JVC DLA RS4800 vs. JVC RS55 and similar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at the shoot out here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout
... and the JVC seems to be the way to go for me. I think I like the absence of dynamic iris issues and 3D is a secondary issue for me, so the ghosting isn't a huge problem.

A key need is throw distance flexibility - with that in mind, THIS seemed to be the best choice: http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS4800-prices.htm

But I don't know if it's likely otherwise to be comparable to the models that HAVE been reviewed.

I need help from people who know more than I do!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
What screen size?

Are you mostly a movie watcher, or Sports and Gaming?

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat Pete View Post

I was looking at the shoot out here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout
... and the JVC seems to be the way to go for me. I think I like the absence of dynamic iris issues and 3D is a secondary issue for me, so the ghosting isn't a huge problem.
A key need is throw distance flexibility - with that in mind, THIS seemed to be the best choice: http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS4800-prices.htm
But I don't know if it's likely otherwise to be comparable to the models that HAVE been reviewed.
I need help from people who know more than I do!
Thanks in advance.

What do you primarily watch? If its the majority movies, then JVC. I love the 2D on my RS40 and RS55, but I watched the majority sports. So, I got a benq w7000, which is brighter, better motion, and the best 3D. Lately, I been watching movies and the JVC has been really missed. I have a ton of movies stacked up just for when the RS4810 gets here. I never really watched 3D on the JVC, so I was never the one to complain about it. When I watched it, I thought it was good, but it gave me eye fatigue. I fell asleep or was sleepy watching 3D with the JVC. Overall, the JVC is great andif its primarily 2D, you will be very satisfied.
post #4 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quesitons. I think this should answer all of them, but please, by all means - keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!

1.) It's multiple use. That's why the throw distance has to be flexible - the 4800 has an 8' throw distance as its minimum, which is key.
1.a) There's a home/home-office use, which includes movies, and that's an important function. But not only - it's going to replace my computer screen entirely, in part because of an eye condition which makes reflected light MUCH better for me than radiated screen light. There's some sports watching, but less important than movies. By the way - why would watching sports have different requirements than watching movies? I don't understand that at all - enlighten me, please!
1.b.) We also want to use it for events - we run a non-profit that puts on literary, artistic, poetry, and other events that require projection, so a 20 or 25 foot distance in non-total-darkness should, ideally, also be feasible. That's for showing high quality video.
2.) The home office would put the screen about 9 feet away - well, bit more, since it'd be a bit higher than where I'm sitting. But a throw distance of 9 feet and a screen width of somewhere between 60 and 70 inches in width. Good zoom, the ability to adjust the lens horizontally and vertically is pretty important in this limited space; keystone correction would be good... don't know if that's all possible.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quesitons. I think this should answer all of them, but please, by all means - keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!
1.) It's multiple use. That's why the throw distance has to be flexible - the 4800 has an 8' throw distance as its minimum, which is key.
1.a) There's a home/home-office use, which includes movies, and that's an important function. But not only - it's going to replace my computer screen entirely, in part because of an eye condition which makes reflected light MUCH better for me than radiated screen light. There's some sports watching, but less important than movies. By the way - why would watching sports have different requirements than watching movies? I don't understand that at all - enlighten me, please!
1.b.) We also want to use it for events - we run a non-profit that puts on literary, artistic, poetry, and other events that require projection, so a 20 or 25 foot distance in non-total-darkness should, ideally, also be feasible. That's for showing high quality video.
2.) The home office would put the screen about 9 feet away - well, bit more, since it'd be a bit higher than where I'm sitting. But a throw distance of 9 feet and a screen width of somewhere between 60 and 70 inches in width. Good zoom, the ability to adjust the lens horizontally and vertically is pretty important in this limited space; keystone correction would be good... don't know if that's all possible.

For sports, many and myself like it to be bright enough that you can watch it with lights on and not be so washed out. Also, DLP handles motion better, which you need with sports. Also, dlps are sharper, which is good for sports. So, the benq is brighter, has better motion, and sharper to give it the advantage watching sports over the JVC. Also, maybe its just me, but 60-70in width screen is really small, maybe a second projector that is cheaper will better. And the JVC is really not that portable. You can take it around, but its almost 40lbs. I would be worry about something happening to it, since non portable and expensive projectors can be fragile. The JVC is not really that bright and I don't think having events that are not in complete darkness will work, especially from 20-25ft. Hopefully others chime in, but the JVC is used primarily in dedicated home theaters
post #6 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Blee, thanks, that's helpful. A few questions:
1.) does what you're saying apply to all JVCs? I was looking at the 4800. And may there are other models?
I'm worried about the downsides of the DLPs - both rainbow sensitivity and the problems with dynamic irises. I can go up to about $5000 for the whole thing. If anyone has a great suggestion, I'm more than open to it!
2.) Unless we're only watching, say, "Sleepless in Seattle," most of what you say about sports might apply to movies, too, no? How many action seens in Lord of the Rings, etc., would be just like the sports thing you describe?
Thanks
post #7 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a projector just for outdoors and to take around to events. It's a $500 720p projector. It gets the job done and its brighter enough in non theater settings. It's a optoma gt720, which is a short throw projector. My other screen is 220in and it lights it up just fine. I also, have a portable 120in screen that I take around sometimes. I watch movies or play ps3 on them. I cheaper alternate to keep the dedicated projectors in one spot
post #8 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm looking for a really good native 1080p unit. I tried the Panasonic 720p and didn't like it. I really want one truly excellent machine, not three machines each of which would be more or less just ok for my purposes. It's going to get a lot of use, so it's worth the investment.
Because of that, I'm worried, again, about the possible rainbow effects and the problems of dynamic irises. Also, do you find that the dlps are really sharper? Coderguy made the JVC RS45 his pic for best 2D image for under $4000 over the DLPs. What am I missing?
Thanks, as always!
post #9 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blee, thanks, that's helpful. A few questions:
1.) does what you're saying apply to all JVCs? I was looking at the 4800. And may there are other models?
I'm worried about the downsides of the DLPs - both rainbow sensitivity and the problems with dynamic irises. I can go up to about $5000 for the whole thing. If anyone has a great suggestion, I'm more than open to it!
2.) Unless we're only watching, say, "Sleepless in Seattle," most of what you say about sports might apply to movies, too, no? How many action seens in Lord of the Rings, etc., would be just like the sports thing you describe?
Thanks

You don't want the image too bright, that's why the iris is so good on the JVC. When watching movies, I prefer to keep it around 16ftL or between 400-500 lumens at max. With the benq, the lowest is around 950lumens, which makes the picture look too bright. JVC, sharpness, is good, just not as sharp as my benq. However, you will not be able to tell much with movies. I find that fast pace sports can use a little extra. With motion, I could never tell the difference with blu rays, its always been when I'm watching sports. Its not night and day better, it just a little better and the benq is cheaper. Certain content requires different things. Also, look at the epson or Panasonic cheaper models. They have bright projectors for under $1200, that are more portable than a JVC. And this goes for all JVC models too
post #10 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'm looking for a really good native 1080p unit. I tried the Panasonic 720p and didn't like it. I really want one truly excellent machine, not three machines each of which would be more or less just ok for my purposes. It's going to get a lot of use, so it's worth the investment.
Because of that, I'm worried, again, about the possible rainbow effects and the problems of dynamic irises. Also, do you find that the dlps are really sharper? Coderguy made the JVC RS45 his pic for best 2D image for under $4000 over the DLPs. What am I missing?
Thanks, as always!

Im not saying dlp are better because its sharper. Just how DLPs are. 2Dwise, JVC with no question. They are good for sports, I just think DLPs are better with sports
post #11 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Do you guys think 1300 lumens will be insufficient? Let's make a measure: 15 feet in non-darkened inside space at max lumens. Will 1300 handle it? Is the lumens difference significant vis-a-vis the contrast, possible rainbowing and dynamic-iris differences?
Also, I'm not worried about the weight - for this price, I want the best actual product. I'll deal with the weight.
Thanks yet again!
post #12 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I am confused. The minimum throw for the JVCs is 1.4 times the 1.78 aspect screen width. its not a minimum of 8 ft. The maximim throw is 2.8 times the screen width. If you are talking screen widths of between 70 and 80 inches, the minimum throws would be respectively 8 ft 2inches and 9 ft 4 inches. With those screen sizes having enough light would not be a problem. There is only one person in the world with the definitive answer as to which is the best projector and which is the best for your alloted dollars. Unfortunately, he was abducted by one of the HT projector manufacturers and no longer posts. The best anyone else could do is to give you what will ultimately turn out in some others opinion to be the wrong answer. In reality everything you are considering here will have pluses and minuses. If you want my expert opinion, and yes, I am considered to be an expert, I have a note from my dead mother if you need proof of my accreditation, and I think the RS4810 which is available from mail or internet sources near your price point or the Sony HW50ES for even less. Both would do you fine and despite what anybody says there is no one correct choice. Life is a compromise and projectors involve more compromises than life in general.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #13 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mark, thank you very much, this was very helpful. May I ask why you'd think the RS4810 would be better than the RS4800, which is slightly less expensive, has a slightly higher contrast ratio, and a shorter throw distance?
post #14 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Mark is correct. As he said the throw range for the JVC is 1.4 to 2.8. With a 70" wide, I would think that the HW50ES would be a little too bright for HT use. You would have to use the iris in manual mode the whole time, cost you contrast. With the JVC, at least you could close the iris down and get the image down to usable HT brightness without losing contrast.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #15 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, AV S S 5, that's a great point.
I'd ask, too: at 1300 lumens, what distance could one of the JVCs reasonably manage in a non-bright but non-darkened indoor setting?
and
also, if you have an idea about choosing among the relevant JVCs?
post #16 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Don't go by max lumen output unless you like a very inaccurate colors and way too much green. The jVC will be bright enough though in best picture mode. Brighter than most mentioned here with the exception of the Benq w7000.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 4810 is the coming new model and does several things better than the older 4800. You really can use anything you want including a machine like the Sony. You just add a cheap neutral density filter, say an ND2, which eats up 1/2 the light uniformly and then you still could emply the dynamic iris. I am not arguing for its selection over the JVC, just that it would work. They all would work. I guess is that every thing considered, if I were you I would choose the RS4810 but if someone gave me the Sony, I wouldn't trade it in to get the RS4810. One must remember that the RS4800 or 4810 really doesn't have great on off contrast (read great blacks) when set up at close throw. For blacks at close throw, the Sony might be a better choice. BUT It really won't make much difference either way. Amd the Sony is better for sports viewing. but in all, the JVC has a better lens.

And Mike G. I am really getting pissed that when you say "Mark is right" that you continually leave off the magic words, "as usual".. Please watch it. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #18 of 27 Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mark is correct. As he said the throw range for the JVC is 1.4 to 2.8. With a 70" wide, I would think that the HW50ES would be a little too bright for HT use. You would have to use the iris in manual mode the whole time, cost you contrast. With the JVC, at least you could close the iris down and get the image down to usable HT brightness without losing contrast.

1.4 is the official number, but 1.36 to 1.37 is what most have measured (1.37 is what it really is), although this makes very little difference. I think the MFR's round up on purpose to give users a slight error margin, because the min. throw ratios are often stated slightly too high.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #19 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Reading more reviews... what's with the "flicker" issue?
Flicker with one tech, rainbow with the other.
But is the flicker issue only a 3D issue?
post #20 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Also, I've consistently read things like "The Sony hw50 cannot compete against the RS46's black levels and contrast, but it will compete with motion and latency."
IF, at a short throw range, the JVC is suddenly behind the Sony, that's a big difference. The rainbow issue is still a big one, though.

And, to show which way we're leaning, practical issue: who do I contact as a AVS sales rep to see whether the 4810 pre-order price is still available and what it is?
post #21 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
practical issue: who do I contact as a AVS sales rep to see whether the 4810 pre-order price is still available and what it is? AVS5 - mike above

I think the pre order price is good until AVS receives their first shipment (which we all hope will be soon) They may have filled all of their pre orders however, so if you are considering it you better do it soon.
post #22 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Forgive the dumb question - but that thread said to contact an AVS sales person - did it mean a JVC sales rep?
post #23 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, I've consistently read things like "The Sony hw50 cannot compete against the RS46's black levels and contrast, but it will compete with motion and latency."
IF, at a short throw range, the JVC is suddenly behind the Sony, that's a big difference. The rainbow issue is still a big one, though.
And, to show which way we're leaning, practical issue: who do I contact as a AVS sales rep to see whether the 4810 pre-order price is still available and what it is?

Pete. You really need to give Mike G a call. Reading all this stuff here without fully understanding it is obviously confusing you.

There is no clear winner between the sony and JVC. There is no magic formula you can plug into to determine a buying decision analytically.

Behind, in front, the differences are small. In your varied applicaions probably meaningless.

OK Back to specifics. Both the Sonys and JVCs are three chip bulb lit machines. Neither has rainbows. Nor do they come with a pot of gold but I degress.

Rainbows are seen by some with single chip machines that use a color wheel or are lit by flashing LEDs. So stop worrying about rainbows.

People are feeding you bits and pieces. Please give Mike a call. I used to work with Mike and I would be happy to talk with you as well.

bottom line. I am sorry but there is no clear correct choice in multiuse multi set up applications and all the things you are considering will work and will make you happy.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #24 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mark, thanks. I'll call Mike today.
And I've just read up on the LCoS technology and realized the rainbow worries are irrelevant to this comparison, which is a relief.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mike, Mark, I've written you via e-mail - has it gone into spam? Trying to contact you!
post #26 of 27 Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Call mike here:

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
post #27 of 27 Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 AM

I've got an RS10, how much of an upgrade is the RS4800?(eyeing a b-stock) i'm prob 50% movies/HDTV in light controlled room. how bout the 3D viewing? thanks!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dlax55rbu 3d Full Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page