Panel alignement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an automatic or manual panel alignement with this projector in user guide or in hidden menue in panasonic 8000 ?

Are pannel alignement better out of the box in Panasonic than the last year Epson 3lcd projectors ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 544
There is no consumer class projectors which allow the physical alignment of the panels. The panels are fixed in place and glued or spot welded or whatever. Some projectors allow the image to be moved on two of the three pannels electronically to make a grid appear to align up. This technique which many projectors have has the adverse effects of costing some resolution and sharpness because by shifting a line from one pixel to say part of another, multiple pixels are now used to do the job of one. Yea. That's a fact. But it shuts consumers up about complaining about panel misalignment. it should be noted that often what appears to be panel misalignment is actually Chromatic Aberrations caused by the lens afrom light exiting the curved glass of the lens. Light by color bends at different angles as it exits the glass to the air. Lens have coatings designed to limit this error but as one moves the image by lens shifting away from center, the coatings can not make the changing corrections and misalignment looks like it has occured. There are lots of threads discussing this. I have no idea if the Panny has electronic image shifting to hide misalignment.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Mark,

Yes I knew about this "artificial" color alignement , it seems to help with misaligned primary color lines misalignement upon epson thread readings.
My guess is that panasonic is treating this in their production procedure. Maybe thats why they are a bit more expensive . In fact there is nearly no complaint about this issue compared to epson.
But thats just a guess.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 544
That's all you ever have. RGB primaries each of those colors aimed a one of three panels, with the pixels on each panel rotating to prove a color and brightness to each pixel projection spot on the screen. I doubt any manufacturer is aligning its three panels much better than another. There is only so much accuracy one can achieve and what one gets is often luck of the draw.Shifting electronicalyl a few tenths of a pixel probably gives a net benefit. Shifting .5 pixels provides no benefit. shifting between say .2 and .45 is a net negative. Shifting a full pixels for a grid off by more than a pixel is good. No real cost there. Most use global shifts rather than subzone shifts and are happy with the result.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page