Is the Epson 5020UB right for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have an Epson 8350 with almost 2K hours on the lamp and it's time for me to upgrade and jump in the world of 3D content.

I will be projecting onto a 140" diag., 1.0 gain, 16:9 screen from a distance of about 13'-7" on a rear shelf. According to the online calculator, this will yield 41 FL at that distance and screen size.

Would this be a good PJ for me in the $2,500 +- price range?

My theater is 100% light controlled and the wall behind the screen and ceilings are painted matte black with the walls painted dark burgundy.

What you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

I currently have an Epson 8350 with almost 2K hours on the lamp and it's time for me to upgrade and jump in the world of 3D content.
I will be projecting onto a 140" diag., 1.0 gain, 16:9 screen from a distance of about 13'-7" on a rear shelf. According to the online calculator, this will yield 41 FL at that distance and screen size.
My theater is 100% light controlled and the wall behind the screen and ceilings are painted matte black with the walls painted dark burgundy.
What you guys think?

Some thing is wrong. You will not get anything close to 41 FL with that screen size. It will be closer to half that number in high lamp short throw. 3D will be around 8.5 FL. Hard to light up a large low gain screen in 3D.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Quote:

What you guys think?

Some thing is wrong. You will not get anything close to 41 FL with that screen size. It will be closer to half that number in high lamp short throw. 3D will be around 8.5 FL. Hard to light up a large low gain screen in 3D.

My bad, it was a typo on my part. Here are the correct numbers according to the projector central calculator:

132" diag 16:9 image
13'- 7" throw distance
2.03x zoom
1.0 gain
42 FL

That is what the calculator is saying.

- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:

My bad, it was a typo on my part. Here are the correct numbers according to the projector central calculator:
132" diag 16:9 image
13'- 7" throw distance
2.03x zoom
1.0 gain
42 FL
That is what the calculator is saying.
- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.

I agree that is what the calculator on projector Central gives you. I am just telling you that is not what to expect. it takes 2,200 lumens to give you 42 FL for that size and gain screen (132" 1.0 gain). In your setup I would expect 1,200 to 1,300 lumens max and still be able to throw a decent image. This is not best mode lumens. Best mode is not bright enough. With 1,200 lumens, you are looking at 23 FL.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I agree that is what the calculator on projector Central gives you. I am just telling you that is not what to expect. it takes 2,200 lumens to give you 42 FL for that size and gain screen (132" 1.0 gain). In your setup I would expect 1,200 to 1,300 lumens max and still be able to throw a decent image. This is not best mode lumens. Best mode is not bright enough. With 1,200 lumens, you are looking at 23 FL.

I see, Mike, and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out here.

Ok, with my current Epson 8350 when it was brand new, calculator was saying it was 21 FL. That is half of what the calculator is saying for the 5020 and even then, I thought the 8350 image was extremely bright for my room, considering the real output was much much less, probably in the low teens for FL levels.

With this being said, is the 5020 still a good option for my room specs when it comes to 3D? I know 2D will be no issue at all.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wanted to comment that I purchased my Epson 5020 this morning from Mike at AVS and it was an easy and super smooth transaction. His customer service is awesome! I'm also in the same boat as you as I'll be doing a 140" screen as well. Mike at AVS is currently finalizing my Da-Lite HP 2.35:1 specs. I highly recommend purchasing your 5020 and many other things from him. You're in good hands!

FOR SALE - Definitive Technology CLR3000. PM me if interested.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

I would love to know if lag is not an issue with the 5020. Reviews don't say much about this.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page