JVC not standing behind failed 650 hour bulb for DLA X3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a heads up to potential future JVC customers. JVC is not honoring replacing defective bulbs that only last 500-650 hours. 1st replacement bulb that was sent Jan 2012 and has 640 hrs, bulb ends in 002 is now toast. Even escalated to a supervisor which explained to him the new 003 bulb with metal flap is suppose to solve the problem of excessive heat which is causing early lamp failures. He told me my bulb sent in Jan was the fixed version. When i asked if he would like me to send him a picture of the defective bulb that has no metal flap he told me that it would not matter because i already received my one time free accommodation bulb. He did offer that a could purchase a bulb at discount and also stated this would be a one time accommodation. Lol... This company is a joke, just wanted to give the community a heads up on how JVC does business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-25-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by rougebear View Post

Just a heads up to potential future JVC customers. JVC is not honoring replacing defective bulbs that only last 500-650 hours. 1st replacement bulb that was sent Jan 2012 and has 640 hrs, bulb ends in 002 is now toast. Even escalated to a supervisor which explained to him the new 003 bulb with metal flap is suppose to solve the problem of excessive heat which is causing early lamp failures. He told me my bulb sent in Jan was the fixed version. When i asked if he would like me to send him a picture of the defective bulb that has no metal flap he told me that it would not matter because i already received my one time free accommodation bulb. He did offer that a could purchase a bulb at discount and also stated this would be a one time accommodation. Lol... This company is a joke, just wanted to give the community a heads up on how JVC does business.

How many total hours did you get when you add the two lamps together, 1,300? How is your projector mounted?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 44 Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

That sucks, I am on the list for a rs4810. And already they got pre maturity dimming bulbs in their pre duction unit. I doubt they can fix that in 60 days
Huh?
post #4 of 44 Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

That sucks, I am on the list for a rs4810. And already they got pre maturity dimming bulbs in their pre duction unit. I doubt they can fix that in 60 days

I would like to see that claim. Can you post the link please.
post #5 of 44 Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

How many total hours did you get when you add the two lamps together, 1,300? How is your projector mounted?

First one was around 550 this one 650, so 1,200 total. According to JVC i would get 3,000 hrs for normal setting which is the mode I keep it in. Never once did I place the bulb on high power because I was worried about early bulb failure. Plus I did not need to with 106" HP 2.8 screen sitting 15 ft. away and projector lens is about 24inches from my eyes directly above my head. The sad part is the "supervisor" (not sure it really was a supervisor or not after three attempts each time I was told a supervisor was not available when I asked) tells me the bulb they sent in Jan 2012 was the newest version they had and should have fixed my bulb issue. Then he proceeds to tell me to send my projector into Long Beach service center because it is probably something wrong with the projector causing the bulb to fail. When I mention my bulb was not the new version that is suppose to fix the issue of the lamp overheating he smugly tells me its impossible for me to know what bulb I have. When I inform him my bulb does not have the metal flap that is on the new version to help cool the bulb and prevent earlier failure there is a long silence on the phone. I proceed to ask him if he would like me to send him pictures of the bulb to clear up what version I have he tells me don't worry about it since I already received my free 1 time accommodation bulb and there is nothing more they can do other than have me purchase a bulb at a discounted price. ($350). Here are some pics of the bulb and were the projector used to mounted since JVC did not want to look at them I guess I will post them here.

jvc bulb pics (2).jpg 1766k .jpg file
jvc bulb pics (3).jpg 2370k .jpg file
JVC bulb pics.jpg 2218k .jpg file
JVC bulb pics 001.jpg 1640k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVC bulb pics 001.jpg (1.60 MB, 89 views)
post #6 of 44 Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM

This is exactly why JVC should stop with the 3,000 -4,000 hour promo in their literature (unless they are willing to back it up and I do not mean a 1,000 hour "warranty" which we still are unclear about)

Marketing gone wild
post #7 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Which model JVC projector do you have? confused.gif
post #8 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've read enough problems with JVC bulbs lately, that I honestly completely crossed them out of my list for my new PJ purchase. There are other good options out there... last thing I want is to have to watch a movie constantly thinking about how ANY TIME NOW this bulb may fail.

Im at 3,200 hours on my Sanyo Z2000 original bulb, zero issues. That's exactly how it is meant to be.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #9 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am on my third bulb now from JVC and was told to run it in high altitude mode for extra cooling. I will be taking some measurements shortly to get a reading on it.

I am very disappointed in JVC in this regards. They are throwing all there customer who have purchased these unit under the bus.

As I said it before they delayed us with 1 or 2 bulbs and then once our warranty is up we are out of luck.
post #10 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpconrad View Post

This is exactly why JVC should stop with the 3,000 -4,000 hour promo in their literature (unless they are willing to back it up and I do not mean a 1,000 hour "warranty" which we still are unclear about)
Marketing gone wild

We are not at all unclear about the warranty. The warranty is 1,000 hours or 1 year. I think most all other manufacturers give 90 days. What we are unclear about is if the new lamp is AC or DC.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #11 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

First one was around 550 this one 650, so 1,200 total. According to JVC i would get 3,000 hrs for normal setting which is the mode I keep it in. Never once did I place the bulb on high power because I was worried about early bulb failure. Plus I did not need to with 106" HP 2.8 screen sitting 15 ft. away and projector lens is about 24inches from my eyes directly above my head. The sad part is the "supervisor" (not sure it really was a supervisor or not after three attempts each time I was told a supervisor was not available when I asked) tells me the bulb they sent in Jan 2012 was the newest version they had and should have fixed my bulb issue. Then he proceeds to tell me to send my projector into Long Beach service center because it is probably something wrong with the projector causing the bulb to fail. When I mention my bulb was not the new version that is suppose to fix the issue of the lamp overheating he smugly tells me its impossible for me to know what bulb I have. When I inform him my bulb does not have the metal flap that is on the new version to help cool the bulb and prevent earlier failure there is a long silence on the phone. I proceed to ask him if he would like me to send him pictures of the bulb to clear up what version I have he tells me don't worry about it since I already received my free 1 time accommodation bulb and there is nothing more they can do other than have me purchase a bulb at a discounted price. ($350). Here are some pics of the bulb and were the projector used to mounted since JVC did not want to look at them I guess I will post them here.
jvc bulb pics (2).jpg 1766k .jpg file
jvc bulb pics (3).jpg 2370k .jpg file
JVC bulb pics.jpg 2218k .jpg file
JVC bulb pics 001.jpg 1640k .jpg file

Not enough light to see how you have the projector mounted. How much space do you have between the back of the projector and the wall.

post #12 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:

We are not at all unclear about the warranty. The warranty is 1,000 hours or 1 year. I think most all other manufacturers give 90 days. What we are unclear about is if the new lamp is AC or DC.

Mike I thought you said in a different thread that there was still a lack of clarity regarding details concerning the 1,000 hour warranty (e.g. complete failure vs severe degradation - yet to be defined)

I assume that it is still an unknown area/policy at JVC

I know you/AVS are great regarding customer support however
post #13 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mike I thought you said in a different thread that there was still a lack of clarity regarding details concerning the 1,000 hour warranty (e.g. complete failure vs severe degradation - yet to be defined)
I assume that it is still an unknown area/policy at JVC
I know you/AVS are great regarding customer support however

I don't recall saying anything like that??? Only thing I have brought up in question to new lamps is the AC or DC lamp. I was originally told DC and later I was told that it is AC, so I am not sure on that one and wanted to let others know that the lamp type was still in question.

post #14 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:

I don't recall saying anything like that??? Only thing I have brought up in question to new lamps is the AC or DC lamp. I was originally told DC and later I was told that it is AC, so I am not sure on that one and wanted to let others know that the lamp type was still in question.

Apologies if that was not the case

Hopefully the bulb issue is rectified in the new models (and there is more clarity as to the parameters regarding the new warranty for those concerned as it is a continual hot button issue for many consumers)
post #15 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Get you a cheap DLP to watch TV/Cable and use the JVC for blurays only, that is what I do. The DLP's actually do better with TV than the JVC for the most part (other than Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, stuff like that)... If I always used my JVC for all projector watching, I'd be having the same potential bulb longevity issues.

That said, my original bulb is crossing near 800 hours, it has dimmed by about half and has a bit more yellow, but it hasn't dimmed that much further since 500-600 and it's still easily watchable on my HP screen. We'll see how long it lasts. Overall I am probably fine with 1000-1500 hour bulbs, would prefer longer, but with my DLP use I get by.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #16 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Get you a cheap DLP to watch TV/Cable and use the JVC for blurays only, that is what I do. The DLP's actually do better with TV than the JVC for the most part (other than Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, stuff like that)... If I always used my JVC for all projector watching, I'd be having the same potential bulb longevity issues.
That said, my original bulb is crossing near 800 hours, it has dimmed by about half and has a bit more yellow, but it hasn't dimmed that much further since 500-600 and it's still easily watchable on my HP screen. We'll see how long it lasts. Overall I am probably fine with 1000-1500 hour bulbs, would prefer longer, but with my DLP use I get by.

We should not have to buy another projector when JVC claims 3000 hours on there bulb.

We bought these projectors for there specs and the bulb is not living up to it.
post #17 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
There is a lot of things in life we shouldn't have to...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #18 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not enough light to see how you have the projector mounted. How much space do you have between the back of the projector and the wall.

1 foot from back wall completely open above and to the sides. If anybody has the number or email address to a JVC supervisor that believes in standing behind their products i would appreciate a pm with their contact info.
post #19 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

Marketing gone wild

I would tend to agree, as these bulb hour life estimates are estimates only. Like how many miles you'll get out of new tires. And really, they should be taken that way. I've never gotten over 500 hours out of any bulb for any projector, except for the current bulb in my Lumis . Why? They get too dim for my tastes. I might get 800 - 1000 hours out of my current bulb. But I can guarantee it will be too dim for my tastes long before it reaches the end of it's stated life span . Don't get me started on the Optoma H79 and bulbs........rolleyes.gif I still think big screen home theater projection is the greatest thing ever - and I think I'll ask Santa for a spare bulb now that I think of it ! cool.gif

That said, sorry to hear of your bulb issues Rougebear. Like a bottle of wine thats corked, these things do happen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #20 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I would tend to agree, as these bulb hour life estimates are estimates only. Like how many miles you'll get out of new tires. And really, they should be taken that way. I've never gotten over 500 hours out of any bulb for any projector, except for the current bulb in my Lumis . Why? They get too dim for my tastes. I might get 800 - 1000 hours out of my current bulb. But I can guarantee it will be too dim for my tastes long before it reaches the end of it's stated life span . Don't get me started on the Optoma H79 and bulbs........rolleyes.gif I still think big screen home theater projection is the greatest thing ever - and I think I'll ask Santa for a spare bulb now that I think of it ! cool.gif
That said, sorry to hear of your bulb issues Rougebear. Like a bottle of wine thats corked, these things do happen.

You said your bulbs only last 500 hours because they get to dim for your taste. I only wish i had that problem. I have a HP 2.8 106" screen so brightness was never a problem . i am just asking for a bulb that does not completely fail at 500-650 hours.
post #21 of 44 Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 343
The written warranty is the only expectation that anyone should ever have. Specifications have all sorts or legal disclaimers. JCCs last year came with a 90 day bulb warranty because that is the warranty the bulb manufacturer provided JVC. Exactly what theat warranty means is somewhat unclear. If the bulb goes dark, explodes, has a cow whatever within 90 days of the sale of the projector you legally have the right to have JVC supply you a new bulb. If the bulb goes 35% dimmer than initial turn on before 90 days you would expect to have no legal rights. Things get a little less clear if the bulb dims by 50% before 90 days because 50% dimming is in the industry looked at as the end of a bulbs life. I suspect legally you would have a right to get a new bulb if it dimmed by 50% before 90 days. Bulb hour specs are meaningless. If a bulb is rated as having a 1/2 power life of 2000 hours, let's call it a half life of 2000 hours, you are SOL if the bulb reaches half its rated output at day 91. Suppose 90% of bulbs last 2000, and you as an unlucky bastard only got 500 hours before it dimned to 50%, you have absolutely no rights if that happens after 90 days. Why? Your warranty was 90 days. It wasn't 2000 hours of use. It wasn't any hours of use. It was 90 days even if you never turned the projector on. The spec is 2000 or 3000 or whatever BUT that gives you no right nor remedy, your warranty was 90 days.

Now companies like to keep customers happy. And when a ;large number of bulb dimming issues occur early in a lamps life but say exceeding 90 days, the manufacturer as good will will replace the lamp for free. Does it cost them much to do that. No. Because they simply make a claim with the bulb manufacturer claiming failure within 90 days. No number of days meter built into a bulb. Can't even tell how long it was run.

To my knowledge, JVC as good will gave most who asked claiming low hour failures or severe low hour dimming a new lamp regardless of the days Dimming of the replacement lamp, if one got 400 or 500 hours when added to the first of say 400 or 500 hours, They don't warrant lamp life by the hours. They don't warrant meeting all specs. It becomes an adhominium determination depending on good will. Now you are scream on the internet and that is perhaps not a bad tactic because they might give you a free lamp to shut you up.

But given that anyone can scream for free on the internet, manufacturers are tightening up on buying off screamers.

It will be interesting to see what the written warranty will be for the bulbs this year. It will be interesting to see how the warranty is written It would be nice for a one year but then exactly what does that mean. It stil lights for a year. How bright. If its above 50% thenn its OK. If its a one year or 1000 hours, whatever comes first, they have no clue that you ran 2000 hours but tell them 999. And then what amount of dimming with the first year or 1000 hoursmeets their standard. What is there standard.

Last year it was 90 days without anything specified. Remember the specs are not part of the warranty because of those disclaimers. Sometimes they or some of them can be but even then specs offer in warranty term means standards of work

My bottom line, once they give you enough bulbs to exceed 1000 hours at over 50% rated output, you are unlikely to get a free bulb. But you a doing the best thing. screaming loud and angry and maybe they will be scream mailed into shutting you up. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #22 of 44 Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The written warranty is the only expectation that anyone should ever have. Specifications have all sorts or legal disclaimers. JCCs last year came with a 90 day bulb warranty because that is the warranty the bulb manufacturer provided JVC. Exactly what theat warranty means is somewhat unclear. If the bulb goes dark, explodes, has a cow whatever within 90 days of the sale of the projector you legally have the right to have JVC supply you a new bulb. If the bulb goes 35% dimmer than initial turn on before 90 days you would expect to have no legal rights. Things get a little less clear if the bulb dims by 50% before 90 days because 50% dimming is in the industry looked at as the end of a bulbs life. I suspect legally you would have a right to get a new bulb if it dimmed by 50% before 90 days. Bulb hour specs are meaningless. If a bulb is rated as having a 1/2 power life of 2000 hours, let's call it a half life of 2000 hours, you are SOL if the bulb reaches half its rated output at day 91. Suppose 90% of bulbs last 2000, and you as an unlucky bastard only got 500 hours before it dimned to 50%, you have absolutely no rights if that happens after 90 days. Why? Your warranty was 90 days. It wasn't 2000 hours of use. It wasn't any hours of use. It was 90 days even if you never turned the projector on. The spec is 2000 or 3000 or whatever BUT that gives you no right nor remedy, your warranty was 90 days.
Now companies like to keep customers happy. And when a ;large number of bulb dimming issues occur early in a lamps life but say exceeding 90 days, the manufacturer as good will will replace the lamp for free. Does it cost them much to do that. No. Because they simply make a claim with the bulb manufacturer claiming failure within 90 days. No number of days meter built into a bulb. Can't even tell how long it was run.
To my knowledge, JVC as good will gave most who asked claiming low hour failures or severe low hour dimming a new lamp regardless of the days Dimming of the replacement lamp, if one got 400 or 500 hours when added to the first of say 400 or 500 hours, They don't warrant lamp life by the hours. They don't warrant meeting all specs. It becomes an adhominium determination depending on good will. Now you are scream on the internet and that is perhaps not a bad tactic because they might give you a free lamp to shut you up.
But given that anyone can scream for free on the internet, manufacturers are tightening up on buying off screamers.
It will be interesting to see what the written warranty will be for the bulbs this year. It will be interesting to see how the warranty is written It would be nice for a one year but then exactly what does that mean. It stil lights for a year. How bright. If its above 50% thenn its OK. If its a one year or 1000 hours, whatever comes first, they have no clue that you ran 2000 hours but tell them 999. And then what amount of dimming with the first year or 1000 hoursmeets their standard. What is there standard.
Last year it was 90 days without anything specified. Remember the specs are not part of the warranty because of those disclaimers. Sometimes they or some of them can be but even then specs offer in warranty term means standards of work
My bottom line, once they give you enough bulbs to exceed 1000 hours at over 50% rated output, you are unlikely to get a free bulb. But you a doing the best thing. screaming loud and angry and maybe they will be scream mailed into shutting you up. smile.gif

I understand what you are saying mark but when I was sent the first replacement bulb in Jan 2012 I was told by the JVC rep that this would be the 003 bulb that fixed the issue of early bulb failures. Lo and behold I get the replacement and its the same 002 bulb that was in my original projector. I called JVC back and voiced my concerns that this bulb would also fail early since it was the same one I had previous. They assured me that if this one also failed early they would send out a replacement at no cost. So here we are today and my bulb failed at 640 hours (first one lasted around 550 hours) and the first guy I spoke to last week agreed to send me a replacement bulb free of charge and said it should be shipping in a couple of days. The next day I get a call from another customer care team member claiming they could only send me a replacement bulb at a discounted price since I already had my free one time accommodation bulb. After telling him what I just typed and also informing him I knew there was another revision of the 003 lamp that now has a metal flap to help cool the bulbs to help prevent early bulb failures he still insisted there was nothing they could do except offer the replacement bulb at a discounted price. I just want AVS forum members to know what type of potential headaches they might have to deal with when purchasing these 2011 and 2012 JVC projectors. As far as the 90 day warranty JVC offers with these bulbs, I agree with you that it does cover them. The problem JVC might have in the near future is explaining why the new 2013 projectors have a totally different power supply and "New 230 Watt NSH Illumination System". Could it be that the 2011-2012 models had a design flaw? If I am not mistaken the 2011 JVC projectors was a new redesigned light engine system that was different from there previous models that had no issues with early bulb failures. Hopefully JVC steps up and does what they told me they were going to do last January if this bulb also failed early. I know they have been some members here who have received 3 or 4 replacement bulbs free of charge because of early bulb failures so the lack of consistency from JVC is also very troubling.
post #23 of 44 Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

I sent you a PM this morning about your projector. JVC told me that your projector was still under warranty and that they wanted you to send it in to confirm that nothing was wrong with it, rather than just sending you a new lamp. In the PM I told you this. Why, several hours later are you posting that you hope JVC will send you another lamp? Let them look at the projector and either correct the issue with the projector and provide you a new lamp or if nothing is wrong with the projector, I am sure that they will send it back with a new lamp. This is why it is important to buy from a dealer that can and will take can of your problems. No, AV Science did not sell this projector, but we are willing to help out. If you have any other questions, please shoot me an email.

post #24 of 44 Old 10-29-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mike I responded to your PM at 2:06, this is the PM I sent to you. Thank-you for your help.

I really appreciate you taking the time to talk with JVC for me. They told me the same thing last week when I talked to the supervisor. Shipping my fragile $4000 projector to Long Beach for them to look at is not an option. The panels have perfect allignment and I do not want to risk damaging the projector during shipment and having other issues when I get the projector back from JVC. Not to mention that other members here have received 3-4 replacement bulbs free of charge and were not asked to risk shipping there projectors to have there bulb replaced. I offered to send them pics like everyone else and I would even be ok with JVC sending someone out to my home to take a look at the projector. I have not had any other issues with this projector other than the bulb, I would understand there logic if my bulbs were only lasting 100-200 hours thinking it might be something wrong with the projector but the bulbs are lasting as long as all the other faulty bulbs you see people posting they get on average 500-800 hrs before they fail. I was also told something different in January when I called JVC with my concerns that the replacement bulb was the same 002 that was in my original that failed early. This is what I wrote earlier to mark that further explains the situation I am dealing with.

"I understand what you are saying mark but when I was sent the first replacement bulb in Jan 2012 I was told by the JVC rep that this would be the 003 bulb that fixed the issue of early bulb failures. Lo and behold I get the replacement and its the same 002 bulb that was in my original projector. I called JVC back and voiced my concerns that this bulb would also fail early since it was the same one I had previous. They assured me that if this one also failed early they would send out a replacement at no cost. So here we are today and my bulb failed at 640 hours (first one lasted around 550 hours) and the first guy I spoke to last week agreed to send me a replacement bulb free of charge and said it should be shipping in a couple of days. The next day I get a call from another customer care team member claiming they could only send me a replacement bulb at a discounted price since I already had my free one time accommodation bulb. After telling him what I just typed and also informing him I knew there was another revision of the 003 lamp that now has a metal flap to help cool the bulbs to help prevent early bulb failures he still insisted there was nothing they could do except offer the replacement bulb at a discounted price. I just want AVS forum members to know what type of potential headaches they might have to deal with when purchasing these 2011 and 2012 JVC projectors. As far as the 90 day warranty JVC offers with these bulbs, I agree with you that it does cover them. The problem JVC might have in the near future is explaining why the new 2013 projectors have a totally different power supply and "New 230 Watt NSH Illumination System". Could it be that the 2011-2012 models had a design flaw? If I am not mistaken the 2011 JVC projectors was a new redesigned light engine system that was different from there previous models that had no issues with early bulb failures. Hopefully JVC steps up and does what they told me they were going to do last January if this bulb also failed early. I know they have been some members here who have received 3 or 4 replacement bulbs free of charge because of early bulb failures so the lack of consistency from JVC is also very troubling."

Again Mike, I want to thank you for taking the time to help me out and talk to JVC about this situation. I really appreciate that.
post #25 of 44 Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Bravo Mike (and AV Science)

Truer words could not be spoken

"This is why it is important to buy from a dealer that can and will take can of your problems."
post #26 of 44 Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Bravo Mike (and AV Science)
Truer words could not be spoken
"This is why it is important to buy from a dealer that can and will take can of your problems."

I agree AVS is great and I would have purchased the X3 from them but they only carried the RS40 and I could not stand the gold ring around the lens. This post has more to do with alerting the AVS community on how JVC does business. There are lots of community members who might be purchasing these projectors second hand and not have a dealer. When reading the post and threads on this forum it was pretty well established that JVC was honoring replacing early defective bulb failures with simple providing pictures of the bulb that failed and proof of purchase. I know if I was a forum member I would appreciate the knowledge that JVC is no longer honoring replacing early bulb failures after they give you a one time accommodation. If I was deciding between the JVC projector vs the other competitors projectors that would be useful information before making my purchasing decision.
post #27 of 44 Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 211
Quote:

I know they have been some members here who have received 3 or 4 replacement bulbs free of charge because of early bulb failures so the lack of consistency from JVC is also very troubling.

I'd play the discrimination card with them. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #28 of 44 Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 343
If you were promised by JVC a new lamp if the 002 dimmed early, then you should be given an 003, end of issue. Of course, re warranties no one has the power to change the written warranty verbally so legally the oral promise would not be enforveable but i think JVC should morally honor what it said orally. They did offer a solution and I would accept it stating that they must return the projector you send to them and no some other one. You really have no other option if you want a free 003 bulb..

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #29 of 44 Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 AM

I'd like to share my JVC X3 experience... I purchased my projector just over a year ago and the 1st bulb exploded at ~ 2 months and 180 hours of use. JVC replaced it without issue. Now the bulb has 400 hours on it but is about one year old and it looks like crap. I tried to get a replacement given low hours but no luck. They told me to buy this - PK-L2210UG. But I just received my shipping info and they sent me a PK-L2210UP. Will this be the redesigned bulb you're talking about? How do I tell?
Thanks, CJ
post #30 of 44 Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Condorodis View Post

I'd like to share my JVC X3 experience... I purchased my projector just over a year ago and the 1st bulb exploded at ~ 2 months and 180 hours of use. JVC replaced it without issue. Now the bulb has 400 hours on it but is about one year old and it looks like crap. I tried to get a replacement given low hours but no luck. They told me to buy this - PK-L2210UG. But I just received my shipping info and they sent me a PK-L2210UP. Will this be the redesigned bulb you're talking about? How do I tell?
Thanks, CJ

Same lamp. The UG model is sold on the consumer side and is listed for the X models. The UP version is sold on the professional side for the RS models. other than the difference of UG vs UP, they are the same. The PK-L2210UP version 3 is the newest lamp.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page