Can an Epson 5020e replace a plasma tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - My plasma TV died and I don't feel it's worth fixing. I ordered a Samsung 60" to replace my 43" Runco TV, the Samsung will not be here until 2 more weeks. Incidentally my Dwin TV3e is showing it's age and needs a new lamp - - I think it's the perfect excuse to upgrade to a newer pj. In our home the plasma gets the most use, but at night if we want to watch a movie we obviously prefer to use the pj. The screen is a 92" Firehawk.

From what I've read so far I like the Epson 5020e the best and it fits my needs the best. I was thinking, can this projector replace my plasma all together and be our main TV? I ask because it will not be used in a light controlled room, far from it, I have attached pictures so you can see. I would probably need some sort of shade to cover the glass doors on the right - but the wife prefers not to, but if we need shade, shades it is. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
I don't have an Epson 5020e but I can make a general comment on using a projector full time in a room like yours with so many windows.
IMHO, I don't think you will be happy with it unless you look to control the light more effectivly.
If $$ is not too much of an object, take a look at having automated blackout shades installed that will effectivly reduce the incoming light.
Adding the automation to shades is not much more than the shades by themselves (for decent ones anyway)

I used a Panasonic LCD for over a year as my main disply and you know what I discovered, I no longer cared about the size. I became too used to the large screen and then big movie nights were no longer "special". I have since moved back to a plasma for regular TV and use the projector for football and movie nights. MUCH HAPPIER! Everytime I start up the projector, I start to get a little bit excited again.

My 02 worth....
post #3 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
KMR

I can agree with Mike about using a projector all the time makes it lose the "special" feeling. My projector is my main display and it's just 'normal' to me now. However, I honestly wouldn't want to go back to the smaller screen size of a normal TV set.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I certainly wouldn't mind having some shades to cover the doors *some of the time* but we like a lighted room and this definitely not ideal for watching the Epson or any other projector. The thought of having a 92" "TV" was appealing, but in reality not very functional in a multi-use room like our family room.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I agree with Mike and KMR as well. With a TV you'll never have to replace bulbs either and like they mentioned without a light controlled room the picture is going to look washed out.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes but you need a special screen such as this:

http://www.screeninnovations.com/projector-screens/fixed/black-diamond-zero-edg/

This screen rejects light sources not directly in front of the screen.

Look at the videos on the site to see what you can expect with some ambient light.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page