Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 549 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3741Likes
post #16441 of 16448 Unread Today, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
And I'm still not sure I've got the output levels right, I had the nVidia CP set to 12bit 4:4:4, which appears to default to Limited range, and then I have Kodi/madVR set to 16-235 as well, and my RS600 set to Limited
For best image quality please always use RGB full range (0-255) output in the Nvidia GPU control panel. Then in madVR you can properly select between 0-255 and 16-255, and choose the matching setting in the JVC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16442 of 16448 Unread Today, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2913 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
For best image quality please always use RGB full range (0-255) output in the Nvidia GPU control panel. Then in madVR you can properly select between 0-255 and 16-255, and choose the matching setting in the JVC.
I'll give that a try
post #16443 of 16448 Unread Today, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
unfortunately this was confirmed in the Bluray forum that it was UHD only and BB later removed the 3D label from the website listing.

it now looks like the only 3D option is an import. I grabbed mine from Japan since it's region A, but amazon.de will have the region B for ~ $23.
Any idea if RE is the same way? If so I'll cancel my BB order and just get it from Amazon.

post #16444 of 16448 Unread Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
I'm still getting the weird thing where my RS600 will go into Gamma D on it's own, very odd.

And I'm still not sure I've got the output levels right, I had the nVidia CP set to 12bit 4:4:4, which appears to default to Limited range, and then I have Kodi/madVR set to 16-235 as well, and my RS600 set to Limited, and if I didn't know better I'd say I'm still getting black crush. I'm not sure, I haven't had a chance to get out test patterns yet.
If you haven't already, take a look at this excellent guide. Scroll down to post #2 , under the "Properties – RGB Output Levels" section:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

After struggling to get calibration with 16-235 to work, I switched over to 0-255 (option 3 in that post). It was a lot simpler, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I've also started gaming on my PC, and running 0-255 certainly helps games look better.
post #16445 of 16448 Unread Today, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
If you haven't already, take a look at this excellent guide. Scroll down to post #2 , under the "Properties – RGB Output Levels" section:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

I'm actually using Option 2 there, but I need to try RGB instead of YPbPr.

Quote:
After struggling to get calibration with 16-235 to work, I switched over to 0-255 (option 3 in that post). It was a lot simpler, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I've also started gaming on my PC, and running 0-255 certainly helps games look better.
That's not going to work, every other device connected to my system is a CE device, so they're all calibrated to Limited Range/Video levels. And since my RS600 isn't managing switching, there's no way to have a different calibration just for the PC. Besides it shouldn't be necessary anyway, that just introduces extra, unnecessary conversions.
post #16446 of 16448 Unread Today, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
That's not going to work, every other device connected to my system is a CE device, so they're all calibrated to Limited Range/Video levels. And since my RS600 isn't managing switching, there's no way to have a different calibration just for the PC.
I'm assuming the RS600 allows you to save user calibration settings in addition to input settings. Since I don't have a JVC yet, I might be mistaken about how this works. In my theater I have a macro that selects the 0-255 calibration on my Epson when I start the HTPC activity on my Logitech remote. When I watch TV, it select the 16-235 calibration. It does add a bit of complication to the startup sequence, but it was worth it for my needs.

Quote:
Besides it shouldn't be necessary anyway, that just introduces extra, unnecessary conversions.
Doesn't the JVC, like most display devices, convert all incoming video signals to RGB 0-255 for processing purposes? It'll output whatever you want, but I'm guessing it goes through that conversion internally anyway. Besides, the conversion between is just a coefficient remapping anyway. Take a look at the conversation here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...92#post1766592

I'm no expert on this stuff, which is why I defer to the experts on Doom9 and other similar places. If I'm mistaken, I'd be happy to update my understanding on this topic.
post #16447 of 16448 Unread Today, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
I'm assuming the RS600 allows you to save user calibration settings in addition to input settings. Since I don't have a JVC yet, I might be mistaken about how this works. In my theater I have a macro that selects the 0-255 calibration on my Epson when I start the HTPC activity on my Logitech remote. When I watch TV, it select the 16-235 calibration. It does add a bit of complication to the startup sequence, but it was worth it for my needs.
I can't remember if input settings are saved with user settings, but there's a limited number of user presets, and I'm already using a number of them, I don't really want to have to make two of each of them (I exaggerate a bit since my HDR presets wouldn't apply to the PC).

Quote:
Doesn't the JVC, like most display devices, convert all incoming video signals to RGB 0-255 for processing purposes? It'll output whatever you want, but I'm guessing it goes through that conversion internally anyway. Besides, the conversion between is just a coefficient remapping anyway.
If done at 10+ bits it's not a big deal, and with madVR it's probably not a big deal anyway, but regardless, expanding to 0-255 just makes everything more difficult in my setup.

Though what I think it's really going to come down to is, is madVR enough better to be worth the ~$100 it's going to cost me for another Windows license to run it.... At the moment, I'm thinking not.
Bluescale likes this.
post #16448 of 16448 Unread Today, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked: 3172
Quote:
Any idea if RE is the same way? If so I'll cancel my BB order and just get it from Amazon.
Very likely the same scenario given the current conversation on Bluray forum. It looks like only way for 3D for these 2 titles is import.

the UHD of Underworld Blood Wars arrives tonight and looking forward to seeing how it looks with the custom curve + hdfury. This has an ATMOS track this time vs. the 3D which was DTS-MA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread