1st PJ on the way! (RS46) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just pulled the trigger on my first ever projector: JVC D-LA RS46

I hesitated a lot between an EPSON 8350, 8500UB, 5020 and RS46. I decided to get the JVC because I love the inky blacks and sharpness. Also, I had a 10% off special on pre-order, which basically pays for 75% of the 120" Grandview Screen. Good decision?

Christmas will be a couple weeks earlier this year smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

HT Setup

PSN: le_gros_thon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post

Just pulled the trigger on my first ever projector: JVC D-LA RS46

I decided to get the JVC because I love the inky blacks and sharpness.

So you've spent some time with the JVC's?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 587
On the way? If you just ordered it, hope for a delivery by Xmass. That's not a negative comment by any means just normal new model from JVC delivery times untilk the pipeline gets full. Certainly worth waiting for. Enjoy.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

So you've spent some time with the JVC's?

Yes, my friend has the RS45 and it looks pretty darn good.

HT Setup

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

On the way? If you just ordered it, hope for a delivery by Xmass. That's not a negative comment by any means just normal new model from JVC delivery times untilk the pipeline gets full. Certainly worth waiting for. Enjoy.

JVC told us we should get it late november. We'll see.

HT Setup

Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, my friend has the RS45 and it looks pretty darn good.

Cool, they are great projectors. I wouldn't call them "sharp" per say compared to some others on the market, but they can be if you luck out and grab one with good convergence.
I'd plan on getting it around mid Dec if you're lucky. I'm on the boat for the 4810, so I feel the waiting game pain, lol.

Achievement Unlocked

Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Achievement Unlocked

Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cool, they are great projectors. I wouldn't call them "sharp" per say compared to some others on the market, but they can be if you luck out and grab one with good convergence.
I'd plan on getting it around mid Dec if you're lucky. I'm on the boat for the 4810, so I feel the waiting game pain, lol.

Awesome! What kind of experience have you with JVCs?
Quote:

That would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That is not necessarly a bad thing since november is deer hunting season and I'll spend more time in the three stand than in the basment wink.gif

HT Setup

Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:

I think you will find that JVC will ship a few on November 30. That's been their modus operendi for many years. If you ordered now, you would be lucky to get one of those. The pipeline will fill quickly after that. They pretty much say the same thing every year and pretty much this has been the case. Good things are worth waiting for a bit and 30 days or so makes little difference with respect to getting a new projector.But my best advice is don't plan on getting yours early December. History has proven to be very reliable here.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm waiting for my X35 (RS46) to arrive in the UK, but I'm under no illusions having seen previous years with, in some cases, Christmas coming and going before many buyers received their new models. I'm hoping it'll be here in about a month as my dealer suggested it might, but time will tell. While I'm itching to see what it's like, I still have an older HD350(RS10) to use in the meantime, plus I've recently upgraded my calibration equipment so I will have the 125 point CMS to play with in the next 2-3 days as well, so not like I've got nothing to watch while I wait...I just hope it's not too long.

On the bright side, during the wait I might get round to some room improvements which will maximise any improvements in contrast of the newer model, if it arrives too soon I might not get on with the building work. rolleyes.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome! What kind of experience have you with JVCs?
That is not necessarly a bad thing since november is deer hunting season and I'll spend more time in the three stand than in the basment wink.gif

LOL.

I have had a 1, 10, and 20. I'm regretting selling my 20 as it had great convergence and uniformity. I'm hoping I luck out and don't get a worse unit.

Achievement Unlocked

Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm also curious to know if a 1.0 gain will be enough for 120"? The throw distance should be around 12'.

HT Setup

Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

What options offer better sharpness?

It seems with so many complaints about JVC 3D, lamp issues, and better options for sharpness I'm confused why so many people still opt to purchase them?
I for one love my HD250 and will be replacing it in the next month or two so I'm debating what route to go.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm also curious to know if a 1.0 gain will be enough for 120"? The throw distance should be around 12'.

16:9 or 2:35?

That is a pretty short throw so I would venture that either would suffice, but it will be underpowered in 3d. I was firing from 18-1/2' with an A lens onto a 1.0 gain 100" 16:9 screen and the image was acceptable but I wouldn't have minded a little more lumens especially as the bulb aged.

The further back you can mount it the better contrast you'll realize, albeit at expense of brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

It seems with so many complaints about JVC 3D, lamp issues, and better options for sharpness I'm confused why so many people still opt to purchase them?
I for one love my HD250 and will be replacing it in the next month or two so I'm debating what route to go.

We are gluttons for punishment. biggrin.gif

Seriously though; the JVC are IMO one of the best projectors for me based on my scenario. I'm not really a fan of 3d (good, bad, or otherwise), so poor 3d performance wasn't a concern. My wife was sensitive to RBE so that ruled out the DLP's. I hated the "digital" image of LCD so......................

The market is pretty competitive nowadays and I think most people would be happy with just about any of the current crop of projectors. In fact, I'd be willing to bet this 4810 is far from a night/day difference from my 20, even though it's 3+ generations newer.

A perfectly converged JVC is plenty sharp. The RS60, not withstanding it's other shortcomings was one of the sharpest projectors to date. Problem is; the quality control varied greatly on convergence. Nothing is going to trump a single chip DLP on average.

Achievement Unlocked

Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

16:9 or 2:35?
That is a pretty short throw so I would venture that either would suffice, but it will be underpowered in 3d. I was firing from 18-1/2' with an A lens onto a 1.0 gain 100" 16:9 screen and the image was acceptable but I wouldn't have minded a little more lumens especially as the bulb aged.
The further back you can mount it the better contrast you'll realize, albeit at expense of brightness.

I'm looking at a 16:9 since I'll use it a lot for TV and gaming. My viewing distance is 12' and I have the choice between a 110" and a 120". I have dark walls and good lighting control. I don't care at all for 3D since I'm not a fan.

HT Setup

Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm looking at a 16:9 since I'll use it a lot for TV and gaming. My viewing distance is 12' and I have the choice between a 110" and a 120". I have dark walls and good lighting control. I don't care at all for 3D since I'm not a fan.

Based on the new speculation of increased brightness I think you'll be just fine. Any reason you're limiting yourself to 1.0? Are you running an AT screen?

Achievement Unlocked

Old 10-25-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Based on the new speculation of increased brightness I think you'll be just fine. Any reason you're limiting yourself to 1.0? Are you running an AT screen?

I'm just trying to keep the cost down and my best deals are with 1.0 gain. Would you pay 100$ more for 1.4 gain?

HT Setup

Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

For a 3 chip projector they are very sharp. Some DLPs in this projector's price range, and pretty much anyone above this range, will look sharper overall. Where the DLPs lack (on/off contrast, placement flexibility, and noise) the JVCs destroy in those areas. For the price you get very good picture quality which is why most people live with the few negative things the JVCs do.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just trying to keep the cost down and my best deals are with 1.0 gain. Would you pay 100$ more for 1.4 gain?

Only you can answer that questions, but 100 is a small price to pay for long term viewing enjoyment. If you do get into 3d, you will be much happier with the higher gain screen; not to mention if JVC still suffers premature bulb dimming you can limp along longer before bulb replacement. It will also allow you to clamp down the iris a bit more wringing as much CR out of your setup as possible.

Achievement Unlocked

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I run a RS45 from 13' feet on to a 120" screen 1.3 gain. It will be plenty bright for 2D viewing. Even with the aperture clamped all the way down (-15) you'll squint from the brightness. I still squint sometimes with 200 plus hours on mine in this configuration. Like you, I could care less about 3D. Enjoy your new projector!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

I run a RS45 from 13' feet on to a 120" screen 1.3 gain. It will be plenty bright for 2D viewing. Even with the aperture clamped all the way down (-15) you'll squint from the brightness. I still squint sometimes with 200 plus hours on mine in this configuration. Like you, I could care less about 3D. Enjoy your new projector!

Give it another couple hundred hours and then let us know. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Give it another couple hundred hours and then let us know. biggrin.gif

I hear ya...as long as the bulb doesn't dim prematurely it should be just fine. I had the SP8602 before the RS45, which was super bright. I'd say it was too bright for my setup..very painful watching those commercials with white backgrounds.smile.gif My other projector a Benq does over 2000 lumens. Unless you're trying to burn out your retinas or watch 3D, this kind of brightness is not needed. The RS45 is brighter than the RS20 or the RS60 by quite a bit.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you think a 1.2 gain on 120" would do as well?

HT Setup

Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you think a 1.2 gain on 120" would do as well?

Yes you'll be fine. Your projector should be slightly brighter than mine from early reports. You'll have no problems lighting up a screen of that size.
Did you know the Monoprice.com screens are basically Grandview?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10829

Oh and by the way, I can comfortable watch my unit with several lights on in the room at its current settings and position.
That should give you an idea of how bright the image on the screen is. Being that your unit is so close to the screen, brightness is the last thing to worry about! lol
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes you'll be fine. Your projector should be slightly brighter than mine from early reports. You'll have no problems lighting up a screen of that size.
Did you know the Monoprice.com screens are basically Grandview?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10829
Oh and by the way, I can comfortable watch my unit with several lights on in the room at its current settings and position.
That should give you an idea of how bright the image on the screen is. Being that your unit is so close to the screen, brightness is the last thing to worry about! lol

Thanks a lot for your input!

I think I'll go for a Elunevision 120" 1.2 mate white. I can't wait!

HT Setup

Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I'm thinking of a 128" with a TD of about 15'6". Would the same 1.2gain be ok? Or should I go with a 1.4 silver screen?

HT Setup

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

For a 3 chip projector they are very sharp. Some DLPs in this projector's price range, and pretty much anyone above this range, will look sharper overall. Where the DLPs lack (on/off contrast, placement flexibility, and noise) the JVCs destroy in those areas. For the price you get very good picture quality which is why most people live with the few negative things the JVCs do.

Can the convergence be adjusted on an RS46 by a JVC rep or tech? What about on a higher model, if it is a concern? I pre-ordered my RS46 with Mike and am very excited and hope to get it before my family visits for Christmas, but if I need to have it converged I need to plan ahead smile.gif
Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post

Can the convergence be adjusted on an RS46 by a JVC rep or tech? What about on a higher model, if it is a concern? I pre-ordered my RS46 with Mike and am very excited and hope to get it before my family visits for Christmas, but if I need to have it converged I need to plan ahead smile.gif

Hi, the RS46 will have 1 pixel increment convergence controls build into the projector. You can adjust this yourself (if needed) once you receive the projector. There are test patterns built into the projector that will assist with making these adjustments.
Gig103 likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Hi, the RS46 will have 1 pixel increment convergence controls build into the projector. You can adjust this yourself (if needed) once you receive the projector. There are test patterns built into the projector that will assist with making these adjustments.

Thanks for that info!

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector