6500 UB Hand Shake Issues / Worked Now Doesn't Work ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running the Epson 6500UB thru HDMI cables thru a Marantz SR4200 AV, conected to a comcast HD cable box , a Samsung BD-D6700 Bluray & lighting . All worked fine with no issues except is was slow to load some bluRay discs. My Marantz shorted out & I replaced it with a Denon AVR-1913 . For some reason my 6500 will no longer play video only audio audio through the bluray player or any other model BluRay player. If I run all systems thru a TV monitor it all works fine. I have called Epson and all they can provide is to take it to a service center. It has been out of warrenty for 5 Months. I purchased it new in 2009 it went out 2 Months later. Epson replaced it with a refurbished unit. Howerver it worked fine for over a year & a half.. Can anyone lead me in the right direction, I am not a AV tec so my skills are limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do the menus inside the projector work?

If the menus work then determine if the cable is good. Switch cable to projector, drag source to projector and try a shorter one but limit system to a known good source and a good cable.

If that does not work try using component instead of HDMI. Did you mistakenly select an input different than the one the have the cable connected to? It happens.

This will get you started.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean by the menus. I have not tried a shorter HDMI. I did try component wiring. What I left out is I can get the system to turn on the video if I push video , then HDMI on the Epson remote. Some times it works the first time, sometimes I need to do it a few times, but eventially it comes on. I have also tried to run a bluRay directly thru the Epson , same result, however I have not tried it with a shorter direct HDMI line from the BluRay. I will give it a try.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

My menu question was merely to establish if the projector was functional. Sounds like it is and the cable is good.

So press the menu button, and make sure the input is set to the same input connector that the HDMI cable is attached to. I suspect that you have it set some other way or on auto. Just a suspicion. Since you are using the receiver to do the source selection, just force the input selection.

The turn on sequence of HDMI components can make a difference. Here is how the fine folks at OPPO Digital describe it:

"In general, HDMI works best during power up if you turn things on in the reverse order of the HDMI chain -- that is, display first, then AVR, then source device (the player in this case). This is simply because HDMI is an end to end protocol driven by the source device, and so if everything down stream of it has had a chance to wake up, have some coffee, read the paper, and change the cat there are fewer things standing in the way."

If you are doing the turn-on with individual remotes, do it in this sequence. If you are programming a remote like a Harmony do it in this sequence.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I took your suggestion and moved the bluray up to the projector and conceted it with a different HDMI. It worked so I assume it ithe HDMI currently going to the projector. However I am not sure if I can get the old one out , it is 35' thru the walls ceiling and will not budge. At least i know a soultion. Do you have any idea why the concast box works but not a Bluray player ?
Thanks for the info
post #6 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Connect the player via a temporarily run cable to the projector to the SAME input on the projector as COMCAST. Does it work? If it does not, then my only thought is that maybe the BluRay player's out put is not matching what the projector expects. What resolution if the COMCAST box sending out? What resolution setting do you have in the projector? Don't rush to pull the existing long cable out of the wall until there is a firm handle on exactly what the problem is.

BTW, there is a 6500 owners thread here somewhere. You might find more facile assistance there.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099301/official-epson-6500ub-owners-thread

post #7 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

The system works using another HDMI cable. I believe I can get to the projector around the wall and over thru the ceiling, The total distance will be 34'. However I have discovered there is component wiring installed for future expansion that can be utilized that runs along the path of the current HDMI. The ends consist of 2 red , 1 white, 1 green , & 1 blue. Will this give me service to 1080P if I install the component wiring to the projector to the Denon AV system. If yes which colors need to be connected between the projector & Denon AV system ?
post #8 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

I am guessing that the 4th and 5th wire were intended to be left and right stereo audio. Leaving the other three for component. The colors are irrelevant save for helping ensure that plugging them up is the same on each end (source and destination). [This merely means that the RCA component output on the source (let's say red) go to the matching input on the projector). Someone else will chime in on distance limitations for component and I suspect all cables are not created equal. How well we know.

Whoever pulled the original cables was trying. But it is a touch dated now. Why not just plug them in and see.

Distance is likely the culprit on the existing HDMI cable. Thirty five feet is getting into the iffy zone. Sometimes the projector will limit the component inputs to 720p. A design issue outside end user control.

Don't ignore the option to place components near the projector. Placing them near the screen is a leftover from audio days IMHO. The video settings are usually displayed on the screen and the audio is usually only volume once you set up the playback from disk. If you use the system for other things, this may not be ideal. I like a rack right by my chair, no remotes, but it is not esthetically acceptable sometimes.

Glad you have it working even if it is not to your complete satisfaction. There are wireless and Cat 6 options for carrying HDMI. And signal boosters as well. I have no hands-on experience with them. A source may also not playback at the rated resolution using component. This is driven by content providers and their desire to limit full bandwidth copying.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6500ub Home Theater Projector , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page