Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 597 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4298Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17881 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,283
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Hehe

That Alien laserdisc is my goto when I am feeling in a "grindhouse" mood.
I also have the 1990 Criterion collection laserdisc of Close Encounters which was the first ever branching release that allowed you to watch the theatrical or special edition.

Those late 80s/early 90s transfers also kept the dirt and the grain.

I actually have my Pioneer 925 laserdisc player wired up to my Panny AE2000 and plug in the odd laserdisc when I feel like watching beat up transfers.

When I want better quality than laserdisc.....and want to watch dark material/sci-fi then the rs600 is my port of call.

And if I want to be immersed in pure UHD sharpness then the Sony 1000es the comes in to play.

Looking forward to getting the UHDs of E.T and Close Encounters.
I still have my Pioneer CLD-99 + Yamaha DTS decoder. having the DTS version of Jurassic Park was a big deal back then.

this was a 10 year later unboxing of the sealed 30th Close Encounters BD. Some nice gold in there including the 30+ page book of cast and set + a map of the 3 versions that are also on the UHD HDR version as well.


TheSony4KRises likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17882 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,756
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6956 Post(s)
Liked: 4648
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I agree however the only issue is you will be completely at Emotivas mercy to get any chip updates out and that will certainly not happen in a hurry when there are new technologies announced.

They only just barely got the XMC up to date with hdcp 2.2 and hdr passthrough etc IIRC. People were in the lurch for well over a year on that.
Yep, that is a factor that also has to be included into the decision.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #17883 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Member
 
khactuyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, California, 95112-6147
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Send a message via Yahoo to khactuyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The second I can do that with UHD discs, I'll be all over it. My whole collection of Blu-ray's are ripped to my server. Though I don't use madVR, I picked up a GTX 1060 to give madVR (via DSPlayer) a try, but I didn't notice a difference. Probably my eyesight, which is quite good, but not perfect uncorrected, and I don't have distance glasses other than my sunglasses.
Do you have another player as Pana UD900 or Oppo 2xx? Do you think PQ upscaling 4K on HTPC (GTX 1060) is better?
Thanks.
khactuyen is offline  
 
post #17884 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Are there no hardware players that have 24p support for Netflix? It seems like this is something they should have gotten straightened out years ago considering probably 95%+ of all the content they stream/host is 24p.


Has anyone with a linker tried to spoof their player into 24p? I remember with one of the first chromecasts it couldn't do 60p bandwidth so it dropped to 24p.

I wonder if you were to strip all the modes except 24p with a linker if the player would switch to 24p.

Anyone got one to have a go?
AndreNewman is online now  
post #17885 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,829
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Has anyone with a linker tried to spoof their player into 24p? I remember with one of the first chromecasts it couldn't do 60p bandwidth so it dropped to 24p.

I wonder if you were to strip all the modes except 24p with a linker if the player would switch to 24p.

Anyone got one to have a go?
You'd have to make your own custom EDID to test this out, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work anyways.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #17886 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,283
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
What is it you see that gives it away that it's 60p? i.e. is it the soap opera effect? I've been trying to decide on ub900 vs oppo 203 with Roku. I read that the Netflix on the Panny is 60p but wasn't sure what the end result looked like...
it doesn't look like 24p with FI turned on, it's more natural appearing and I think it looks good with fast paced content like Marvel's Iron Fist. The Roku is also stuck at 60p, only the Samsung 8500 will run 24p with Netflix. I have one here still but dread turning it on. slow interface, terrible remote.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17887 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it doesn't look like 24p with FI turned on, it's more natural appearing and I think it looks good with fast paced content like Marvel's Iron Fist. The Roku is also stuck at 60p, only the Samsung 8500 will run 24p with Netflix. I have one here still but dread turning it on. slow interface, terrible remote.


Is this with your jvc or the sharp dlp? 3:2 pulldown always looks terrible on my jvc x7000 and far worse on my Optoma HD30 dlp.

I've been working abroad since I got the jvc so haven't had chance to build some useful profiles and find all the nuances, never mind HDR curves etc. If you have a profile that makes 3:2 pulldown look ok please share the relevant settings.
AndreNewman is online now  
post #17888 of 17904 Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it doesn't look like 24p with FI turned on, it's more natural appearing and I think it looks good with fast paced content like Marvel's Iron Fist. The Roku is also stuck at 60p, only the Samsung 8500 will run 24p with Netflix. I have one here still but dread turning it on. slow interface, terrible remote.
Send me a pm if you want to get rid of it.
blee0120 is offline  
post #17889 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 22,400
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by khactuyen View Post
Do you have another player as Pana UD900 or Oppo 2xx? Do you think PQ upscaling 4K on HTPC (GTX 1060) is better?
Thanks.
Honestly I can't tell a difference in my setup. I know Javs thinks MadVR is a bit better than the Panasonic, but I think he said they're close. And lets be clear it's not just any old scaling on the PC, it's specifically madVR, which is a bit of a pain since it's not supported by every player.
khactuyen likes this.
stanger89 is online now  
post #17890 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,283
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Send me a pm if you want to get rid of it.
I'm going to fire it up one more time to take a look at Netflix HDR content with the 8500, UB900 and Roku Ultra now that I have a specific HDR series i'm familiar with. I don't see the obvious 3:2 artifacts from the UB900, it looks good on the JVC.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17891 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I'm going to fire it up one more time to take a look at Netflix HDR content with the 8500, UB900 and Roku Ultra now that I have a specific HDR series i'm familiar with. I don't see the obvious 3:2 artifacts from the UB900, it looks good on the JVC.
I'm interested to hear what you think, there are cheap ones available on ebay.
AndreNewman is online now  
post #17892 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
You'd have to make your own custom EDID to test this out, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work anyways.
Most likely it wouldn't but I'd like to be surprised.

I'll most likely get a Vertex later this year so I'll try it if no-one else gets there first, it will probably be player specific like the SDR with REC2020 colour fudge.
AndreNewman is online now  
post #17893 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Am I better off buying $5000 PJ every year or a 20 000 every 4 years?

It's always in the last place you look.
cardoski is offline  
post #17894 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 05:54 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,957
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 4075
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Am I better off buying $5000 PJ every year or a 20 000 every 4 years?
A $30,000 one every 7 years !
cardoski likes this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #17895 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Member
 
khactuyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, California, 95112-6147
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Send a message via Yahoo to khactuyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Honestly I can't tell a difference in my setup. I know Javs thinks MadVR is a bit better than the Panasonic, but I think he said they're close. And lets be clear it's not just any old scaling on the PC, it's specifically madVR, which is a bit of a pain since it's not supported by every player.
Thanks, i'm using oppo 103 with RS4910, this time to upgrade hdplayer but do not know new hdplayer will improve PQ on RS4910 and how to choice oppo203/HTPC with GTX260?
Pana UD900 can play all format file.
khactuyen is offline  
post #17896 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,283
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 3844
The double dips keep coming in

Wonder Woman 3D and UHD steelbook arrived today. The 3D was excellent and enjoyed it throughout the entire film.



another 3D release with only 5.1 but was an easy fix to mux the ATMOS from the 2D BD -> 3D.





The $100 Zidoo X8 continues to be an excellent media player for 2D / 3D BD ISO / MKV
Tom Bley and Slonopot like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17897 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,957
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 4075
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The double dips keep coming in

Wonder Woman 3D and UHD steelbook arrived today. The 3D was excellent and enjoyed it throughout the entire film.



another 3D release with only 5.1 but was an easy fix to mux the ATMOS from the 2D BD -> 3D.





The $100 Zidoo X8 continues to be an excellent media player for 2D / 3D BD ISO / MKV
I'm falling behind on new 4K movies !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #17898 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,462
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The double dips keep coming in

Wonder Woman 3D and UHD steelbook arrived today. The 3D was excellent and enjoyed it throughout the entire film.
Our selection of movies has really been in sync lately with these recent great releases. Going to watch the UHD BD of Wonder Woman in a few minutes.
DavidHir is offline  
post #17899 of 17904 Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,957
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 4075
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The double dips keep coming in

Wonder Woman 3D and UHD steelbook arrived today. The 3D was excellent and enjoyed it throughout the entire film.



another 3D release with only 5.1 but was an easy fix to mux the ATMOS from the 2D BD -> 3D.





The $100 Zidoo X8 continues to be an excellent media player for 2D / 3D BD ISO / MKV
I'm falling behind on new 4K movies !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #17900 of 17904 Old 09-20-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it doesn't look like 24p with FI turned on, it's more natural appearing and I think it looks good with fast paced content like Marvel's Iron Fist. The Roku is also stuck at 60p, only the Samsung 8500 will run 24p with Netflix. I have one here still but dread turning it on. slow interface, terrible remote.
Thanks for the input, Zombie. I've been holding off getting an UHD player because I really wanted it to have Netflix built in. Now that I think about it, my LG tv has a Netflix app and it looks pretty good. It's probably 60p and no issues unless I put FI on in which case I hated it!

I was going to get the Sony UHD player because it was under 300 Canadian bucks on sale, but there seem to be a fair number of unhappy owners so I passed.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is offline  
post #17901 of 17904 Old 09-20-2017, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,283
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Thanks for the input, Zombie. I've been holding off getting an UHD player because I really wanted it to have Netflix built in. Now that I think about it, my LG tv has a Netflix app and it looks pretty good. It's probably 60p and no issues unless I put FI on in which case I hated it!

I was going to get the Sony UHD player because it was under 300 Canadian bucks on sale, but there seem to be a fair number of unhappy owners so I passed.

hi, yes i'm not a fan of FI on any of the projectors I have here, this definitely does not look like FI in any regard on the UB900 with Netflix content.

I'll be testing the Samsung 8500 (Netflix 24P), Roku (60P) to compare to the UB900 this weekend and will post some updates.
The Bogg, khactuyen and GregCh like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17902 of 17904 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
grendelrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Random question, since this is kinda the general thread for projectors. When I calibrate (HCFR) I always turn off all aids, iris, contrast enhancer, etc. A large number of the reviews on my projector (HW65ES) said they use contrast enhancer on low. So I figured maybe I will give it a shot, I noticed when I enable it , it drops my brightness down to the point where the black clipping video on the avs disc (I usually use this to set brightness) is no longer correct (I lose 17 and 18). So I guess my question is, if I want to use the contrast enhancer, should I calibrate with it on so the black clipping video is correct or should I calibrate like normal then enable it even though it obviously drops brightness to low on the clipping sample?
grendelrt is offline  
post #17903 of 17904 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,283
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked: 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Random question, since this is kinda the general thread for projectors. When I calibrate (HCFR) I always turn off all aids, iris, contrast enhancer, etc. A large number of the reviews on my projector (HW65ES) said they use contrast enhancer on low. So I figured maybe I will give it a shot, I noticed when I enable it , it drops my brightness down to the point where the black clipping video on the avs disc (I usually use this to set brightness) is no longer correct (I lose 17 and 18). So I guess my question is, if I want to use the contrast enhancer, should I calibrate with it on so the black clipping video is correct or should I calibrate like normal then enable it even though it obviously drops brightness to low on the clipping sample?
hi, i've calibrated several HW65's and always left off contrast enhance when calibrating. it's a dynamic software process and I think you'll find it will also throw off the gamma curve when measured. try measuring gamma with it off / on and post the results if you can.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17904 of 17904 Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
grendelrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
hi, i've calibrated several HW65's and always left off contrast enhance when calibrating. it's a dynamic software process and I think you'll find it will also throw off the gamma curve when measured. try measuring gamma with it off / on and post the results if you can.
So sounds like if you want to run a calibrated display, because of the dynamic nature of the feature you will not be able to calibrate with it on and if you turn it on afterwards you are going to throw off your calibration anyways. I will play with it next time I calibrate and just leave it off for now.
zombie10k likes this.
grendelrt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off