Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am assuming all this information will be available after September.
I guess if i am going to purchase early next year i would know by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3001 View Post

What kind of screens are you pairing the JVC RS46 with?
I am looking at a 125" 2.35:1 flat fixed frame.
The room can be dark and ambient light can be controlled.
My issue is the what kind of gain screens are you guys using.
I see anything from 1.2 to 0.08 gain on screens that will work.
What is your best opinion.
I will be buying the projector next year with the screen budget of $1000-$1200.

I was using a Focupix 90" 1.0 gain that was fine for my tastes. I wanted to improve the contrast and do a few other tricks to my room. I painted the front wall and ceiling a dark grey. Then I put in an Elite Screens fixed frame 115" Acoustic Transparent 2.35:1 screen. It is really nice IMHO. I'm throwing about 14' with lamp on low and aperture -8. I moved my center channel to a shelf behind the screen. I use the lens memory function to shift between 16:9 content (side black bars) and 2.35:1 Cinemascope content. Everyone who sees it is impressed and I love it. Screen was $499 delivered!

I'm not convinced of these huge price tags for some screens. Better I stay ignorant and richer for it... smile.gif

Journeyman hometheaterphile.
post #1053 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

If you are looking for a good screen at about $1000, bypass all Elite screens. Too much texture in their screens. Look at Carada cinema white or brilliant white screens, or Da Lite DaMat screen. JKP screens are a great screen but you will be paying $1300-1600 for that screen.

Would it be wise to get a 1.0 to 1.4 gain screen in a dark room. Will that washout the shadow detail that the jvc can produce?
post #1054 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Would it be wise to get a 1.0 to 1.4 gain screen in a dark room. Will that washout the shadow detail that the jvc can produce?

In a dark room, it will not wash out detail at all. Only in a bright room or a room where ambient light is a problem. Some light to use HP screen, which I have too. You get a brighter picture so you can clamp down on the iris to get better contrast. Short story, a dark room with no lights shining on the screen is always best. Also, a screen less texture is best too. You can easily order free samples and compare the texture of screens
post #1055 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have a 170" 2.35:1 Carada BW in my batcave with an RS45. I've got the iris clamped down and the low (normal) lamp setting and I have plenty of light. That works out to about 140" for 16:9. Without a batcave, that size could never work. The image is stunning with the Darblet. I'm sure going up to the RS46 (or way up to the 4k-lite RS4810) would make a considerable difference. I also can swing 3D but it is a little too dark in Prometheus 3D.
post #1056 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasiliff View Post

I have a 170" 2.35:1 Carada BW in my batcave with an RS45. I've got the iris clamped down and the low (normal) lamp setting and I have plenty of light. That works out to about 140" for 16:9. Without a batcave, that size could never work. The image is stunning with the Darblet. I'm sure going up to the RS46 (or way up to the 4k-lite RS4810) would make a considerable difference. I also can swing 3D but it is a little too dark in Prometheus 3D.

WOW, that's a big screen. Some will say that 120in is too big for a jvc projector. Even though the BW is rated at 1.4, I think its closer to 1.2. But the bigger the screen, the better. I bet you would really like the Eshift models
post #1057 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasiliff View Post

That is awesome, how far back from it do you sit?

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #1058 of 2389 Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Liked: 10
I own a JVC RS45 and I'm happy with the 2D PQ but considering upgrading to a RS46. I don't want to go through 36 pages of posts, can someone tell me if the RS46 has any material quality control issues? Thanks.
post #1059 of 2389 Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm 14.5 feet back. The projector is about 18 feet back. When I installed the screen, I had a terrifying 45 minutes while I installed the projector and threw up the image to find that I had just enough throw. At my viewing distance, I don't see any pixels. The Darbee makes it crisp. I have lasik corrected vision at about 20/15 both eyes. I do believe I would get a real benefit from Eshift. (I have an every 2 year plan for upgrades and buying a Bstock RS45 last summer made sense.) At that big an image, I do notice the blurring of the image with pans that JVCs are known to do but it is not frequent. I am slightly annoyed by that. (The 3D is acceptable- but in this RS46 thread- the RS46 is supposed to be much better...) I spent many sleepless nights combing the forum for comments from people who went big, trying to find out if I was going too big. After getting it installed, calibrated using some settings from people who use their RS45 with a carada screen, I'll never miss having a small screen again!
post #1060 of 2389 Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore88 View Post

I own a JVC RS45 and I'm happy with the 2D PQ but considering upgrading to a RS46. I don't want to go through 36 pages of posts, can someone tell me if the RS46 has any material quality control issues? Thanks.

Rock solid.Havnt seen anyone report a fault.Globes are holding up amazingly well.Seems this was the model that fixed all the problems up.When they go to an entire new projector again, we will probably get all the problems back.
Ive got 450 hours on mine and the globe has barely dimmed.Still at -15.3d is still ghost free.Was worried about ghosting appearing as lamp ages but nothing nada zilch on that front.
post #1061 of 2389 Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Hey guys,
I am in process of building my theater room. It is going to be 16'Wx25'L. The screen will be an AT and will probably be 3'5" from the back wall. I was hoping to do a 130" scope screen by zooming in with the X35. The room will be completely light controlled. I of course would want to zoom out with 16:9 content. Is this possible with this projector or do I need something brighter?
post #1062 of 2389 Old 08-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I bought an X35 (Canadian) in December and it had taken two trips to JVC Canada's repair facility. The first was for the new firmware update but I also told them about a startup issue I was having but they said at the time the couldn't reproduce it. As soon as I got it back the startup problem showed and I recorded the evidence as they asked. They informed me based on teh video clip I sent them that it needed a new mainboard.

They fixed it up for me and had it back to me quite quickly and alll has been rock solid since.
Ron
post #1063 of 2389 Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Why the nearly sideways upgrade?
Yah the RS-46 has better color and lamps, but other than that it is pretty sideways...

What about the RS-48/4810?

Maybe wait a few more months until next year's models come out to see what is available?

I definitely want to upgrade my RS-45 as well, but my main thing I want more of is contrast, so I'm waiting a couple years to see if I can land a deal on one of the higher-end JVC's as a B-stock or something (hoping contrast improves further).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1064 of 2389 Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just got my first projector system, the glorious x35b. First I will give you a run down of my setup:

Screen: dragonfly 92" acousticweave from snap AV
Room: Completely light controlled, walls are black, ceiling dark grey, dimensions 16ft x 11ft 6 in
Projector: X35 B ceiling mounted, lens 13 ft from screen

Here is my problem: when focused in properly I get what I believe to be the "moire" effect. From the middle of the screen to 2/3 of the way to the edge of the screen I get some radiating lines when white is being displayed or bright spots (sky, etc.). They do disappear when I reduce the focus a little. They are visible on the grey area of the focus screen until I take it out of focus a small amount. Is this the projector or the screen?

One other tidbit, I believe the AV company mounted the projector wrong. The manual says the projector needs to be mounted perpendicular to the screen, it is mounted maybe 2ft above the screen and angled down at about a 5-10% angle. Could this cause the issue? The picture looks phenominaI with all colors but white, cannot see the lines. Thanks in advance.
post #1065 of 2389 Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 936
definitely shouldn't angle the projector. the only way you get a square picture with an angled projector is by using keystone correction which is processing that will reduce quality of the image. that MAY be the reason you see the moire, but i wouldn't rule out the screen either. i will say i'm not getting the moire with my x35

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #1066 of 2389 Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x35owner View Post

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just got my first projector system, the glorious x35b. First I will give you a run down of my setup:

Screen: dragonfly 92" acousticweave from snap AV
Room: Completely light controlled, walls are black, ceiling dark grey, dimensions 16ft x 11ft 6 in
Projector: X35 B ceiling mounted, lens 13 ft from screen

Here is my problem: when focused in properly I get what I believe to be the "moire" effect. From the middle of the screen to 2/3 of the way to the edge of the screen I get some radiating lines when white is being displayed or bright spots (sky, etc.). They do disappear when I reduce the focus a little. They are visible on the grey area of the focus screen until I take it out of focus a small amount. Is this the projector or the screen?

One other tidbit, I believe the AV company mounted the projector wrong. The manual says the projector needs to be mounted perpendicular to the screen, it is mounted maybe 2ft above the screen and angled down at about a 5-10% angle. Could this cause the issue? The picture looks phenominaI with all colors but white, cannot see the lines. Thanks in advance.

I agree with fierce_gt. There should be no angle on the projector. I don't have the specs and math handy, but 2' above top of screen may be a little much. If you can't get the image to fit with the projector level and lens shift, then you need to lower the pj or raise the screen. You do not want to use keystone, ever.

Oh yeah, make sure your screen is flat (i.e. 90deg) from ground.

Journeyman hometheaterphile.
post #1067 of 2389 Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 298
The moire is a combination of both the patern of the acoustic screen material and size of the pixel grid being displayed by the projector. Moire is much more typical on smaller screens like yours when the pixels are smaller. Typically, higher end acoustically transparent screens are angle cut so the issue is avoided. I don't know how your screen material is attached to the frame but is there anyway it can be repositioned so that the weave pattern is shifted? You'd want to angle it about 15-30 degrees off axis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #1068 of 2389 Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 53

The Dragonfly screens come with extra material and then the excess is cut off.  That way you can rotate the material for the correct angle before installing it in the frame.  It appears they didn't check the material's angle before installing it in the frame.  Also, the projector should not be angled.  It should be level and the lens shift used to get the picture correct.  If there is not enough lens shift then the projector should be lowered to make it work correctly.

post #1069 of 2389 Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

The Dragonfly screens come with extra material and then the excess is cut off.  That way you can rotate the material for the correct angle before installing it in the frame.  It appears they didn't check the material's angle before installing it in the frame.  Also, the projector should not be angled.  It should be level and the lens shift used to get the picture correct.  If there is not enough lens shift then the projector should be lowered to make it work correctly.

To add to what Bob said. With your screen, the max the projector could be mounted above the top of the image is 13.8" and that is if no horizontal lens shift is used. I would not mount but about 6" max above the top of the image. I see three very big mistakes made here. Screen not put together correctly. Projector mounted to high and projector mounted at an angle. What throw distance did they use?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1070 of 2389 Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM

First off, thanks everyone for the responses.

The screen: The guy had told his boss (whom I talked to) that he was having trouble stretching the screen to attach it to the frame. I am assuming he didn't know what the f he was doing.

The projector lens is approximately 12'6" from the screen. I probably could have done a better install myself with the exception of the rewiring for the speakers in wall. It was a free setup for problems during the construction and post construction of my new home. Still they should have installed it as if I paid full price for it. Seems like they sent some moron out to install it. Took me 3 minutes of scanning the manual to find out he had mounted the projector wrong. Anyways, they come out tomorrow to fix the installation. I am printing your responses as ammo to rip em a new one. The owner said it could be a problem with the Blu - Ray as well. This is a list of all the equipment they provided.

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-43, 7.1 surround sound receiver
Bluray: Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
Screen: Dragonfly 92" AcoustiWeave fixed screen; 16:9
Front Speakers (LCR): Episode ES-500-IWLCR-4
Rear Speakers: Episode ES-500-SURR-6
Subwoofer: Episode ES-SUB-12-300-MB
Remote: ProControl Pro24r; with charging cradle, IR repeating block
post #1071 of 2389 Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 AM

Hi all,

I've used my X-35 for about 39 hours now and just noticed on screen in the bottom right corner, a pinkish ring that remains on the image no matter what source you watch. When you lens shift, the ring moves also but always remains in that bottom left corner.

Its like the days of plasma TV's when TV Channel logo's were burnt into the screen with static images on too long.

What could it be?
post #1072 of 2389 Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekniques View Post

Hi all,

I've used my X-35 for about 39 hours now and just noticed on screen in the bottom right corner, a pinkish ring that remains on the image no matter what source you watch. When you lens shift, the ring moves also but always remains in that bottom left corner.

Its like the days of plasma TV's when TV Channel logo's were burnt into the screen with static images on too long.

What could it be?

a defect? haha, I don't know. nothing like it on mine

post #1073 of 2389 Old 08-29-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekniques View Post

Hi all,

What could it be?

Something wrong somewhere in the optics or on/near the panels is my guess. I would RMA it.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1074 of 2389 Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the IP commands to control this projector?  I am looking for a simple way to switch back and for to/from anamorphic mode without having to flip the through the menu.

thanks,

Nick

post #1075 of 2389 Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the IP commands to control this projector?  I am looking for a simple way to switch back and for to/from anamorphic mode without having to flip the through the menu.

thanks,
Nick

Try this: http://support.jvc.com/consumer/support/documents/DILAremoteControlGuide.pdf

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #1076 of 2389 Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

What kind of screens are you pairing the JVC RS46 with?
I am looking at a 125" 2.35:1 flat fixed frame.
The room can be dark and ambient light can be controlled.
My issue is the what kind of gain screens are you guys using.
I see anything from 1.2 to 0.08 gain on screens that will work.
What is your best opinion.
I will be buying the projector next year with the screen budget of $1000-$1200.

bull3001,

I have a fixed 138" 2.35 Elite Screens ezFrame with the AcousticPro1080 material - spec'd with a 1.0 gain. I have my center, left, right, left height and right height channels behind the screen. My room is 16.5' W x 19'.5' L and I have seats at about 12' and 18' feet back w/ the throw at 15.5'. I can't see the weave in the material at either seating distances and the picture quality is great with my RS46. My room is a completely light controlled bat cave - matte onyx black ceiling and front wall with dark blue (starless night) side & back walls. I picked up my screen on Amazon right before new years last year on a killer deal for $457.65 (free shipping) & at that price I have no complaints.
pjneder likes this.
post #1077 of 2389 Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Hi,

I'm looking at replacing my old Mitsubishi HD1000U and the X35 is one of my contenders. I'd be using it in a basement with a 96" white Da-Lite screen. I'm also looking at the Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 8350, and Sony HW30ES. It's a bit of a range, but I'm trying to narrow down what I'd like.

My use would be exclusively for 2D.

Any thoughts? I'm purchasing in Canada, so wouldn't mind any vendor suggestions either.
post #1078 of 2389 Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmoore View Post

Hi,

I'm looking at replacing my old Mitsubishi HD1000U and the X35 is one of my contenders. I'd be using it in a basement with a 96" white Da-Lite screen. I'm also looking at the Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 8350, and Sony HW30ES. It's a bit of a range, but I'm trying to narrow down what I'd like.

My use would be exclusively for 2D.

Any thoughts? I'm purchasing in Canada, so wouldn't mind any vendor suggestions either.

from what i've read the x35 would DESTROY those other options. the sony 50ES is the closer contender, and maybe the epson 5020ub. those were the three i was looking at and the jvc seemed to fit my needs for 2D pq better than the rest.

as for vendors, i bought mine from eastporters, came with the 3d emitter, 2 pairs of glasses, and a free bulb. i usually buy stuff through a friend that works at a local electronics store(she gives them to me for cost, ie, i got a samsung f8500 for 1000 below list price and got the first 64" that arrived) but they don't carry jvc. even still, i think eastporters would have been the better deal with the extras included. eastporters quoted me a price on the 5020ub 50bux less than my friend's 'cost' price. i was impressed with the shipping speed and service as well. i'll buy from them again i'm sure

post #1079 of 2389 Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I don't know if destroy is the right adjective to use here, but there will definitely be a noticeable overall improvement in image quality with most material being viewed. If you're interested with 3D or plan to watch a lot of it, I'd choose the Sony HW50ES over the JVC. Either way, either of those options will be a very nice upgrade over your current projector.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #1080 of 2389 Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

bull3001,

I have a fixed 138" 2.35 Elite Screens ezFrame with the AcousticPro1080 material - spec'd with a 1.0 gain. I have my center, left, right, left height and right height channels behind the screen. My room is 16.5' W x 19'.5' L and I have seats at about 12' and 18' feet back w/ the throw at 15.5'. I can't see the weave in the material at either seating distances and the picture quality is great with my RS46. My room is a completely light controlled bat cave - matte onyx black ceiling and front wall with dark blue (starless night) side & back walls. I picked up my screen on Amazon right before new years last year on a killer deal for $457.65 (free shipping) & at that price I have no complaints.

That was an amazing deal on that screen! I was looking at the 125" 2.35:1 version of it. Are you running the projector on the low or high bulb setting when watching regular 2D content and do you know how bright the image is with your screen? I was just concerned that using a AT screen that big that the projector would not be bright enough. Thanks!
amb1s1 likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page