JVC X 70 Projector - poor reliability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
moeusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wanted to make others aware of reliability issues with JVC's X 70 projector. Had my installation done professionally by Starlight AV and the dealer was Wave Electronics. 4 - 5 months after installation the unit fails ( 300 lamp hours )- starts off with a dim light from the lamp which then turns off and warning LED lights flash - deciphered as abnormal electrical circuit from the manual . Unit then is unresponsive, cannot turn off, lens cover will not close, have to pull power cord. Had a frustrating and protracted wait for the installer Starlight to look into the issue ( I did not want to do anything to void warranty ). They call JVC tech support who suggest trying on a new lamp ( though the flashing code for lamp was different ). After blowing $ 450 on the lamp, it fails to work. I was left shipping the unit to California . It idles there for over a week ( on the pretense there was no paperwork of invoice even though the unit was released only a few months ago or a list of problems with unit though when they returned the unit I see copies of these with their invoice. ) Anyway they replaced a pwr assy board and returned the unit to the dealer. Installer fitted it back. I turn it on , it works and everyone leaves. However when I try it again after 3 minutes of use the picture freezes on screen , unit is unresponsive. Flashing lights come on again - no code in manual for the number of flashes ( 5 ) . Had to pull the power cord , restarted, same problem happens. I was furious and frustrated .This time I had a direct number the repair center in CA and they ask to ship the unit back. They replace the same board and other components. I request a replacement as it was obvious that this was a lemon unit. They did not oblige. Asked me to request the dealer to replace . Dealer and installer tel me that JVC has to replace. In short the run around.
After the trauma of 4 trips up and down by UPS and all the repairwork, I do not know what state the projector is or what its life is going to be. While the picture was good it is not acceptable to have this reliability in a $ 8000/- projector. Poor advice from JVC tech support, poor repair and service, 2 months off use, not at all customer friendly - no projector is worth that amont of headache. To their credit, after speaking to the JVC service manager he sent me a spare lamp and a shipping label for the second time, but that was it. I am left with a bill for a spare lamp which I had to buy initially and multiple visits from the installer and a unit which could fail again.
moeusa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
And you felt signing up and posting this here would accomplish what?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is online now  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
SED <--- Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

And you felt signing up and posting this here would accomplish what?

Exactly. Nothing really. One faulty projector doesn't mean they are not reliable.
SED <--- Rules is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Exactly. Nothing really. One faulty projector doesn't mean they are not reliable.

His dealer should have taken care of it anyways
blee0120 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Member
 
MikeyD360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Posting here may not accomplish anything tangible, but surely when many of us are here to plan and get advice on installs and equipment this kind of feedback can be valuable.
JVC is a highly recommended product by many (for projectors) and I myself am planning to get one. The details of this particular case (i.e. the failure of the unit) may be isolated to one unit, otherwise immeasurable, but the underlying story of JVC's (and the dealer's) response to a faulty unit could be concerning for anyone thinking of a similar purchase.
I don't think any of us would want to be stuck with any item that has proven to be unreliable sitting in our HT rooms just wondering when it is going to stop working again.
The fact that the poster couldn't resolve the issue to his satisfaction with JVC or Starlight/Wave Electronics and was forced to vent his frustration on a forum in warning to others is a sign that in this particular case, the dealer and JVC have not dealt with the issue in a customer oriented manner.
Whether this is an isolated incident, or reflective of the overall service policies for these organisations only time will tell, and the more people share these stories like the OP has, then the more manufacturers and installers will be held accountable for the products and services they provide, knowing that poor performance and service will be highlighted in the places that consumers often refer to when making purchasing decisions.
MikeyD360 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Member
 
rpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well said
rpconrad is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD360 View Post

Posting here may not accomplish anything tangible, but surely when many of us are here to plan and get advice on installs and equipment this kind of feedback can be valuable.
JVC is a highly recommended product by many (for projectors) and I myself am planning to get one. The details of this particular case (i.e. the failure of the unit) may be isolated to one unit, otherwise immeasurable, but the underlying story of JVC's (and the dealer's) response to a faulty unit could be concerning for anyone thinking of a similar purchase.
I don't think any of us would want to be stuck with any item that has proven to be unreliable sitting in our HT rooms just wondering when it is going to stop working again.
The fact that the poster couldn't resolve the issue to his satisfaction with JVC or Starlight/Wave Electronics and was forced to vent his frustration on a forum in warning to others is a sign that in this particular case, the dealer and JVC have not dealt with the issue in a customer oriented manner.
Whether this is an isolated incident, or reflective of the overall service policies for these organisations only time will tell, and the more people share these stories like the OP has, then the more manufacturers and installers will be held accountable for the products and services they provide, knowing that poor performance and service will be highlighted in the places that consumers often refer to when making purchasing decisions.

Well here's the problem with this approach in my view. I'm too lazy to break apart your post and quote everything so I just jotted down some thoughts.

1) He didn't come on here to ask for any advice or seek direction. He came on and started bashing a product. There wasn't one question that was brought up. When I read posts like this I am quick to dismiss them as someone merely trolling.

2) If you don't purchase a product based on one negative review, you won't be buying anything, and I mean anything. Find me one product without a negative review on the web. What most people forget is; the happy people don't bother posting for the most part, only the ones with problems do.

3) While no one wants to be stuck with an unreliable unit; let's face it, these are electronic devices pure and simple. All of them have the potential to fail at any time.

4) Once again, we don't know the story at all. You are hearing one side, and one side only. I'm not saying a lot of the stories aren't true, but not everyone is an honest Abe. I'm sure there are many people who tried to scam JVC for a new bulb, and when they were denied, came out and blasted JVC as being a horrible company.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off