JVC not standing behind failed 650 hour bulb for DLA X3 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Condorodis View Post

I'd like to share my JVC X3 experience... I purchased my projector just over a year ago and the 1st bulb exploded at ~ 2 months and 180 hours of use. JVC replaced it without issue. Now the bulb has 400 hours on it but is about one year old and it looks like crap. I tried to get a replacement given low hours but no luck. They told me to buy this - PK-L2210UG. But I just received my shipping info and they sent me a PK-L2210UP. Will this be the redesigned bulb you're talking about? How do I tell?
Thanks, CJ

The latest iteration of the lamp (Version 003) will have a little metal flap on it to redirect airflow...that is the latest and supposedly greatest lamp version.

...Glenn smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
CJ. Why don't you just delete the repeated posts by you?

It is also ;possible that your projector has something wrong inside that is causing the bulb failures. While it is still under warranty, I would send it into service with the 400 hour bulb. JVC will likely give you a new bulb especially if they find something wrong. You could keep the bulb you just purchased as a spare or sell it if this happens.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an X3 and it is approx a year and a half old. The first lamp failed at about 510 hours and my current lamp started fading several weeks ago. I sent a message to my dealer (who does a great job) about ordering another bulb as a back up. The bulb still isn't here and now at 580 hours it is completely failed and dark. I can't say I'm very happy about already going on bulb 3 in less than 2 years. Especially since this was a question I asked prior to purchasing the projector. The problem we had was the room is wider than it is deep so the throw isn't very far.

However, we absolutely love watching movies and sports in there. When the bulb is new it is an amazing picture.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM

Hrm ok so here I was thinking I ran into a poor specimen lamp, which just failed to come on after doing about 560 hours. Bought the X3 somewhere around October 2011 if I recall correctly, it was sold as a demo but with a new lamp in it. We're using it for occasional films and PS3/Xbox gaming. I noticed the other day that the image seemed rather dark and lacking punch, and last time we played PS3 we actually agreed we had to swap to 3D mode in order to get some kind of an acceptable image. That was the last time it was used and this morning it wouldn't fire up at all, red/orange single blink/red lights greeted us instead frown.gif

Seeing as the PJ is about 1.5 years old I guess there's no lamp warranty or such remaining, still I'm very disappointed with this - in my opinion - premature lamp failure. Haven't had this problem with any of our other projectors (Sony, Sim2, Sanyo). Surely the image degrades, but it degrades slowly and not like this time it suddenly seemed to drop and lose a huge amount of brightness.

Anyway, have emailed the retailer I purchased the pj from and asked about policy/what they can offer me. After reading this thread it seems I should make sure I get the revision 3 lamp at least? Any suggestions where to pick these up at a decent price and so I'm sure it's version 3 I'm getting? I'm located in Sweden but used to purchasing abroad. Just don't want to risk having to return an item as Swedish mail is crazy expensive :/

Cheers
//Joris
Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
As I have mentioned elsewhere. There are TWO versions of the 003 bulb. One with the additional cooling fin and one without. Make sure you validate any bulb purchase does indeed have the extra cooling fin.

http://mynikonphotos.com/projector1/jvc_lamp.jpg

Note: I kept the URL of the picture but cannot recall the original contributor of this picture. Apologies but thank you for such a clear image!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:42 AM

Does the fin really work? It's not even a heatsink......sorry for those guys suffering with this crap lamps issue...
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

As I have mentioned elsewhere. There are TWO versions of the 003 bulb. One with the additional cooling fin and one without. Make sure you validate any bulb purchase does indeed have the extra cooling fin.

http://mynikonphotos.com/projector1/jvc_lamp.jpg

Note: I kept the URL of the picture but cannot recall the original contributor of this picture. Apologies but thank you for such a clear image!

Who else posts pictures this good? cool.gif

The 003 lamp has been out for 14 months, not sure when the flapper went into place. This forum was on fire when folks were having lamp issues with the first rev JVC lamps. There is little conversation about it. I know that doesn't mean anything, but when something is wrong, the forum becomes a pit stop for complaints.

Definitely check with the dealer to make sure it's not old stock. The last 003 I bought has the flapper.

edit: the flapper is not supposed to be a heatsink. The idea is that it moves air area to break up hot-spots within the lamp. JVC increased the size of the inlet on new models and also the squirrel cage fan is larger and louder. This all points to airflow.

JVC_LAMP5.jpg

JVC_LAMP4.jpg
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM

After reading this I thought it would be important to post my recent (today) experience with JVC on this topic. I have a JVC DLA X7 that I bought new two years ago. Last week it started getting dim and within 2 days it went completely out. The bulb has 641 hours on it (original bulb). I called JVC and was told this by the support rep.

1. There are no known bulb issues with JVC DLA projectors.
2. They have not modified the bulb design to fix the problem (very different than what is described earlier in this post).

I asked if they did anything to assist when a bulb lasts 641 hours vs their claim of 3000 hours and was told no. I was told that the 3000 hours was what they expect but don't guarantee.

I have dealt with many companies and their support systems and JVC just dropped to the bottom of companies interested in customer satisfaction. They are making ridiculous marketing claims in order to sell products and not supporting them when customers have issues.

I am also very concerned with being told that this is not a known issue. It is pretty easy to read the forum and see I am not the first to run into this.

Very disappointed in JVC.......
Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Condorodis View Post

I'd like to share my JVC X3 experience... I purchased my projector just over a year ago and the 1st bulb exploded at ~ 2 months and 180 hours of use. JVC replaced it without issue. Now the bulb has 400 hours on it but is about one year old and it looks like crap. I tried to get a replacement given low hours but no luck. They told me to buy this - PK-L2210UG. But I just received my shipping info and they sent me a PK-L2210UP. Will this be the redesigned bulb you're talking about? How do I tell?
Thanks, CJ

Both lamps are the same. Just like the RS46 is an X35, sold under a different division. smile.gif

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My RS40 is currently listed here in the classifieds. January 2014 will be 3 years and current lamp #5 at 1900+ hours. Lately having to use more 3d mode to get brighter picture. Debating paying $400 for lamp or replacing the pj. I use daily as main tv with at least 4 hours of daily use. I am so disgusted w lamp price and previous issues with this pj's lamp that not sure I want to continue buying lamps based on my use. I am considering 3 Sony pj and a couple of Epson ones.

Other than lamp issue, the pj performs flawless and when lamp is working bright in 2d, the image can't be beat.

Ian B
Old 12-06-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Sometimes they are forced to say those things because the lawyers advise the managers above them to train them not to admit fault based on the exposure of class action lawsuits. They are no different than every other company, I'm not sure what other projector companies you've talked to, but I don't find any of them really admitting much or knowing that much unless you get to their engineering departments. Epson once admitted some things supposedly, but I never heard them admit anything myself.

You don't need to pay $400 for a lamp necessarily, though I suppose Ebay is always more risky.

The v3 lamps don't have many reported issues, I don't think.

I use a DLP for TV, no reason to put that many hours on a JVC. I have 4500 hours on my Benq w7000 lamp (which is rated at 2000/2500 I believe), so just goes to show you how much ratings mean. This lamp is still very bright at 4500 hours.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks
OLD --- Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....
Old 01-26-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a three-year-old RS 40, my third jVC replacement bulb just burned out with just over 650 hours. I just installed a new bulb only replacement from eBay. The fit was fine but, the filament had a slightly different design,and the reflector dusty. After careful cleaning and install the bulb seems to be working fine with three hours on it I let you know how it goes.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post

I have a three-year-old RS 40, my third jVC replacement bulb just burned out with just over 650 hours. I just installed a new bulb only replacement from eBay. The fit was fine but, the filament had a slightly different design,and the reflector dusty. After careful cleaning and install the bulb seems to be working fine with three hours on it I let you know how it goes.

I would suggest posting the bulb part number for those interested in replacing the bulb only within the original housing. I did this before with my Planar and had great success at a much lower cost.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
FS SMX Scope Screen for $700 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...een-700-a.html
FS ISCO III (sold pending payment) http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...hht-stand.html
Old 01-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The bulb had no numbers. It was from Hong Kong through eBay. I should've at least taken a photo. I'll let you know the seller if that's of interest.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
The bulb had no numbers. It was from Hong Kong through eBay. I should've at least taken a photo. I'll let you know the seller if that's of interest.
My dla-x30 has prematurely failed 3 lamps.

1st was not version 3, no metal flap. Started flickering in low lamp mode after about 500h.
Got a replacement v3 by my seller.

2nd (replacement) lasted 600h then started flickering, jvc did not replace it. Ran it in high lamp mode to remove flicker for another 400, then it started flickering there to.

3rd lamp bought, v3. Flicker in Low lamp again after 600h, jvc did not replace. Ran in high lamp another 800h and now flickering there too. Asked them to check pj but no, out of warranty time and they never proposed it at first 2 lamps so I guess they are aware scans it's a known issue that the design of pj is poor and no service in the world would help without redesign, but they would never admit that would they =) .

So 3/3 flicker after about 600h.
No problem with lamps heh jvc?

Next lamp for sure will be bare lamp eBay/amazon type. No way I out another 350€ in jvc's pockets.
Will try one Philips and one osram to see if it's manufacturer related or simply bad design from jvc.
Knowing that they supposedly solved premature lamps on x35 I'm definitely leaning towards jvc design being the issue here

do I dare trying a x35 bulb in the x30?

Any clue?
Boogie

Last edited by [Europe]Boogiem; 04-21-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Europe]Boogiem View Post
My dla-x30 has prematurely failed 3 lamps.

1st was not version 3, no metal flap. Started flickering in low lamp mode after about 500h.
Got a replacement v3 by my seller.

2nd (replacement) lasted 600h then started flickering, jvc did not replace it. Ran it in high lamp mode to remove flicker for another 400, then it started flickering there to.

3rd lamp bought, v3. Flicker in Low lamp again after 600h, jvc did not replace. Ran in high lamp another 800h and now flickering there too. Asked them to check pj but no, out of warranty time and they never proposed it at first 2 lamps so I guess they are aware scans it's a known issue that the design of pj is poor and no service in the world would help without redesign, but they would never admit that would they =) .

So 3/3 flicker after about 600h.
No problem with lamps heh jvc?

Next lamp for sure will be bare lamp eBay/amazon type. No way I out another 350€ in jvc's pockets.
Will try one Philips and one osram to see if it's manufacturer related or simply bad design from jvc.
Knowing that they supposedly solved premature lamps on x35 I'm definitely leaning towards jvc design being the issue here

Any clue?
Boogie
Often times the flicker is the electrodes on the lamp developing flat spots and the arc jumps from one spot to another. You run it in high lamp for several hours and then go back to low lamp, not jus tswitch to high and leave it. Now that you have 1,000 hours on your lamp, I do not know if it is bright enough in low for you. Put the lamp back in low (normal) and run for several hours. Then go back to high and see if the flicker is gone. If the problem is what I am guessing it is, then it is not a JVC problem, because I have seen this happen from time to time with lamp based projectors, no matter the brand.

mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Often times the flicker is the electrodes on the lamp developing flat spots and the arc jumps from one spot to another. You run it in high lamp for several hours and then go back to low lamp, not jus tswitch to high and leave it. Now that you have 1,000 hours on your lamp, I do not know if it is bright enough in low for you. Put the lamp back in low (normal) and run for several hours. Then go back to high and see niniifif the flicker is gone. If the problem is what I am guessing it is, then it is not a JVC problem, because I have seen this happen from time to time with lamp based projectors, no matter the brand.
Hi

Thanks for the reply.
I tried going back and forth the first 1-200 hours but after that it did not help and i had to keep it in high.
I have had several projectors before. Sony infocus sharp but never had this issue so to me it's new with the jvc.
If it develops flat spots before the 3000h it is still a fail imo. Especially considering that the manual does not mention this issue as "normal behaviour"
Old 04-21-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply.
I tried going back and forth the first 1-200 hours but after that it did not help and i had to keep it in high.
I have had several projectors before. Sony infocus sharp but never had this issue so to me it's new with the jvc.
If it develops flat spots before the 3000h it is still a fail imo. Especially considering that the manual does not mention this issue as "normal behaviour"
It is not normal behavior. If it is what I said, it is the lamp, not the projector and I have seen it happen with many different lamp based projectors, Optoma, Sony, JVC, Epson, Sharp, Mitsubishi, Marantz and many others. It happened with a Marantz on me once.

mike@avscience.com
Old 04-23-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
It is not normal behavior. If it is what I said, it is the lamp, not the projector and I have seen it happen with many different lamp based projectors, Optoma, Sony, JVC, Epson, Sharp, Mitsubishi, Marantz and many others. It happened with a Marantz on me once.
Ok nice to hear, if it is the lamp then I am glad since pj 2 year warranty is through.

I'm not glad that jvc only exchanged 1/3 of their own faulty lamps since they all showed the same issue after 6-800h.
2/3 of those lamps were v3 so they also have issues (the last 2 that they would not exchange)

They actually gave me the same advice as you (which I found out on myself by trial on error before they told me) to go high lamp and then back. That kept the lamps going on a bit longer, but I did not want high lamp & not needing to switch back and forward.
Jvc should either have checked pj during warranty or exchanged the lamps till i got a good one, especially when considering
A. Their OEM lamps are crazy expensive
B. The jvc lamp issue is widely spread on forums

Basically they should apply a good amount of goodwill since their products are faulty AND expensive. If not for the customers sake, for their own (to keep customers coming back)

I will try a bare Philips bulb (have just gotten osram in my expensive JVC oem modules bought directly from reseller here in SWEDEN) from eBay now.
It's said to be genuine Philips and price on bare bulb 60$ is low, but still as high as some manufacturers that sell (according to description) compete OEM lamp modules including OEM bulb.

Also it had clear images on markings indicating its real deal but I will see when I measure it =)

No more jvc lamp based for me at least, next pj week be laser for sure (probably Epson....or Sony if they do one for a reasonable price).

Sick of those lamp costs and burn a lot of bulb time (only use pj, no tv mounted yet but have a pioneer krp-500M brand new in box that will go up in bedroom =) )

Last edited by [Europe]Boogiem; 04-23-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:

Any clue?
Boogie
In my experience, they solved the premature aging of the lamps starting with the x35 but at the cost of increased flickering. At least on the older lamps, it would be flicker-free until you hit a few hundred hours. I've tested 3 projectors based on the newer lamps (2 RS57, 1 RS600), they all flickered to the point that I could not tolerate them. This was from 0 hours and low/high mode made little difference. I'm hoping JVC switches to another lamp manufacturer or goes laser on next model. Your mileage may vary as not everyone is equally sensitive to lamp flicker - it's mostly noticeable on large bright uniform colored areas.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
In my experience, they solved the premature aging of the lamps starting with the x35 but at the cost of increased flickering. At least on the older lamps, it would be flicker-free until you hit a few hundred hours. I've tested 3 projectors based on the newer lamps (2 RS57, 1 RS600), they all flickered to the point that I could not tolerate them. This was from 0 hours and low/high mode made little difference. I'm hoping JVC switches to another lamp manufacturer or goes laser on next model. Your mileage may vary as not everyone is equally sensitive to lamp flicker - it's mostly noticeable on large bright uniform colored areas.
What he is seeing is different than what you are talking about. You see flicker, right off the bat. He is not seeing any flicker until he has several hundred hours on the lamp, using normal lamp and moving to high lamp removed the flicker for several hundred more hours.

mike@avscience.com
Old 04-23-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Even more flickering on x35, wow, then I'm definitely not going down that road.
I will see how the ebay Philips lamp turns out. Might be less flicker than in my 3 osrams if I an Damn lucky =)
Old 04-23-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
What he is seeing is different than what you are talking about. You see flicker, right off the bat. He is not seeing any flicker until he has several hundred hours on the lamp, using normal lamp and moving to high lamp removed the flicker for several hundred more hours.
Correct, my lamps worked perfect a couple of hundred hours.
After that flicker started in Low lamp mode.
Started switching to high for 3-4h then ran low 3-4h after that another couple of hundred hours.
After that only high worked.
At around 1000-1200 even high flickered.
Changed lamp before it died since the manual says the lamp might go boom our damage projector if not exchanged when behaving in the wrong way.

In theory i should have changed it already after 600 but since jvc did not cover it, I used the work around (that jvc even promoted)

I have never had a fully blown bulb still though so why they address lamp life instead of flicker beats me, since flicker is the main issue on x30 lamps imo.
If it got worse on x35 it feels like they are engineering for worse products with regards to lamps. But maybe the image has better colors, except that it flashes like a torch LOL.

I have partially solved the issue with flicker by buying a 4m wide 2.35:1 studiotek 130 reference series curved screen + panamorph lens, so now I ALWAYS need to go high LOL and fully open Iris.

So next lamp will start in high, I hope that prevents flickering longer than when starting in Low.

What do the experts say, will the hot spots develop slower or faster in high lamp?

Last edited by [Europe]Boogiem; 04-23-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Even more flickering on x35, wow, then I'm definitely not going down that road.
I will see how the ebay Philips lamp turns out. Might be less flicker than in my 3 osrams if I an Damn lucky =)
He sees a flicker based on the design. Out of several hundred people that have bought the JVC projectors, he and one other person see this. At least that is what I recall from seeing posts and based on none of our other customers reporting this. This is sort of like people that see rainbows on some DLP projectors, but even a smaller percentage. I doubt that you would see the flicker that he is talking about. None of the rest of us can see it.

mike@avscience.com
Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
He sees a flicker based on the design. Out of several hundred people that have bought the JVC projectors, he and one other person see this. At least that is what I recall from seeing posts and based on none of our other customers reporting this. This is sort of like people that see rainbows on some DLP projectors, but even a smaller percentage. I doubt that you would see the flicker that he is talking about. None of the rest of us can see it.
Oh, I understand.
Well there is always a tiny variation in brightness even with new jvc lamps, it's like it goes up/down every minute a tiniest bit (best seen when using screen for pc with white background) but not flicker. That part is acceptable in comparison.
The flicker i talk about is seriously annoying and you are just waiting for a shattering glass noise of the bulb exploding. Takes ALL the joy out of watching movies since I just worry bout the PJ at that stage. And mutters in my head "Damn you jvc" =)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, I understand.
Well there is always a tiny variation in brightness even with new jvc lamps, it's like it goes up/down every minute a tiniest bit (best seen when using screen for pc with white background) but not flicker. That part is acceptable in comparison.
Then you will probably be fine on the newer models. What you describe above is what I was referring to - not a regular constant flickering like you get from watching 3D. As Mike says, there are only a few of us cursed with being sensitive to it. I can't use dynamic irises on any projector for the same reason. I always see the random flicker caused by dynamic gamma changes.

For what it's worth, my original RS40 (same as your X3) lamp was down to 6 fL by 500 hours from original of 30 fL (low lamp, small high gain screen). JVC sent me a version 3 lamp free of charge but after reading the horror stories about the projector and lamps, I decided to sell it with the new lamp rather than risk keeping it without warranty coverage.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm the other guy whom Mike was referring to that sees flicker on the newer JVC units (RS4910, RS500) just as Wizziwig reports. I found that the Sony SXRD units do not exhibit this flicker artifact -- so while I await the coming CEDIA this fall for an update to the Epson LS10000 or other similarly spec'd unit I picked up a Mitsubishi HC5 (Sony SXRD panels) with ~15k native contrast (which is about the closest one can get at that price point to the JVC native contrast that I sorely miss).
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

@jjcook ,
Sorry to take this thread off topic, but have you ever sampled the models right before the RS49? Any of these:

DLA-X95R/DLA-RS66
DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56
DLA-RS4810
DLA-X55R/DLA-RS48
DLA-X35/DLA-RS46

These used the longer lasting lamps of recent generations but had the same DiLA panels of the older JVC projectors. I've been unable to test one but if we still saw flicker on them, it would mean it is definitely caused by the lamps and not the change in panels. The newer panels have improved fill-factor but reduced refresh frequency.

Glad to hear the HC5 is working out for you. I've owned close to a dozen UHP lamp projectors over the years (Runco, Epson, Sony, Marantz) and have never experienced a similar flicker. Maybe it is the new panels as you suspected and not the lamps. I hope not because it would mean bad news if JVC releases a laser projector with same panels.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
@jjcook ,
Sorry to take this thread off topic, but have you ever sampled the models right before the RS49? Any of these:

DLA-X95R/DLA-RS66
DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56
DLA-RS4810
DLA-X55R/DLA-RS48
DLA-X35/DLA-RS46

These used the longer lasting lamps of recent generations but had the same DiLA panels of the older JVC projectors. I've been unable to test one but if we still saw flicker on them, it would mean it is definitely caused by the lamps and not the change in panels. The newer panels have improved fill-factor but reduced refresh frequency.

Glad to hear the HC5 is working out for you. I've owned close to a dozen UHP lamp projectors over the years (Runco, Epson, Sony, Marantz) and have never experienced a similar flicker. Maybe it is the new panels as you suspected and not the lamps. I hope not because it would mean bad news if JVC releases a laser projector with same panels.
No I haven't had the opportunity to view any other model (besides the RS57 at KrisD's but the same model year of course) -- per the switch from 240 to 120Hz panels around the X3/X30 timeframe and combined with the those prior generation lamp issues I had frankly given up on prior JVC units.

I also hope the future laser based JVC units may not exhibit this flicker, hate to have to discount one of the few remaining non-DLP manufactures. If it's a panel (refresh) issue as I suspect, it is likely due to their pursuit of contrast above all else that's to blame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector
taboola here