Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 548 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3739Likes
post #16411 of 16439 Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
this SDR conversion comparison then won't likely go over well. Were any improvements made since the initial release of the feature?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/207309
I'd love to sit Oppo engineers down and make them look at this over and over to see if they can spot the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16412 of 16439 Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3393 Post(s)
Liked: 3372
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
The only downside to check for (and this was something I found when using this control in SDR) is crushing white. If you look a a scene with sky and clouds and adjust that control too far you will see detail disappear. I found about +3 was as far as I was willing to go.
I sort of bounced back and forth between +3 and +4. I'm waiting for Jeff of Accucal to get here in 2 1/2 weeks, for another set of eyes ( and instruments ).
Dave Harper likes this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #16413 of 16439 Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I sort of bounced back and forth between +3 and +4. I'm waiting for Jeff of Accucal to get here in 2 1/2 weeks, for another set of eyes ( and instruments ).
Let us know what his thoughts are if you can.

post #16414 of 16439 Old 04-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3393 Post(s)
Liked: 3372
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Let us know what his thoughts are if you can.
I certainly will !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #16415 of 16439 Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
this SDR conversion comparison then won't likely go over well. Were any improvements made since the initial release of the feature?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/207309

SDR conversion aside, the new UB900 HDR slider is a big deal. Vincent demonstrates it at the end of the video and it's a valuable tool for HDR capable displays.
HOLY HELL!! The image from the Oppo is just plain Hideous!!!
Dave Harper and curlyjive like this.
post #16416 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked: 1519
Awfully frustrated at the moment.... I'm reminded why I was so thrilled when I found alternatives and was able to decommission my (Windows?) HTPC for playback so long ago...

I picked up a GTX 1060, dropped it in my spare i7 920 rig, threw an old SSD in, and did a fresh install of a fresh download of Windows 10. Installed the latest nVidia drivers, Kodi DSplayer, madVR.... Things were going pretty well, my flirc even "just worked" after I swapped it from my Chromebox/LibreELEC machine.

Unfortunately that's where it stops. Most times I try to play something, the video will play in a different window, it seems I can "fix" it by reinstalling Kodi (no other changes) but I have no idea what causes it to break.
Second, for some reason it likes to kick my RS600 into Gamma D, which is really weird because I have a Linker with HDR Disabled in between.
And finally, there's the frame drops/repeats.

And on top of all of that, there's definitely no obvious improvement in the picture quality over LibreELEC. I did set madVR to NGU for everything but I didn't really get a chance to tweak anything as I spent most of my time trying to figure out why the video would launch in a separate window all the time

post #16417 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Awfully frustrated at the moment.... I'm reminded why I was so thrilled when I found alternatives and was able to decommission my (Windows?) HTPC for playback so long ago...

I picked up a GTX 1060, dropped it in my spare i7 920 rig, threw an old SSD in, and did a fresh install of a fresh download of Windows 10. Installed the latest nVidia drivers, Kodi DSplayer, madVR.... Things were going pretty well, my flirc even "just worked" after I swapped it from my Chromebox/LibreELEC machine.

Unfortunately that's where it stops. Most times I try to play something, the video will play in a different window, it seems I can "fix" it by reinstalling Kodi (no other changes) but I have no idea what causes it to break.
Second, for some reason it likes to kick my RS600 into Gamma D, which is really weird because I have a Linker with HDR Disabled in between.

And on top of all of that, there's definitely no obvious improvement in the picture quality over LibreELEC. I did set madVR to NGU for everything but I didn't really get a chance to tweak anything as I spent most of my time trying to figure out why the video would launch in a separate window all the time

Do you need to use Kodi? I would recommend MPC-HC if you're after a better standalone media player. Kodi is a beautiful front end application to show off your collection but it's media player is no where near as robust or granular or stable as MPC-HC.

I don't know if this is still an option but you used to be able to use a 3rd party media player inside Kodi. You might be able to set it up to have the best of both worlds. Kodi front end with MPC-HC as the media player.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 08:18 AM.
post #16418 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 481
It might make sense to first experiment with a "simple" media player like MPC-HC, just to check if you can see a noticeable improvement in quality at all. If you can't (e.g. due to JVC not being 4K native), then it might not be worth the trouble for you.

FWIW, my JVC does not have e-shift, so I don't know how well an e-shift JVC can reproduce a 4K signal. What I can say is that with high quality material (DSLR photos) upscaling with NGU looks significantly better than what Reality Creation does in my Sony 4K flat panel. However, with movie content, the difference is less obvious. The higher quality the source, the stronger the difference...
post #16419 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:

I also had an issue with Kodi and Madvr. But it works fantastic when i use MPC, pretty obvious improvement when upscaling some of my 720p files. Certainly better then the E-shift on my JVC.

It's always in the last place you look.
post #16420 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Do you need to use Kodi? I would recommend MPC-HC if you're after a better standalone media player. Kodi is a beautiful front end application to show off your collection but it's media player is no where near as robust or granular or stable as MPC-HC.

I don't know if this is still an option but you used to be able to use a 3rd party media player inside Kodi. You might be able to set it up to have the best of both worlds. Kodi front end with MPC-HC as the media player.
Kodi DSPlayer is just fine once its set up. Pretty much never crashes on me.

For those with no mouse or keyboard on the sofa its a must. Everything controlled via iOS, not stupid file system browsing... I couldn't ever consider MPC-HC for that, its not even close to being able to do what I want it to.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
post #16421 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Kodi DSPlayer is just fine once its set up. Pretty much never crashes on me.

For those with no mouse or keyboard on the sofa its a must. Everything controlled via iOS, not stupid file system browsing... I couldn't ever consider MPC-HC for that, its not even close to being able to do what I want it to.
You don't need a mouse and keyboard to control MPC-HC. Also, as mentioned before, you can use MPC-HC as the default player seamlessly inside of Kodi. It's a FAR better media player imo compared to the one built into Kodi. Best of both worlds.

This is a video I made 5 years ago to show this functionality when Kodi used to be called XBMC (the stuttery video is due to the capture software I was using at the time):

There's a guide here on how to achieve this:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596

The MPC logo in the third image can be removed if you go into MPC-HC "Options" -> "Player" -> "Logo" and set it to the blank logo. Once the OSD and this logo is removed, it's a seamless transition into the media player from Kodi and you'd never know an external media player launched and was being used for playback. Again, best of both worlds and you won't have wonky issues like an external window opening when you try to playback a file.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 12:54 PM.
post #16422 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't need a mouse and keyboard to control MPC-HC. Also, as mentioned before, you can use MPC-HC as the default player seamlessly inside of Kodi. It's a FAR better media player imo compared to the one built into Kodi. Best of both worlds.

This is a video I made 5 years ago to show this functionality when Kodi used to be called XBMC (the stuttery video is due to the capture software I was using at the time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33UYas6wCE

There's a guide here on how to achieve this:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596

The MPC logo in the third image can be removed if you go into MPC-HC "Options" -> "Player" -> "Logo" and set it to the blank logo. Once the OSD and this logo is removed, it's a seamless transition into the media player from Kodi and you'd never know an external media player launched and was being used for playback. Again, best of both worlds and you won't have wonky issues like an external window opening when you try to playback a file.

I know how to do it, i use powerdvd for 3d blurays from inside Kodi, but I don't think you are getting it. DSPlayer is a new player built into Kodi which enables MadVR, it overrides the built in player completely, have you actually used it?

Tell me why you think its a far better player?

One program not two, is the best solution especially when its totally flawless. Im waiting for you to tell me what is wrong with it.

Also 5 years... lol man its had almost multiple ground up rebuilds since then.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
post #16423 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know how to do it, i use powerdvd for 3d blurays from inside Kodi, but I don't think you are getting it. DSPlayer is a new player built into Kodi which enables MadVR, it overrides the built in player completely, have you actually used it?

Tell me why you think its a far better player?

One program not two, is the best solution especially when its totally flawless. Im waiting for you to tell me what is wrong with it.

Also 5 years... lol man its had almost multiple ground up rebuilds since then.
Why use powerdvd? You can use MPC-HC for frame packed 3D. Does DS Player not allow that?
post #16424 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why use powerdvd? You can use MPC-HC for frame packed 3D. Does DS Player not allow that?
My 3D blurays are ISO's and they are going to stay that way.

DSPlayer doesn't like ISO's, it will play the 3D MKV's fine. But my HTPC is actually my PC, my JVC has to be the primary display for 3D to work, and I don't like the resolution switching ball game that happens with 3D, I have to leave 3D mode ticked in the Nvidia control panel, which then forces some of my actual PC apps or games into anaglyph 3D mode at a later time when I open them, its just buggy. So 3D is a bit more of a manual affair right now.

I am going to be buying a DuneHDSolo pretty soon anyway, I want my HTPC to have nothing to do with 3D, its nothing but a headache through Nvidia and looks like ****. I am not even watching 3D right now because of it.

I hate MPC-HC Seegs. There is no scenario where I am going to use it. I have hated it since the year 2000. I have legitimately tried it multiple times though, its even currently installed and MadVR works with it, I just find it clunky and outdated since it requires a mouse. There is no need to use it when DSPlayer plays everything instantly and flawlessly with no hiccups, my iOS control app for Kodi is the only thing I ever have to touch, and my wife can use it etc etc... I am just not getting why MPC-HC over DSPlayer? Can you list some reasons as to why I would use that?

Both can fully support every audio format under the sun, 3D is a non issue for me, both can play MKV 3D but I prefer ISO. I still get the full Kodi OSD at all times with DSPlayer etc and resume support (CRUCIAL for me)...

In your video you were still using a mouse or keyboard. Can the Kodi iOS app control MPC-HC? I just don't get it dude. Where is the scenario where this is the better app for video? Is it because it has more menu and filter options? Irrelevant if using MadVR.

-
post #16425 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oppo UDP-205...

No UHD Darbee, Still no Streaming solutions...

No thanks.

Also, its $2200 in Australia, which is $1700USD. Australia Tax is harsh sometimes. Pathetic.

-
post #16426 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked: 3171
Quote:
Oppo UDP-205...

No UHD Darbee, Still no Streaming solutions...

No thanks.

Also, its $2200 in Australia, which is $1700USD. Australia Tax is harsh sometimes. Pathetic.

wow that is a lot of $$ if no major improvements in the video area. in the BD threads, some were blaming the SDR conversion issues on the mediatek chipset but it's hard to say why they haven't been able to fix it.

I use my Dune Solo almost exclusively for 2D / 3D BD ISO playback. It does a great job with this content and it handles BD MENU well or just jump right into the movie bypassing everything. no cinavia bs either.

I just watched the limited release of Fright Night (1985) re-mastered + HD audio. No issues navigating the BD menus for the extras on the disk.

reminder UHD Underworld Blood Wars is shipping now. I liked the 3D version, curious to see how the HDR version looks.
post #16427 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Did anyone else receive their Best Buy UHD/3D combo pack for Underworld Blood Wars? Mine cam today, but it only contains the UHD and blu (no 3d) even though my confirmation email clearly states this was supposed to be a 3d/UHD combo. I'm returning it unless someone can confirm the actual combo pack exists? I don't want to pay the asking price for just the UHD without the 3d and will just rent.

JVC CMD Vertical Banding: Affects all currently shipping lamp based JVC Projectors
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
post #16428 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Did anyone else receive their Best Buy UHD/3D combo pack for Underworld Blood Wars? Mine cam today, but it only contains the UHD and blu (no 3d) even though my confirmation email clearly states this was supposed to be a 3d/UHD combo. I'm returning it unless someone can confirm the actual combo pack exists? I don't want to pay the asking price for just the UHD without the 3d and will just rent.
unfortunately this was confirmed in the Bluray forum that it was UHD only and BB later removed the 3D label from the website listing.

it now looks like the only 3D option is an import. I grabbed mine from Japan since it's region A, but amazon.de will have the region B for ~ $23.
Toe likes this.
post #16429 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My 3D blurays are ISO's and they are going to stay that way.

DSPlayer doesn't like ISO's, it will play the 3D MKV's fine. But my HTPC is actually my PC, my JVC has to be the primary display for 3D to work, and I don't like the resolution switching ball game that happens with 3D, I have to leave 3D mode ticked in the Nvidia control panel, which then forces some of my actual PC apps or games into anaglyph 3D mode at a later time when I open them, its just buggy. So 3D is a bit more of a manual affair right now.

I am going to be buying a DuneHDSolo pretty soon anyway, I want my HTPC to have nothing to do with 3D, its nothing but a headache through Nvidia and looks like ****. I am not even watching 3D right now because of it.

I hate MPC-HC Seegs. There is no scenario where I am going to use it. I have hated it since the year 2000. I have legitimately tried it multiple times though, its even currently installed and MadVR works with it, I just find it clunky and outdated since it requires a mouse. There is no need to use it when DSPlayer plays everything instantly and flawlessly with no hiccups, my iOS control app for Kodi is the only thing I ever have to touch, and my wife can use it etc etc... I am just not getting why MPC-HC over DSPlayer? Can you list some reasons as to why I would use that?

Both can fully support every audio format under the sun, 3D is a non issue for me, both can play MKV 3D but I prefer ISO. I still get the full Kodi OSD at all times with DSPlayer etc and resume support (CRUCIAL for me)...

In your video you were still using a mouse or keyboard. Can the Kodi iOS app control MPC-HC? I just don't get it dude. Where is the scenario where this is the better app for video? Is it because it has more menu and filter options? Irrelevant if using MadVR.
I never intended to argue, I just absolutely love MPC-HC and advocate it's use whenever I can.

In the video, yes, I was using a mouse and keyboard but at the time of making that video I was trying to show that you didn't have to use the then terrible (by comparison) internal media player, not control the app externally. But MPC-HC does not need to be controlled via a mouse and keyboard and there are android (and probably iOS) apps that can control the media player as well as Windows Media IR remotes.

Turning the 3D blurry iso into an mkv saves a ton of space. All you do is load the ISO into an application and press a button. It's simple and efficient due to the hardddrive space savings.

With MadVR set up properly it will automatically enable frame packed 3D mode and disable it when I'm done watching. No issues whatsoever. I don't have to set anything manually. Perfect parallax, nothing to set up manually and it works seamlessly. It's all automatic and I've never ran into issues. That should be expected after 15+ years of development. Not really sure what headaches with nvidia you're referring to as I've not run into any myself. I have had some issues with Intel iGPUs and 3D playback but never nvidia.

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 09:46 PM.
post #16430 of 16439 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Quote:
unfortunately this was confirmed in the Bluray forum that it was UHD only and BB later removed the 3D label from the website listing.

it now looks like the only 3D option is an import. I grabbed mine from Japan since it's region A, but amazon.de will have the region B for ~ $23.
Appreciate the info and I might import the Japanese version. Was the 3d pretty good in this?

JVC CMD Vertical Banding: Affects all currently shipping lamp based JVC Projectors
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
post #16431 of 16439 Old Today, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never intended to argue, I just absolutely love MPC-HC and advocate it's use whenever I can.

In the video, yes, I was using a mouse and keyboard but at the time of making that video I was trying to show that you didn't have to use the then terrible (by comparison) internal media player, not control the app externally. But MPC-HC does not need to be controlled via a mouse and keyboard and there are android (and probably iOS) apps that can control the media player as well as Windows Media IR remotes.

Turning the 3D blurry iso into an mkv saves a ton of space. All you do is load the ISO into an application and press a button. It's simple and efficient due to the hardddrive space savings.

With MadVR set up properly it will automatically enable frame packed 3D mode and disable it when I'm done watching. No issues whatsoever. I don't have to set anything manually. Perfect parallax, nothing to set up manually and it works seamlessly. It's all automatic and I've never ran into issues. That should be expected after 15+ years of development. Not really sure what headaches with nvidia you're referring to as I've not run into any myself. I have had some issues with Intel iGPUs and 3D playback but never nvidia.
Bud dont sweat it, I am not arguing here, just genuinely asking since when I tried the program for myself, with MadVR in the mix with both options I just never saw a reason to sway from DSPlayer is all. If you are talking about vanilla Kodi, I 100% agree and I wouldn't even question it.

The way you feel about MPC-HC is how I feel about DSPlayer now

MadVR should absolutely be included in the main branch of Kodi.

One such Nvidia headache I have had, the PC will switch left/right parallax etc whenever the hell it feels like, and other times the default depth point will be completely haywire, I have spent a lot of time in the past trying to trouble shoot why 3D looks so damn **** on the PC at times, I found eventually a solid reboot and a fresh toggle of the Nvidia 3D enable on and off before even attempting to use 3D was in order, but that is really frustrating and I shouldn't have to do that.

There is also the question about crosstalk, because it actually differs depending on players unfortunately. My JVC and the last, cannot completely get rid of crosstalk unless I go Crosstalk Cancel -8. When I say completely I mean truly flawless crosstalk as per that fantastic 3D Test pattern Zombie gave me. -4 is acceptable if I need the brightness but -8 is noticeably perfect. This is with the Xpand glasses, and OEM JVC Emitter. I am almost keen to try a pair of official JVC glasses to see if the real polarisation helps crosstalk somehow.

I may look at trying MVC Mkv's again soon. I still feel like I will end up just having a Dune connected in the future.

-
post #16432 of 16439 Old Today, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Appreciate the info and I might import the Japanese version. Was the 3d pretty good in this?
yes I thought it was very good considering it's a relatively low APL movie. it looked excellent on the JVC in 3D - very sharp and clear in the night scenes. I like this one much better than awakening and there is a good twist to the story that will open it up for future movies.

The Japanese version was selling for $40 on ebay, you can pick it up here for a bit less when this region free version is released in may. they also have the RE final chapter 3D available as well, assuming the 3D bundle(s) from BB were not as advertised. So no US 3D releases of either title.

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/underwo.../11396047.html

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/residen.../11407244.html
Toe likes this.
post #16433 of 16439 Unread Today, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I may look at trying MVC Mkv's again soon. I still feel like I will end up just having a Dune connected in the future.
I have a huge 3D BD collection and originally ripped everything to MKV for my mede8ter since it didn't do BD Menu. I decided I want all the ISO's preserved in original format for the extras etc so I cleared out all the MKV's after I got the Dune Solo over a year ago. It offers the best of both options, the full BD menu for extras or a quick click and jump right into the movie. We just bought a 2nd one for upstairs.
yoguy1 likes this.
post #16434 of 16439 Unread Today, 02:40 PM

Quote:

MPC-HC is great for desktop use (I use it there all the time), an external player, especially one with no real remote integration (no OSD for enabling/selecting subs or audio streams) is just not going to happen.

Quote:

No offense, but that's not seamless, automatic, but not seamless. The OSD is completely different from Kodi, there's no OSD for selecting audio/sub, etc.

Javs, Any ideas about the external window issue, or suggestions on the frame repeats?
post #16435 of 16439 Unread Today, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
suggestions on the frame repeats?
Probably the video clock is too fast compared to the audio clock, so madVR has to repeat video frames once in a while to keep audio and video in sync. This problem can be solved either by using Reclock (resamples audio, I don't like the concept), or by creating a custom resolution which fixes the clock mismatch. I'm planning to automate the creation of custom resolutions to take care of this purpose soon.

At some point I'm also planning to add an (optional) GUI/OSD for choosing subtitle/audio tracks and other things like that, which will then work for all media players using madVR.
post #16436 of 16439 Unread Today, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
MPC-HC is great for desktop use (I use it there all the time), an external player, especially one with no real remote integration (no OSD for enabling/selecting subs or audio streams) is just not going to happen.

No offense, but that's not seamless, automatic, but not seamless. The OSD is completely different from Kodi, there's no OSD for selecting audio/sub, etc.

Javs, Any ideas about the external window issue, or suggestions on the frame repeats?
When I choose a movie to play inside Kodi it is seamless. There's no OSD, message or any indication at all that MPC-HC has opened up on top of Kodi when playback begins. Though you can enable an OSD if you want. With the way I have it set up, if you had never used Kodi before you would have no idea that a new player was being used as nothing looks out of the ordinary when you select a movie/show and playback begins. I HATE having an OSD overlay displaying messages as it looks terrible and unprofessional. If you want to change audio formats or choose a subtitle there are dedicated controls you can use to swap through them via android/iOS app commands. Since you have this options, you don't need an OSD for selecting such options. If you enable the OSD you can use IR commands or keyboard macros to scroll through audio and subtitle options. Most of the time forced subs are already set to play by default/flag and original audio is set to default as well. Not often would you need to have to mess with settings to get proper audio or subtitles.

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 04:05 PM.
post #16437 of 16439 Unread Today, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I choose a movie to play inside Kodi it is seamless. There's no OSD, message or any indication at all that MPC-HC has opened up on top of Kodi when playback begins. Though you can enable an OSD if you want. With the way I have it set up, if you had never used Kodi before you would have no idea that a new player was being used as nothing looks out of the ordinary when you select a movie/show and playback begins. I HATE having an OSD overlay displaying messages as it looks terrible and unprofessional. If you want to change audio formats or choose a subtitle there are dedicated controls you can use to swap through them via android/iOS app commands. Since you have this options, you don't need an OSD for selecting such options. If you enable the OSD you can use IR commands or keyboard macros to scroll through audio and subtitle options. Most of the time forced subs are already set to play by default/flag and original audio is set to default as well. Not often would you need to have to mess with settings to get proper audio or subtitles.
Each to their own. But a deal-breaker for me,

You also get no resume support inside Kodi anymore, and I use that a lot. Een stopping a film 5 minutes after it started would mark it as watched inside Kodi and the film would vanish off the front screen in my setup, would seem more like a bug than a feature.

Also, one remote to rule them all

DSPlayer does it all inside Kodi, I don't see why any person would override it since both will do MadVR at the same identical level of quality at the end of the day.

-
post #16438 of 16439 Unread Today, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Probably the video clock is too fast compared to the audio clock, so madVR has to repeat video frames once in a while to keep audio and video in sync. This problem can be solved either by using Reclock (resamples audio, I don't like the concept), or by creating a custom resolution which fixes the clock mismatch. I'm planning to automate the creation of custom resolutions to take care of this purpose soon.

At some point I'm also planning to add an (optional) GUI/OSD for choosing subtitle/audio tracks and other things like that, which will then work for all media players using madVR.
Yeah, well I guess I knew, that, I've just become really lazy in setting up my playback devices. That said, I guess the repeated frame problem was that nVidia doesn't provide a 4K "23" resolution that's preconfigured for 23.976Hz.

I'm still really baffled why madVR only works after a fresh install of Kodi/DSplayer, if I exit Kodi at all, it doesn't work anymore.

OK, I think I figured it out. I setup the machine to auto log into a limited account, but I originally installed madVR from the admin account. Looks like the root of the problem was madVR was installed in a path the limited user didn't have access to. Installing to an accessible seems to have fixed the issue. I also made a custom 23.976Hz custom resolution, so we'll see if things go better now.

Though oddly, I have no idea why it appeared to "sometimes" work...

Last edited by stanger89; Today at 06:17 PM.
post #16439 of 16439 Unread Today, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I use jriver with madvr and ngu works everytime, 3d, bd or dvd folders, isos, mkvs all work several apps that will control everything, but i mostly use.my urc mx980 remote. No menus though so dune hd has it beat there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread