Need Help on Projector/Screen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Greetings all,
I am sure you get these all the time and for that I apologize if it's annoying to constantly get asked. I am in the process of turning a room I have (12'Wx14'L) into a theater room (a small one for sure). Lighting will be almost non existent as it is a room that I can control ambient light in. The walls are being painted Black for screen/ceiling and dark grey for walls. Throw distance will be from back (so around 13 feet). Seating will be at 12 ft. Ceiling is 9ft high

I am looking at:
Monoprice 120' Multi Format White (1.0) Screen
Panasonic AE8000u Projector.

This will be for 98% Movies with a lot of 3D and 2% Games if any.

Questions:

1. Is the white 1.0 the way to go for the screen or the 0.8 grey? Again, most all movies will be in 3D
2. Will this be a good setup?
3. With 9' Ceiling, I was planning on mounting the projector on ceiling but not sure how far down I should have it. I think the top of the screen will be approx 3 feet down from roof if that helps. How far down from the ceiling will it have to be mounted or can it throw from top?
4. Will the Panny work with a 120" screen at 13' without it blinding people sitting at 12ft?

I want to get some great 1080p 3D with good contrast which is why I picked the panny.. But I am hoping it's not an overkill for the area I am putting it in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowulf View Post

Greetings all,
I am sure you get these all the time and for that I apologize if it's annoying to constantly get asked. I am in the process of turning a room I have (12'Wx14'L) into a theater room (a small one for sure). Lighting will be almost non existent as it is a room that I can control ambient light in. The walls are being painted Black for screen/ceiling and dark grey for walls. Throw distance will be from back (so around 13 feet). Seating will be at 12 ft. Ceiling is 9ft high
I am looking at:
Monoprice 120' Multi Format White (1.0) Screen
Panasonic AE8000u Projector.
This will be for 98% Movies with a lot of 3D and 2% Games if any.
Questions:
1. Is the white 1.0 the way to go for the screen or the 0.8 grey? Again, most all movies will be in 3D
2. Will this be a good setup?
3. With 9' Ceiling, I was planning on mounting the projector on ceiling but not sure how far down I should have it. I think the top of the screen will be approx 3 feet down from roof if that helps. How far down from the ceiling will it have to be mounted or can it throw from top?
4. Will the Panny work with a 120" screen at 13' without it blinding people sitting at 12ft?
I want to get some great 1080p 3D with good contrast which is why I picked the panny.. But I am hoping it's not an overkill for the area I am putting it in.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Too much brightness with the Panny will not be a problem. In 2D with a 1.0 gain screen. To get the brightness that you want, you will probably not be able to use best image mode. In best image mode the Panny is several hundred lumens behind the Sony. Heck the Panny in best image mode is several hundred behind the JVC's.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Too much brightness with the Panny will not be a problem. In 2D with a 1.0 gain screen. To get the brightness that you want, you will probably not be able to use best image mode. In best image mode the Panny is several hundred lumens behind the Sony. Heck the Panny in best image mode is several hundred behind the JVC's.

Thank you for the quick answer. So at 13 Feet, the Panasonic won't give the best image mode for 3D because it will be to dark? What projector would you recommend then? I was looking into the Panasonic as it was #1 on Projector Central Reviews and people seem to enjoy it.

Some projector suggestions that fit the area/conditions I am talking would help if you don't mind. I see the DLA-X35B JVC. Seems in the same price range. Would that be better? I await your recommendations.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How about the benq w7000 or Epson 5010\5020? Bright and good 3 d.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowulf View Post

Thank you for the quick answer. So at 13 Feet, the Panasonic won't give the best image mode for 3D because it will be to dark? What projector would you recommend then? I was looking into the Panasonic as it was #1 on Projector Central Reviews and people seem to enjoy it.
Some projector suggestions that fit the area/conditions I am talking would help if you don't mind. I see the DLA-X35B JVC. Seems in the same price range. Would that be better? I await your recommendations.

Has a Panny been number one on Projector Central's reviews every year? I suggested the Sony for you. The Panny is not a bad projector, but in 2D best image mode lumens, it lags behind the JVC, Epson and the Sony.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Has a Panny been number one on Projector Central's reviews every year? I suggested the Sony for you. The Panny is not a bad projector, but in 2D best image mode lumens, it lags behind the JVC, Epson and the Sony.

Okay, maybe it's my blond hair here.. I understand you mentioned a Sony or even a JVC, but no model was specified so I could look into it. I want to take your advice as obviously you all will know more than I.

Are we talking about the Sony VPL-HW50 being better for me?

Again, your time and advice is appreciated.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sorry, yes I was talking about the Sony HW50ES. It is a well rounded projector. What you would call a jack of all trades. The JVC that I was referring to was the RS46. I can discuss these more in depth by email or phone.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page