Quick 8 question JVC or Sony poll. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: If it's a choice between a Sony or a JVC, which would you buy?
JVC 20 57.14%
Sony 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I’ve been an Epson customer for the last 3 years and I am now ready to take the step up to either a JVC or a Sony.

My experience with Epson and how their customer service treats the people in the sub 3K category was truly exceptional and want to do a quick poll to find out how the JVC and Sony owners found their experience and satisfaction with their product. This will help in my decision.

1. Sony or JVC owner?
2. Lamp issues after 500+ hours? Projector <2 years or >2 years
3. Had minor issue with projector that was resolved. Not resolved.
4. Had major issue that was resolved. Not resolved.
5. How long you’ve been a customer. Satisfied? Not-satisfied?
6. Based on your experience, would you buy from them again?
7. Rate product reliability. 1-10
8. Rate customer service . 1-10

Thanks for your time and honesty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 341
LOL. No over analyzing here folks. biggrin.gif

I've owned both.

1) Epson has the better CS
2) JVC builds a better projector IMO.

That being said; CS aside you really need to get the projector that works the best for you.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've had both. RS45 and last years Sony 30.
Was not impressed with the 2D picture of the Sony. Never watched 3D. If you like 3D get the Sony or wait on this years JVC and see how 3D has improved.
IMO the JVC has the best 2D picture money can buy if watching blu ray. HDTV is what I'm watching 80% of the time so got a Benq w7000 and will wait to see how the new JVC lamp does compared to years past.
If it is improved as they say ill look at a 2 projector setup.
Never had to deal with Sony customer service but I hear it is really good.
My lamp blew on my 45 with around 700 hours. Called JVC and they asked me to send a few photos of the lamp. JVC sent out a free lamp within the week. So no complaints there.
post #4 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 130
We need to know about the room / seating distance / screen to make an educated choice.
post #5 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bass addict, the HW50 and the X55 will both work, I'm looking at peoples experience with reliability and overall customer satisfaction. If the JVC has a better quality image over the Sony that's great, but if the JVC's reliability is lacking then that will be a major contributing factor. Sure an Audi A5 is a sweet car but if it's always in the shop (I'm not inferring that it is, just an example) then maybe Acura might get my money.

Thanks tigerfan33, this is the kind of experience that I, and I'm sure others in my situation, like to read about.
post #6 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

We need to know about the room / seating distance / screen to make an educated choice.

Everyone's room is different. I know what will work for my room and not looking for advice in that area but rather I'm just looking for peoples experience and satisfaction with the their Sony and/or JVC. That's all.
post #7 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to come across like a prick; but if you want to know about reliability and customer service, you have all the information you will ever need in each prospective projectors official threads. No need to start a new thread and rehash old information.

Keep in mind however, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so to speak. Most people don't rave about issues they don't have, only the ones they do. wink.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #8 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Not to come across like a prick; but if you want to know about reliability and customer service, you have all the information you will ever need in each prospective projectors official threads. No need to start a new thread and rehash old information.
Keep in mind however, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so to speak. Most people don't rave about issues they don't have, only the ones they do. wink.gif

That's why I'm asking. If you read through the owners thread, you really only hear about issues and helpful fixes. You never really read very much about the non-issues so if people have had great experiences then this is a chance for their vote. Polling is not a bad thing when buying expensive pieces of equipment. I'm sure there are many in the same situation as me so this is helpful, IMO.

It's easier to read a few pages discussing the same topic than it is to read through a 100 pages trying to find the answer to your question. This isn't about a single product but rather more of a general feel for how people feel about Sony and JVC.
post #9 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Everyone's room is different. I know what will work for my room and not looking for advice in that area but rather I'm just looking for peoples experience and satisfaction with the their Sony and/or JVC. That's all.

Here is why that will not work...

If I had an anamorphic lens, or smaller screen and or longer seating distance I would buy Sony.

Because Of my variables I am buying the JVC with E-Shift...

Variables = massive change...
post #10 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
JVC RS1, RS15, RS45; never a problem, lamp or otherwise (wish I would have kept my RS15 around as a spare, actually).

Willie
post #11 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I've owned 3 different JVC's among many other projectors. The lower cost JVCs are worth the money. What you get in 2D can't be matched for under $3500. I always mention this, but the only pet peeve of mine with the JVC's is their motion handling. This is the main reason I can't own one for good and that's the main reason I don't think JVC can compete in the $5000+ price bracket. Unless you haven't been spoiled by something better (DLP) or you simply don't care or aren't bothered by it there's no reason to stick with the JVC if you have the money to purchase a higher end Sony or one of many higher end DLPs. Yes they do fantastic in the On/Off contrast measurements but in that higher price bracket you can get a DI that's virtually undetectable (from various companies) and does exceptionally well, albeit not the best, in On/Off numbers. I'm a DLP fan and always will be.

If I had the money, I'd go for a higher end Sony (or probably a DLP) any day of the week over the higher end JVCs. But in the lower price bracket, if that's where my budget was, I'd go for JVCs low end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #12 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Guys. You are answering questions he is not asking. He does not want your well meaning recommendations on which one he should buy. I doubthe will get enough answers here to provide a statistically valid net answer. My recommendation is to choose your dealer carefully and to primarily relie on it to provide or get the service you need.
post #13 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Guys. You are answering questions he is not asking. He does not want your well meaning recommendations on which one he should buy. I doubthe will get enough answers here to provide a statistically valid net answer. My recommendation is to choose your dealer carefully and to primarily relie on it to provide or get the service you need.

Well technically he is asking for which one he should buy. smile.gif

I agree this is way too small of a sample to gain any valid information about it.

Edit: And adding a poll is going to help any. You'll just get a bunch of biased opinions on people who have owned one or another, not both.

Achievement Unlocked

post #14 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I don't think there are going to be enough people to answer all the questions he wants answered to get a good consensus. I would say his best bet would be to read through the current Sony and JVC threads. There is a wealth of information in those threads that is current and useful. Most people who have issues with their projectors will post in there (and have already). The majority of them don't frequent this forum enough to post in here or couldn't be bothered to if they do see this thread.

To generalize what I would imagine he's going to find out:

1.) There are probably more JVC owners on this forum.
2.) A LOT more lamp issues with JVC projectors.
3.) Both will have minor issues.
4.) Both will have major issues.
5.) Both companies handle each case differently. Most have positive outcomes and both companies will drop the ball with a few people and make them seem like heartless companies. Both companies will satisfy the majority of their customers.
6.) & 7.) are both subjective but I would imagine most people have been pretty happy with both.

In the end both of them are great companies who make great products. You just need to choose one or two aspects of PQ and see which companies fits those needs better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #15 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I don't think there are going to be enough people to answer all the questions he wants answered to get a good consensus. I would say his best bet would be to read through the current Sony and JVC threads. There is a wealth of information in those threads that is current and useful. Most people who have issues with their projectors will post in there (and have already). The majority of them don't frequent this forum enough to post in here or couldn't be bothered to if they do see this thread.
To generalize what I would imagine he's going to find out:
1.) There are probably more JVC owners on this forum.
2.) A LOT more lamp issues with JVC projectors.
3.) Both will have minor issues.
4.) Both will have major issues.
5.) Both companies handle each case differently. Most have positive outcomes and both companies will drop the ball with a few people and make them seem like heartless companies. Both companies will satisfy the majority of their customers.
6.) & 7.) are both subjective but I would imagine most people have been pretty happy with both.
Mark, he does want our opinion on which to buy. He says that in his first paragraph. In the end both of them are great companies who make great products. You just need to choose one or two aspects of PQ and see which companies fits those needs better.

Never had a Sony, but I had the RS40 and 55. Never had one problem. Didn't put many hours on the bulb. 320 with the RS40 and 175 with the RS55. Great picture, I don't see a reason to switch to another brand for my main projector. I am using a Benq W7000 as my second projector
post #16 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the ones who shared their experience with their projectors. That's what I'm looking for. If any of my relatives or friends were looking to spend $2500 or less on a projector I would without hesitation recommend an Epson projector. This is based on my experience with Epson. This includes both quality of the picture and their customer service. I have nothing but good things to say about Epson....well maybe quality control but I have no problems with that because of their customer service.

If on the other hand someone was to ask my recommendation on a television I would steer them far away from Samsung. This is based on my experience with a 55" 3D TV I bought 2 years ago and with less than 300 hours on the TV ( You can read my rant about them in the television threads). If Sony or JVC is anything like Epson or like Samsung, I would like to know before I spend $5000+ on a projector.

I'm trying to get a sample and feel for how the people roaming the threads feel about these companies based on their experience. If I only get a small sample of people, so be it. It will still add weight toward my final decision.

Thanks again,
post #17 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I only get a small sample of people, so be it. It will still add weight toward my final decision.
Thanks again,

15 replies out of thousands of projectors out there is hardly a worthwhile sample that I would place any merit on.

You mention Samsung as a junk product. I have personally had a few different Samsung products in my home with absolutely no issues. So based on your opinion I should not buy a Samsung, but if someone asked me I'd recommend them wholeheartedly. See where I'm going here?

Achievement Unlocked

post #18 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Thanks for all the ones who shared their experience with their projectors. That's what I'm looking for. If any of my relatives or friends were looking to spend $2500 or less on a projector I would without hesitation recommend an Epson projector. This is based on my experience with Epson. This includes both quality of the picture and their customer service. I have nothing but good things to say about Epson....well maybe quality control but I have no problems with that because of their customer service.
If on the other hand someone was to ask my recommendation on a television I would steer them far away from Samsung. This is based on my experience with a 55" 3D TV I bought 2 years ago and with less than 300 hours on the TV ( You can read my rant about them in the television threads). If Sony or JVC is anything like Epson or like Samsung, I would like to know before I spend $5000+ on a projector.
I'm trying to get a sample and feel for how the people roaming the threads feel about these companies based on their experience. If I only get a small sample of people, so be it. It will still add weight toward my final decision.
Thanks again,

I ask questions on owner's threads lot and they get over looked most of the time. The only way to really ask a question is to make a thread so its out there. More people will see it this way. So, I see no problem with not asking this question on an owner's thread. Plus, its a forum. I wish I would have asked more question before I spent $2500 on my first projector. A couple responses from owners are better than guesses from people who don't own the projectors
post #19 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I ask questions on owner's threads lot and they get over looked most of the time. The only way to really ask a question is to make a thread so its out there. More people will see it this way. So, I see no problem with not asking this question on an owner's thread. Plus, its a forum. I wish I would have asked more question before I spent $2500 on my first projector. A couple responses from owners are better than guesses from people who don't own the projectors

While I agree, most information has to be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of people pass off information they have heard/read as first hand knowledge.
And secondly, we run into the scenario I posed above. People who own xyz are going to be blatantly biased towards it. Some people, such as the gentleman who was on here complaining a couple weeks ago about the problem with his RS55, lump the whole brand into one bad experience.

The owners thread is going to be the best information out there. Some people are just too lazy to search through it. wink.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #20 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mmmmm..Breast milk over frosted flakes the best. I like it when my grandma has a baby

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #21 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Crabalocker, they are very similar in customer service and build quality.

As I offered before I need to know more about your room / screen / seating distance / uses (gaming / movies / tv / sports / 3D super important)

They are both great projectors. You probably would love either.

I am probably one of the most unbiased on the forum, so I could help you, but I need the info....

Help me, Help you... Haha biggrin.gif
post #22 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've had the Pioneer FPJ1 which was a JVC projector with Pioneer's name brand that I owned for 2 years and never had any issues with it and it was very reliable in the short time that I owned it. No issues at all but I only had under 700 hours on it. I presently own an RS45 (for near a year) and only a few minor HDMI handshake issues with one early lockup but otherwise no issues. I only have less than 300 hours on the bulb.

I've never called JVC for any issues however since I've never really had any issues.

I too am deciding between the Sony/JVC (HW50, VW95, and the RS46) and from my experience and all I've read both companies seem fairly reliable with the exception of the blemishes from JVC's bulbs in the 2011 models.

My personal opinion is (with the exception of the 2010 series with the RS40 and others) that both companies seem to be reliable enough that I would base my purchase off of the projectors itself. However I don't have much faith in JVC and 3D right now. Their 2D is top notch but currently quality isn't a word that's typically used when JVC and 3D are mentioned in the same sentence so that's something to keep in mind.

That's my 2 cents. Hope that helps.
post #23 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It does help, thanks xb1032.

SOWK,

Either will work for my needs. I'm looking for company reliability and customer satisfaction. Right now I have an Espon 8500Ub, 8350 and a BenQ W7000 lighting up a 153" Seymour Xd screen. My room is a fairly big multipurpose rec-room/living room/theater. It's our main TV. I currently use the W7000 for TV, sports, 3D and video games. My wife doesn't like to watch regular TV in the dark and the W7000 is awesome with ambient light.

Why I am interested in the HW50 or X55:

The bulb on my 8500Ub needs replacing so instead of investing in a new lamp I'm going to invest the money towards a new projector. I was going to get the new 5020 but I am now considering taking a leap to the next level and get either the Sony HW50 or the new JVC x55 when it hits the shelves here in a couple of weeks. I've been reading a lot about the lcos projectors having a more 'cinematic' quality to the image and are a step above the LCD's. This new projector will be used for 2D movie watching in low to no light.

The HW50 will be brighter in best mode than the X55 but both will be a brightness upgrade over my 8500Ub, which has no problem lighting my screen. I know the JVC will have a better image, from what I have read but I am now trying to get a feel for how each company stands behind their product...like Epson does.

Here are a couple of shots of my room:

Bass addict,

You do type with an air of arrogance. If you mean to or not??? Only you know if you do but you do come across as if you do...to me. Maybe you think you're funny???

Anyway, if you have any good advice to offer, thanks I do appreciate it.
post #24 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Most of the praises from JVC come from contrast/black levels and with your white ceiling and the wood floor I wonder if the added reflections could negate some of that benefit.
post #25 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea I wonder that too. The ceiling above the projector for the first 5 or so feet is a flat dark brown and the wall to the right of the projector, 5 or so feet, is also the dark flat brown. The floor I could put a dark carpet in front to stop the reflection and I could paint the rest of the ceiling from my seating area to the brown painted ceiling as well.

post #26 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The companies are both decent at customer service. I would probably recommend the JVC if you are keeping the benQ.

You will like the picture quality more and it's a better build then the hw50 in my books.
post #27 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks SOWK. By the way, your room looks killer!
post #28 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Liked: 11
I just parted with my dedicated theater and JVC HD250 and I loved it! I had zero quality issues with mine. The only minor complaint I could contend is the motion on it. It wasn't a deal breaker for me because everything else about the image quality was great. My brother originally bought an Epson 8700 and had it replaced 3 times for dust blobs and light leakage before "upgrading" to a JVC RS20. I know there is no way he'd switch out of a JVC.
With that said I'm on the preorder for the RS46, and my only concern is whether the 3D will be tolerable or not because I have no doubt the 2D quality will be unparalleled for the price. I would love for the Mits 8000 to be a world beater though for contrast, motion, and 3d. I'd snatch it in a heartbeat if so!
post #29 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
I just moved away from an Epson 1080UB to JVC. The Epson had a major failure ($1200 repair estimate) at only 800 hours on the machine. I made a few phone calls to Epson's CS and technical support knowing I was out of warranty but feeling like a $2800 projector should last more than 800 hours. The best they'd do for me was throw in an extra bulb if I bought a new machine. I know other people rave about their support but that certainly wasn't my experience.

So tonight I was able to mount and connect a B stock JVS RS40 that just arrived from AVS. I took a peek at the lamp first thing to discover it's a brand new 003 series with zero hours on it. I made huge gains in sharpness and consistently high contrast ratios instead of the sluggish auto iris in the 1080UB, which was the root of the Epson's mechanical failure. AVS is willing to help sort out any issues if the lamp has a premature failure but most owners are reporting good things about the 003 series bulbs. Right now I'm feeling really happy with my move from Epson to JVC.
post #30 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds good. I think I'm leaning towards the X55.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page