Changing out of a JVC X-90 - To what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I am using a JVC X-90 with a 168 diagonal Stewart Grey screen. The projector is about 12' from the screen. This projector is an upgrade from an RS1, so I have now been using JVC DILA for 5-6 years. Earlier I had a Sim2 and even earlier a Seleco CRT, but those are now old memories. My room is a 90% cave and I mostly watch at night anyway. 3D is a desirable but not a mandatory add-on for me.

I am now finding the image brightness lower that I need. In fact I always found it less bright than what I would have liked but have put up with it. Mainly because brighter projectors of quality (Sim2, Runco) are well beyond my budget. However I am seeing articles that imply that Epsons, Optomas etc. are delivering great picture but with considerable brightness.

I wanted the opinion of the forum whether this is indeed true and whether there are devices out there in the price range of the JVC that deliver a good picture with substantially greater brightness.

Thanks

Shankar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 302
It sounds to me this issue is more screen related than anything. You may be better off getting a new higher gain screen. There's no need to have a grey screen when matching it with a JVC projector. Try looking into Stewarts Studiotek 130 screen material. Higher gain is the way to go. I have a High Power Da-Lite screen and the extra brightness it gives really helps the overall PQ on my Marantz.

The Epson's and Optoma's will not match the PQ of the x90. Many will tell you it won't even be close. The only other projector choice would be to go to a Sim2 or Runco, but like you said, they are out of you price range. I would call Mike at AVScience. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction on which screen would fit your scenario best.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #3 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the idea that screen may be the culprit. Let me investigate the possibility, and if anyone else has thoughts on an appropriate screen would love to hear.

Shankar
post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM

168 Diag? From 12 feet away? Is that possible with your projector?

Either way, a smaller screen size might help with brightness.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry 128" not 168". You are right that 168" requires a longer throw distance.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Hahaha, that's a huge difference in screen size. I'm curious, how many hours do you have on the JVC? I ask because the last few generations are known to have a notorious problem with the bulbs. They degrade at such a fast rate and many lose over 50% brightness after only a few hundred hours. If this is the case, speak with your dealer as JVC is selling a new revision of the bulb that's supposed to last quite a bit longer. If it's a newer bulb and you still think it's not very bright you may want to check out a different screen material with higher gain, think about a smaller screen, or another projector. The latter being the last resort in my opinion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page