography used all through.
zombie10k likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #16242 of 16257 Old 03-25-2017, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,812
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Celluon PicoBit Video Projector

I've been interested in reading about these laser based PICO projectors since the original Picopro and Sony models were released. Celluon has a newer model release at the end of last year, the Picobit which is a bit brighter.

Once Amazon started stocking these, I wanted to pick one up and see how it looks.

It's amazingly small. exactly the same dimensions as a Samsung S7 and about twice the thickness. It has Android installed for the OS and a micro HDMI connector + USB C for charging and a micro SD slot. It has a tripod mount in the bottom which is great to prop up with this inexpensive tripod. The top surface is a touch pad for navigating the OS.

First impressions were a little surprising, I wasn't sure what to expect. It's much better than I thought it would be. It definitely has a brighter perceived image when compared against the minuscule lumen ratings. Skin tones were quite good out of the box but the saturation is way overcooked and needed a few clicks down to tame it.

What is really the most interesting part of the picture quality is the contrast. It's the closest thing I have seen to the JVC, possibly better in certain ways as it doesn't display any light in the dark areas of the image.

There is some laser speckle when it's displaying a small image (~30 inches) but at larger 50-60" sizes I didn't see it much or find it distracting. I'm going to try and calibrate it later tonight and post a couple of screens if possible.




Size perspective vs. the LG PF1500 and the Sharp 30K 3D DLP.




it's amazing how fast this technology is moving. That small Intel PC stick would have been science fiction 10+ years ago. And a projector shooting lasers that fits in your pocket. very cool tech!!
Dave Harper, cardoski and Elix like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #16243 of 16257 Old 03-25-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post




it's amazing how fast this technology is moving. That small Intel PC stick would have been science fiction 10+ years ago. And a projector shooting lasers that fits in your pocket. very cool tech!!
I have a 32ft 5thwheel trailer parked deep in the Canadian woods. The side of it is flat and white, I often thought about having a PJ but need something that doesn't draw a lot of juice. This thing might do the trick for late night movies. So compact and can't imagine it draws any real power. I bet you could run that off a battery booster. lol

It's always in the last place you look.
cardoski is online now  
post #16244 of 16257 Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,812
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I have a 32ft 5thwheel trailer parked deep in the Canadian woods. The side of it is flat and white, I often thought about having a PJ but need something that doesn't draw a lot of juice. This thing might do the trick for late night movies. So compact and can't imagine it draws any real power. I bet you could run that off a battery booster. lol
I have a number of portable battery packs and was going to test it to see the run time I could get, the built in battery is only good for about 2 hours on wifi.

Miracast works perfect with the S7 and it has apple wireless display support as well.

Growing up with B&W TV's in the 1970's (and the Goldberg's JVC VCR in the 80's) this is really unbelievable. I showed it several folks who couldn't believe this was possible.

One scary part though, the laser is extremely bright and almost came close a few times of catching it in the eye. I can see why there is no chance they can make a consumer version of this at the lumen output we expect from the HT projectors.

this is definitely a keeper..
cardoski likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #16245 of 16257 Old 03-25-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have a number of portable battery packs and was going to test it to see the run time I could get, the built in battery is only good for about 2 hours on wifi.

Miracast works perfect with the S7 and it has apple wireless display support as well.

Growing up with B&W TV's in the 1970's (and the Goldberg's JVC VCR in the 80's) this is really unbelievable. I showed it several folks who couldn't believe this was possible.

One scary part though, the laser is extremely bright and almost came close a few times of catching it in the eye. I can see why there is no chance they can make a consumer version of this at the lumen output we expect from the HT projectors.

this is definitely a keeper..
How many lumens? What size do you need to project to get a 15fl image?

How much from Amazon? Can you link me?

This could be viable option for the bedroom or some such...

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #16246 of 16257 Old 03-25-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
I was curious what the native contrast was like on my Sony VW60 - turns out it's "only" 7000:1, lol. Looks pretty good in my light controlled room but it's pretty likely that any current projector would have better blacks.


Been waiting to upgrade from my Black Pearl, getting a b-stock RS400 hopefully in 10 days.
By changing bulbs every 1200 hours and using a Darbee I've got 9 years of usage from that PJ, $4000 then. I've got it sold to a guy at work for $500 with the Darbee, he's upgrading from an ancient 720p unit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Garrett likes this.
mtbdudex is online now  
post #16247 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 127
It's "sad" to think it's only worth $500 but that's how it goes. Still shoots a pretty nice picture. I'm still working on upgrade options but not unhappy with the Sony while things get sorted out.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is offline  
post #16248 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
It's "sad" to think it's only worth $500 but that's how it goes. Still shoots a pretty nice picture. I'm still working on upgrade options but not unhappy with the Sony while things get sorted out.

Totally agree still a decent picture.
Imo the Darbee extended that.

I like to amortize things for a value study viewpoint.
$4000-500=3500, divide by 9 give $390 per year usage. Usage is at least weekends consistently, sometimes weeknights. Call it 100 days usage per year then. About $4 per usage, cheaper than movie matinee pricing, more so considering say 3 people on average are watching.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtbdudex is online now  
post #16249 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Totally agree still a decent picture.
Imo the Darbee extended that.

I like to amortize things for a value study viewpoint.
$4000-500=3500, divide by 9 give $390 per year usage. Usage is at least weekends consistently, sometimes weeknights. Call it 100 days usage per year then. About $4 per usage, cheaper than movie matinee pricing, more so considering say 3 people on average are watching.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet if you amortized it over the amount of hours on the bulb it would be way cheaper. Total hours (including multiple bulb changes) divided by 2 and then divide that by 3 gives you a per movie cost.

I'm with you on keeping things as long as possible. They cost too much not to.
biliam1982 is online now  
post #16250 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,127
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5831 Post(s)
Liked: 3755
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
I bet if you amortized it over the amount of hours on the bulb it would be way cheaper. Total hours (including multiple bulb changes) divided by 2 and then divide that by 3 gives you a per movie cost.

I'm with you on keeping things as long as possible. They cost too much not to.
Buy preorder, keep a little less than a year, sell and buy preorder again does pretty good also. I know many that have done that pretty successfully. It helps if you have a second projector, so that you can sell before the new models come out. Otherwise you are without a projector for a couple months. This usually does pretty good cost wise and you get the latest model.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #16251 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Buy preorder, keep a little less than a year, sell and buy preorder again does pretty good also. I know many that have done that pretty successfully. It helps if you have a second projector, so that you can sell before the new models come out. Otherwise you are without a projector for a couple months. This usually does pretty good cost wise and you get the latest model.
Mike, yea there's some exceptions to every rule. I would do that too, but, like you said, you'll need to have a second projector to tide you over. And you still may lose some money and/or need cash in reserve for the pre-order.

Also, it screws up your plans when they skip a model year or there's no pre-order pricing. Wasn't that the case with this latest round of JVC's?
biliam1982 is online now  
post #16252 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,127
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5831 Post(s)
Liked: 3755
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Mike, yea there's some exceptions to every rule. I would do that too, but, like you said, you'll need to have a second projector to tide you over. And you still may lose some money and/or need cash in reserve for the pre-order.

Also, it screws up your plans when they skip a model year or there's no pre-order pricing. Wasn't that the case with this latest round of JVC's?
Yep, always some risks in life. You will not come out ahead or even, but usually you come out okay. You take multiple small hits and get to play with latest technology or keep a long time and sell for next to nothing and spend a big chunk at one time. Once you have a fairly high end projector, for many people, it is a lot easier to come up with say $500 to $1,000 each year than it is to come up with $5,000 to $6,000 in 5 to 6 years.
mtbdudex and LumenChip like this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #16253 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Totally agree still a decent picture.
Imo the Darbee extended that.

I like to amortize things for a value study viewpoint.
$4000-500=3500, divide by 9 give $390 per year usage. Usage is at least weekends consistently, sometimes weeknights. Call it 100 days usage per year then. About $4 per usage, cheaper than movie matinee pricing, more so considering say 3 people on average are watching.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely the right way to calculate things.

But if I think of it like this - I tell my wife that the wonderful projector I have downstairs THAT SHE DOESNT THINK NEEDS UPGRADING is worth $500 to someone - then I'll get the angry birds scowl for sure. Lol, but seriously my wife has resigned herself to whatever happens in the theatre happens. You should have heard my excellent discussion about how it made sense and was almost cost neutral to sell some gear and upgrade from the Emotiva XMC1 to the Datasat RS20i.
Dave Vaughn and mtbdudex like this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is offline  
post #16254 of 16257 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yep, always some risks in life. You will not come out ahead or even, but usually you come out okay. You take multiple small hits and get to play with latest technology or keep a long time and sell for next to nothing and spend a big chunk at one time. Once you have a fairly high end projector, for many people, it is a lot easier to come up with say $500 to $1,000 each year than it is to come up with $5,000 to $6,000 in 5 to 6 years.
This is a very good alternative, both options will likely be within the cost range, but one option will give you the best viewing year after year. I feel that once 4K hits the shelves in volume, the resale value of 1080p will fall like a stone. I have bought into the idea of frequent upgrades but will first wait for affordable 4k projectors before kicking off the new habit.
LumenChip is offline  
post #16255 of 16257 Old Today, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,812
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
How many lumens? What size do you need to project to get a 15fl image?

How much from Amazon? Can you link me?

This could be viable option for the bedroom or some such...
Hey sorry I missed this post, Amazon US just sold the last one in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X93WFBP

the advertised lumens are quite low ~60 but it looks a good bit brighter than this number would indicate. It must be the RGB laser.

I'll try to get some screens using a manual exposure to match what i'm seeing in person.

It definitely works best in a dark room. The image is very analog looking, basically like a CRT and the perceived native contrast is noticeably better than the majority of projectors I've had here.

Folks at my work who keep seeing the demo can't believe this is a real product. technology is awesome!
zombie10k is online now  
post #16256 of 16257 Old Today, 01:21 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 10,742
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3274 Post(s)
Liked: 3239
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hey sorry I missed this post, Amazon US just sold the last one in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X93WFBP

the advertised lumens are quite low ~60 but it looks a good bit brighter than this number would indicate. It must be the RGB laser.

I'll try to get some screens using a manual exposure to match what i'm seeing in person.

It definitely works best in a dark room. The image is very analog looking, basically like a CRT and the perceived native contrast is noticeably better than the majority of projectors I've had here.

Folks at my work who keep seeing the demo can't believe this is a real product. technology is awesome!
That little projector is wild ! Good thing that wasn't available 7 years ago, or I would have been too tempted to buy 3 or 4 of them for Burning Man !!

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is online now  
post #16257 of 16257 Old Today, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,812
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That little projector is wild ! Good thing that wasn't available 7 years ago, or I would have been too tempted to buy 3 or 4 of them for Burning Man !!
Think about this with a little smoke in the room... very cool effects.

For the movie prop fans, this was the laser they used for the opening scene in Aliens:

http://www.nfilipovic.com/electronics/argon-ion-laser





greyscale was very close to D65 out the box. the resulting image does not look like a $400 projector... that fits in your pocket.
zombie10k is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off