Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 606 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4410Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18151 of 18164 Old Today, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,405
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
cant wait !

ps zombie seems T2 got pulled ? I read the below,

"We have just been informed by the official supplier Universal Sony Pictures that Terminator 2 Bluray/3D/UHD has been delayed.

The eagerly anticipated Terminator 2 James Cameron remaster has been cancelled until further notice. This is a global decision and affects all releasing territories. Due to unresolved faults on the 2D Blu Ray disc, we have been advised that the release will need to be pulled until all faults are rectified. Studiocanal are waiting for their technical team to come back with a timeline to correct the faulty disc. Needless to say this decision wasn’t taken lightly and given high level of hands on involvement from James Cameron, we feel that anything less than a perfect viewing experience isn’t going to be good enough. We sincerely apologise for the late notice and are grateful for the support already received on this title. We will endeavour to reschedule once we have all issues resolved."

apparently early next year now
hi, I saw that announcement I wonder what happened.. we could skip the 2D BD if the 3D BD and UHD are ok...

I have several of the arm kits + 3D Steelbook and a regular 3D on order, i'll gladly wait until they have it sorted out. I saw it in 3D in August and thought they did a great job on the conversion. He will be back...

Apollo 13 UHD arrives today, looking forward to seeing this tonight.
zombie10k is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18152 of 18164 Old Today, 07:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've read about more displays having problems with incorrect YCbCr color decoding than with RGB. Just this weekend an LG OLED owner reported that the only way for him to get perfectly banding free grayscale test patterns is by using dithered 8bit RGB output with madVR. He says any kind of YCbCr source, or even using the internal LG media player results in visible banding. In the end what does it matter whether the video is transported as YCbCr or RGB to the display? The only thing that counts is final image quality.
Exactly, final image quality is all, it is what we all sit down to watch and should be of good enough quality to not have us constantly reaching for the controls to try this or that in the vain hope of rectifying a bad image.

Even though they seem to work very well by all accounts, one should not need to shell out any extra money on any sort of outboard VPU (good ones running to 000's) to bring the quality up to snuff on any device let alone ones that can cost as much as a new car. Just shouldn't be necessary.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #18153 of 18164 Old Today, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,405
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Exactly, final image quality is all, it is what we all sit down to watch and should be of good enough quality to not have us constantly reaching for the controls to try this or that in the vain hope of rectifying a bad image.

Even though they seem to work very well by all accounts, one should not need to shell out any extra money on any sort of outboard VPU (good ones running to 000's) to bring the quality up to snuff on any device let alone ones that can cost as much as a new car. Just shouldn't be necessary.

The 4K/60 HDR issues you and others on the german forums have been experiencing will likely be resolved in a year or 2 once the next series is released and they go full 18GB like they did for the 760/885.

I can't reproduce any of the banding examples on my 2015-2016 era JVC RS600. 4K60 4:2:2 12 bit works well with 60hz HDR content.

zombie10k is online now  
 
post #18154 of 18164 Old Today, 09:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The 4K/60 HDR issues you and others on the german forums have been experiencing will likely be resolved in a year or 2 once the next series is released and they go full 18GB like they did for the 760/885.

I can't reproduce any of the banding examples on my 2015-2016 era JVC RS600. 4K60 4:2:2 12 bit works well with 60hz HDR content.

Okay no need to rub it in!

I fully see the machines revealed at IFA next year, as all having 18Gbps HDMI where necessary, as it will filter down from the 760/885.

Easily two years on the late side if you ask me.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #18155 of 18164 Old Today, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,405
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Okay no need to rub it in!

I fully see the machines revealed at IFA next year, as all having 18Gbps HDMI where necessary, as it will filter down from the 760/885.

Easily two years on the late side if you ask me.

I've had several 4K Sony projectors here, the VW500/600, VW665 and the VW1100 which I had for almost 3 years. The lens on the VW1100 was excellent, it's unfortunate they couldn't re-use this for the 25K 760/885. It gets the same lens as the 5K VW285.

2 years seems like a reasonable time for some of the current issues to get resolve. I have a 5 year warranty that expires in 2020, perfect timing for next gen projector upgrades.

zombie10k is online now  
post #18156 of 18164 Old Today, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 2,389
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Dunkirk was pulled from my best buy pre-order yesterday? Any idea why?

Completely off topic - do any of you use a movie collection database, and if so, which one? I am having troubles keeping up with which BD, 4K or 3D movie I own or have pre-ordered

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is online now  
post #18157 of 18164 Old Today, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I've had several 4K Sony projectors here, the VW500/600, VW665 and the VW1100 which I had for almost 3 years. The lens on the VW1100 was excellent, it's unfortunate they couldn't re-use this for the 25K 760/885. It gets the same lens as the 5K VW285.

2 years seems like a reasonable time for some of the current issues to get resolve. I have a 5 year warranty that expires in 2020, perfect timing for next gen projector upgrades.
Would it really have been that hard to include 18Gbps HDMI inputs a year or more ago? They were already included on devices that were a fraction of the cost of these.
I can only guess that their product roadmap did not allow for any variation due to market demand/need and was set in stone and the progression speed set by the bean counters.
We will never know of course, but out there somewhere IS a person (or persons) who know why that decision was made and I for one have a few questions for them.

Last edited by Archibald1; Today at 10:59 AM. Reason: remove photo link
Archibald1 is offline  
post #18158 of 18164 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,574
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Would it really have been that hard to include 18Gbps HDMI inputs a year or more ago? They were already included on devices that were a fraction of the cost of these.
I can only guess that their product roadmap did not allow for any variation due to market demand/need and was set in stone and the progression speed set by the bean counters.
We will never know of course, but out there somewhere IS a person (or persons) who know why that decision was made and I for one have a few questions for them.

Well now you are just borrowing my product roadmap excuse I posted in the Sony thread the other day
Frohlich is online now  
post #18159 of 18164 Old Today, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Well now you are just borrowing my product roadmap excuse I posted in the Sony thread the other day
Although I haven't read said post by yourself, there is more than a crumb of truth in the supposition I would say!
Archibald1 is offline  
post #18160 of 18164 Old Today, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,405
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Dunkirk was pulled from my best buy pre-order yesterday? Any idea why?

Completely off topic - do any of you use a movie collection database, and if so, which one? I am having troubles keeping up with which BD, 4K or 3D movie I own or have pre-ordered

My pre-order is still ok but it does look like they removed it from the site. I wonder if they released it too soon, I don't see it avail anywhere else.

my movie collection database is located in the BestBuy or Amazon purchase history..
HTPCat likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #18161 of 18164 Old Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,743
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
My pre-order is still ok but it does look like they removed it from the site. I wonder if they released it too soon, I don't see it avail anywhere else.

my movie collection database is located in the BestBuy or Amazon purchase history..
You can even download your Amazon order history as a spreadsheet...

Home Theater: Sony 385ES, Denon AVR-S920W, NHT Super Ones/Zeroes w/Ten Sub,
Sony BDP-S6500, Sony UBP-X800, and Monoprice 130 inch 2.35:1 White Material Screen
Living room: Sony 60NX720, VIZIO SB4051-C0 Other: Samsung 51F8500
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #18162 of 18164 Old Today, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,645
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
You can even download your Amazon order history as a spreadsheet...
Where are they hiding that capability?
VideoGrabber is online now  
post #18163 of 18164 Old Today, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 136



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Datasat LS10__ Parasound Halo A31 , Parasound Zonemaster 1250, Parasound Zonemaster 450
Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5iw and P5v for surround & ceiling
JTR Captivator S2 dual 18", JTR Captivator S1 single 18", Dual Seaton Submersives with dual 15"
2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent (AT) screen, 128" diagonal / 118" wide __ Projector: JVC 4910
farsider3000 is online now  
post #18164 of 18164 Old Today, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,203
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post

Apollo 13 was excellent, all the scenes in space were a treat. Never looked better.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 & Sony 320ES | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off