post #812 of 2360 Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

I have a question. I have a JVC rs46 that runs to a onkyo 818. They claim that the video processor in it is pretty good. Should I let the onkyo video do some work for video or should I run it straight through to JVC?

I have found that it is never a good idea to run the projector through the avr if you don't have too. I experimented with my avr and running my hptc and blu ray player with the second hdmi output. Clearly the picture was better with just the source to the projector rather than going through the avr. You should try it just to see if you see a difference.

Now, I use a Oppo 103 straight to the projector and the other output on the Oppo goes to the avr for audio. Perfect setup and it had two hdmi inputs for two other sources to go straight to the projector to byass the avr
post #813 of 2360 Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just curious - and I tried finding an answer earlier - is it alright to leave the projector plugged in all the time in standby mode, or does anyone unplug the unit?
post #814 of 2360 Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I know mine is plugged in all the time. I suspect most others are as well.

There may be minimal power savings by leaving it off and I suppose it's better for lightning protection but the inconvenience of plugging it in every time I wanted to use it outweighs the benefits in my opinion.

post #815 of 2360 Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 10
Dunno if people on here remember my posts a few weeks back, but I was having problems with my X35 emitting a ringing noise whenever viewing 24fps content. Having found no solutions online I got in touch with JVC through my dealer and they got me to send the projector back to base for them to take a look. I eventually got the machine back yesterday, almost 5 weeks after it went back, and the sheet of paper stuck to the side of my box told me that they basically replaced the Lamp and the Ballast PCB. Unfortunately it seems that they never bothered to check the replacement lamp (or it just decided to die during transit) because when I hooked my projector back up there was barely any light output (like a lamp that's literally seconds away from death). So it looks like it's going back to base again, hopefully not for another 5 weeks (yeah, right! biggrin.gif).

However, there was another issue that I was wondering if anyone else on here has ever experienced: When setting up my projector I noticed that the lens has what looks like a few scratches across it. Now, this is something I never noticed before I sent it back (and as you can imagine, when light is being outputted you can see flaws in the lens quite clearly), and it's definitely not something I could have caused because I've been very careful never to touch the lens with anything, I also made sure I packaged it up properly with the plastic lens cover in place. There's also minor cosmetic damage to the area around the lens (a light diagonal scrape/scratch).

Are scratches on the lens of a projector a big deal? Is it something that will show in the projected images? I've had my projector on for 30mins or so when I originally started to set it up, but that was the blank lens adjust screen, when I noticed the lamp was screwed I decided not to leave it on or watch anything in case it was dying and ready to blow (had that happen before with my last projector). So basically I've not been able to test if the scratches are affecting the image.

If scratches on the lens are a big deal, what are my chances of getting JVC to admit the damage was done their end? The projector was packaged properly when I received it back, and I never took pictures of the unit before I sent it off to them so I obviously can't prove the scratches weren't there to begin with.
post #816 of 2360 Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Other than dealers that deal with JVC all the time, no-one is going to know your chances. I suggest talking to your dealer about it and having them advise you on the best course of action. I can think of a few things to do, but I'd ask the dealer instead.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #817 of 2360 Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Did you double check you got your same PJ back? Check the serial #.
post #818 of 2360 Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Yeah sorry I should have mentioned that I immediately got in touch with my dealer, who got me to check the serial number of the unit (it's mine) and has presumably got in touch with JVC. The scratches don't seem deep so I assume they won't show "on screen", but it's just one of those cases were you think "hmm, the projector cost me almost £2500 and I've barely had it a month, and now it's got scratches down the lens. Do I kick up a fuss over this or not?" biggrin.gif Obviously the lamp's looking like its gonna need replacing either way.
post #819 of 2360 Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 AM

Liked: 12
3D Wireless Glasses Broken

After this post [URL=http://******************/board/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1307952#post1307952]http://******************/board/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1307952#post1307952[/URL], I checked my glasses in daylight.
2 of 3 glasses have the same hairline cracks, as the other of the user from the forum.

The quality of JCV has become truly humble.

We do not have big heads and Spreitzer the glasses unnecessary, my wife has to fix even with barrettes.

Let's see what my dealer says it.

Checked it out your glasses and divides the result by

Example: 1 Glass costst in Europe 150€

post #820 of 2360 Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-o-c View Post

3D Wireless Glasses Broken

After this post [URL=http://******************/board/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1307952#post1307952]http://******************/board/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1307952#post1307952[/URL], I checked my glasses in daylight.
2 of 3 glasses have the same hairline cracks, as the other of the user from the forum.

The quality of JCV has become truly humble.

We do not have big heads and Spreitzer the glasses unnecessary, my wife has to fix even with barrettes.

Let's see what my dealer says it.

Checked it out your glasses and divides the result by

Example: 1 Glass costst in Europe 150€

We sell a lot of JVC projectors and glasses. This has not been an issue for any of our customers. Are you sure that somebody did not sit on them?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #821 of 2360 Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post

The scratches don't seem deep so I assume they won't show "on screen"
I totally freaked-out when my brand-new Mits pj had a broad "scuff mark" across the lens. Spent a bunch of time trying to see it on-screen but could not. So while a scuff/scratch/dirt on a lens can block a miniscule amount of light, these otherwise apparently don't affect the picture. You should try REAL HARD to see your scratches on-screen with whatever kinds of material or displays--but I'll bet you can not.

My "scuff mark" turned-out to be some sort of goop on the lens i.e. wasn't a scuff at all, and it cleaned right off. Dunno the JVC's lens, but if it's glass it should not scratch easily at all. Have you tried cleaning it?

In the end, if you can't see the impact of the scratch(es) onscreen then I would make my decision about complaints-or-returns of the pj based on other factors (that you CAN see).
post #822 of 2360 Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

We sell a lot of JVC projectors and glasses. This has not been an issue for any of our customers. Are you sure that somebody did not sit on them?

4 users in a German home theater forums have the same hair cracks in the exact same spot.
Sat on it? hahah *lol*
When not in use, the glasses are in a padded box
I just pre-ordered my bundle and was one of the first customers who had their device. The user who have the problems are also one of the first customer.

funnily I've also been the third lamp. the first flickered, the second high-frequency-chirped, the third running without problems at the Moment
post #823 of 2360 Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-o-c View Post

4 users in a German home theater forums have the same hair cracks in the exact same spot.
Sat on it? hahah *lol*
When not in use, the glasses are in a padded box
I just pre-ordered my bundle and was one of the first customers who had their device. The user who have the problems are also one of the first customer.

funnily I've also been the third lamp. the first flickered, the second high-frequency-chirped, the third running without problems at the Moment

Just thought I would ask, since the glasses should be the same as what is sold here and I don't recall a single issue for this on any of the hundreds we have sold.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #824 of 2360 Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I totally freaked-out when my brand-new Mits pj had a broad "scuff mark" across the lens. Spent a bunch of time trying to see it on-screen but could not. So while a scuff/scratch/dirt on a lens can block a miniscule amount of light, these otherwise apparently don't affect the picture. You should try REAL HARD to see your scratches on-screen with whatever kinds of material or displays--but I'll bet you can not.

My "scuff mark" turned-out to be some sort of goop on the lens i.e. wasn't a scuff at all, and it cleaned right off. Dunno the JVC's lens, but if it's glass it should not scratch easily at all. Have you tried cleaning it?

In the end, if you can't see the impact of the scratch(es) onscreen then I would make my decision about complaints-or-returns of the pj based on other factors (that you CAN see).

my old hitachi CRT RPTV had some weird rainbow effect develop after several years of use. I opened up the back to see if anything was going on, cleaned the mirror and found a rather large piece of masking tape on the green projector. I thought wth, studied it for a couple minutes to make sure it wasn't somehow part of the 'design' haha, and removed it. I never noticed any difference, and for the 5yrs i'd been watching the tv prior to this it looked fantastic.

it just doesn't make sense to me, but I guess there can be a lot crap on the lens and it only dims the picture slightly. I would have thought a piece of masking tape that was covering like 15% of the lens would have cast a shadow but it didn't.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #825 of 2360 Old 05-31-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, I just got my RS46 back today from having it's 3D firmware update, I sent it in the previous Monday, today is Friday, so an 11 day turn around time including the long weekend(from Texas to Atlanta, GA), not too bad I guess. Course I felt every day without it.

Initial impression... I was alarmed. The scene in Resident Evil 6 Retribution I watched right before sending it in, and watched getting back is what I call the crosstalk acid test.

Both before and after, the shots in this scene exhibit the most stark/distracting example of crosstalk I've come across. Whether the scene improved with the update, I'm not 100% sure, but it may have, slightly.. maybe. I was alarmed enough at that point to check the switcher version in the service menu, and I do indeed have the "fixed" firmware.

Upon watching a few scenes, I noticed myself getting into them more. RE Retribution gave me a headache from all the crosstalk before, here it's almost negligible. Crosstalk appears here and there, but it's not nearly as distracting as before. Likewise I plugged in Drive Angry, I remember that this was my very first 3D Blu Ray and remember how disappointed I was in the amount of crosstalk in the opening car chase lol, here the scene is extremely watchable, crosstalk only rearing it's head for a split second right in the beginning as the truck is coming down the street(and that crosstalk vanishes when paused, which leads me to believe a lot of the crosstalk still visible is actually ghosting due to JVCs notoriously slow panels). Likewise the very opening shot of the car driving out of Hell, Hell is more visible and distinct than ever, terrible crosstalk there before.

Overall I don't notice a brightness difference, my projectors already up to 730 hours btw. The "crosstalk cancelling" adjustments lowers the brightness as it goes down -8, and increases the other way +8. The crosstalk in shots remains just as visible in the lowest and highest settings, so turn it up to +8 to get the brightness out of it. The "parallax" adjustment just moves the crosstalk around, you can correct it in one shot, and it'll be bad in another shot that previously had no crosstalk, so best to leave that setting alone, just as in pre update.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! The improvement isn't as night and day as I had hoped, but movies which were previously almost unwatchable are fine now. It's already more relaxing to look forward to future 3D releases and not have to wonder how bad they will be on my projector. That said, JVC should have to pay the goddamn shipping, as the update brings the projector up to the advertised specifications!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #826 of 2360 Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
In 2d mode it seems like I am getting some pixelation. I got the iris turned all the way down and in low lamp mode with natural 6500k 2.4 settings on a hp dalite 233 inch screen.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help improve it
post #827 of 2360 Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 PM

"Was it worth it? Absolutely! The improvement isn't as night and day as I had hoped, but movies which were previously almost unwatchable are fine now. It's already more relaxing to look forward to future 3D releases and not have to wonder how bad they will be on my projector. That said, JVC should have to pay the goddamn shipping, as the update brings the projector up to the advertised specifications!"

I own an RS45 and thought about getting the 46. I was on the preorder list and asked if the projector could just be shipped from AVS directly back to JVC to get the new firmware and then have JVC ship to me in order to avoid all the extra costs and JVC said no. So I decided to stay with the 45 and wait until next years models come out since nobody really knew if the new firmware even made a significant difference.Im glad to hear it does and I agree JVC should have taken care of all the costs. Now I'm wondering if the 45 could have its firmware updated to get the improvements since it is similar in design to the 46.
post #828 of 2360 Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

In 2d mode it seems like I am getting some pixelation. I got the iris turned all the way down and in low lamp mode with natural 6500k 2.4 settings on a hp dalite 233 inch screen.

You mean 133" screen, right? Otherwise I'd me mighty impressed ):
post #829 of 2360 Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I've not touched it yet, wanted to have plausible deniability when I reported the issue! biggrin.gif
It's possible they're scuffs and not scratches though, but I can't really test whether they will show up on screen until I get a lamp in there that is working properly, so it makes sense to leave things be and let JVC sort it out IF they take the projector back again over the lamp issue. I will try and take some pictures of the lens over the weekend though.
post #830 of 2360 Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yes 133 sorry
post #831 of 2360 Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

While it could be the source (or player) or highlighted due to the size of your screen there are a few things you could try:

Turn off the CMD, reduce sharpness and detail enhance to zero. If you aren't using any kind of external video processor to correct the colour gamut, use the 'Standard' colour space. Finally try HDMI Standard or Superwhite if you are using HDMI Enhanced.

If you have the option in your player try the output in RGB, YCrCb 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 modes to see which looks best (4:2:2 in my case, but I use a Lumagen video processor). Also turn off any deepcolour setting in the player.

Double check your brightness and contrast settings using the AVS HD709 basic test patterns since having the brightness too high (or the black level control, which is best left at zero as well IMHO) can show noise in dark areas.

Some of the above might seem disappointing to turn off 'features' but IMHO sometimes it's better to take a more 'purist' view since the less you mess about with the signal then the better.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #832 of 2360 Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post

I own an RS45 and thought about getting the 46. I was on the preorder list and asked if the projector could just be shipped from AVS directly back to JVC to get the new firmware and then have JVC ship to me in order to avoid all the extra costs and JVC said no. So I decided to stay with the 45 and wait until next years models come out since nobody really knew if the new firmware even made a significant difference.Im glad to hear it does and I agree JVC should have taken care of all the costs. Now I'm wondering if the 45 could have its firmware updated to get the improvements since it is similar in design to the 46.

It wouldn't surprise me if so. My pet theory as to why these units have to be shipped in for a mere firmware upgrade is that their actually replacing a circuit board or two. I could just picture the manufacturing line accidentally using RS45 or RS40 3D components without realizing it(afterall all the models are identical in physical appearance). And JVC is saying it's just a firmware update to save themselves the embarrassment.

Snake Plissken

post #833 of 2360 Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

so just to clarify, as i'm expecting my x35 to arrive on Tuesday, the 'fw' update can only be done by JVC, and it only affects 3D performance?

I ask because I won't be using it for 3D and I don't want to ship it to jvc for a useless 'upgrade'. thanks.

hopefully i'll have the updated 'fw' already when it arrives, but just in case i'd rather take care of it before I install it.

post #834 of 2360 Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct, if your not ever going to be using for 3D, don't worry about it.

Snake Plissken

post #835 of 2360 Old 06-02-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

yeah, i'm blind in my left eye, so, no 3D for me no matter what. still feel a little ripped off if I don't have something I paid for, but sending the unit in for a fw update just seems too ridiculous for me.

I recently bought a Samsung f8500 plasma and I've already done 3 fw updates, haha. It shouldn't be that much trouble

thanks for the confirmation

post #836 of 2360 Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:

Only problem would be if you put it up FS one day, may or may not affect resale value.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #837 of 2360 Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

Only problem would be if you put it up FS one day, may or may not affect resale value.

I agree, will be harder to sell without the update.

Might want to wait until you know you will not be using it for a while, maybe when you are going on vacation and send it then.
post #838 of 2360 Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Does the 3D Firmware Update compromise the projectors 2D performance in any way, shape or form? confused.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
post #839 of 2360 Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

i don't typically get rid of anything that still has value. projector MIGHT be the exception, as i probably won't need/want 3-4 of them running around, but i usually just shift all my stuff from the main room, to the second room, to the bedroom, etc down the chain. by the time it's at the end it's completely worthless, and usually i'll keep it until it breaks.

ie, i bought the f8500 because the RPTV in the living room finally went belly up. replaced the plasma in my main room with the f8500, and shifted the old plasma to the living room.

anyway, point is resale value isn't a concern either. by the time i'd want to sell it, it won't be worth anything with or without the update, haha. it's a valid point, just not that applicable to me.

post #840 of 2360 Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

far as i can tell(reading only), it's a change with the signal between projector and glasses(not sure if that's hardware or software based though), so it shouldn't affect 2D performance at all.

i'm assuming if there was a noticeable decrease in 2D PQ, there would be a lot of ppl complaining about and warning others not to get it done. the projector(at least from my research) seems to be known for it's top quality 2D performance, not it's 3D performance

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page