post #1081 of 2315 Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I don't know if destroy is the right adjective to use here, but there will definitely be a noticeable overall improvement in image quality with most material being viewed. If you're interested with 3D or plan to watch a lot of it, I'd choose the Sony HW50ES over the JVC. Either way, either of those options will be a very nice upgrade over your current projector.

if you're a fan of deep blacks and good contrast like i am, yes.

if you're used to watching tv on cheap LCD's that barely produce dark grey and you're more concerned with motion, brightness, or some other aspect i find far less important, then yeah, destroy might be too much.

i still say the competition for the x35 is the 50ES and 5020ub though, not the models he posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2315 Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

if you're a fan of deep blacks and good contrast like i am, yes.

if you're used to watching tv on cheap LCD's that barely produce dark grey and you're more concerned with motion, brightness, or some other aspect i find far less important, then yeah, destroy might be too much.

i still say the competition for the x35 is the 50ES and 5020ub though, not the models he posted.

I ended up getting a really excellent price quote from Eastporters with some goodies included but with tax and shipping it's simply too much for me to spend on a projector and not feel uncomfortable. Additionally I'd have to re-do my mount because it can't support this huge projector, and the mount Eastporters has is too wide to drill into a single stud, meaning I'd have to make a total mess of my popcorn ceiling... so, seems like a no-go.

As you mentioned, the 5020ub is definitely closer as a comparison to the X35, so I think I'm going to have to look closer at it.
post #1083 of 2315 Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Is anyone using 3D glasses other than the JVCs...They are so overpriced!
post #1084 of 2315 Old 09-06-2013, 01:41 AM

Liked: 14
The cheap Samsung glasses work fine.Got mine for $20 off ebay.They sinc a lot quicker then the jvcs
and truthfully there is very little difference in PQ.
The JVC glasses let a little more light through.The samsungs are more comfortable.
post #1085 of 2315 Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmoore View Post

I ended up getting a really excellent price quote from Eastporters with some goodies included but with tax and shipping it's simply too much for me to spend on a projector and not feel uncomfortable. Additionally I'd have to re-do my mount because it can't support this huge projector, and the mount Eastporters has is too wide to drill into a single stud, meaning I'd have to make a total mess of my popcorn ceiling... so, seems like a no-go.

As you mentioned, the 5020ub is definitely closer as a comparison to the X35, so I think I'm going to have to look closer at it.

i'd give them a go on the 5020 too. i'm really sensitive to the dynamic iris's i guess, i can't stand them. so that was the main reason i opted for the jvc. the 5020 was 500 less than the jvc, but no extra bulb. it's cheaper now, but maybe not much in the long run(if you're going to use a second bulb). it's got some cool features, and good performance though.
post #1086 of 2315 Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post

Is anyone using 3D glasses other than the JVCs...They are so overpriced!

i actually prefer the samsungs. when i first got the jvc, the first thing i did was check if the jvc glasses sync'd with my samsung plasma cause i figured they would be much better, and rechargeable! i only made it about 30mins into my first movie with the jvc before i switched to the samsung's... neither it great imo, they both sit too close to my eyes, yet don't cover my peripheral vision. i guess i'm to used to a curved lens, and i just can't stand a flat one anymore.
post #1087 of 2315 Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post

That was an amazing deal on that screen! I was looking at the 125" 2.35:1 version of it. Are you running the projector on the low or high bulb setting when watching regular 2D content and do you know how bright the image is with your screen? I was just concerned that using a AT screen that big that the projector would not be bright enough. Thanks!

Yeah, I was pretty stoked when it got that low. With my RS46, I am only doing 2D content at the moment and have it on the low bulb setting. It's got less than 100 hours on it still and I have the iris all the way down (think it is at -15). I don't have a light meter (contemplating on getting one) to share any measurements with how bright it is but it is plenty bright in my opinion. If it wasn't, I would open the iris up more...
post #1088 of 2315 Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the IP commands to control this projector?  I am looking for a simple way to switch back and for to/from anamorphic mode without having to flip the through the menu.

thanks,
Nick

I won't open the debate/discussion on IP based remote control software here. That is well covered in many other places. What I *will* say is that both Roomie and iRule have remotes that operate the JVC via IP and they both have direct codes to select a lens memory setting.

Journeyman hometheaterphile.
post #1089 of 2315 Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc10 View Post

The cheap Samsung glasses work fine.Got mine for $20 off ebay.They sinc a lot quicker then the jvcs
and truthfully there is very little difference in PQ.
The JVC glasses let a little more light through.The samsungs are more comfortable.

+1

post #1090 of 2315 Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjneder View Post

I won't open the debate/discussion on IP based remote control software here. That is well covered in many other places. What I *will* say is that both Roomie and iRule have remotes that operate the JVC via IP and they both have direct codes to select a lens memory setting.

Thanks.  I found the commands listed in the manual and saw JVC projectors listed on the iRule builder site.  I am going to try to work on it this weekend.

post #1091 of 2315 Old 09-09-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Thanks.  I found the commands listed in the manual and saw JVC projectors listed on the iRule builder site.  I am going to try to work on it this weekend.

The commands listed in the owner's manual are only a tiny subset of what is available, all documented in the separate pdf linked above.
post #1092 of 2315 Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Have a question for owners after seeing a few bad reviews. If you had to do it all over again would you go with the RS46?

I am looking at the RS46, the Espon 6020

Just on the fence at the moment
post #1093 of 2315 Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Liked: 18
Yeah I would buy my RS46 again. My brother has a 6010 and it looks good too. I havent done a side buy side but the picture on both look great. The main reason I chose JVC was because of the lens memory. I really like that feature. Sure I could do the zoom manually each time to change the scope but it is nice to have.
post #1094 of 2315 Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
actually It looks like the 5010 is the epson I am comparing. The 6010 adds 1k but all you get it an extra lamp and mount but the specs are identical.

I guess I have a lot of thinking to do. The dealer has one with 10 hours on it (JVC) and he is going to give me a special price tomorrow. That may be the deciding factor

From what I am hearing, I cant go wrong with either smile.gif
rmaddog likes this.
post #1095 of 2315 Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

The commands listed in the owner's manual are only a tiny subset of what is available, all documented in the separate pdf linked above.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I somehow over looked that post.  And thanks to Alex for posting it.  That is exactly what I was looking for. 

I was able to get a couple of basic commands working last night.  I should be able to work on the rest this weekend.  It is nice being able to hit "off" and have it turn off right away without the confirmation press.

post #1096 of 2315 Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
Just an FYI, I have a brand new RS46 listed for sale on AVS.

sCiEnt
post #1097 of 2315 Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post

Have a question for owners after seeing a few bad reviews. If you had to do it all over again would you go with the RS46?

the only thing I would replace my x35 with is the 4810 or x55.

but in reality, i'll buy a new screen long before I replace my JVC. I love the picture quality, I love the lens memory features, and the 3D is the best I've seen(no dlp's so far). it could have better motion handling, but I wouldn't want to give up anything the jvc offers to get it.
post #1098 of 2315 Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm struggling between these two projectors as well (JVC DLA-X35B and Epson 5020UB).

I like the lens memory on the jvc, but the epson lumens might help overcome the small ambient light that my wife enjoys leaving on during movies. Between these two, is there something that stands out to make either the obvious choice? Or should I consider another projector altogether?

I'll be doing a DIY Sintra screen with dimmable backlight.
post #1099 of 2315 Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Could someone verify the Samsung 3D glasses that will work with the X35? Is it just the SSG 5100's that work or will other more expensive model SSG 3570 work as well?
post #1100 of 2315 Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbox46 View Post

Could someone verify the Samsung 3D glasses that will work with the X35? Is it just the SSG 5100's that work or will other more expensive model SSG 3570 work as well?

If you have the RF emitter (PK-EM2), any glasses that adhere to the hd 3d standard will work. For example, both the Samsung SSG-4100GBs (as low as $17) and Panasonic TY-ER3D4MUs work with the x35 and the PK-EM2 emitter.
post #1101 of 2315 Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenscope View Post

I'm struggling between these two projectors as well (JVC DLA-X35B and Epson 5020UB).

I like the lens memory on the jvc, but the epson lumens might help overcome the small ambient light that my wife enjoys leaving on during movies. Between these two, is there something that stands out to make either the obvious choice? Or should I consider another projector altogether?

I'll be doing a DIY Sintra screen with dimmable backlight.

this is imo only of course, but I HATE dynamic iris's. if you've had one and didn't notice it, don't worry about it, but I always have to turn them off. so that was one plus for the jvc, the jvc is much darker and has much better contrast than the 5020 with the iris off. the lens memory was something I didn't know i'd love, but now that I have it, i'm never going back. even just the ability to use the remote to adjust for initial setup while I stand right at the screen saves me a lot of walking back and forth. as for the lumens, the jvc is actually brighter(or so I've read) in calibrated viewing modes. the Epson does have the ability to be brighter with some sacrifice to PQ though. still, I can watch my x35 with some ambient light on and it's no problem. I have a 100" .08 gain grey screen, and a 120" 1.0 gain white screen that I've viewed it on.

ultimately, what decided it for me was when I actually got quotes and found out they were basically the same price. the x35 was only 500bux more, but it came with a spare bulb, 3D emitter and 2 pairs of glasses. figure the bulb is worth about 300bux (5020 comes with glasses too so I won't count that) and it's only about a 200 dollar increase.

from my research, the only thing the Epson had going was better lens shift(the jvc is actually right at it's limits in my application), and the side by side video option I thought would be neat for hooking up a second xbox and doing some LAN gaming(which hardly ever happens anyway)
zenscope likes this.
post #1102 of 2315 Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post

If I wasn't a gamer I would have stuck with the RS46, it's an excellent unit.
post #1103 of 2315 Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

If I wasn't a gamer I would have stuck with the RS46, it's an excellent unit.

I'm not a gamer and I agree it's an excellent unit! smile.gif Thanks kaotikr1!

post #1104 of 2315 Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:

as for the lumens, the jvc is actually brighter(or so I've read) in calibrated viewing modes. the Epson does have the ability to be brighter with some sacrifice to PQ though. still, I can watch my x35 with some ambient light on and it's no problem. I have a 100" .08 gain grey screen, and a 120" 1.0 gain white screen that I've viewed it on.

That's very interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll look into the ratings post-calibration a little more. The brightness was something that concerned me with the x35.
I don't have any first hand experience with auto iris, but I have read the complaints. There seemed to be less complaints with the iris on this epson model (5020 vs the 3020), but maybe I just need to sit under one to hear it for myself.
post #1105 of 2315 Old 09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's very interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll look into the ratings post-calibration a little more. The brightness was something that concerned me with the x35.
I don't have any first hand experience with auto iris, but I have read the complaints. There seemed to be less complaints with the iris on this epson model (5020 vs the 3020), but maybe I just need to sit under one to hear it for myself.

i had an older epson, and the iris was slow and noisy. i also felt that it really didn't help much. the new ones must be better, as they are generally considered a feature. but yeah, you probably want to test one out for yourself. the price between the two projectors really is so close you should be picking the 'best' projector for you, not the best value or cheapest one.

jvc is known for advertising more realistic lumen values compared to much of the competition as well. 1300 lumens advertised isn't going to turn into 400 nearly as quickly as it does with some other brands.

anyway, i read this review when i was shopping: http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/dla-x35_vs_pro-cinema-6020ub_vs_vpl-hw50es.php
it indicates the 5020 is just slightly dimmer than the x35 in calibrated modes, but blows it away at it's brightest, but not super picture quality, settings.
zenscope likes this.
post #1106 of 2315 Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 PM

fierce, do you watch any 3D content with yours? Too dim? Satisfactory?
What is your throw distance?
post #1107 of 2315 Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

fierce, do you watch any 3D content with yours? Too dim? Satisfactory?
What is your throw distance?

I do not, I am an avid hater of 3D actually. I have however tested it out, and tried it for a couple of movies(avengers, and the new Oz movie both is SBS). It may be a tad dark in my calibrated settings, but it's plenty bright (imo) when switched to the '3D' video setting.

I have two screens that I've used, 100" .8 gain grey and 120" 1.0 white. I've been using the larger white screen for scope movies. throw distance is around 18-19 feet. room is fairly well light controlled, not a velvet lined cave, but most gf's/wives would consider it a dark mancave i'm sure.

I would equate the 3D experience very similarly to what I've seen at commercial theatres.

I should also point out I think everybody that complains about the brightness of these projectors is absolutely ridiculous, haha. take your sunglasses off cool.gif maybe I have good night vision, I don't know, but I've never seen a dim tv or projector before. so, if you have had issues with dim projectors, don't take my advice cause i can't relate to you
post #1108 of 2315 Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:

I do not, I am an avid hater of 3D actually. I have however tested it out, and tried it for a couple of movies(avengers, and the new Oz movie both is SBS). It may be a tad dark in my calibrated settings, but it's plenty bright (imo) when switched to the '3D' video setting.

I have two screens that I've used, 100" .8 gain grey and 120" 1.0 white. I've been using the larger white screen for scope movies. throw distance is around 18-19 feet. room is fairly well light controlled, not a velvet lined cave, but most gf's/wives would consider it a dark mancave i'm sure.

I would equate the 3D experience very similarly to what I've seen at commercial theatres.

I should also point out I think everybody that complains about the brightness of these projectors is absolutely ridiculous, haha. take your sunglasses off cool.gif maybe I have good night vision, I don't know, but I've never seen a dim tv or projector before. so, if you have had issues with dim projectors, don't take my advice cause i can't relate to you

Totally agree.To my eyes my x35 is an absolute light canon.After 400 hours my iris is still at -15.
As for 3d.I still run it on low lamp.Plenty bright enough for me.Any brighter and i would get serious headaches everytime i watched a movie.
post #1109 of 2315 Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Totally agree.To my eyes my x35 is an absolute light canon.After 400 hours my iris is still at -15.
As for 3d.I still run it on low lamp.Plenty bright enough for me.Any brighter and i would get serious headaches everytime i watched a movie.

Thanks for for these responses regarding the 3d performance. Coupled with the standard pq of this projector, it may be the one I end up purchasing. Most reviewers seem to have high praise for it, but the projector calculators showing me 18.8fL in high dynamic (2d), made me question 3d performance. 3D will likely be a very small portion of my viewing anyway - my kids don't seem to care one way or the other (right now).
post #1110 of 2315 Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:

+1

I've got a good light controlled room with dark grey back wall and ceiling. I've got several hundred hours on the lamp and run it with the iris down. I watch Hobbit in 3D with cheap Samsung glasses. I tried in low and high lamp mode and frankly it looked good enough in low mode with the iris at 0.

Everything is relative. How much zoom, how dark / bright your room is, how good your screen is, and most importantly like fierce says how are your eyes. I guess some people are making huge screens in huge rooms with brightness needs that far exceed mine. The JVC puts out plenty of light IMHO.
zenscope likes this.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page