Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 601 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4439Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18001 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
For my 2.5 cents, watch the opening battle scene (which was also fun) and the final battle scene. You can skip EVERYTHING else!
I have another great movie recommendation for you. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. it's has wonderful acting. the story makes perfect sense. Luc Besson has struck gold again after Leon, Fifth Element and Lucy.

The Mummy is another can't miss...
zombie10k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18002 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Jason,
+1 on the Z30K. I just changed out the bulb and it's like having a new PJ. Sad that Sharp finally "got it right", about the same time that JVC/Sony upped their games (and lowered their costs). If Sharp was still in making projectors, they could utilize the new TI 4K chips. The results might have given LCOS a run for it's money...
FWIW, at the same time that I changed the Z30K bulb, I added an mCable "Ultra" (for $25) to the existing Darbee. The combined effect is worth checking out. The Z30K DLP is already tack "Sharp", the mCable added a slight contrast boost to high quality sources. We continue to enjoy it almost nightly.

Do you still utilize your Z30K(s) for anything other than 3D?
I use it all the time for regular TV since it has such fast start up and shut down. That's interesting on the mCable. Linus Tech did an analysis on it in the video below.

Where did you get it for $25?


zombie10k is offline  
post #18003 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have another great movie recommendation for you. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. it's has wonderful acting. the story makes perfect sense. Luc Besson has struck gold again after Leon, Fifth Element and Lucy.

The Mummy is another can't miss...


As long as they're entertaining, I don't need great acting, story, etc.... I didn't find King Arthur entertaining. It was just a dull, all over the place bad movie IMO. I watched the new Transformers right after and had a blast! Absolute bass fest cranked up to reference that was a lot of fun even in light of all the shortcomings in this series. I'm far from a movie snob. Your talking to one of the only guys who actually likes Frankensteins Army for crying out loud!
Toe is offline  
 
post #18004 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post


As long as they're entertaining, I don't need great acting, story, etc.... I didn't find King Arthur entertaining. It was just a dull, all over the place bad movie IMO. I watched the new Transformers right after and had a blast! Absolute bass fest cranked up to reference that was a lot of fun even in light of all the shortcomings in this series. I'm far from a movie snob. Your talking to one of the only guys who actually likes Frankensteins Army for crying out loud!
I was expecting a boring take on the story and found the film style, sound track and pacing interesting. I haven't seen his other movies but understand there is a similar format. Still check out the last scene on the JVC when you get it. The native on the JVC makes it great demo material vs the DLP.

Valerian was possibly the worst movie I've seen in the last 10 years. it's rare I would consider leaving a movie before it was over but this was close. terrible miscasting of the lead actors with high cringe factor in the dialogue. great special effects couldn't save this one in any regard.

Have you ever seen Dracula Untold? This was an unexpected surprise and enjoyed that movie.

hmm.. POTC 3D or Transformers 3D, I think you convinced me to go with the later tonight.

warming up those foundation shaking 18"'s. These subs are awesome..


Toe likes this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #18005 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I use it all the time for regular TV since it has such fast start up and shut down. That's interesting on the mCable. Linus Tech did an analysis on it in the video below.

Where did you get it for $25?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA
Thanks for the review. There are other reviews online. It seems to be particularly popular with gamers.

I got 3 of them from different sources about a month ago. The price ranges were $25 to $30 shipped.
At that time, it was widely available online in that range...
The market has changed. I just looked and the best price I could find was $60 (for the mCable ultra)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Marseille-mCa...-4k/1455151332

This is an older model that was widely distributed. The parent company, Marseille, is now selling only direct from their website. Their new "cinema" edition is about $160. From email conversations with their CS rep, the older "legacy" editions of the mCable are very similar to the newer model. They claim to have increased device compatibility and some other minor design changes.
The older models have worked for all the devices I have tried so far. I think there is a noticeable improvement. It especially "shines" (HT humor) on pristine sources.

There is a thread in the video processors forum. It's worth reading if you think you want to try it out:
MARSEILLE MCABLE (internal processor)
zombie10k likes this.

Last edited by humbland; 09-30-2017 at 10:00 AM.
humbland is offline  
post #18006 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I got 3 of them from different sources about a month ago. The price ranges were $25 to $30 shipped.
It was widely available in that range...
The market has changed. I just looked and the best price I could find was $60 (for the mCable ultra)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Marseille-mCa...-4k/1455151332

This is an older model that was widely distributed. The parent company, Marseille, is now selling only direct from their website. Their new "cinema" edition is about $160. From email conversations with their CS rep, the older "legacy" editions of the mCable are very similar to the newer model. They claim to have increased device compatibility and some other minor design changes.
The older models have worked for all the devices I have tried so far. I think there is a noticeable improvement. It especially "shines" (HT humor) on pristine sources.

There is a thread in the video processors forum. It's worth reading if you think you want to try it out:
MARSEILLE MCABLE (internal processor)

Thanks for the info, I'll pick one up for $50 to take a look at it. My original Darbee broke and I have a brand new spare in the box I cannot find. Literally tore my room apart looking for it, I know it's here and want to find it. I liked it with the Sharp 30K especially for 3D content.

i'll post some feedback once I get the cable and have a look.

https://www.amazon.com/Marseille-mCa...dp/B016KNIV8I/
zombie10k is offline  
post #18007 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I was expecting a boring take on the story and found the film style, sound track and pacing interesting. I haven't seen his other movies but understand there is a similar format. Still check out the last scene on the JVC when you get it. The native on the JVC makes it great demo material vs the DLP.

Valerian was possibly the worst movie I've seen in the last 10 years. it's rare I would consider leaving a movie before it was over but this was close. terrible miscasting of the lead actors with high cringe factor in the dialogue. great special effects couldn't save this one in any regard.

Have you ever seen Dracula Untold? This was an unexpected surprise and enjoyed that movie.

hmm.. POTC 3D or Transformers 3D, I think you convinced me to go with the later tonight.

warming up those foundation shaking 18"'s. These subs are awesome..


I just checked and looks like Dracula Untold is in my Netflix que, but I haven't rented it yet. Just threw it up top and thanks for the rec.

Haven't seen Valerian, but thanks for the warning!

Transformers will keep your subs/audio system busy that is for sure! It doesn't hit single digits, but it hits HARD down to about 20hz or so which is deep enough for me. It's an all out bass fest and I felt a bit beat up with LFE in a great way by the end. Curious to hear what you think of the 3d. I watched in 2d last night, but will take the 3d for a spin sometime soon.

Wish I had more HT time tonight as I just got the new David Gilmour Live at Pompeii concert blu!
zombie10k likes this.

Last edited by Toe; 09-30-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Toe is offline  
post #18008 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll pick one up for $50 to take a look at it. My original Darbee broke and I have a brand new spare in the box I cannot find. Literally tore my room apart looking for it, I know it's here and want to find it. I liked it with the Sharp 30K especially for 3D content.

i'll post some feedback once I get the cable and have a look.

https://www.amazon.com/Marseille-mCa...dp/B016KNIV8I/
Glad to help. Grateful for all of your assistance through the years...

+1 on the Darbee + Z30K combination. Great for 3D as well as for HD sports. Extremely Sharp (HT humor)
The Darbee and mCable do work together, however only when hooked up with the mCable at the end of the chain. See the main mCable thread for more details.
A couple of us did pretty extensive testing on the Darbee-->mCable combination, but only on 1080p displays.
When you get an mCable, please try it out on a 4K display and post back.
humbland is offline  
post #18009 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,133
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
There is an international steelbook including the 3D that has been available on ebay. general release is next week so it will be easier to get a hold of a copy. I'm going to watch it tonight despite the weak reviews. I read some comments that Johnny Depp is acting more like the Mad Hatter in this movie than Jack Sparrow.

hopefully the 3D looks good..
interesting, i'll wait up in that case of general release. look forward to your thoughts on pirates when get around to it

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #18010 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I just checked and looks like Dracula Untold is in my Netflix que, but I haven't rented it yet. Just threw it up top and thanks for the rec.

Haven't seen Valerian, but thanks for the warning!

Transformers will keep your subs/audio system busy that is for sure! It doesn't hit single digits, but it hits HARD down to about 20hz or so which is deep enough for me. It's an all out bass fest and I felt a bit beat up with LFE in a great way by the end. Curious to hear what you think of the 3d. I watched in 2d last night, but will take the 3d for a spin sometime soon.

Wish I had more HT time tonight as I just got the new David Gilmour Live at Pompeii concert blu!
Can’t wait let my JTRs loose on that one ! I appreciate crushing slam more than 10Hz.
Toe likes this.
farsider3000 is offline  
post #18011 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Transformers 3D - complete visual and aural Bayhem..

wow i'm not sure what to make of what just happened, a 2.5 hour sensory overload roller coaster. I hated it and loved it at the same time.

3D saved it for me and allowed me to press on to the end, great 3D throughout the movie.. markie mark's acting, not so much.

destruction for the sake of destruction with a story wedged somewhere in between.

Sound was awesome.. ground shaking LFE




I see why this made CIH setup's maddening to watch... I took my masks off ran full 16:9 and it was a fun presentation. the VA constantly changing wasn't really noticeable since our eyes are mainly focused in the center of the screen but could see it in peripheral vision 'opened up' into the near IMAX size scenes which there was a lot of, especially towards the end.

last 30 minutes was like being in a video game. The humans should have been killed 100 times over, the robots are more believable. fun movie, likely only a watch once and demo some scenes for sound and to demo some nice 3D.

so is this it? the ending made it seem like this would continue.
Toe and Javs like this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #18012 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
wow i'm not sure what to make of what just happened, a 2.5 hour sensory overload roller coaster. I hated it and loved it at the same time.

3D saved it for me and allowed me to press on to the end, great 3D throughout the movie.. markie mark's acting, not so much.

destruction for the sake of destruction with a story wedged somewhere in between.

Sound was awesome.. ground shaking LFE




I see why this made CIH setup's maddening to watch... I took my masks off ran full 16:9 and it was a fun presentation. the VA constantly changing wasn't really noticeable since our eyes are mainly focused in the center of the screen but could see it in peripheral vision 'opened up' into the near IMAX size scenes which there was a lot of, especially towards the end.

last 30 minutes was like being in a video game. The humans should have been killed 100 times over, the robots are more believable. fun movie, likely only a watch once and demo some scenes for sound and to demo some nice 3D.

so is this it? the ending made it seem like this would continue.
There is supposed to be a post credits scene. Did you view it? There are some online articles explaining it but I did not want to read as I have not watched my copy yet.... Maybe the next one will be called "The Last Knight's Offspring".

Datasat LS10__ Parasound Halo A31 , Parasound Zonemaster 1250, Parasound Zonemaster 450
Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5iw and P5v for surround & ceiling
JTR Captivator S2 dual 18", JTR Captivator S1 single 18", Dual Seaton Submersives with dual 15"
2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen, 128" diagonal / 118" wide __ Projector: JVC 4910
farsider3000 is offline  
post #18013 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
There is supposed to be a post credits scene. Did you view it? There are some online articles explaining it but I did not want to read as I have not watched my copy yet.... Maybe the next one will be called "The Last Knight's Offspring".
ahhh.. yes they did it pre-credits. Ok, makes sense now. some of the article state that Michael Bay will not be involved in the next series. he ran out of things to blow up.
zombie10k is offline  
post #18014 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,290
Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3438 Post(s)
Liked: 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
ahhh.. yes they did it pre-credits. Ok, makes sense now. some of the article state that Michael Bay will not be involved in the next series. he ran out of things to blow up.
I very much doubt that! I reckon at his funeral, his coffin will blow up. The man will be exploding things long after he is dead.
zombie10k likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 & Sony 320ES | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #18015 of 18254 Old 09-30-2017, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,550
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 333
The Netflix and Amazon prime uhd and HDR material are actually much better than I thought. Even YouTube look excellent. A lot of material. The nvidia shield does basically everything I need in a streaming device/pc
blee0120 is offline  
post #18016 of 18254 Old 10-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
The Netflix and Amazon prime uhd and HDR material are actually much better than I thought. Even YouTube look excellent. A lot of material. The nvidia shield does basically everything I need in a streaming device/pc


Agree. I stream downloaded trailers and 4k family movies from my NAS and watch 4k trailers on YouTube. PLEX works great. I am sending my Apple TV 4k back since it hangs when trying to play content from my NAS through plex and it has HDR issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Datasat LS10__ Parasound Halo A31 , Parasound Zonemaster 1250, Parasound Zonemaster 450
Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5iw and P5v for surround & ceiling
JTR Captivator S2 dual 18", JTR Captivator S1 single 18", Dual Seaton Submersives with dual 15"
2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen, 128" diagonal / 118" wide __ Projector: JVC 4910
farsider3000 is offline  
post #18017 of 18254 Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,550
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Agree. I stream downloaded trailers and 4k family movies from my NAS and watch 4k trailers on YouTube. PLEX works great. I am sending my Apple TV 4k back since it hangs when trying to play content from my NAS through plex and it has HDR issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The nvidia shield has been flawless so far for me. It's a power device. My uhd BD habit was getting kind of expensive, so with all of the HDR content available, it's going to save me a few bucks over the next couple of months. The PQ is great, didn't think it would surpass regular BD quality but it does. I was even able to stream my pc games in 4K with any lag, as well as my mkv rips.
blee0120 is offline  
post #18018 of 18254 Old 10-01-2017, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
The nvidia shield has been flawless so far for me. It's a power device. My uhd BD habit was getting kind of expensive, so with all of the HDR content available, it's going to save me a few bucks over the next couple of months. The PQ is great, didn't think it would surpass regular BD quality but it does. I was even able to stream my pc games in 4K with any lag, as well as my mkv rips.
Can it handle any 3D and YouTube HDR/WCG ? it's a good thing the 7200 has a bunch of inputs. I have the UB900, Dune 4K Solo, Zidoo X8, Ceton Echo (Windows media center) and now the Roku on occasion to check out YT HDR/WCG.
zombie10k is offline  
post #18019 of 18254 Old 10-01-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 4,550
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Can it handle any 3D and YouTube HDR/WCG ? it's a good thing the 7200 has a bunch of inputs. I have the UB900, Dune 4K Solo, Zidoo X8, Ceton Echo (Windows media center) and now the Roku on occasion to check out YT HDR/WCG.
It does not do mvc 3d. I hear there is a workaround. I played HDR YouTube but didn't check for WCG, but will do later tonight.
blee0120 is offline  
post #18020 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 179
AACS 2.0 finally broken and now we have a software to backup UHD blu-ray discs. Remains to be seen if this really works.

https://www.myce.com/news/russian-co...ken-try-82592/
http://deuhd.ru/index.html
BakeApples is offline  
post #18021 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,839
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
AACS 2.0 finally broken and now we have a software to backup UHD blu-ray discs. Remains to be seen if this really works.

https://www.myce.com/news/russian-co...ken-try-82592/
http://deuhd.ru/index.html
Interesting. This is good news if true, but personally I'll wait for someone braver than me to download and test it. Hopefully if it is valid, RedFox can integrate it into AnyDVD somehow.
Wookii is offline  
post #18022 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 22,553
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
AACS 2.0 finally broken and now we have a software to backup UHD blu-ray discs. Remains to be seen if this really works.

https://www.myce.com/news/russian-co...ken-try-82592/
http://deuhd.ru/index.html
Man, maybe the HTPC forum really is dead, there's no discussion of this there. Pretty bad when the projector forum beats them to the punch on this...
stanger89 is offline  
post #18023 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
thanks bakedapples for the info, this is the place for breaking news...

46TB NAS is anxiously awaiting this. The Zidoo X8 can play back UHD HDR content, hopefully we'll see more inexpensive media players with this capability.
zombie10k is offline  
post #18024 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 22,553
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks bakedapples for the info, this is the place for breaking news...
I'm not clicking either of those links at work, but I'll have to check them out. Maybe I'll have to put together a network-disconnected machine and give it a try.

Quote:
46TB NAS is anxiously awaiting this.
And I was hoping to get by a bit longer before I need to start the transition to 10TB drives in my unRAID box.

Quote:
The Zidoo X8 can play back UHD HDR content, hopefully we'll see more inexpensive media players with this capability.
Does the Zidoo version of Kodi handle UHD HDR? Or just their "native" player. If this is real, I'll probably be getting one. Unless I should get a Shield instead....
stanger89 is offline  
post #18025 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Does the Zidoo version of Kodi handle UHD HDR? Or just their "native" player. If this is real, I'll probably be getting one. Unless I should get a Shield instead....
I used the built in player and would have test to it with the Kodi app.

I forgot this player handles VP9 so it should play back the YT HDR/WCG content.

not sure if you saw this already, this fellow in the UK did a deep dive in this product

http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=2164.15

I'm sure we'll be hearing plenty about this soon enough.
zombie10k is offline  
post #18026 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks bakedapples for the info, this is the place for breaking news...

46TB NAS is anxiously awaiting this. The Zidoo X8 can play back UHD HDR content, hopefully we'll see more inexpensive media players with this capability.
Yeah, i have a brand new 5TB disc waiting to get stuffed with UHD backups. I use the Zappiti 4K HDR player myself which already does a good job with the early titles when i tried them.

The russian website says up to 30 titles are currently supported and weekly updates will follow. This sounds really promising.
farsider3000 likes this.

Sony VPL-VW550 | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zappiti One 4k HDR | PS4 | Audio Pro/Pioneer 5.1.4 Atmos | SVS SB-1000
BakeApples is offline  
post #18027 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
grendelrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks bakedapples for the info, this is the place for breaking news...

46TB NAS is anxiously awaiting this. The Zidoo X8 can play back UHD HDR content, hopefully we'll see more inexpensive media players with this capability.
Also hoping to to eventually pull the Atmos track of the uhd and add to a 3d blu ray that's doesn't have atmos. Pacific Rim, Dredd, etc where I prefer the 3d over uhd.
grendelrt is offline  
post #18028 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Projector Mini-Shootout Thread

Roku just announced new updated 4k streaming sticks/boxes. 4k UHD HDR (HDR 10) at 60fps. Passes DTS Digital... not sure about Atmos and DTS:X.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Datasat LS10__ Parasound Halo A31 , Parasound Zonemaster 1250, Parasound Zonemaster 450
Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5iw and P5v for surround & ceiling
JTR Captivator S2 dual 18", JTR Captivator S1 single 18", Dual Seaton Submersives with dual 15"
2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen, 128" diagonal / 118" wide __ Projector: JVC 4910

Last edited by farsider3000; 10-02-2017 at 10:16 AM.
farsider3000 is offline  
post #18029 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,433
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Also hoping to to eventually pull the Atmos track of the uhd and add to a 3d blu ray that's doesn't have atmos. Pacific Rim, Dredd, etc where I prefer the 3d over uhd.
I just picked up the recommended LG drive LG WH16NS60 and will give the demo a shot, I have a few of the supported titles.

http://www.frys.com/product/9240599


zombie10k is offline  
post #18030 of 18254 Old 10-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
grendelrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I just picked up the recommended LG drive LG WH16NS60 and will give the demo a shot, I have a few of the supported titles.

http://www.frys.com/product/9240599


I just bought a Pioneer drive last month, hoping it gets added haha
grendelrt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off