JVC X30 + Xpand 104 my best 3D settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As an owner of the JVC X30 (Euro model) for a year now I've always tried to lessen the 3D crosstalk. At the factory settings crosstalk was visible, although my unit worked not bad at all, colors were wrong and image had an oversharpened appearence... Since I got the Xpand 104's I kept trying and following some tips on the web and my own trial and error essais I've now found some settings that're very satisfying for me. Colors look true, images are natural and not oversharpened and, most important, ghosting is minimal. Black on white ghosting is so slight as to not be an issue for me anymore. As each projector may have a different behaviour my settings are only a guide and a starting point. Again I combined these settings with the Xpand 104 (see screen capture below) and a Darbee at 47% (Green). My bulb has 700 hours on it. Hope this helps.

Ruben

3D
Picture Mode: User
Color Profile: Standard
Color Temp.: 6000K
Gamma: Normal
Dark/Bright Level: 0/0
Picture Tone: 0 (all)
Contrast: +5
Brightness: -4
Color: 0
Tint: 0

Advanced

•Crosstalk Cancel/ 3D Setting/ White: -3
•NR: 0 (all)
•Lens Aperture: 0
•Lamp Power: High
•HDMI Input: Enhanced
•Black Level (Installation menu): 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Can you be more specific as to your proposed open and close settings (how many clicks from default position), instead of relying solely on the pictures? wink.gif

Seems like these settings would result in an overall pretty dim picture (no?).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #3 of 13 Old 11-24-2012, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

The Xpand interface is not very precise, I put a screen capture as a reference, as a rough reference, but you should somewhat customize your settings a little... With my settings I find the 3D image bright enough but certainly it is not as bright as the default 3D mode, it is a trade off for ghost free result.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubento View Post

The Xpand interface is not very precise, I put a screen capture as a reference, as a rough reference, but you should somewhat customize your settings a little... With my settings I find the 3D image bright enough but certainly it is not as bright as the default 3D mode, it is a trade off for ghost free result.

thanks for posting this info. I was trying to adjust the 104's last night on my RS55. Can you adjust the sliders in real time while the glasses are activated?

I was having a tough time finding a way to do this. When the glasses were activated, the software didn't see the glasses. When I had the glasses off, the software sliders were available, but it wasn't clear how you 'save the settings'.

any advice here is appreciated, thanks!
post #5 of 13 Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Zombie, the Xpands are not easy to tune. Real time adjustments are a no go. You have to plug the glasses to your PC, move the sliders to the desired position, unplug (the setting is saved on the glasses without any extra step), turn them on and see the effect... I must say the truly positive effect on ghosting relies not only on the Xpand 104s but when the JVC custom settings on the first post are used too.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Hi, thanks for clarifying how the software works, I didn't see an obvious way of saving the changes. It's an oversight that they didn't provide #'s on the slider scale.

What settings do you think made a difference? They all seem relatively normal except the crosstalk cancel @ -3. This setting didn't seem to have any effect on the 3D ghosting with the various glasses i've tried before (Xpand 103, 104, MV3D).

I'm going to try again later, I have a number of difficult 3D scenes that would be obvious if there was a noticeable improvement.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

The sum of all settings made for natural not oversharpened images and less ghosting, I'm not an expert but it works nicely. Try to see if it works for you.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it. I adjusted my sliders to match yours. I'll adjust the RS45 settings as well.

Any thoughts on adjusting the glasses to convert 3D to 2D? I tried pushing the sliders in opposite directions but it just essentially gave me appearance of the screen when you aren't wearing glasses at all.
I think Panasonic's option of a 3D to 2D setting is smart for family members who want to be in on the show but don't like 3D. I'd like to see Xpand add an option for that; hopefully with a software/firmware setting.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 AM

yeah, i agree it, This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it. I adjusted my sliders to match yours. I'll adjust the RS45 settings as well.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM

good idea, This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it. I adjusted my sliders to match yours. I'll adjust the RS45 settings as well.1.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure about it (never tried it myself) but i think xpand added such option (3D to 2D) in the latest firmware update... I believe you have to press power button twice quickly and... voila!
post #12 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried rubento's settings on Avatar and it looks great. Now I need to try it on a film that is generally accepted as harder for a projector to manage.

I emailed Xpand and they wrote back that there is no way to do 3D to 2D. I did that before asking the question in this thread. I tried the rapid button hit while looking at the 3D screen and it works. Xpand needs to get their tech representatives up to speed...
post #13 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Glad it worked for you! Hope you enjoy 3D on the JVC better now.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Xpand X104lx1 Youniversal 3d Glasses Large Blue
Gear in this thread - X104lx1 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page