Sony LCOS panel degradation? 5 yrs, constant use - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #121 of 133 Old 05-05-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3227 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
What is considered "typical" projector life?

For example, if I purchased a projector, it would replace my main TV, and it accumulates around 220 hours of usage per month.

I also recently purchased an open box plasma with almost 8000 hours of use on it because it looks perfect with no sign of wear or other issue and carries its original one year warranty; from the posts here it appears doing that with a projector would mean it was effectively half dead.
The OP'er had around 28,000 hours on his projector. Most people do not put 20 hours a week on a projector. 220 a month is high usage. I don't know that you would get 5 trouble free years out of a projector with that amount of usage. You might, but then you might not.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada & more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 05-05-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Thanks, Mike - I'll stick with panels for now until/unless home projectors get more reliable.
post #123 of 133 Old 05-05-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Thanks, Mike - I'll stick with panels for now until/unless home projectors get more reliable.
An LED DLP projector will do what you want. It will last for 30,000+ hours with no obvious signs of image degradation. That's roughly 8.5 years of continuous 24 hour a day use. Anything LCD based like projectors from Epson, JVC and Sony won't last anywhere near this long.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #124 of 133 Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Anything but three chip DLP doesn't work for me - I can see the rainbow effect the minute I walk into the room; I even notice it on LED stage lighting.
post #125 of 133 Old 05-06-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're seeing it with stage lighting then what you're seeing isn't color separation artifacts. RBE is caused by sequential color and if you see a similar effect from solid state (aka always on) then it's some other phenomenon. I've read about others seeing a similar artifact even on other display devices.
post #126 of 133 Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Knd
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
An LED DLP projector will do what you want. It will last for 30,000+ hours with no obvious signs of image degradation. That's roughly 8.5 years of continuous 24 hour a day use. Anything LCD based like projectors from Epson, JVC and Sony won't last anywhere near this long.
I'm curious as how you know this as fact?
post #127 of 133 Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
It's the only solution that's rated for anywhere near the amount of use for what he's looking to do. DLP has been demonstrated in excess of 100,000 operating hours (more than 1 trillion mirror cycles). And the Phatlight PT120 LEDs that are commonly used in most of these higher end DLP projectors are rated with a half-life of 30000 hours, that is they reduce in lumen output linearly to half at 30000 hours. So given that the end user receives a unit that doesn't have lemon parts and is using the projector properly, ie does not put in overheating, high humidity, or irregular power conditions or whatever else is stipulated by the user manual, there's no reason not to expect it to last that long.

Please reference this TI white paper as a reference to DLP DMD longevity and the LED manufacturer's website for rated lifetime.

post #128 of 133 Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Knd
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It's the only solution that's rated for anywhere near the amount of use for what he's looking to do. DLP has been demonstrated in excess of 100,000 operating hours (more than 1 trillion mirror cycles). And the Phatlight PT120 LEDs that are commonly used in most of these higher end DLP projectors are rated with a half-life of 30000 hours, that is they reduce in lumen output linearly to half at 30000 hours. So given that the end user receives a unit that doesn't have lemon parts and is using the projector properly, ie does not put in overheating, high humidity, or irregular power conditions or whatever else is stipulated by the user manual, there's no reason not to expect it to last that long.

Please reference this TI white paper as a reference to DLP DMD longevity and the LED manufacturer's website for rated lifetime.
So I guess they don't offer a warranty nor need to.
post #129 of 133 Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not saying every projector is 100% full-proof. Of course they'll need to offer a warranty. Like I said, there are parts that fail prematurely (lemon parts) and if the end user gets a unit that has a problem obviously it will need to be fixed. How often do you hear of a DMD that failed? DLP projectors are some of the most reliable projectors out there. A lot more so than LCD-variant projectors. With DLP projectors, it's almost always the DMD control board that fails, not the DMD, due to long term high temperature conditions. LEDs run cooler which in turn means the internal chassis temperature will be lower, which in turn helps control boards keep their longevity.

Last edited by Seegs108; 05-09-2015 at 10:30 AM.
post #130 of 133 Unread 01-17-2016, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sony HT projector SUCKS!!
Claim the lamp can last 3-4000 hours, but before the lamp failed, the optical block lost a lot of its contrast and the colors are all wrong, red become pink in wide color 1, red become orange in wide color 2, and wide color 3 the red is too saturated!
and they dare to quote me a repair cost of $3,100 to replace the optical block of the HW30 after just 600 hours!!

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
post #131 of 133 Unread 01-17-2016, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
I know of DLP projectors that have been severely beat up and have over 15,000 hours on them, and are still running to the exact same spec as when they were brand new. Consumer DLP projectors can easily last 50,000+ hours, average is probably 15k to 25k, but 50k many could hit, we just never do. I also know of school and govt use, DLP projectors are far far more reliable than LCD. The inorganic vs. organic thing only helped a little tiny bit, not nearly as much as the MFR's wish you to believe.

All that said, I have not noticed any panel degradation on a JVC RS-45 at 1500 hours, but there could be some. For reliability, you always buy DLP. Thing is many projectors are getting almost to the price of throw-away (at least for schools)...
Knd likes this.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks
OLD --- Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Last edited by coderguy; 01-17-2016 at 11:48 PM.
post #132 of 133 Unread 01-18-2016, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I still wonder if Sony's cinema projectors have this issue; I can't imagine so as most AMCs are still using the initial Sonys they got when they went digital (Sony paid for a large part of the upgrade cost; I don't know if you remember the "Sony 4K" trailer that used to play before most movies.)
post #133 of 133 Unread 01-18-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I still wonder if Sony's cinema projectors have this issue; I can't imagine so as most AMCs are still using the initial Sonys they got when they went digital (Sony paid for a large part of the upgrade cost; I don't know if you remember the "Sony 4K" trailer that used to play before most movies.)
Yes, see here. It also effects the commercial 4K units in theaters from what I've been told. These units run daily for hours at a time and for some reason using them more lessens the degradation more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP