Upgrade to JVC RS4810? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Should I look into adding a lens to my Mitsubishi HC7000 or try and sell it and upgrade to JVC RS4810? My throw went from 12' in old home theater to 17' in new theater, previously projecting to a carada 1.78, 1.4 gain, 95.9" wide screen and moving to a seymour AT, 2.37, 1.2 gain, 130" wide.

Will the A lens help with the longer throw for clarity and brightness?

If I go with selling and buying new JVC, will it need a A lens for that distance?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Please be aware that many projector's light output will change as the zoom is used. Typically it will be dimmer at minimum (smallest image size) compared to a shorter throw set up with more zoom applied, even if the screens were the same size. I have measured my light output when zooming to fill my 2.35:1 screen and also when using my Isco II lens. Both readings were very nearly the same. Now my set up means that I have to zoom back to the end stops when using my lens, so perhaps there is a bigger change at this end with my (older) JVC HD350/RS10, but it's just an example that using a lens does not guarantee a 33% brighter image as some seem to think.

You don't say what lens you intend to buy either. There is a cheap new lens being discussed in the 2.35:1 forum, but due to it's lower cost it doesn't have the full correction that better lenses have, so it requires that the projector it is used with has sub pixel adjustments for convergence, but your existing projector doesn't have this feature I believe?

Although I'm very pleased with my Isco II (bought for a good price used 2-3 years ago now) you have to view the projector/lens as a whole, so it might be that in your case you would be better upgrading the projector rather than buying a cheap lens. It also depends on how much 2.35:1 content you watch as of course for 16:9 your image won't be any better than now. smile.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Without getting into an A lens argument I'll make it simple.

Any of the current projectors will have more than enough lumens to light up a screen that size and gain from that distance.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #4 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Upgrade it is! Now after going thorough most of the latest shootout thread I'm a lil perplexed on which to go with it but after reading coder guys summary I think the 4810 will fit the bit. Not interested in 3D and want the best picture possible.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #5 of 22 Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Not interested in 3D and want the best picture possible.

Well the RS66 is probably going to give you the best picture possible.

The 4810 will be beneficial with the e shift 2. The 46 should be a hair brighter though which wouldn't hurt on a 1.0 gain screen (which is what the Seymore AT screen measures at real world).

The 4810 also has a CMS (not sure if it will work any better than it has in the past however), which will allow a better calibration. Of course for the savings of the 46 over the 4810 you could buy a lumagen mini and have a really flexible setup.

I'm running an A lens so I went for the 46 over the 4810 as with the tighter pixel fill will negate the benefits of the 4810 a little. I'm hoping JVC will have a little more accurate color gamut this year as well which will close the distance over the CMS (if it works).

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #6 of 22 Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
If you want to stick with high quality and stay repair free pick a Japan made projector, like
the VPL-VW95ES. I too went from an HC7000 but to an HC9000D, first non-JP PJ i ever
owned. Build quality is clearly inferior, poor tolerances, naked bolts and screws, smeared
demarcation lines at silver trim, wavy IR sensor covers, the whole commie deal.

HC7000 is a dim machine, so upgrading the PJ makes sense. It is one of the sharpest
PJs out there still, and quietest too. In my research the VPL-VW95ES and HC9000D come
very close to it. Of course i am a cheap guy, so I paid half of what the Sony would cost and
still got a great deal.

If you live couped up in a big city with service nearby, by all means spring for a JVC, but top
of the line only.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In a predicament, my room wont be finished till spring likely, but pre-orders for x55 up here in Canada end this week. If i pre order I get Two pairs of 3D Glasses, 3D RF Emitter & one extra lamp for $4300CDN, plus 3 years warranty. Now should I hold off till I need the projector or should I hop on this decent looking deal now?

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #8 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

In a predicament, my room wont be finished till spring likely, but pre-orders for x55 up here in Canada end this week. If i pre order I get Two pairs of 3D Glasses, 3D RF Emitter & one extra lamp for $4300CDN, plus 3 years warranty. Now should I hold off till I need the projector or should I hop on this decent looking deal now?

I was in a similar predicament last year. I preordered the RS55 and didn't have my room finished until March. Honestly, I think waiting would have served me better. Granted, JVC has supposedly fixed the bulb-life issues this generation by going with an entirely new PS and housing, but the early RS45/55/65s shipped with fault-prone bulbs and I would have received the revised bulb had I waited until March.

Waiting until spring will also solidify whether going with the X55 is the best choice for you, considering there should be ample feedback regarding brightness, 3d performance, CMS, and something regarding how well the new lamp is holding up. I know I was a little worried with the RS55 sitting in my office for 3 months whether it was the right choice...Looking back, having the piece of mind to know I could mount it and send it back if I didn't like it (luckily I did like it) would have been worth giving up the $400-$500 preorder savings.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 AM

Liked: 12
I just want to comment on your Canadian price: it sucks balls.
I'm done purchasing items that Canadian retailers seem to be gouging the customer with.
Who don't you give Mike at AVS a call to see the what the (amazing) pre order price is in the US.
Not sure how close you live to the border but a day trip to a UPS box might be worth it if you save a substantial amount.
just my 2 cents...

personally, i'll be driving down to Rochester to pick up my projector. Short day trip for me.
Even if it wasn't I'd still get it shipped to my box in Niagara Falls NY.
Zed
post #10 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 AM

Is that a bad price for Canadians considering the extra bulb, glasses ect.? Does the AV Science offer include those bits?
post #11 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majozx3 View Post

I just want to comment on your Canadian price: it sucks balls.

Zed

I just want to comment that I only wish they were that cheap over here as there would be no question of me getting the X55 over the X35: We pay around £4,700 for the X55 (no RS4810 option) emitter and two pairs of glasses. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is for the Canadian dollar verses Sterling, but I'm pretty sure it's not 1:1 so I reckon our UK price is maybe 20-30% more than the price you're moaning about. wink.gif At least I can save £300 by not getting the 3D stuff as it gives me a headache. frown.gif

post #12 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 27
Its about 1.6 conversion Kelvin. So our £4999 price for x55 and glasses/emitter is £7950 canadian. So $4300 (which sucks balls!) is a cracking deal from our side of the atlantic!
Crikey.....you guys get all the best deals frown.gif
post #13 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Soup...I though us 'Pommies' were supposed to be the whingers. wink.gif So if the Canadian price 'sucks balls' then I dread to think how cheap the US price must be. I'll bet that I'd be able to have an X75 with change at US prices compared to our X55 price.

post #14 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Am I missing something? $500 for a pair of glasses, emitter, and extra bulb seems like a pretty good deal. confused.gif

-Mike
post #15 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM

I would even suck someone's balls to get a deal like that!
post #16 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 83
post #17 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 12
my apologies for taking this thread off topic biggrin.gif

i guess with all those extra bits the price is not so bad after all. i was too quick to judge rolleyes.gif

i still like AVS and their price. hopefully i won't need a new lamp for at least 2-3 years.... maybe more....

yeah you guys over the Atlantic are getting the short end of the shaft (sorry I meant stick ).
i have relatives in Switzerland and they tell me same washing machine we have is selling for ~8000 franks ( i got it for less than 2K canadian)

and then we (Canadians) envy our brothers to the south...... twisted world for sure.....
post #18 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

For sure, the grass always seems greener on the other side. Though in Soupdragon's case that could be true living on the Emerald isle as he does. biggrin.gif I think I'm settling on a very modest upgrade to an X35 as I know I'll be wanting to go true 4K in the future.

post #19 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majozx3 View Post

my apologies for taking this thread off topic biggrin.gif
i guess with all those extra bits the price is not so bad after all. i was too quick to judge rolleyes.gif
i still like AVS and their price. hopefully i won't need a new lamp for at least 2-3 years.... maybe more....
yeah you guys over the Atlantic are getting the short end of the shaft (sorry I meant stick ).
i have relatives in Switzerland and they tell me same washing machine we have is selling for ~8000 franks ( i got it for less than 2K canadian)
and then we (Canadians) envy our brothers to the south...... twisted world for sure.....

With all the extras he's getting a better deal than going through AVS. I think you need to check again.
post #20 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also can't get it through AVS, no shipping to Canada aloud and I'm 16hrs from a border never mind a place that I could use as a border store.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #21 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

For sure, the grass always seems greener on the other side. Though in Soupdragon's case that could be true living on the Emerald isle as he does. biggrin.gif I think I'm settling on a very modest upgrade to an X35 as I know I'll be wanting to go true 4K in the future.

I've got one eye on a 4k projector too once the time comes. That said, I'll probably need to sell a kidney at our prices! Its a spare organ so how important can it be really? Could even sell an eye if really pushed, although 3D movies might look a bit flat after that eek.gif

Is anyone changing from RS55 to the 4810? Interested to hear about the differences...
post #22 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I still have the RS55 so you'll get some feedback once the 4810's arrive, should be early next week.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page