Not projecting on top and bottom of screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stupid question but this is my first projector. (panasonic AE8000) and for the last 3 hours I have been trying to setup to display properly on my 65X116 (133) screen. I have the sides almost perfect but on the top and bottom I have about 2" of screen space with no image showing here on 16:9 movies.

Can someone tell me the simple setting I am missing to properly fill in the top and bottom of the screen?

Thanks

JOE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like the screen you have isn't native 16:9 ratio. Might want to check the box. Also, check to see if you have the keystone correction on/off
post #3 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
116/65=1.784615384615385
16/9=1.777777777777778
Yep that is your problem.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I reckon the problem is that the '16:9' movie you are watching is probably 1.85:1 so there will always be a small amount of black bars on a 16:9 screen with these discs. In fact I don't know that I've seen many (any?) DVDs or BluRays that are 1.78:1 though I'm sure someone will now find a link to prove me wrong. biggrin.gif

Is there a variable masking control on the AE8000? I have a similar issue with my 2.35:1 screen so I tend to overshoot the sides so that the screen is full, then I trim off the small overshoot on the sides using my Lumagen video processor. I notice that the new JVC X35/RS46, etc allows custom masking in one menu, so wondered if the Panny does as well? Might be preferable to having small black bars, but it's a personal choice.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #5 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Cmcjo-
When you show your pj test pattern does that fill your screen or also same issue?

post #6 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey thanks everyone.
I fell asleep with the remote in my hand under the stars lol

I am going to try this again now but I think the test patterns shows something different and as far as the black bars I can't find any movie to fill the screen top and bottom without overshooting the sides. Sounds like maybe overshooting the sides and masking them is the way to go??

Thanks

JOE
post #7 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuteronomy31:6 View Post

It sounds like the screen you have isn't native 16:9 ratio. Might want to check the box. Also, check to see if you have the keystone correction on/off

Its a 65x116 da-lite fixed screen and I have mostly DVD's but have been building my Blu-ray collection up lately.

JOE
post #8 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcjo View Post

Hey thanks everyone.
I fell asleep with the remote in my hand under the stars lol

I am going to try this again now but I think the test patterns shows something different and as far as the black bars I can't find any movie to fill the screen top and bottom without overshooting the sides. Sounds like maybe overshooting the sides and masking them is the way to go??

Thanks

The movie "Blindside" will fill the screen on a blu ray.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is blindside on my screen.I have not done any masking, horizontal, vertical or keystone correction
On the bottom right, the image touches the bottom. On the bottom left there is 1" of space.
ON the top there is a 2" space
On the right side image is 1/2" off the side
ON the left side at the top there is 3/4" and at the bottom 1/4"
On the right side there is about 3/4" gap all the way from top to bottom. at the top there is

test pattern 1

test 2

JOE
post #10 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

The movie "Blindside" will fill the screen on a blu ray.
Hi
as you can see from my test patterns, the image appears at the top of the screen. However from the blindside shot you can see a 2" space.
Could be an issue with the projector you think?

Actually this is blindside DVD in 1:78 format. Is that different from bluray?

JOE
post #11 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The projector isnt perfectly aligned with the screen.

Bill
post #12 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HI Bill thanks.
but what about the entire right side and top is aligned with the screen. If 2 sides are not aligned then wouldnt all sides be the same?

The projector is level on the ceiling. the lens is 3" down from the top of the screen. the center of the lens is 3" off center of screen.

JOE
post #13 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with bill seems not exactly level in all directions.
Even a little off matters, I used a laser shooting beam to dial my pj, shoot it on the walls, measure down from ceiling.
Since I built my ht was anal about plum & true walls ceiling.

Good luck.

post #14 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also, what type of cable are you using. HDMI adjust automatically but if you have components,DVI,RGB that's a different story. I forgot what mode it was but I'm pretty sure you can change the aspect ratio or screen adjustment with non-HDMI such as my HTPC with RGB/DVI. But I do not have a Panny. Also make sure the projector is lined up to the top of the screen. If all else fail, just use the spillage to the velvet on the screen frame. You may lose 1" on both sides but that will not make too much of a difference. I actually have about 1/3" spillage on both sides for some reason and don't really bother me at all.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is blindside on my screen.I have not done any masking, horizontal, vertical or keystone correction
On the bottom right, the image touches the bottom. On the bottom left there is 1" of space.
ON the top there is a 2" space
On the right side image is 1/2" off the side
ON the left side at the top there is 3/4" and at the bottom 1/4"
On the right side there is about 3/4" gap all the way from top to bottom. at the top there is

I think you need to turn the projector slightly to the right, then adjust the lens shift to put the picture back on to the screen. You may also have to do something similar with the tilt. I find it best to zoom the image smaller than the screen while doing this, twist and tilt the projector and keep using the lens shift until you get an image that is a perfect rectangle with an even gap all round, then just zoom until the screen is filled.

Once done there will still be many films that won't fill the screen height (though if you view from a TV tuner/satellite box, most of regular broadcasts probably will). For those 1.85:1 films you have to decide whether you can ignore the small black bars or whether to zoom to fill the height and then crop the sides (if this is an option). As you have a projector with lens memory, there is also the option to set a '1.85:1' memory that will shift the image down so that you have one single black bar at the top only, which some find less objectionable.

post #16 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I think you need to turn the projector slightly to the right, then adjust the lens shift to put the picture back on to the screen. You may also have to do something similar with the tilt. I find it best to zoom the image smaller than the screen while doing this, twist and tilt the projector and keep using the lens shift until you get an image that is a perfect rectangle with an even gap all round, then just zoom until the screen is filled.
Once done there will still be many films that won't fill the screen height (though if you view from a TV tuner/satellite box, most of regular broadcasts probably will). For those 1.85:1 films you have to decide whether you can ignore the small black bars or whether to zoom to fill the height and then crop the sides (if this is an option). As you have a projector with lens memory, there is also the option to set a '1.85:1' memory that will shift the image down so that you have one single black bar at the top only, which some find less objectionable.

OK I am going to make some adjustments to the projector. Thanks for the replies

JOE
post #17 of 20 Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Once done there will still be many films that won't fill.

I agree, that way its easy to see as you make changes.

Bill
post #18 of 20 Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey the out of level picture is now fixed, thanks!. it needed to go slightly to the left though but thats the lens looking at the screen. (maybe what you meant?)

JOE
post #19 of 20 Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey the out of level picture is now fixed, thanks!. it needed to go slightly to the left though but thats the lens looking at the screen. (maybe what you meant?)

It's one of those things I can do easier than explain, so I probably got my right and left mixed up. biggrin.gif Main thing is you got the message and it's worked. Enjoy the projector. cool.gif

post #20 of 20 Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Glad you got it sorted out smile.gif

Bill
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page