Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 566 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3932Likes

post #16951 of 16958 Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
how is a $10,000 projector with P3 gamut but no HDR support not a beta product?

that review was terrible, they better make some serious changes for the follow up model.

get that RBE in check, fix the milky contrast, add FI for starters at that high price point.
Now you are changing argument from lens shift and p3 to something else and criticizing the very 1st gen products from 2016 heh.

The UHD65 is a 2nd gen product with fantastic results for the price.

And, it does not change that laser/led is the way to go with dlp and p3. Color wheel saps too much color from lamp.

2nd gen w11500/x12500 add HDR and other improvements that should bring them in line with other 2nd gen products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16952 of 16958 Old Today, 09:20 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Ha so you can name 1 that came out in 2012 with over 100 models since then. Proves my point. You really can't find a friend to twist a dial for 30 seconds 1 time? Most people don't care much about this feature so the dlp manufs instead lower cost or put money towards stuff people care more about.

Rec709 has nothing to do with cost, it's that sequential color saps too much light from reasonably powered bulbs to make p3 25% additional hit worthwhile. BenQ has led x12000 in same chassis with p3, for instance. Even w/ 310w lamp Vivitek engineers says p3 is too much of a lumens hit.

Bottom line laser or led required for p3 dlp. Placement flexibility probably not mandatory for most and minimal shift keeps pj price low while still having very sharp lens.
A motorized lens is a MUST for my main 2d projector. I switch between 1.78, 1.85 and 2.40 constantly on my scope screen and there is no way I could go back to a manual lens after being spoiled with a motorized lens and lens memory.
sonichart likes this.

JVC CMD Vertical Banding: Affects all currently shipping lamp based JVC Projectors
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
PLEASE CALL JVC AND REPORT THE CMD BANDING IF THIS BOTHERS YOU
1-800-252-5722
Choose option 1, then 4 and have your serial# ready (located on back of unit or box).
post #16953 of 16958 Old Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
A motorized lens is a MUST for my main 2d projector. I switch between 1.78, 1.85 and 2.40 constantly on my scope screen and there is no way I could go back to a manual lens after being spoiled with a motorized lens and lens memory.
The BenQ chassis allows you to do this without motorized lens by having an anamorphic lens attached as supported by the chassis and using the anamorphic lens mode settings in the pj to switch between 1.78:1 and 2.35:1 when using said lens.

post #16954 of 16958 Old Today, 09:28 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
The BenQ chassis allows you to do this without motorized lens by having an anamorphic lens attached as supported by the chassis and using the anamorphic lens mode settings in the pj to switch between 1.78:1 and 2.35:1 when using said lens.

Is the anamorphic lens included?

JVC CMD Vertical Banding: Affects all currently shipping lamp based JVC Projectors
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
PLEASE CALL JVC AND REPORT THE CMD BANDING IF THIS BOTHERS YOU
1-800-252-5722
Choose option 1, then 4 and have your serial# ready (located on back of unit or box).
post #16955 of 16958 Old Today, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked: 2383
Quote:
But, this is why a $2k-$3k 4k dlp is so attractive right now, as we wait for 4k to mature...
4K is already here. There's already over 200 UHD Blu-ray discs out. There really isn't much maturing left to do. The only maturing I can think of would be getting more movies mastered in 4K to avoid upscaled UHD BDs. We'll be coming into the second year of UHD BD which will only bring us more and more content. But if we go by what you're saying and assume 4K isn't mature yet, what's the point in buying something like the UHD65 if it supports something that isn't mature yet? I think if you don't have a ton of money to buy a projector, the used market is a great place to look. There are JVC DLA-X500's selling for less than $2000. Pair that with an HDFury and enjoy the 4K SDR content from your UHD blu-ray player. Even Runco LS-3's and other units like it sell all the time for around or below $1000. All have better overall images compared to the UHD65. Better overall PQ is always something I'd take over a single strong performance area like having more addressable pixels through XPR. That one strength isn't enough to make me want to make the switch. I compared HDR two nights ago on the UHD65 and my RS500. There were a couple close up shots where I thought I could make out a little more detail on the UHD65, but 99% of the time the JVC clearly looked better. Color, contrast, brightness, subjective dynamic range and bright highlights looked way better on the JVC for the entirety of the film.
DavidHir likes this.
post #16956 of 16958 Old Today, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Is the anamorphic lens included?
No sir, just stating the capability for CIH 16:9/scope toggle both in terms of chassis mounting hardware and firmware features is included in the BenQ design, of course at the $$$ expense of the additional lens (Panamorph Paladin is the one they designed the pj to be used with).
post #16957 of 16958 Old Today, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
4K is already here. There's already over 200 UHD Blu-ray discs out. There really isn't much maturing left to do. The only maturing I can think of would be getting more movies mastered in 4K to avoid upscaled UHD BDs. We'll be coming into the second year of UHD BD which will only bring us more and more content. But if we go by what you're saying and assume 4K isn't mature yet, what's the point in buying something like the UHD65 if it supports something that isn't mature yet? I think if you don't have a ton of money to buy a projector, the used market is a great place to look. There are JVC DLA-X500's selling for less than $2000. Pair that with an HDFury and enjoy the 4K SDR content from your UHD blu-ray player. Even Runco LS-3's and other units like it sell all the time for around or below $1000. All have better overall images compared to the UHD65. Better overall PQ is always something I'd take over a single strong performance area like having more addressable pixels through XPR. That one strength isn't enough to make me want to make the switch. I compared HDR two nights ago on the UHD65 and my RS500. There were a couple close up shots where I thought I could make out a little more detail on the UHD65, but 99% of the time the JVC clearly looked better. Color, contrast, brightness, subjective dynamic range and bright highlights looked way better on the JVC for the entirety of the film.
I understand where you are coming from but it seems like a lot of work and $ to get to what is still at best a 3k-ish image with horrendous gaming performance, plus need to depend on what is essentially HDCP hack device.

The HK2288 once goes down a bit from MSRP might be a great do it all stopgap measure until laser 4k is cheaper.
post #16958 of 16958 Old Today, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked: 2383
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from but it seems like a lot of work and $ to get to what is still at best a 3k-ish image with horrendous gaming performance, plus need to depend on what is essentially HDCP hack device.

The HK2288 once goes down a bit from MSRP might be a great do it all stopgap measure until laser 4k is cheaper.
The RS520 has lower input lag than the UHD65. Absolute resolution does not play out in the real world in the way you're making it seem. The additional contrast, brightness, lens quality and color saturation give the RS520's image so much more depth and body that it aides in giving the impression that the image is higher in resolution than eshift objectively makes it. As I said, for the entirely of a 2 hour movie, my RS500 gave a much better subjective picture than the UHD65 did even though it has more pixels on screen. There was only 1 or 2 close up shots for a few moments each where I could tell a difference in resolution. Am I supposed to give up the better image for the projector that gave literally 5-10 seconds of better subjective detail on screen? No, most definitely not.

The HK2288 will not change what I've said above. It will only marginally narrow that HUGE gap in overall performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page