post #31 of 38 Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

It's actually .95" DC2 on the LS-3 and the .95" DC3 on the LS-5. Unless Runco has very recently changed this. Either way, both are very impressive machines. I'm a Planar PD8150 (aka LS-5) owner.

My bad, your right! I was wondering what is the ls1 using? Same chip as ls3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

My bad, your right! I was wondering what is the ls1 using? Same chip as ls3?

Don't quote me but I've heard rumors it's using the smaller .65" DMD, probably DC3.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #33 of 38 Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
What does the ls-10 use? From an earlier post I though .67" DMD but which chip?

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #34 of 38 Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

So I will work to find a demo of LS-10i to be sure. Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

I've had an LS-12d for the past two months and I'm loving it. As far as I understand, the LS-12d performs pretty much like an LS-10 with 3D capability. I can't point to any calibrated measurements or technical specifications to justify my impressions, but all I can say is that I don't see anything not to love. Usually when I look at any display devices (be it a front projector, LCD, DLP, Plasma or anything else) I can't help but fixate on the things they don't do well. It's hard not to obsess on the flaws/failures of any device and become distracted. When I look at a really great picture, my mind doesn't so much notice the "greatness" as it does the absence of any problems. I can definitely say there are no distractions when watching both 2D and 3D on the LS-12d. In my light-controlled dedicated theater (Chasen the Dream Theater) the picture is very bright, extremely sharp, and the colors are spot-on to my eye (on a 120" 16:9 Stewart Firehawk G3 Microperf screen) . I recently began throwing up every calibration disc and test pattern I could find trying to find something to tweak (for the sake of tweaking). Unfortunately/fortunately, other than very minor adjustments to brightness and contrast and a little focusing, I couldn't find anything else to "fix". I've never owned any display device that came so close to perfect out of the box. Of course the down side is that this robs me of the joy/agony of tweaking to perfection.

If it was in my power to change anything about the LS-12d, it would just be the price.smile.gif
post #35 of 38 Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Runco don't tend to publish exactly which chip so you probably won't get a definitive answer on this. You should definitely demo the LS-10 and take some Blu-Rays with dark scenes to the demo and see if the black level is OK for you. I doubt you will be dissappointed by it.
However, if you can find one, I'd try to hunt around for SIm2 Lumis Uno demo. The Lumis range all use 0.95" DC4 chips so the native contrast will be better than the 0.67" DC3 chips (probably what the LS-10 uses...) Plus, you get the other advantages of the larger chip size. I have seen at least one Uno advertised for under $20k. And if you don't need the lumens then the Sim2 M150 is definitely worth a demo (probably easier to find too), again uses the 0.95" DC4 chip and produces a fantastic picture.

post #36 of 38 Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

Thanks for the great feedback from everybody. I think the consensus is with my set up and desire for some ambient light flexibility I don’t think the single chip DLP or JVC's will work.
So I think it will be the Runco LS-10i or the Sony VW1000ES. Does anybody have any thoughts between the 2 units for my setup? 3D is not a big deal to me at all.
I have seen several posts talking about DLP's advantage in motion. As I demo the Sony what should I be looking for and what is DLP's advantage here?
I am not sure how accurate it is but the calc on projector central shows the Sony VW1000ES to be 10fL with my setup. That does not seem correct.
As far as other 3 chip DLP's go I have heard great things about the sim2 but isn't the msrp of the lumis uno 30K? Is this their entry level 3 chip?

So what did you end up with?
post #37 of 38 Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have not ordered it yet but I have decided on a Runco LS-10i with a CineSlide & Isco III lens. If I could only pick a pre/pro I will be ready to go!

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #38 of 38 Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Should be nice, enjoy!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP