Panasonic ae8000 3d only experience tips - AVS Forum
1 2 
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Panasonic ae8000 3d only experience tips
jhunt17's Avatar jhunt17 10:49 AM 11-25-2012
I would like to have a 3d only section here since the actual thread is such a hodge mess of topics. Anyway please post user experiences, settings and tips for all to make their 3d experience more enjoyable. Please only post about 3d experience. Thanks

twobeer's Avatar twobeer 03:18 PM 11-25-2012
I got one this weekend, and was very dissapointed in the 3d ghosting with the std. glasses. Now I am considering to replace it with a HW50 or ad a benq7000 for 3d, as i heard only good things about it in terms of 3d perofrmance..

I would be curious if there could be some faulty ex. or if the glasses could have been bad (I only bought one pair to begin with)..

Aren't the new Pana supposed to be good at 3D?? It was almost as much crosstalk as my X3 and seemed to be almost in all scenes!!
jhunt17's Avatar jhunt17 05:37 PM 11-25-2012
I will have mine sometime next week so I will post about it then. Are you running your 3d thru your onkyo. I noticed trusted reviews had an issue with 3d thru their onkyo so I wonder what your 3d would look like running straight to the projector from your bluray player.
vikashc's Avatar vikashc 06:31 AM 11-26-2012
I have no issues with the 3D at all.
no ghosting or cross talk at all on 3d BD.
Great unit.
My samsung 3D TV had a lot of ghosting...and the projector has none.
Cheers
GenJuro's Avatar GenJuro 08:52 AM 11-26-2012
I'd love to know about ghosting too, ESPECIALLY FOR 3D GAMING WITH PC, because it would be a serious deal breaker for me...
jhunt17's Avatar jhunt17 11:12 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikashc View Post

I have no issues with the 3D at all.
no ghosting or cross talk at all on 3d BD.
Great unit.
My samsung 3D TV had a lot of ghosting...and the projector has none.
Cheers

What is your setup so we can maybe figure out why some have terrible experiences and others do not. What is your bluray player, receiver, and settings? I'm hoping to find out what components are good and not so good with the projector
David Sal's Avatar David Sal 11:41 AM 11-26-2012
I have Denon 2312 receiver and Sony bd. Panasonic glasses. I see ghosting only on titles and minimal. The only instance I saw distracting crosstalk was after changing the glasses settings on the projector to see how the dark and light settings. After I put it back to normal, there were more crosstalk. The next time I used the pj it was fine again.
twobeer's Avatar twobeer 01:51 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt17 View Post

I will have mine sometime next week so I will post about it then. Are you running your 3d thru your onkyo. I noticed trusted reviews had an issue with 3d thru their onkyo so I wonder what your 3d would look like running straight to the projector from your bluray player.

No, when going trough the onkyo with my edid fixes I was not able to get any 3D picture at all, just bluescrren. I had to directly connect PS3 and PC (ATI card) to get 3d to work at all on the Panasonic.
bdfanatic's Avatar bdfanatic 12:11 AM 11-27-2012
Twobeer, is your Onkyo is 3D capable (HDMI 1.4)?

In regards to your PS3, you might have to readjust video display settings. To do this, make sure it's on standby (with red light), then hold down the power button till you hear the second beep. After that, you can go through some steps (select automatic) to get the best possible video/audio settings for your setup. If everything in your setup (e.g. cable, receiver, monitor, etc..) are 3D capable, your PS3 will display a screen asking to select what size your TV. If you do not get this screen, then your PS3 won't be able to display 3D images; it will display 3D content as 2D.

Also, manually selecting "2D to 3D" conversion settings through your Panasonic projector is not the appropriate 3D image intended; I've seen bad crosstalk/ghosting whenever using this option on other TVs. This is the same for PCs if you "force" convert a 2D image to 3D.
vikashc's Avatar vikashc 10:12 AM 11-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt17 View Post

What is your setup so we can maybe figure out why some have terrible experiences and others do not. What is your bluray player, receiver, and settings? I'm hoping to find out what components are good and not so good with the projector

Hello buddy,
My player is a Panasonic 210 BDT. ( I don't have the box any longer. Thats the best I can recall the model number,)
I have a Yamaha Receiver.
Settings, I switch between Normal and Cinema 1 based on the movie .
I have watched a lot of 3D Blu rays with this setup- Imax BDs, and a few animated movies and definitely all the 3D movies released on BD.
I did see some ghosting on the Olympics Opening Ceremony with my Mede8er 1000X3D media player. Then some one on this forum told me that Half SBS material is prone to ghosting and cross talk.
And he was right.

I have not noticed more than 1-2 secs of ghosting in some movies and no ghosting in other 3D BD's.

Oh yes, my glasses are set to normal.

I have a 47 inches Samsung 3D LED and I notice ghosting and a lot of it, on almost all the titles I have watch on it.

Does this info help you?
Cheers
jhunt17's Avatar jhunt17 08:23 PM 11-29-2012
I have now had my projector for a couple days and I have to say my worries about 3d are completely gone. Yesterday I ran it through the ps3 and rarely if ever saw a ghost. I watched scenes from avengers to IMAX under the sea and was very happy with the results. I saw ghosting only on the letters at the beginning of the IMAX. Today I hooked it up to the bd210 I have and never saw any ghosting at all. Granted I didn't put the IMAX movie in yet but everything I watched today, parts of tangled, lion king and even 2d to 3d conversion has been good. I am using the Panasonic glasses and I am very pleased with it. So my guess is if you are having problems with 3d it is most likely a bad component in your chain.
vikashc's Avatar vikashc 12:49 AM 11-30-2012
Great to hear.
Welcome to the happy owners club mate.
Enjoy.
jhunt17's Avatar jhunt17 03:22 PM 12-05-2012
I have to say that the more I watch the more I like this projector. I have been very pleased with the 3d and it doesn't seem to be bad for gaming. I played MLB 11 and it is very playable. I have also come to like the 3d conversion as well. It definitely works and gives more depth but it isn't the same as an actual 3d bluray. Has anyone out there come up with some settings that work great for 3d? My setup is a panny 220 I think with an onkyo 809 and this combination to my eyes has been very nice. my onkyo is set to direct for video and my glasses are set to light. I.have also used the monster vision glasses as well and they seem to work just as well as the Panasonic ed3 glasses I have. I really like the panny glasses. They are very comfortable.
Connor52's Avatar Connor52 02:04 AM 12-08-2012
Does anyone know if it is possible to vertically stretch 3D content using the ae8000 vertical stretch mode for use with anamorphic lens?
Frooze's Avatar Frooze 06:20 PM 01-04-2013
Hello everyone

I have recently purchased a AE8000 with 2 TY-EW3D3M active shutter glasses. I am incredibly happy with this machine except for the 3D output. In my case, i get severe double images when watching 3D movies or playing 3D games. I can temporarily fix the issue when playing with the Mode settings on the 3d Viewing Monitor but the double images reappear in the next scene. I have purchased the movie "Brave" for 3D on blu ray but the movie and especially the menu itself were unbearable to watch. I have played with all settings possible on my projector and Playstation 3, changing the size of the image, brightness etc. but to no avail. Thinking that it might be the PS3, i reluctantly downloaded a copy of the movie and watched it on my MacMini but to no avail. I also looked at some 3d Trailers and the same problem persists.

Could it be a sync problem between the projector and the glasses?
Or maybe bad HDMI cables? (not sure if they are standard or high speed) I have purchased a new high speed cable but it made no difference.
Or maybe my unit is defect? frown.gif
bdfanatic's Avatar bdfanatic 07:16 PM 01-05-2013
The focus is kinda tricky on this projector and if you're focus is slightly off, then it affects the 3D performance.

I initially used the grids that displayed when manually focusing through the projector menus, which seemed absolutely fine but every time I watched something in 2D, the image looked slightly soft. And it would really be difficult for an average viewer to tell, but I work with blu-rays daily so I have a keen eye for picture detail.

Anyways, I skipped the girds and finally used an actual 2D image to focus on (e.g. I used the 2D Columbia logo from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to set my focus). And when I set the focus on that, I noticed that in the focus menu, one button press (for focus) in either direction (from the correct focus position), the focus is off slightly; there is no leeway.

When I finally got my projector perfectly focused, I noticed there was a dramatic improvement in 3D: noticeably less crosstalk, the 3D depth looked better, brighter image, and also, strangely, the 3D image looked sharper than 2D. Before, I was a little disappointed b/c I was getting an unusual amount of crosstalk and the image looked too dim and I thought that was just how the projector was, but now that it's focused correctly, it looks amazing. And projecting at 119" vs. viewing 3D on a 50" plasma, is like night and day. smile.gif
Frooze's Avatar Frooze 11:08 AM 01-06-2013
Hi bdfanatic!

Thank you for your input! I do not seem to have a problem with the focus. However, i've turned the lamp to "Eco mode" and that seems to ameliorate the problem! There is still some crosstalk/ghosting and the main menu of Brave remains a bit off but overall the movie is now watchable and the quality satisfactory. Truth be told, i'm not sure how sharp a 3d movie is supposed to look like but this is definitely better than my local cinemas!
jhunt17's Avatar jhunt17 11:39 AM 01-07-2013
Yesterday I was playing around and found a 3d setup on some of the disney 3d blurays. I found one on the brave disk. Anyway one of the tests are for crosstalk for left and right eye. From playing around I found that reducing crosstalk and ghosting is about leaving it ECO mode first off and then lowering your contrast settings and increasing your brightness seems to fix most of it. Obviously you will have to have some type of trade off because if you lower contrast so far to the point it upsets picture quality you have to back down a bit. Doing this seemed to fix most issues for me. I plan on playing around some more with other settings and seeing what that does.
jhunt17's Avatar jhunt17 12:39 PM 01-07-2013
Forgot to mention that I had superwhite on as well to get the best results it seemed.
bdfanatic's Avatar bdfanatic 01:53 PM 01-07-2013
No prob, Frooze smile.gif Btw, sometimes menus and even subtitles are not properly made in 3D, i.e. they're usually 2D menus that are authored to "display" in 3D when in 3D mode (if that make sense). That type of 3D for subs and menus cause a lot of crosstalk depending on what type of 3D tech you're using, e.g. active vs. passive, etc.

Btw, you should also try "Dynamic" mode, that seems to also reduce any slight crosstalk b/c it gives more "line" and "edge" definition, but using dynamic can also overblow some of the colors and give to much sharpness depending on what type of movie you're viewing. smile.gif
purbeast's Avatar purbeast 07:56 PM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frooze View Post

Hello everyone

I have recently purchased a AE8000 with 2 TY-EW3D3M active shutter glasses. I am incredibly happy with this machine except for the 3D output. In my case, i get severe double images when watching 3D movies or playing 3D games. I can temporarily fix the issue when playing with the Mode settings on the 3d Viewing Monitor but the double images reappear in the next scene. I have purchased the movie "Brave" for 3D on blu ray but the movie and especially the menu itself were unbearable to watch. I have played with all settings possible on my projector and Playstation 3, changing the size of the image, brightness etc. but to no avail. Thinking that it might be the PS3, i reluctantly downloaded a copy of the movie and watched it on my MacMini but to no avail. I also looked at some 3d Trailers and the same problem persists.

Could it be a sync problem between the projector and the glasses?
Or maybe bad HDMI cables? (not sure if they are standard or high speed) I have purchased a new high speed cable but it made no difference.
Or maybe my unit is defect? frown.gif

This actually sounds like the exact issue I am having and trying to figure it out. I know it's not my AVR because I hooked my 8000 directly to my bluray player (Sony S5100) and am still seeing the issue.

I was previously using a PS3 and getting the same exact problems.

Looking for any help to try and figure this out, or if I just have a bad unit.

I was testing with the Jurassic Park 3D title screen. The actual menu is very bad with crosstalk, but also the scenes running in the background, especially the one they drive under the big JURASSIC PARK sign going through the gate, the crosstalk there is REALLY bad. Some of the scenes seem fine during the title screen, but some are really bad like that one.

Any ideas?
DXR313's Avatar DXR313 01:42 AM 12-27-2013
was your issue fixed? did you turn on the internal transmitter? I've had mine for a week and I love it lol
rayians's Avatar rayians 12:49 PM 01-17-2014
I recently purchased a PT-AE8000U and absolutely love it. I am however having some issues with 3D crosstalk. It is only under specific circumstances. There is a double image in the left eye only, and it only happens on images that are intended to appear extremely close. It usually happens only a few times per movie.

I will give you some background on my system. Besides the obvious projector, I have an Oppo BDP-103 blu ray player, Onkyo TX-NR3010 receiver, plus a home theater PC which I back up and play 3D movies through. All HDMI cables are high speed and very good quality. Everything runs into the receiver and is output to the projector.

The crosstalk issue is identical whether I play a movie through the blu ray player or PC. I have even ran an HDMI from the blu ray player directly into the projector and had the exact same crosstalk issue. The blu ray player and the program on the pc to play movies both have a setting to adjust the depth of the 3D, and they are both turned all the way down. I have even paused what I feel to be a very high crosstalk image and went through every single setting on the projector and changed it to see if it would make a difference. The only thing that changed it was 3d viewing monitor. However to adjust it to the point that the crosstalk on close images is eliminated, crosstalk on average depth images becomes much more prominent and overall I have a much worse picture.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate your input.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu 03:29 PM 01-18-2014
If you have an adjustment in your projector menu (like the Epsons' have) to change the brightness of the glasses then lower it and see if that helps. I firmly believe that there are differences between the same model of projector when it comes to 3D -- some people get lucky and get a good one and others are unlucky. Also some people are more sensitive to ghosting and they are really bothered by it (like me). If you can't find a solution and you like 3D you may have to do what a lot of people on this forum have done and buy a DLP for 3D only duties. All the reviewers tell you that these projectors handle 3D with next to no issues -- it's just not true. Ghosting in the foreground is one thing (and really annoying); however, once you become sensitive to background ghosting it's time to throw in the towel and get a DLP.

Side by side 3D material shows no ghosting on a DLP. The problem is with the projector technology. Only DLP can refresh fast enough to avoid ghosting. Don't shoot the messenger. biggrin.gif
rayians's Avatar rayians 08:19 AM 01-19-2014
There is a setting to make the glasses lighter or darker but this does not change the situation at all. I've messed with every single setting on the projector, even ones that would make no sense to cause the problem, but I wanted to leave no stone unturned. It baffles me that the issue is only in the left eye. I think there is something misaligned internally. I contacted Panasonic's tech department and the guy I was dealing with knew significantly less than me and offered solutions that made no sense at all. I may end up taking it to a service center to see if they can find something internally.
Deja Vu's Avatar Deja Vu 08:35 AM 01-19-2014
I would guess you have the same problem when using a different pair of glasses (Panasonic glasses?). Have you tried a different brand of glasses. I think the Panny uses IR glasses and the $15.00 Sony PS3 3D glasses may work. Why not try a pair and eliminate the possibility the problem may be with the glasses. If it's not with the glasses then it's time to send it to the repair facility and hope it's something that can be fixed.
rayians's Avatar rayians 09:04 AM 01-19-2014
I only have Panasonic glasses, but I do have a set of two, so it's not one defective set causing the problem. I guess for that kind of money it's worth giving another set of glasses a shot, I truly do not want to send this out for service if at all possible.
iHomeAV's Avatar iHomeAV 06:12 AM 05-11-2014
For Panasonic AE8000, is the Optional accessory ET-TRM110 Required for viewing 3D content?

When I try to play any 3D dvd(eg: gravity) in my 3D DVD player (Panasonic DMP-BDT500), the projector keeps trying to sync (the input screen keeps flashing) but no image is displayed. BTW, no issues with watching 2D content.
wazbee's Avatar wazbee 08:02 PM 05-22-2014

Hi, are sony ps3 3d glasses compatible with the panasonic 8000 projector? Or can anyone reccomend a brand that will do the job as good or better than the panasonic glasses.

Thanks

cofn42's Avatar cofn42 06:47 PM 05-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazbee View Post

Hi, are sony ps3 3d glasses compatible with the panasonic 8000 projector? Or can anyone reccomend a brand that will do the job as good or better than the panasonic glasses.

Thanks

Yes, the Sony glasses work perfectly, just snagged 3 pair at BestBuy a couple weeks ago for $9.99 each
Tags: Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop