post #61 of 65 Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Re-posting the OP 1st post as sanity chk.
In a video forum 2 choices given, for biggest bang for buck analysis.
-darblet
-a lens
Then later audio choice thrown in by him
-mini dsp
(Imo The audio choice seem to be outta place in Video forum, apples to oranges thing.)
Open ended Q any other idea for $400 can be put on the table.
With all the talk on A-lens vs zooming, just wanted to recheck OP.
There are a few famous zooming vs a-lens threads, as well as CIH vs CIW threads. Rehash them inside here?
IMO, with him sticking with exact same gear he has - slightly dated and such, if he can get an a-lens for $400 that will give him 25% more brightness than zooming.
That is great bang for buck!
All this talk of 4k pj is good stuff, but outta scope of the OP.
There are threads where that is covered, right?
A new bulb is another good one, but I'd guess he does that every 1500 hrs approx give/take already.
So it comes down to more brightness vs the darblet effect .
If he's lived with the brightness of zooming, and over the years came to accept that, then the darblet seems like a "new thing" to do.
Something to try out.....heck this thread put the darblet onto my radar, as a $400 tweak to my slightly dated Sony VW60 pj + UH380 current video side combo.
Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

I apologize for hijacking the thread with AR options.

To try and help with the $400 question:

A simple addiition not mentioned, that is a tremendous bang for the buck in that price range, is to add tactile transducers to your seating.
We have a top of the line SVS sub, but adding Buttkcikers did a lot for the action/adventure genera. It's easy to do and quite dramatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I apologize for hijacking the thread with AR options.
To try and help with the $400 question:
A simple addiition not mentioned, that is a tremendous bang for the buck in that price range, is to add tactile transducers to your seating.
We have a top of the line SVS sub, but adding Buttkcikers did a lot for the action/adventure genera. It's easy to do and quite dramatic.

That's actually a good idea. My old theater was on a sub floor and 4 SVS cylinders shook the floor like nobody's business. With my new theater in the basement (and no sub floor), the effect was lost. Buttkickers went a long way in adding to the experience.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #63 of 65 Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

I am likely going to make a slide myself using drawer slides and some thin wood. Then again, I may get lazy and just switch 16:9 content to 4:3 and keep the lens in place. Either way, I don't think I'll be giving up much since HDTV isn't really even 1080 anyway. I doubt I'll miss those few extra pixels. Both solutions are simple enough and it's pretty easy to get up and move the lens; sure as heck beats zooming and shifting.
Dang you!! Well shoot. Maybe I'll get myself a Darbee for Hanukkah if I decide to keep the lens.

I just had to post as everyone on here has been so helpful when a problem arises or good solid advice is needed. Like I said earlier, I would have never thought the picture could have looked that much better as I thought it already looked fantastic.

Another member also noted buttkickers or something of that caliber. I have 2 pair bought that are not installed yet but look forward to seeing what they add to the experience. Currently for bass I have 2 rhythmik 's and one velodyne 15 behind the rear seats. We have a baby coming home in a day or two and thought they could really be a benefit at low volumes.
post #64 of 65 Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdriver5150 View Post

I just had to post as everyone on here has been so helpful when a problem arises or good solid advice is needed. Like I said earlier, I would have never thought the picture could have looked that much better as I thought it already looked fantastic.
Another member also noted buttkickers or something of that caliber. I have 2 pair bought that are not installed yet but look forward to seeing what they add to the experience. Currently for bass I have 2 rhythmik 's and one velodyne 15 behind the rear seats. We have a baby coming home in a day or two and thought they could really be a benefit at low volumes.

Congrats on your baby. Enjoy the blessings.
We found that the Sub and the Buttkickers are two different animals. They compliment each other, like peanut butter and jelly.
I did not know what we were missing until we watched the "Pod Race" scene (Star Wars) with the couch shaking. It felt like we were in the race.

BTW, where did you get your Darbee from?
post #65 of 65 Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you for the good wishes on the newborn. My wife looks at that baby like the day I received my Klipsch RF-II's..LOL

The darbee was bought from a members store, called integrated solutions. I did see solidsignal.com has it on sale for 299.99 until November 4th.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panamorph Uh480 Anamorphic Lens
Gear in this thread - Uh480 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page