Quick 8 question JVC or Sony poll. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If it's a choice between a Sony or a JVC, which would you buy?
JVC 20 57.14%
Sony 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 152
A lot of us started out like this poster, always worrying about reliability and what not (it's normal).
Eventually though most of us end up just buying whatever we think has the best PQ and hope the darn thing don't break too soon.
That'd be my suggestion, buy on PQ.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

+1...

and i'd echo what mark h said earlier... buy from a dealer you trust to help you if (when) you have issues... having someone who will go to bat for you is invaluable...

the "best price" doesn't always equal the "best deal"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #33 of 42 Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 128
If you have not done so yet, call Mike at AVS for Pre-order pricing.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

They are great to deal with, and very competitive pricing.
post #34 of 42 Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had Sony projectors and never had issues with them, owned my last one more than two years and went through one bulb change.

I've had my JVC for about two years and am still on the same bulb, but now I have the "optical block" failure and it is out of warranty so I'm screwed.

After reading through the forums it appears the JVC projectors have this problem in more than one instance.

I don't know if the current/new projectors still have this issue (I own an RS20) but I'm going to go with a Sony just because I've had better luck with them.

I love the picture quality of the RS20, but I'm wary of buying such an expensive piece of equipment when others have had the same issues at around the same time (2 years or so) but your mileage my vary of course smile.gif
post #35 of 42 Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Imatk,

How many hours did you have on the JVC when it failed? Do these failures (optical block) usually happen at a certain hour point? I usually put 1K-2K hours a year.
post #36 of 42 Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
One other thing to note, if considering the JVC RS4810, it comes with a 3 year warranty from JVC vs. the normal 2 years.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #37 of 42 Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 401
The RS20 is the only JVC I recall folks having this issue on. I don't recall this conversation on the RS25/35, RS40/50/60 or the RS 45/55/65.
post #38 of 42 Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Thanks for all the ones who shared their experience with their projectors. That's what I'm looking for. If any of my relatives or friends were looking to spend $2500 or less on a projector I would without hesitation recommend an Epson projector. This is based on my experience with Epson. This includes both quality of the picture and their customer service. I have nothing but good things to say about Epson....well maybe quality control but I have no problems with that because of their customer service.
If on the other hand someone was to ask my recommendation on a television I would steer them far away from Samsung. This is based on my experience with a 55" 3D TV I bought 2 years ago and with less than 300 hours on the TV ( You can read my rant about them in the television threads). If Sony or JVC is anything like Epson or like Samsung, I would like to know before I spend $5000+ on a projector.
I'm trying to get a sample and feel for how the people roaming the threads feel about these companies based on their experience. If I only get a small sample of people, so be it. It will still add weight toward my final decision.
Thanks again,

I ask questions on owner's threads lot and they get over looked most of the time. The only way to really ask a question is to make a thread so its out there. More people will see it this way. So, I see no problem with not asking this question on an owner's thread. Plus, its a forum. I wish I would have asked more question before I spent $2500 on my first projector. A couple responses from owners are better than guesses from people who don't own the projectors

btw this is the $3k and up forum, so this thread should be moved rolleyes.gif

fwiw, I'm satisfied with my 5 year old Sony VW60, $4.2k at the time, still use it, on 4th bulb (I repalce every 1.3k hours or so), no service issues at all.
I have a-lens also for my 2.35:1 screen.
post #39 of 42 Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
+1...
and i'd echo what mark h said earlier... buy from a dealer you trust to help you if (when) you have issues... having someone who will go to bat for you is invaluable...
the "best price" doesn't always equal the "best deal"...

+2...
I've bought all my recent non secondhand gear from the same dealer (Lumagen, Oppo BluRay player, calibration equipment and software and now new projector). He looks after me and gives me a good deal too, so no point trying to save a tiny amount extra going to a box shifter. It's the only reason I've taken the chance being an 'early adopter' with the new X35 (well that and I really can't believe they would go to the trouble of giving it a new lamp and new power supply and then still messing it up rolleyes.gif) as I feel like I'll get some support if there are any issues with it.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #40 of 42 Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

btw this is the $3k and up forum, so this thread should be moved rolleyes.gif

Oops, no more Epson or Panasonic talk on this thread rolleyes.gif
post #41 of 42 Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The wife just asked me to pick her up some 'Epson' salts for her bath.tongue.gif

well I hope the dealer where I pick up my new projector from, looking more like the X55, has a good customer satisfaction policy. The business is new so here's to hoping.

Thanks for all those who commented.
post #42 of 42 Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

The wife just asked me to pick her up some 'Epson' salts for her bath.tongue.gif
well I hope the dealer where I pick up my new projector from, looking more like the X55, has a good customer satisfaction policy. The business is new so here's to hoping.
Thanks for all those who commented.

Im getting the same projector, hopefully its about 3 weeks away. I can't wait
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page