Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 586 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4188Likes

post #17551 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6602 Post(s)
Liked: 4287
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
David was definitly unlucky (and lucky with his 500 by the sounds of things), and the only person I've heard of with the amount of issues he's described as most people seem to get a good one and never look back (like myself). That's not to say that all other Epsons are good either, but no projector out there is perfect and some definitey have more issues and 'features' than others. You just have to pick the one that floats your boat the most or has the least amount of issues you can live with within your price range.

Throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind; there's far too much bashing from some 'team' members here IMHO if you're not on their team. JVC owners saying how bad Epsons uniformity is when they have bright corners (since th HD1) and image noise come to mind. Not all have bright corners, but not all Epsons have uniformity issues either. Seeing two and assuming it's indicative of the entire model range seems a tad extreme.
I did not get that from Seegs post at all. He said uniformity seems to be better on the JVC's, but bright corners worse. On the Epson he said uniformity is worse, but bright corners are less of an issue. From what I have seen, that seems to be pretty correct. I agree with your comment that all projectors have some issues and you have to pick your poison.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17552 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
IRE 10

IRE 40

Last edited by mmdd; 07-25-2017 at 12:51 AM.
post #17553 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4959 Post(s)
Liked: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd View Post
IRE 10

IRE 40
Thanks! These have much less noise and the uniformity is much easier to make out in these shots. The left side seems to have more green, where the right side has more red.

post #17554 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post
Unlucky ?
Well, I think he was very lucky indeed to find an X500 with "no bright corners at all, perfect grey uniformity, great convergence and focus" including no issues with noice.

All this is relative and so far I have yet to see a X500 which I'd considered to be good enough for me.
My former RS4810 was about on par with my X500. As Seegs mentioned, bright corners were more of an issue with earlier JVCs and most recent models (especially upper tier). I think the 2013-14 JVCs were very troublefree. Greyscale uniformity has been generally good on JVCs for a while - I've seen about six or seven JVCs over time and all were very good here.
post #17555 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 2078
My RS520 had bright corners that were still visible when I zoomed for 2.35/40 so that is no guarantee to get rid of them. My RS45 has them as well, but they are not as noticeable as the ones on my 520. I did recently open the aperture from -7 to -3 For 2.40 on the 45 which did make the bright corners even less visible on my nearly 2000 hour bulb.

JVC CMD Vertical Banding: Affects all currently shipping lamp based JVC Projectors
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
PLEASE CALL JVC AND REPORT THE CMD BANDING IF THIS BOTHERS YOU
1-800-252-5722
Choose option 1, then 4 and have your serial# ready (located on back of unit or box).
post #17556 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Thanks! These have much less noise and the uniformity is much easier to make out in these shots. The left side seems to have more green, where the right side has more red.
But keep in mind two things:
They are long exposure photos (3 sec).
In first person it is very difficult to appreciate this for me.
If you have a probe that measures in this range(IRE 10) it is possible to achieve better uniformity. It is very difficult to have D65 correctly.
In any case I do not appreciate any problem with the actual content and certainly not like the previous images.

Last edited by mmdd; 07-24-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #17557 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3389 Post(s)
Liked: 3471
post #17558 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
My RS520 had bright corners that were still visible when I zoomed for 2.35/40 so that is no guarantee to get rid of them. My RS45 has them as well, but they are not as noticeable as the ones on my 520. I did recently open the aperture from -7 to -3 For 2.40 on the 45 which did make the bright corners even less visible on my nearly 2000 hour bulb.
Do you have an image for the "paper test" that you can provide of your RS45. I'm just curious to see how bad it is. The RS400 I had here had no bright corners at all, but the RS500 I just sold was worse off. The paper test exaggerates things quite a bit. Despite what the paper test shows, it's much harder for me to see this issue at all with real content and was only visible with an all black image on screen for enough time for my eyes to adjust for it:

RS400:

RS500:

post #17559 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 2078
Quote:
Do you have an image for the "paper test" that you can provide of your RS45. I'm just curious to see how bad it is. The RS400 I had here had no bright corners at all, but the RS500 I just sold was worse off. The paper test exaggerates things quite a bit. Despite what the paper test shows, it's much harder for me to see this issue at all with real content and was only visible with an all black image on screen for enough time for my eyes to adjust for it:

RS400:

RS500:

Our experiences sound similar. I don't have a pic of that test handy, but will try and remember to snap one when Im down there next.

I also only noticed this on FTB scenes as far as real world content goes and was a minor issue for me in the grand scheme of things. I would like to see it improved don't get me wrong, but it certainly wasn't a deal killer for me on it's own.

JVC CMD Vertical Banding: Affects all currently shipping lamp based JVC Projectors
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rojectors.html
PLEASE CALL JVC AND REPORT THE CMD BANDING IF THIS BOTHERS YOU
1-800-252-5722
Choose option 1, then 4 and have your serial# ready (located on back of unit or box).
post #17560 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
This was Dave Harper's LS10K @ 40 IRE
I've seen four LS10000s and now four different forum member's pics (which is 8 LS projectors total) and ALL have greyscale uniformity issues.
post #17561 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I haven't been following the Epson 5040/6040 thread, its my understanding that model has a color uniformity setting to help mitigate these issues -- anyone play with this? I assume it sacrifices some gamut/calibration headroom but maybe it is still a net win (for us picky folks) if there are other attributes of the projector that are preferred.

Too bad this feature will probably never come to a next-gen Lumagen but maybe MadVR could (or does) have such a transformation already present to fix this (with ~painstaking measurements)?

For Sale: Marantz SR7008 || Triad RackAmp 350 DSP v2 || Navitar 0.65x conversion lens

Σ Info: Δ 8.5' viewing distance AT screen fabrics comparison
Σ Builds:
Δ HT 2.0 renovation with acoustic coffered ceiling (in progress, 10% completed)
Δ Variable-aspect screen with motorized masking (on hold, have parts)
post #17562 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
I haven't been following the Epson 5040/6040 thread, its my understanding that model has a color uniformity setting to help mitigate these issues -- anyone play with this? I assume it sacrifices some gamut/calibration headroom but maybe it is still a net win (for us picky folks) if there are other attributes of the projector that are preferred.

Too bad this feature will probably never come to a next-gen Lumagen but maybe MadVR could (or does) have such a transformation already present to fix this (with ~painstaking measurements)?
Color uniformity seems to be less of a priority among manufacturers than it used to be. When it comes to uniformity the best display in my house is a LCD from 2008. The panel uniformity is perfect (although the backlight does cause some clouding). I imagine it's no longer considered worth the expense to achieve this. I returned three Panasonic ST60s for horrible lavender clouding that could be seen in shots of clouds etc and this was a very highly regarded set. My F8500 is much better but far from perfect.

The JVC I returned had the best uniformity I've seen in a while. My Sonys aren't far behind it. They haven't been perfect but nothing that was visible outside of test patterns. I would imagine it's easier to achieve uniformity on a tiny projector panel than it would be to regulate voltages etc on a plasma.
post #17563 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
You're kind of making the assumption that all owners are checking for or would notice such issues. The fact is, it only really stands out to the point where you can clearly see an issue if you were to pull up a full field test pattern. Otherwise it looks like what David showed in his images above, aka way less obvious and would probably only be bother someone who's sensitive to such artifacts. If we had everyone go looking for it, I'm sure you'd see more people distressed by the issue. For instance, no one believed me when I told them eshift on all the Epson LS series units had an optical loss of sharpness. It wasn't until I had them go and look specifically for it (and Ekki over at cine4home reporting it in both his LS10000 and LS105000 reviews) that people started to believe me.
I'm not assuming anything - I wouldn't think for a second that every owner bothers to throw up test patterns and go looking for issues like that (or others), but even if every Epson had uniformity issues, it's how visible they are that is important - if you don't see them in real terms it shouldn't be an 'issue', a bit like with CRTs and the brightness uniformity they had - could be 40% less bright at the edges than the center for example, and sometimes that would depend on the contrast modulation setting (if it had one) but peope wouldn't say they produced a bad image. Same with bright corners, banding, image noise or visible DI issues, it all depends on how visible and distracting they can be to an individual. The JVC does seem to have more than it's fair share but it doesnt seem to stop people buying them, mainly due to it's strengths elsewhere.

If you have to throw up a test pattern to make it visible, you can probably find something wrong (or more than one thing) with every pj out there, then it becomes one of those 'knowledge of things' examples that can bug people more than what is actually visible in real terms. Knowing the issues and what to look for can be quite important, but they should be placed into context - we want to watch movies not artifacts so the things we can't see should be ignored IMHO, otherwise we wouldn't buy anything.

Quote:
I also want to point out that JVC projectors have not had bright corner issues since the HD1. Since the RS40 there has not been widespread issues with bright corners until the RS400/500/600. There was a 4 generation gap where the issue was essentially taken care of. it's only been the last two years that we've seen this issue return. It does seem that the Epson's tend to have less of an issue with bright corners than it does with uniformity issues. I say this because there are more reports of that than there are with bright corners.
Sorry to dissagree with you, but I saw bright corners on both the HD1 and HD100 when they were first introduced. I beleive Greg Rogers mentions it in his WSR articleback in the day (2007?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #17564 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything - I wouldn't think for a second that every owner bothers to throw up test patterns and go looking for issues like that (or others), but even if every Epson had uniformity issues, it's how visible they are that is important - if you don't see them in real terms it shouldn't be an 'issue', a bit like with CRTs and the brightness uniformity they had - could be 40% less bright at the edges than the center for example, and sometimes that would depend on the contrast modulation setting (if it had one) but peope wouldn't say they produced a bad image. Same with bright corners, banding, image noise or visible DI issues, it all depends on how visible and distracting they can be to an individual. The JVC does seem to have more than it's fair share but it doesnt seem to stop people buying them, mainly due to it's strengths elsewhere.

If you have to throw up a test pattern to make it visible, you can probably find something wrong (or more than one thing) with every pj out there, then it becomes one of those 'knowledge of things' examples that can bug people more than what is actually visible in real terms. Knowing the issues and what to look for can be quite important, but they should be placed into context - we want to watch movies not artifacts so the things we can't see should be ignored IMHO, otherwise we wouldn't buy anything.
You're missing the point. You were trying to say that it's not as much of an issue as we're making it out to be because not everyone is reporting about it or you were at least insinuating that based on your "David is just unlucky" comment that all 4 of his units are not what would considered to be normal performance. My point is that it's not something that is painfully obvious within the image and that's why you aren't hearing about it as much. But as David points out. All 4 of his units and the other 4 people who've posted images who were explicitly asked to look (on top of the units Zombie and I have seen) all have the issue. I'm just curious, but have you posted images of your unit? I'm assuming you own an LS10000 or LS10500? Can we see the 40% IRE full field window? If we were to ask more owners to explicitly look and photograph a 40% IRE window how many more affected units do we need for you to consider this issue a problem that most units have? I'm fully willing to admit that most current generation JVC units have bright corner issues, and have admitted many times already. Are you willing to admit to uniformity issues with the Epson LS series projectors?

Quote:
Sorry to dissagree with you, but I saw bright corners on both the HD1 and HD100 when they were first introduced. I beleive Greg Rogers mentions it in his WSR articleback in the day (2007?).
You didn't read my post properly. I said from the RS40 until the RS500 (several generations), the issue was not affecting most units. Most JVCs did not have an issue with it. It's only been the more recent models that have had it since the older chassis design models. Yes the HD1 and HD100 had it, but it was remedied for many generations until recently.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-24-2017 at 06:13 PM.
post #17565 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I did like the Epson LS10000 and the laser aspect, but the uniformity issues were bothersome including on content with color such as whites, beige, and light greys. Also, two of the LS10000s I had also suffered from bright corners; one of the units was so bad that the brighter corners actually extended into the center of the image which I had never seen before - far worse than I had seen on a JVC before. My last LS10000 did not have corner issues, but the grey uniformity on these stood out a lot. I attached two screen shots below from the Espon where it showed in color content in the form of pink/magenta. The cell camera actually didn't show the issue as bad as it was so it's a bit worse than what you see.

I recently picked up a used, low hour, very nice sample JVC X500 (RS4910) from a forum member. It has no bright corners at all, perfect grey uniformity, great convergence and focus. I didn't have a chance to compare it to the LS10000, but one thing that struck me was how much better the blacks are in my environment with the JVC with content I am familiar with on both projectors. Eshift is also a bit sharper on the X500. No issues with noise on this unit either. I've got Chad B hopefully coming out next month to calibrate it.

[iurl="http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2255217&d=1500869576"][/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2255225&d=1500869576"][/iurl]
You should have stayed team JVC lol
post #17566 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
You're missing the point. You were trying to say that it's not as much of an issue as we're making it out to be because not everyone is reporting about it or you were at least insinuating that based on your "David is just unlucky" comment that all 4 of his units are not what would considered to be normal performance. My point is that it's not something that is painfully obvious within the image and that's why you aren't hearing about it as much. But as David points out. All 4 of his units and the other 4 people who've posted images who were explicitly asked to look (on top of the unit's Zombie and I have seen) all have the issue. I'm just curious, but have you posted images of your unit? I'm assuming you own an LS10000 or LS10500? Can we see the 40% IRE full field window? If we were to ask more owners to explicitly look and photograph a 40% IRE window how many more affected units do we need for you to consider this issue a problem that most units have? I'm fully willing to admit that most current generation JVC units have bright corner issues, and have admitted many times already. Are you willing to admit to uniformity issues with the Epson LS series projectors?
I'm saying it's not much of an issue if its not visible with normal content. Test patterns are important to determine the underlying performance, but movies are what we usually watch for entertainment. Bright corners are a visible issue as you've already conceded, but Epsons uniformity in the most part isn't an issue because you have to throw up a test pattern to see it. Hope that's clear.

Without taking a photo or even looking, I'm willing to concede my Epson may have non perfect uniformity if that makes you happy. It makes no difference to my viewing enjoyment either way. Bright corners would however, as does image noise.

Quote:
You didn't read my post properly. I said from the RS40 until the RS500 (several generations), the issue was not affecting most units. Most JVCs did not have an issue with it. It's only been the more recent models that have had it since the older chassis design models. Yes the HD1 and HD100 had it, but it was remedied for many generations until recently.
'Essentially fixed' and 'not affecting most units', means the problem was still there to some degree and not remedied at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #17567 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
I'm saying it's not much of an issue if its not visible with normal content.
It depends what you watch, I've owned some projectors with terrible white-level uniformity, and you can notice it occasionally. However, depending on how severe it is, I usually rank the overall issue fairly low on my totem pole.

Color blocking from poor black-level uniformity or gamma issues in dark content is much more noticeable generally speaking because of the type of content I watch, but how much white-level uniformity exists doesn't exactly equate to how much black-level uniformity will exist. That said, the bright corners issue of the JVC is not very noticeable because it is in the corners, if it were in the middle, it would be far more noticeable.

Never seen the Epson lasers, so I cannot comment specifically on that one.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #17568 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
That feature can help and improve upon the LS, but if the uniformity issue is in the center of the image there is not enough range in the setting to correct it.
post #17569 of 17651 Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I'm saying it's not much of an issue if its not visible with normal content. Test patterns are important to determine the underlying performance, but movies are what we usually watch for entertainment. Bright corners are a visible issue as you've already conceded, but Epsons uniformity in the most part isn't an issue because you have to throw up a test pattern to see it. Hope that's clear.

Without taking a photo or even looking, I'm willing to concede my Epson may have non perfect uniformity if that makes you happy. It makes no difference to my viewing enjoyment either way. Bright corners would however, as does image noise.

'Essentially fixed' and 'not affecting most units', means the problem was still there to some degree and not remedied at all.
The difference here is that I'm insinuating most Epson LS series projectors have uniformity issues. The odds seem to be stacked in the favor that if you buy an LS series projector you're going to have issues with white field uniformity. The same goes with JVC projectors with bright corners. Do you agree? The point being made about the RS40 to RS500 units was that, more than likely, you weren't going to receive a unit with bright corners. That has changed now. But for several years most units were not affected.
post #17570 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Do you agree? The point being made about the RS40 to RS500 units was that, more than likely, you weren't going to receive a unit with bright corners. That has changed now. But for several years most units were not affected.
I don't know, there were a lot of JVC's with bright corners, every one I ever saw had it to some extent, the HP 2.8 screen somewhat hides them however, the 2.4 screen a little less. If you project JVC on a regular screen, it's more noticeable. You've owned more JVC's than I have, so maybe your right, but I've seen quite a few at dealers too.

The bright corners is mostly only noticeable on newer lamps, once the lamp starts to age, I think the problem changes in a non-linear amount (though it could just be because the amount of perceived light at low APL levels is non-linear in itself).

When my PJ was brand new, I noticed the bright corners, I cannot even see them right now.

post #17571 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I don't know, there were a lot of JVC's with bright corners, every one I ever saw had it to some extent, the HP 2.8 screen somewhat hides them however, the 2.4 screen a little less. If you project JVC on a regular screen, it's more noticeable. You've owned more JVC's than I have, so maybe your right, but I've seen quite a few at dealers too.

The bright corners is mostly only noticeable on newer lamps, once the lamp starts to age, I think the problem changes in a non-linear amount (though it could just be because the amount of perceived light at low APL levels is non-linear in itself).

When my PJ was brand new, I noticed the bright corners, I cannot even see them right now.
I swear the " elevated corners " ( mine weren't that " bright ) faded after 50 - 100 hours of use. I've heard others say the same thing.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #17572 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I swear the " elevated corners " ( mine weren't that " bright ) faded after 50 - 100 hours of use. I've heard others say the same thing.
Yah, I saw mine fade out, but it's been a while since I've had a new lamp, so don't remember if it comes back on a new lamp.

post #17573 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I've had many different copies of the same projector here over the years, variances between each copy are real when looking closely at the details. it didn't matter the manufacturer or the cost. areas such as the corners on the JVC, greyfield uniformity on the Epson/Sony, out of the box convergence (common to all 3 panel manufacturers) and lens uniformity (common to all models including the DLPs)

When I see someone talking about any projector, I wonder - where is that copy in the range of worst to best? Is it a 5 or a 9.5? We are all not looking at exactly the same image despite the model # being the same. I'v had 5's and 9.5's stacked with a split source. I would want to keep the 9.5..

There are golden samples for all the manufacturers. there is one take-away, if you get a great copy and looking to upgrade there's no guarantee the next projector is going to be of the same quality in all these areas.

cine4home knows this and has collected & reported data on quantities of the same model. hand pick the copies that meets his criteria and sells them as the Cine4home edition. it's not practical for dealers here to do that but there's definitely some folks that would pay extra for a gs.
DavidHir likes this.
post #17574 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I've had many different copies of the same projector here over the years, variances between each copy are real when looking closely at the details. it didn't matter the manufacturer or the cost. areas such as the corners on the JVC, greyfield uniformity on the Epson/Sony, out of the box convergence (common to all 3 panel manufacturers) and lens uniformity (common to all models including the DLPs)

When I see someone talking about any projector, I wonder - where is that copy in the range of worst to best? Is it a 5 or a 9.5? We are all not looking at exactly the same image despite the model # being the same. I'v had 5's and 9.5's stacked with a split source. I would want to keep the 9.5..

There are golden samples for all the manufacturers. there is one take-away, if you get a great copy and looking to upgrade there's no guarantee the next projector is going to be of the same quality in all these areas.

cine4home knows this and has collected & reported data on quantities of the same model. hand pick the copies that meets his criteria and sells them as the Cine4home edition. it's not practical for dealers here to do that but there's definitely some folks that would pay extra for a gs.
So Zombie ol' chap

I finally pulled the trigger on the rs600 and have been putting it through it's paces by following some of the instructions you set out in the owners thread.Thanks.

In a word......wow.....I have been quite blown away actually.
Black levels are the best I have seen(or owned) in my set up.
The whites are are just as impressive.
Color reproduction is excellent as is sharpness.
I am using THX mode at the moment(as Ron Jones recommended in his review).

So far I have it stacked up against my trusty ol' Panny AE2000.
Its been a bit of a massacre in pretty much every department.

Off in the distance my 1000es(armed with it's ISCO 1.25) waits.
But without even comparing the 2 side by side......I know it's not going to be a contest in terms of contrast.

No bright corners that I have noticed either.
All in all my first impressions are that this is one hell of a machine.
Craig Peer and Javs like this.
post #17575 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 6602 Post(s)
Liked: 4287
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
So Zombie ol' chap

I finally pulled the trigger on the rs600 and have been putting it through it's paces by following some of the instructions you set out in the owners thread.Thanks.

But without even comparing the 2 side by side......I know it's not going to be a contest in terms of contrast.

Yep and at close out pricing, one heck of a bargain.
TheSony4KRises likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #17576 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
So Zombie ol' chap

It sounds like you have a good copy..

good to hear a positive first experience so far.

Are you going to be exploring UHD HDR content? If considering, I recommend the Panasonic UB900 + HDfury combo for set it and forget it HDR viewing.

keep us posted on your experience with it and any questions. You may want to try my basic setup for the user mode in the signature vs. the THX setting and see how you like.
TheSony4KRises likes this.
post #17577 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hey guys, in terms of motion ( Not counting DLP) is Sony my best bet?

I had a Epson 9300 found motion to be worse than my 5 year old Epson 9500ub. So stepped up to the JVC X420, image quality went up of course but motion was worse, found even the slightest movement blurred the image more than i was use to. CMD was a no go due to reported banding but even when it was on i still wasnt happy.

Not sure whats changed over the years in terms of how the image is processed compared to my old projector but my eyes cant seem to settle on the image. Doesn't feel natural and smooth.

Thinking of either repicking up my projector second hand or waiting to see if a new Sony is due out end of year.

Tempted by Epson lasers but need low input lag and would like 18gbs ports.

Guessing i should wait to see what Epson and Sony do at Cedia.
post #17578 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This was Dave Harper's LS10K @ 40 IRE
Dave asked me to clarify this was his first LS10K with a faulty panel and that the replacement was better. He currently has an LS10.5K and will be looking at the 30-40 patterns.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #17579 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
Hey guys, in terms of motion ( Not counting DLP) is Sony my best bet?
In my opinion yes.

Motionflow True Cinema and Smooth Low are very effective IMO. Better than the modes currently available on a JVC.
post #17580 of 17651 Old 07-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 4005 Post(s)
Liked: 3308
Quote:
It sounds like you have a good copy..

good to hear a positive first experience so far.

Are you going to be exploring UHD HDR content? If considering, I recommend the Panasonic UB900 + HDfury combo for set it and forget it HDR viewing.

keep us posted on your experience with it and any questions. You may want to try my basic setup for the user mode in the signature vs. the THX setting and see how you like.
Why exactly does one still need the fury integral when using new the arve curves and whatnot? I thought that was just if you wanted to scrub HDR?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
FS: BossoBass A-14K amplifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page