Projector recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I use to frequent this site a ton a long time ago. The people here were tremendous in providing advice when I was building my theater and in selecting components. I use to advise people myself smile.gif

I've had my same setup now for 8+ years and it's about time I upgrade my projector. I have a Sharp XV10000 which when I bought new was pretty state of the art. I project from about 18' onto a 104" Brilliant White Carada screen. The seating distance from the front row is 12'. I watch mostly movies and some sports, but really mostly movies. 3D is interesting but not a primary driver.

The combination of technology change and me forgetting most of what I use to know, leads me to ask current enthusiasts for help. Keeping it under $4k, what would you recommend based on the above? Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 233
John, the upcoming JVC RS4810 (X55 in the UK) could be a good option for your setup and fits the price point your looking for.

This projector is generating good feedback so far from those that have seen it in person. The JVC's are well known for for their excellent native contrast which will look great in your light controlled HT.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.areadvd.de%2Fhardware%2F2012%2Fjvc_beamer_2012.shtml

Another option is the new Sony HW50. It's an update to last year's model and is now brighter with the 'Reality Creation' processing built in (it makes the image appear sharper). This model has very good 3D as well, but the focus, zoom, and lens shift are all manual (compared to the JVC which is all electronic). This may not be important, just mentioning.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The JVC is a good option because it will show you how far the technology has moved forward since you bought your last projector. There is going to be a MAJOR bump in contrast performance and in lumen output. That is going to be the first thing you're going to notice. The only thing I would caution you on if you do choose to go the JVC route, especially coming from a DLP after so many years, is the difference in display technology being used. JVC uses LCOS panels, not DLP. These LCOS chips put up a different looking picture on your screen. The best adjective to use here to describe the look would be 'analog'. The image will look a bit more natural. Personally, I have a gripe with the JVC units in regards to motion. As I said previously, coming from a DLP you will notice the difference. It's dependent on you to decide whether or not its a big enough difference to make you like or dislike the product. Sony also uses LCOS panels, but they have updated the panels with faster response times for motion. For all but the pickiest, motion is fine. I would recommend if you have the means to check out a couple of these newer models at local dealers so you know if it's something worth your money.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great advice. I think I need to audition a few with different technologies to see what's happened in the past 8 years. I'll be able to decide what I like.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page