JVC RS20 Red Line Down Side -- Upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after doing some research I see that I likely have a problem with my "optical block" as I have a red line down the right-hand side of the edge of my screen.

For the moment I've basically zoomed and shifted the line off of the screen, but I don't have a warranty so I figure it would be best to just upgrade rather than try and fix it.

What is a good alternative to this projector?

Also I do not want to get another JVC. I had my Sony for four years and never had a single issue so I don't want to be in this situation again.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Considering an optical block will cost you more than a new projector, I think an upgrade is the wise choice. smile.gif

I wouldn't totally rule out JVC, as all projectors have their quirks and issues. Grab a new 4810 with a three year warranty and don't worry about it for a while. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm wary of buying another JVC after this. I've never had an issue with a projector like this before... both of my prior projectors were Sony and they worked perfectly so I don't know if I want to jump back into JVC and wind up with another issue.

I've seen several threads here about the optical block issue with the JVC projectors so apparently it's a common issue.

It looks like the Sony HW30 is the closest comparative model right now from what I've researched.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!
post #4 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Only that I'm not sure that a HW30 is really the comparable model to upgrade from an RS20. The Sony doesn't have anything like the same native on/off contrast and I seem to read many posts about the poor lens that this model has. In fact even the replacement model HW50 doesn't seem to have a fantastic lens judging from early reviews and seems to rely more on the built in sharpness (RC?) feature to 'make up' for the softer lens.

However, have you read the other thread just below this one where another RS20 owner heated up his RS20 and got rid of the pink stripe? It seems a bit 'kill or cure' but maybe an option as a last resort.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #5 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatk View Post

Well I'm wary of buying another JVC after this. I've never had an issue with a projector like this before... both of my prior projectors were Sony and they worked perfectly so I don't know if I want to jump back into JVC and wind up with another issue.
I've seen several threads here about the optical block issue with the JVC projectors so apparently it's a common issue.
It looks like the Sony HW30 is the closest comparative model right now from what I've researched.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks!

If we never purchased a product that has had issues, we all would be watching via candlelight and hand puppets. smile.gif

The older JVC's did have optical block failures, but that is pretty much a thing of the past. Not saying there won't be other issues, but on a whole they are pretty reliable.

I agree that the HW30 will be a step down from your 20. I sold my 20 a few months ago and have been looking at finding a replacement, and there aren't a lot of current projectors out there that would be considered a "step up" without spending thousands more.

I'd recommend looking at a VW95 if you like the Sony, or possibly the HW50 if you are a big 3d watcher. The Mits HC9000 is also a viable alternative with a good track record.

Achievement Unlocked

post #6 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

If we never purchased a product that has had issues, we all would be watching via candlelight and hand puppets. smile.gif
The older JVC's did have optical block failures, but that is pretty much a thing of the past. Not saying there won't be other issues, but on a whole they are pretty reliable.
I agree that the HW30 will be a step down from your 20. I sold my 20 a few months ago and have been looking at finding a replacement, and there aren't a lot of current projectors out there that would be considered a "step up" without spending thousands more.
I'd recommend looking at a VW95 if you like the Sony, or possibly the HW50 if you are a big 3d watcher. The Mits HC9000 is also a viable alternative with a good track record.

Yeah I agree, but after reading all of the problems people were having, and JVC not being terribly helpful I'm looking into another brand.

It sucks really because I loved the quality of the JVC picture, but I can't afford to buy a new projector every two or three years.

I don't care at all about 3d. I'd like to get a good 2d projector that is of comparable quality to the JVC picture. I looked into the JVC you recommended bass and it looks incredible, but it's a bit out of my price range and again I'm trying to find an alternative brand.

Would the VW95 be comparable to the RS20?

Thanks again for your help!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I am taking a few notes from others reviews, so keep that in mind. I personally haven't seen both projectors in the same setting.

Very few projectors can match the black level of the JVC's, but nowadays most are so close you'd be tough to tell the difference without a direct AB.

The VW95 has gotten really good reviews and I personally think it's one of the best 2d projectors for the money right now. I'd be sporting one if it weren't for the limited throw ratio. The HC9000 is really another very nice contender that other than a few minor quibbles, throws a beautiful 2d picture. It has some killer placement flexibility allowing you to mount in pretty much anywhere. These can be had brand new on closeout for under 3k right now. Mits has been very reliable in the past.

Achievement Unlocked

post #8 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I am taking a few notes from others reviews, so keep that in mind. I personally haven't seen both projectors in the same setting.
Very few projectors can match the black level of the JVC's, but nowadays most are so close you'd be tough to tell the difference without a direct AB.
The VW95 has gotten really good reviews and I personally think it's one of the best 2d projectors for the money right now. I'd be sporting one if it weren't for the limited throw ratio. The HC9000 is really another very nice contender that other than a few minor quibbles, throws a beautiful 2d picture. It has some killer placement flexibility allowing you to mount in pretty much anywhere. These can be had brand new on closeout for under 3k right now. Mits has been very reliable in the past.

Great thanks very much. I think I'll probably go with the VW95 then.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM

I too have a red right edge on my JVC DLA-RS15.
It started out small, but now it is too big.
I'll probably get the SONY too.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 AM

Liked: 12
I have been dealing with the red stripe issue for about a year now. Waiting for all the reviews to come through on the new releases. My HD750 (RS20) still throws a great image, but i have zoomed and masked to the limit and now have a constant red line. I have looked at the Sony's and current JVC 4810. The JVC's are impressive, but I have this nagging displeasure with a company that had an obvious problem with optical blocks and chose to ignore it unless it came up during warranty period. If there were only 1 or 2 samples I would understand, but look around the web and you will find we are not alone.

I am also considering an Optoma HD8300. Blacks are not as good but the image is beautiful, sharp and detailed. I have also calibrated a couple of these and they have controls to adjust color, gamma and grayscale spot on. Does anyone have experience with an Optoma long term?

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
post #11 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatk View Post

So after doing some research I see that I likely have a problem with my "optical block" as I have a red line down the right-hand side of the edge of my screen.

For the moment I've basically zoomed and shifted the line off of the screen, but I don't have a warranty so I figure it would be best to just upgrade rather than try and fix it.

What is a good alternative to this projector?

Also I do not want to get another JVC. I had my Sony for four years and never had a single issue so I don't want to be in this situation again.

Thanks for any advice.

In order to get a better handle on the colored stripe problem, it would be VERY helpful if you could post information about your problem here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451654/attention-magenta-or-any-colored-stripe-defect-on-their-jvc-projector

THANKS!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #12 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM

Liked: 12
Techman - i appreciate your passion, but do you really think JVC is going to suddenly pay attention to another thread on this subject. They have clearly ignored this issue through multiple threads and samples sent to them out of warranty. Sorry if i seem overly negative - they are within their legal rights to refuse to repair pj's out of warranty at their cost and they have chosen to redesign and put this failure behind them. Look at the lamp issue on 2012 models and what it took to get that issue resolved while still under warranty. They are not going to go back 4 generations to fix this problem.

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
post #13 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The other possibility is the old Sony VW85 (2D), but do not expect the black level could beat or meet the RS20 which I used to own, as well as the Sony HW15.

It really comes down to personal choice/taste.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcdude View Post

Techman - i appreciate your passion, but do you really think JVC is going to suddenly pay attention to another thread on this subject. They have clearly ignored this issue through multiple threads and samples sent to them out of warranty. Sorry if i seem overly negative - they are within their legal rights to refuse to repair pj's out of warranty at their cost and they have chosen to redesign and put this failure behind them. Look at the lamp issue on 2012 models and what it took to get that issue resolved while still under warranty. They are not going to go back 4 generations to fix this problem.

At this point it is not for JVCs sake. I think it is for people that are staring at the issue in the face, and possible criteria for those to avoid to worsen the possibility of this happening. Also JVC earned the black eye, they should get no free pass on this as it went on far too long. Legal rights are theirs, agreed, public opinion is our only recourse other than class action that only makes lawyers money. Personally, JVC gets one more kick at the cat, then I wouldn't buy a stitch of their wares. Two broke down paper weights in 2.5 years is ridiculous.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page