Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread
Dash4Cash's Avatar Dash4Cash 04:12 PM 02-06-2013
bump.... Can anyone help me out on my question above.

TIA

plissken99's Avatar plissken99 04:19 PM 02-06-2013
My RS46 arrived today safe and sound from A/V Science(Thanks Mike!), 6 days 3 hours without a projector... it's no way to live. Already did an initial calibration with HD Basics, not much to adjust. Surprised they had CMD on low out of the box, had to immediatly turn that off. I turned it on high altitude mode, as I'm a little gun shy after my RS40 with all the bulb issues. Sure is loud though, think it's safe to leave high alt mode off?
Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 04:28 PM 02-06-2013
I run mine in low lamp and high altitude off, but I live in the UK at sea level. My lamp seems very stable at over 110 hours now has barely dropped from new. I find the fan is quite loud in high lamp (and I guess high altitude) so I couldn't live with that noise myself.
cwang's Avatar cwang 07:15 PM 02-06-2013
I'm interested in buying RS46 from AVS, however I could not find send me the link for the purchase? Thanks.
domingos38's Avatar domingos38 07:28 PM 02-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwang View Post

I'm interested in buying RS46 from AVS, however I could not find send me the link for the purchase? Thanks.


call them
tpag2000's Avatar tpag2000 10:32 PM 02-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwang View Post

I'm interested in buying RS46 from AVS, however I could not find send me the link for the purchase? Thanks.

JVC does not allow the RS line to be sold "over the internet", so you have to call and talk to the dealer. I've called and talked to Mike Garrett at AVS twice now, and he was very helpful both times and just provided the information I was asking for without any pushy salesmanship. Great service, highly knowledgeable, good prices, can't ask for much more.
cwang's Avatar cwang 07:25 AM 02-07-2013
Can you send me Mike's phone number to my e-mail at cwang@ford.com?
Thanks.
tklein2's Avatar tklein2 07:43 AM 02-07-2013
Hello. I'm a long time JVC projector fan, I've had a 750 and a RS40. I recently bought the RS46 from AV Science, thanks Mike for the great customer service. I hung it last night in the same spot as always, using the same hardware. It was perfectly level and perpendicular to the screen (120 inch, 16x9, 1.3 gain). It hangs about 3 inches below the top of the screen, 13 feet away.

At first I was happy, until I noticed that the focus was really bad in the bottom left corner, like almost double grid lines! Of course, when I focused it to a tolerable state it would ruin the rest of the picture. Convergence in the middle of the screen was acceptable, by no means perfect, but from where I sit, more than good enough.

Mike has offered to send me another RS46, I'm worried that AV Science's early batch (without firmware) could have some early manufacturing issues. Can someone else please comment on their experience with the focus in general and maybe the ones they got from AV Science. Thank you.
tigerfan33's Avatar tigerfan33 07:49 AM 02-07-2013
The update on the early batch of JVC sold only concerns 3D. Nothing to do with 2D. My focus is fine and probably will not be sending mine to JVC for the update as I only use 2D.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 07:53 AM 02-07-2013
I reviewed one of the first RS46's that AVS received. The lens on this copy is nearly flawless, great focus on my 142" 16:9.

A similar thing happened last year when I bought my RS55. I could not focus the entire screen but the replacement was a day/night difference. Anything can happen to these projectors as they make their way 1/2 across the globe.

I would swap it out, the replacement is likely going to be much better.
Schwa's Avatar Schwa 08:24 AM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwang View Post

Can you send me Mike's phone number to my e-mail at cwang@ford.com?
Thanks.
Mike is also known as "AV Science Sales 5" -- see his post here for his contact info.
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 09:11 AM 02-07-2013
What is this 3D update? i got mine yesterday from A/V Science, will it need it? And is there no way to do it at home, even with the LAN port on the back of the projector?
Dragon Reborn's Avatar Dragon Reborn 09:20 AM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

What is this 3D update? i got mine yesterday from A/V Science, will it need it? And is there no way to do it at home, even with the LAN port on the back of the projector?

You will have to send it in if you want the update. To access the service menu, on the remote press UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT ENTER

From post #1 of this thread ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

3D ghosting problem with initial release:
Switcher #: 2012.9.26.1 (faulty 3D)
Switcher #: 2012.12.4.1 (fixed 3D)
(Access the service menu to view the switcher #)

tklein2's Avatar tklein2 09:27 AM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I reviewed one of the first RS46's that AVS received. The lens on this copy is nearly flawless, great focus on my 142" 16:9.

A similar thing happened last year when I bought my RS55. I could not focus the entire screen but the replacement was a day/night difference. Anything can happen to these projectors as they make their way 1/2 across the globe.

I would swap it out, the replacement is likely going to be much better.

Thanks for the confidence guys. I have ordered the replacement RS46... fingers crossed!!
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 10:12 AM 02-07-2013
I confirmed I have the old firmware naturally. So how big an improvement is the fix? And will JVC America pay shipping?
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 02:16 PM 02-07-2013
Ok after some reading it's mentioned that pre update it looks identical to the 3D I had with my RS40, but reduces light output. 1st off, how can this be? Because in the settings I see controls for crosstalk reduction which the RS40 never had, those do nothing? And which do you prefer, the low light output, or more crosstalk?
Schwa's Avatar Schwa 02:17 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post

Hello. I'm a long time JVC projector fan, I've had a 750 and a RS40. I recently bought the RS46 from AV Science, thanks Mike for the great customer service. I hung it last night in the same spot as always, using the same hardware. It was perfectly level and perpendicular to the screen (120 inch, 16x9, 1.3 gain). It hangs about 3 inches below the top of the screen, 13 feet away.

At first I was happy, until I noticed that the focus was really bad in the bottom left corner, like almost double grid lines! Of course, when I focused it to a tolerable state it would ruin the rest of the picture. Convergence in the middle of the screen was acceptable, by no means perfect, but from where I sit, more than good enough.

Mike has offered to send me another RS46, I'm worried that AV Science's early batch (without firmware) could have some early manufacturing issues. Can someone else please comment on their experience with the focus in general and maybe the ones they got from AV Science. Thank you.
I had the exact same issue (plus two stuck blue pixels) on the first RS46 I got from AV Science. My replacement's focus was great, and I then decided to trade up to the the RS4810 which has great focus also.
cwang's Avatar cwang 07:34 PM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Mike is also known as "AV Science Sales 5" -- see his post here for his contact info.

I talked to Mike this afternoon. I'm going to join RS46 club next week. Thanks.

Mike specifically told me the projector I'm going to get has firmware 1.0. I don't care much about 3D.It is probably OK with me.
kraine's Avatar kraine 12:13 AM 02-08-2013
I measured yesterday my loss of brightness after 50 hours with my X35, here are the results :

After 50 hours 206 lux. (561 lumens) I lost 60 lux
New lamp after calibration ( 262 lux 717 lumens)
around -23%

Contraste ratio is now at 20600:1
kraine's Avatar kraine 12:16 AM 02-08-2013
I updated also the firmware of my X35 as you can see here the results before and after on 3D (bottom of the review) :

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/351-JVC-X35-5.html
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 12:38 AM 02-08-2013
Kraine - did you notice a lumen difference in 3D after the update? Does the lumen output change from Crosstalk control setting 0 -> 8 ?

I'm curious if it's the same now as the 4810. thx for the info
Drexler's Avatar Drexler 05:05 AM 02-08-2013
kraine,

Thanks for the review!

I find it strange though that high/low lamp affected contrast. It shouldn't do that in theory (AFAIK) and cine4home has confirmed it doesn't in practise either - having measured multiple JVCs of both current and older iterations all coming out exactly the same.
kraine's Avatar kraine 05:50 AM 02-08-2013
Hi Drexler, I can only report what my Luxmeter is telling me sorry. smile.gif
Drexler's Avatar Drexler 07:07 AM 02-08-2013
Definitely, you can only present what you see and measure! However, maybe it's my scientific training, but I would never present counter intuitive data without; a) first looking into possible causes that might bias the result, and b) disclosing that the result is unexpected but that you can't explain it. Otherwise people might take it for truth even though it's just an unverified observation. Then again, maybe it's just me being an*l when it comes to these things... wink.gif

Don't take it as personal critisism, most reviewers aren't very rigorous, I just think the reviews would be much better if they were. Thus I'm trying to assert a little bit of scientific influence if I can. smile.gif
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 07:31 AM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Kraine - did you notice a lumen difference in 3D after the update? Does the lumen output change from Crosstalk control setting 0 -> 8 ?

I'm curious if it's the same now as the 4810. thx for the info

if anyone has the post firmware update, the above info would be appreciated.
Kelvin1965S's Avatar Kelvin1965S 07:57 AM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

I measured yesterday my loss of brightness after 50 hours with my X35, here are the results :

After 50 hours 206 lux. (561 lumens) I lost 60 lux
New lamp after calibration ( 262 lux 717 lumens)
around -23%

Contraste ratio is now at 20600:1

I'll be checking my X35 again tonight: I don't check the maximum output, just my base line setting which is minimum zoom, iris -15 calibrated with a dE less than 3 at 100%.

My initial reading was 102 Lux after calibration at 15 hours (non calibrated remained at 92 Lux from 0 to 15 hours). Last time I measured my base line output and it had dropped, but only slightly to 94 Lux after 115 hours, so I make that an 8.5% drop, so significantly less than yours. If it matters I've only used high power very briefly, by mistake since I selected a 3D mode by accident when I first had the projector, so that 115 hours is 99% in low power, if it makes any difference.

Out of interest how do you do the contrast measurement? I have a Tecpel 531 Lux meter and also an i1 display Pro enhanced with Chromapure, so I might have to try taking this measurement to see what I'm getting. I'll be disappointed if it's less than 40,000:1 since I'm at minimum zoom and -15 iris, but we'll see.
walterappleby's Avatar walterappleby 10:20 AM 02-08-2013
I happened across a new review for the X35 that looks to have just been posted earlier this week. My searching didn't find it in this thread or the "Sony HW50 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5020 / JVC RS55 / JVC RS 46 / JVC RS4810 / JVC RS56 Mini-shootout..." so I thought I would post it for those who might be interested:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/jvc-x35-201302052614.htm

The X35 received their "Highly Recommended" verdict.
drj2000's Avatar drj2000 12:34 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

I measured yesterday my loss of brightness after 50 hours with my X35, here are the results :

After 50 hours 206 lux. (561 lumens) I lost 60 lux
New lamp after calibration ( 262 lux 717 lumens)
around -23%

Contraste ratio is now at 20600:1


Kraine where are you taking your lux measurements from? The light reflected from the screen, directly at the screen or at some distance between the projector and the screen?
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 12:37 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

if anyone has the post firmware update, the above info would be appreciated.
And anyone considering doing the update or not, like myself would be doubly interested.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 02:36 PM 02-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

And anyone considering doing the update or not, like myself would be doubly interested.

the reason I think the post firmware update is going to be the same as the 4810 is this recent review showing the X35 vs. the HW50. This is exactly how it looked with the 4810 vs. HW50.

The RS46 before the firmware had over 900 3D lumens, the HW50 is a bit over a 1000, so they were relatively equal in perceived brightness (before the glasses). The 4810 was dimmer (~560 lumens vs the Sony @ 1000)

germanreview1.jpg
Tags: Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop