JVC owners with a recent model projector - "pink stripe" optical block fault - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

There are enough posts on the forum of owners with older JVC projectors (RS1, RS2, RS20, RS10) who experience a stripe, usually pink, down one side of their projector due to a fault in the optical block, that indicates that this a reasonably regular fault with these projectors. Its not exactly clear what causes this and the fix is to replace the optical block at a cost higher than the resale of these projectors, and the fault can occur with as little as 1000 hours and for a lot of us it has happened after the warranty period has expired. I have a yellow stripe on the right hand side of the screen which developed at 1200 hours in a well ventilated position without having the projector on for a long period of time where it could overheat.

Although it could be argued that an expensive piece of consumer equipment should last longer than 1200 or so hours, it is out of warranty so I'm stuck. It is possible to mask off the fault but that isn't a proper fix and you lose some of the image. As I have had almost 4 good years with this projector, which otherwise throws a very fine picture, I'll suck it up and move onto the newer model with more shiny bits (3D, e-shift etc.).

Apart from this fault I really like the JVC projectors and am on the preorder list for a new one. However I'm wary of getting another JVC projector if this fault is also evident in the newer JVCs, especially if it shows up after the warranty expires if you don't use the projector regularly. So coming to the reason for this thread - do any JVC projector owners with this year or last year models experienced this (or similar) problems? I'm aware that it will only show up in recent models with higher than average usage, but there should be enough end users with enough hours on their projector that this problem should start showing up by now.

Please post back if you know if this problem has been resolved or if you had a recent JVC projector which exhibited the problem. Thanks.
deandob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, after almost 100 reads after 2 weeks with no one replying I'll assume the pink line issue is no longer a significant issue in the newer JVC projectors. Not a really scientific conclusion but better than a 50/50 guess.
deandob is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I had an RS2 clone (Pioneer FPJ1) and now have an RS45 and I've never seen the issues and it's the first time I recall reading about it. Maybe someone else had it and I overlooked it but I've read hundreds of complaints about last years lamps and ghosting in 3D but I don't recall reading about a pink stripe.
xb1032 is offline  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
xb1032, thanks for posting that you have not heard of the problem.
deandob is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
...I had an RS20 fail in that same manner, while still under warranty. JVC replaced my unit with the same model, but then, after about a year the replacement projector failed in the exact same manner. Upon returning the unit and after several phone and e-mail discussions, JVC replaced the optical block on the second unit without charge, even though my warranty on the original unit had since expired. This was during the time of the horrific tsunami in Japan. They actually fabricated the replacement block back in Japan by special order. During discussions, the second round, I had a chance to ask the tech who worked on replacing the block about the vertical line problem history, and was told that the original RS20 series used a type of assembly glue somewhere in the optical block that had a history of letting go. The symptom of this failure is a vertical line of discoloration on screen right extreme edge, or screen left if inverted ceiling mounted, that slowly widens with time. Their fix on later models (probably the RS25 series and forward) was presumably a change in the type of glue being used and glue-up procedure, during the factory optical block assembly. The conclusions drawn from this experience is, first, strong kudos to JVC for the extraordinary customer service extended to me, and, secondly, the chances of the same vertical edge discoloration problem popping up on the later models should be tiny..

Are Eleven Channels Really Enough?

Jedi is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jedi, that is good to know and reassuring. Thanks for posting!
deandob is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Highjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

...I had an RS20 fail in that same manner, while still under warranty. JVC replaced my unit with the same model, but then, after about a year the replacement projector failed in the exact same manner. Upon returning the unit and after several phone and e-mail discussions, JVC replaced the optical block on the second unit without charge, even though my warranty on the original unit had since expired. This was during the time of the horrific tsunami in Japan. They actually fabricated the replacement block back in Japan by special order. During discussions, the second round, I had a chance to ask the tech who worked on replacing the block about the vertical line problem history, and was told that the original RS20 series used a type of assembly glue somewhere in the optical block that had a history of letting go. The symptom of this failure is a vertical line of discoloration on screen right extreme edge, or screen left if inverted ceiling mounted, that slowly widens with time. Their fix on later models (probably the RS25 series and forward) was presumably a change in the type of glue being used and glue-up procedure, during the factory optical block assembly. The conclusions drawn from this experience is, first, strong kudos to JVC for the extraordinary customer service extended to me, and, secondly, the chances of the same vertical edge discoloration problem popping up on the later models should be tiny..

I deducted it was an adhesive issue in this thread:


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438969/possible-jvc-hd-pink-line-solution-in-some-cases


However there is a link to C4H where the projector is opened up......seems a fixable issue for a fraction of the cost of replacing the optical block.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Highjinx is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Highjinx, can you recall where that link is? If its easily fixable its worth exploring a DIY or local repair house fix.
deandob is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Highjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

Highjinx, can you recall where that link is? If its easily fixable its worth exploring a DIY or local repair house fix.

Check the link I posted above.....it's in one of my posts in that thread...the second or third I think.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Highjinx is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, got it. Looks like it might be a bit risky for DIY, I might call the JVC repair shop in Marrickville who seem to have worked out a cheaper fix. I have someone interested in my projector but for a much reduced price so unsure even if an extra $700 is worth the trouble (I'm on the preorder list for the X75).
deandob is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Highjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

OK, got it. Looks like it might be a bit risky for DIY, I might call the JVC repair shop in Marrickville who seem to have worked out a cheaper fix. I have someone interested in my projector but for a much reduced price so unsure even if an extra $700 is worth the trouble (I'm on the preorder list for the X75).

Good luck either way.......My HD750 failed towards the end of 2009, I was lucky as they replaced the Light engine with a HD990/RS35 LE within the warranty period......I was stunned by the difference in increase of dynamic range.....still going well today around 800hrs only, you and I were on the same group buy organised by 'Prior' I think

I'm hanging on to this baby, will upgrade when a new chassied model is released.........will hang on to this as a stand by however.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Highjinx is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, we purchased at the same time.

Interesting that you found a difference in the dynamic range when the contrast ratio difference isn't that much different (50K:1 vs 70K:1). Can you explain a little more about the difference the dynamic range made?

Hopefully the new models don't have any design or manufacturing defects like the original RS20/RS10, I am disappointed with JVC because of this (and I'm effectively out of pocket because of poor resale) but it seems these issues are behind them now.
deandob is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Highjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

Yes, we purchased at the same time.
Interesting that you found a difference in the dynamic range when the contrast ratio difference isn't that much different (50K:1 vs 70K:1). Can you explain a little more about the difference the dynamic range made?
Hopefully the new models don't have any design or manufacturing defects like the original RS20/RS10, I am disappointed with JVC because of this (and I'm effectively out of pocket because of poor resale) but it seems these issues are behind them now.

I have read the CR of the RS35/HD990 goes beyond 115,000:1 in some cases, Jeff M had his RS20 LE changed over with a similar result. I am wondering if the lens is changed over as well along with the LE. I thought they had put in a new globe, but it was the same old one!

The imge depth had increased significantly,image appeared sharper, the whites were more vibrant, which made the blacks appear deeper.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Highjinx is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice! Perhaps I should be expecting similar with the new X75 when comparing to the old RS20 - sounds promising.
deandob is offline  
Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Highjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

Nice! Perhaps I should be expecting similar with the new X75 when comparing to the old RS20 - sounds promising.

I think you should!

This may interest you.....similar to my experience.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1206394/jvc-dla-hd990-procision-projector-review-rs35/210#post_19199858

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Highjinx is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
SirJohnFalstaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I too have recently had this issue appear on my 3 year old RS25 recently. Like others have stated it certainly is heat related. My pink stripe goes away after about 45 minutes of use. When I first turn on the unit, the stripe is very intense, but fades quickly in the first 5 minutes. I was hoping to get 5 years out of an expensive projector, but as soon as this problem gets worse, I'll upgrade. I'm still amazed at the picture quality of the RS25 as compared to the two Panasonics I've owned in the past. I expected more out of JVC quality at this price, but can't see myself buying any other brand now that I've seen the picture this thing throws.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

SirJohnFalstaff is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 1,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does Sony have similar issues, or it's JVC's?

I know, I know, JVC's black is closer to CRT-black than Sony. Own(ed) them both.
dragonbud0 is offline  
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

OK, after almost 100 reads after 2 weeks with no one replying I'll assume the pink line issue is no longer a significant issue in the newer JVC projectors. Not a really scientific conclusion but better than a 50/50 guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

OK, after almost 100 reads after 2 weeks with no one replying I'll assume the pink line issue is no longer a significant issue in the newer JVC projectors. Not a really scientific conclusion but better than a 50/50 guess.

It DEFINITELY IS A significant issue in later models, which appears to be showing up more and more as the warranties run out and they get more hours on them.

I’m hoping to get a better handle on how large the problem is. I’ve created a new thread to try to collect more specific information so we can rule out some things. If there isn’t constant posting, it will need to be bumped. One of the BIGGEST problems on this forum has always been a lousy search engine. When somebody try's to find a problem like this, everything but the problem comes up. If it isn’t keep on the first page nobody will find it.

If you still have interest in this problem, please go HERE: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451654/attention-magenta-or-any-colored-stripe-defect-on-their-jvc-projector#post_22825363 and post your answers to the questionnaire.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jake51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Today I just found out that my HD550 (RS15) will not be repaired by JVC, as it is three weeks out of warranty

I thought that there was a three-year warranty on the projector ... but it is the bulb

Otherwise, I would have sent it in with plenty of time to spare

JVC has now offered me a X35 (RS46) for half the price

But three weeks out of warranty, and then... the end confused.gif

Should I buy a new projector from a company that treats me badly ... or is it my own fault, because the warranty had expired?
jake51 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
SirJohnFalstaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post

Today I just found out that my HD550 (RS15) will not be repaired by JVC, as it is three weeks out of warranty

I thought that there was a three-year warranty on the projector ... but it is the bulb

Otherwise, I would have sent it in with plenty of time to spare

JVC has now offered me a X35 (RS46) for half the price

But three weeks out of warranty, and then... the end confused.gif

Should I buy a new projector from a company that treats me badly ... or is it my own fault, because the warranty had expired?

Warranties are pretty cut and dry. If you're over one by even a day, then the company in question doesn't have to do anything. Atleast they offered you a new projector at a significant discount. Overall, if you take this as a case where your product developed a fault after the warranty was up, then I think JVC offered you a fair deal on a replacement. However in this case, I'm sure JVC is aware of this issue that has affected several models and could very well affect current models. They should be forced to offer a recall and fix the issue like a car company would if a manufacturing fault was found no matter if the warrenty is still valid or not. Like me, your warranty has expired and any repair is going to cost you. That's why I'm looking to buy an X95 from a company that offers an extended warranty. JVC get's one more chance with me.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

SirJohnFalstaff is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
deandob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to give JVC another chance and purchased a X75/RS56 but I'll be very annoyed if the problem isn't resolved, especially if it pops up out of warranty again.
deandob is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
domingos38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post

Today I just found out that my HD550 (RS15) will not be repaired by JVC, as it is three weeks out of warranty

I thought that there was a three-year warranty on the projector ... but it is the bulb

Otherwise, I would have sent it in with plenty of time to spare

JVC has now offered me a X35 (RS46) for half the price

But three weeks out of warranty, and then... the end confused.gif

Should I buy a new projector from a company that treats me badly ... or is it my own fault, because the warranty had expired?

what do u think?
domingos38 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
 
jake51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think that if I accept the offer of a new JVC and this at some point develops the pink stripe, I'll be very mad.gif
jake51 is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Member
 
turtletrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Millet, Alberta
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post

I think that if I accept the offer of a new JVC and this at some point develops the pink stripe, I'll be very mad.gif


Imagine that you bought a HD-950 and it developed the "pink stripe" after one year. You think, "how odd" and "whew, at least I am under warranty", you send your unit away and after THREE MONTHS, you receive what is verbatim from JVC CANADA, "a new unit", and open the box to see a cabinet covered with scratches. When you used gloves every time you touched your $8000 projector. You get an absolutely stone wall response when you complain, but you test the unit and find that the optics are good and fee from any major issues, you accept the fact you are on the losing end again. Then after your unit goes out JVC warranty it happens again!! You say" what the hell is going on!!" and "at least I have my $500+ extended warranty from my retailer". You swallow the lump of being without you projector again for god knows how many months, and box it up thinking with the possibility of getting out of this POS and upgraded to a design that is not rife with problems, and a chassis that was not scratched to hell because someone at the factory was having a bad day, only to get the phone call you were hoping to end the bloody nightmare that has been the JVC experience only to hear "your projector is fine".

Only thing I can figure is that these things are so absolutely flakey, that on the trip back to the repair center it got a bump, or cold enough that the problem fixed itself. It is that or I have a brain tumor, because it is EXACTLY the same thing that happened to my first one.

turtletrax is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 AM
Senior Member
 
jake51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel your pain
Do you still have the projector, or have you moved on to something else?
jake51 is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Member
 
turtletrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Millet, Alberta
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post

I feel your pain
Do you still have the projector, or have you moved on to something else?

It is still at the repair center. I told my retailer that there is definitely issues with my unit and explained them in more detail. Hoping a second look will find the problem, but I am at a loss as to how luck can get this bad.

Seriously contemplating if I get it back to just dump it and take the loss. Buy a $2500 unit and wait for LED/Laser and possibly 4K. If this happens I will not consider JVC until their track record improves. My extended warranty is transferable, so perhaps someone else will have better luck than I do.

turtletrax is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off