Replacement Projector for my set up, please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's time for me to replace my Infocus 7205. Was great in it's day. It has been a great 8 years and I have contemplated an upgrade for a couple of years. The projector is finally acting up so it is forcing me to.

My theater gets around 800 hours of use a year with the following content:
70% Broadcast HDTV over Satellite. (various programming including about 20% sports)
30% Movies either Blueray or DVD. Probably about 10% of the movies are animated Disney / Pixar type.

My Screen is 110" Stewart Firehawk. It was a good pairing with the Infocus and a lot of the watching has ambient light which the Firehawk seems to help out with. The ambient light is usually when watching the Broadcast HDTV, especially sports. (I don't really want to have to shut the lights off when I have some buddies over watching NFL, so they are only dimmed to a reasonable amount). A higher lumen projector when calibrated is important to me as this isn't a dedicated, blackened, theater room. Movie watching would be almost exclusively 2D although I am warming up to 3d.

My Blueray player is an OPPO. A/V receiver is now a Denon 3312. Primary seating is 13ft from the 110"screen and some of the side seating is closer. Projector is ceiling mounted and the room is 20 feet deep and top of the screen is about 12" from the ceiling so I have quite a bit of placement flexibility.

I have done a lot of reading, especially Zombie's shootout threads. I have to admit I always thought I would want DLP for the sharpness. Have even considered buying a lightly used Infocus 8602 if I could find one. I was looking at the Benq W7000 although there appears from reading the forum that a lot of owners are having quality issues with them which is certaining giving me pause. The new Sony HW50 is now really intriguing me with use of some the built in RC or perhalps even some Darby. OK, based on above what are some educated suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm Jeff and I approve this message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
All projectors will have quality issues if you read theses forums:)
Our watching habits sound similar. I've gotten that I'm watching more and more HDTV. I got the Benq w7000. Can't beat it for tv. Especially sports. I'll see how the new JVC shake out later if I decide to watch more movies.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus Sp 7205 Dlp Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page