Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Enjoying my new 35 PJ, great picture on a Elite motorized 100" screen. Having trouble hooking up the trigger. I made sure I put trigger "on" from menu. Using a mono mini plug with blue wired to red "hot" from screen trigger and bare wire connected to green ground .. Still can't get trigger to raise/lower screen. I will get a 9v battery later and put it on end of trigger wire from screen to make sure that end works.. Any other suggestions? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
have you tried to use an stereo mini plug?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Enjoying my new 35 PJ, great picture on a Elite motorized 100" screen. Having trouble hooking up the trigger. I made sure I put trigger "on" from menu. Using a mono mini plug with blue wired to red "hot" from screen trigger and bare wire connected to green ground .. Still can't get trigger to raise/lower screen. I will get a 9v battery later and put it on end of trigger wire from screen to make sure that end works.. Any other suggestions? thanks in advance

Have you tested the 12 volt trigger output with a meter? Is the trigger turned on in the menu? Do that along with testing the screen with a 9 volt battery.

You are correct, the cable should be mono.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 12-28-2013, 12:20 PM

Hi, I just receive my new X35 projector. My last one was the HD1 from 2007. Would like to recieve advice about a good starting point for settings. My screen gain is 1.1. thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post

Hi, I just receive my new X35 projector. My last one was the HD1 from 2007. Would like to recieve advice about a good starting point for settings. My screen gain is 1.1. thanks in advance

Here's one from projectorreviews http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-x35-projector-calibration-and-settings/

Just google 'Caibration settings' for your projector model.

You'll get lots of different ones to choose from wink.gif
Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM

thanks Fleaman !
Old 12-28-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I must say that I am extremely surprised and very satisfied with the RS46 I projected it unto a 165" picture and brightness or lack thereof was a non issue in my book. Also having the projector sitting right next to me and switching from low to high lamp mode is obviously noticeable but in no way offensive. Once its hanging on the ceiling I do not expect it to be even a minor distraction, not in the slightest.

So, I'm just going to throw this out there,,,, those of you who want an opinion on fan noise and brightness you owe it to yourself to try it for yourself and let your eyes and ears be the judge. I can't believe I was going to trade this back in and loose money. This picture is incredible on my 120" screen and way more than satisfying on a 165" screen. Fan noise, sheesh...a total non factor. In low mode its non existent and in high mode, yeah, you can tell the projector has a fan but its not like its a huge distraction...not to me anyways'.

Picture through my Oppo is razor sharp with a lot of depth, not quite as good with direct TV, needs some adjustments. I'll keep playing with it but I must say, I'm extremely happy I bought the RS46. One last thing, the motorized lens controls are the icing on the cake and the lens shift is unreal, is there anyplace that you cannot mount this thing? Granted its not in its permanent location yet but this is one nice projector!!

smile.gif
malis0931 likes this.

Have a Happy and safe New Year!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316 View Post

I must say that I am extremely surprised and very satisfied with the RS46 I projected it unto a 165" picture and brightness or lack thereof was a non issue in my book. Also having the projector sitting right next to me and switching from low to high lamp mode is obviously noticeable but in no way offensive. Once its hanging on the ceiling I do not expect it to be even a minor distraction, not in the slightest.

So, I'm just going to throw this out there,,,, those of you who want an opinion on fan noise and brightness you owe it to yourself to try it for yourself and let your eyes and ears be the judge. I can't believe I was going to trade this back in and loose money. This picture is incredible on my 120" screen and way more than satisfying on a 165" screen. Fan noise, sheesh...a total non factor. In low mode its non existent and in high mode, yeah, you can tell the projector has a fan but its not like its a huge distraction...not to me anyways'.

Picture through my Oppo is razor sharp with a lot of depth, not quite as good with direct TV, needs some adjustments. I'll keep playing with it but I must say, I'm extremely happy I bought the RS46. One last thing, the motorized lens controls are the icing on the cake and the lens shift is unreal, is there anyplace that you cannot mount this thing? Granted its not in its permanent location yet but this is one nice projector!!

smile.gif

wonderful feedback and will buy it this week!!
Old 12-29-2013, 05:11 AM

I was using my projector yesterday for the first time, and found that I like image better with the iris set to -3, but I saw here that almost everyone uses apertures of -14 or -15 . Am I missing somehting here?, is -3 an abnormal setting? why?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I was using my projector yesterday for the first time, and found that I like image better with the iris set to -3, but I saw here that almost everyone uses apertures of -14 or -15 . Am I missing somehting here?, is -3 an abnormal setting? why?
I use -3 or -2 when watchng 3d but move it back to -8 when viewing 2d. I find this is best way for my wife and I.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

This will depend on multiple factors such as ambient light, reflectivity of your room surroundings etc. if it works for you than that's all that matters. However, typically it is best to bring down the iris to maximize the blackness of the image, but of course this dims the overall image as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is there are specific IP or IR command to set a specific lens memory setting. I use iRule and it seems that the only preset command is the main lens memory command and then you use either the arrow or the "next" command to select a memory. I would like to have a single command that would select 16:9 (Lens memory #1) and 2.35:1 (Lens Memory #2) and switch them with a single command. Manual seems to indicate there is NO specific command.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will watch a full movie lowering my settings and see what changes, if I do it for a couple of seconds, brigther is always better
Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's because you like a brighter picture. Remember you will want to set it to what YOUR eyes like. Some people are purists and their goal is different than I think most folks goal. They want a near perfect picture or at least the best that they can get which is totally fine...nothing wrong with that, however, on the other side of the fence are folks like who just want the picture to be pleasing to the eyes and not get bogged down with the finer details. I think there is room for both and would not say one is better than the other but since its your money, your time enjoy it however you want and don't let the "settings" ruin your experience. A third type of person is someone who wants both but knows when to shut it down, sit back, relax and enjoy the movie.

As a little experiment set your projector to the different presets and then scroll through your pic adj, you will see how the settings change with each preset (or scroll under menu). Now put in a movie like Monsters University and watch a few minutes with "Film" or "Cinema" and then change it to "Anime" Which one do you like best? hands down you are going to choose "Anime" but your pic settings are not "ideal". So, how would you rather watch the movie?

Now, flip the scenario for Iron man 3, and the opposite applies. This is the case I think with the average Joe, but as you gain more "experience" you will probably like your own presets better than the factory presets Which if you think about it for a moment, why does the factory have those setting in the presets? Because they know most folks are content with just pressing a preset and enjoying the movie, while others are going to customize their settings...all that is left to decide is which one are you?
Hint...hit the preset, sit back and enjoy the show, don't let the settings that you cannot see ruin the movie experience that you can see smile.gif

BTW, if the picture looks abnormal, it probably is, don't assume the settings are abnormal just because you see someone else using a different setting than yourself....no two rooms in these forums are equal. Lot of variables apply.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Is there are specific IP or IR command to set a specific lens memory setting. I use iRule and it seems that the only preset command is the main lens memory command and then you use either the arrow or the "next" command to select a memory. I would like to have a single command that would select 16:9 (Lens memory #1) and 2.35:1 (Lens Memory #2) and switch them with a single command. Manual seems to indicate there is NO specific command.

Not sure about IR but there definitely is via IP. UKGary publishes a document listing all the commands. There is also the "cedia command spec" from jvc's website. Either of those docs will list all the commands, which is way more than the few documented in the owner's manual.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub View Post

wonderful feedback and will buy it this week!!

I think you will be very happy with your choice and on top of all that you get motorized lens control with lens memory. The more I watch, the more I like smile.gif

Old 12-29-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Not sure about IR but there definitely is via IP. UKGary publishes a document listing all the commands. There is also the "cedia command spec" from jvc's website. Either of those docs will list all the commands, which is way more than the few documented in the owner's manual.

Thanks. I found the one on the JVC site. I will take a look at it and see if I can get it to work via IP. I have plenty of IR leads so worst case scenario I can do either.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316 View Post

BTW, if the picture looks abnormal, it probably is, don't assume the settings are abnormal just because you see someone else using a different setting than yourself....no two rooms in these forums are equal. Lot of variables apply.

Well said. I was using a combo of settings I found online and my own tweaks on my RS46. What I had looked pretty good. I just had a professional calibration and it looks totally different and the settings aren't really even close to what I was using.

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

Well said. I was using a combo of settings I found online and my own tweaks on my RS46. What I had looked pretty good. I just had a professional calibration and it looks totally different and the settings aren't really even close to what I was using.

Exactly how does the professional calibration differ from your own tweaking?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:

i have mine closed up simply because the image is much too bright when it isn't.

supposedly there's better contrast with the iris closed, i can't say I've noticed anything like that. for me it's like -15 is the vt60 plasma setting, and 0 is the LCD setting. everything gets brighter with the iris open, including the black levels. with the iris closed, i get deeper blacks on the x35 than i do on my f8500 plasma. with the iris fully open the blacks on the jvc are slightly higher than the plasma. i like blacks, so, iris closed for me, haha. when flipping between the two, my eyes will prefer the brighter image, but given time for my eyes to adjust, the darker looks better to me.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM

I have seen The first Hobbit movie and "Fierce_gt", what you have said is totally right: I finally ends with a setting of -9/-10 and maybe wiith the time will go lower for the reasons you have mentioned, now I understand the difference.
316, you are totally right, everyone could have their own tests and we cant spend our relaxing "movie time" tweaking the projector, because we can finally ends not enjoying the movie that we are seeing (and THATS the main idea right?, to enjoy the movie). Talking about this, let me tell you a history: I've been crazy for the music since I was a kid (now Im 55), and even have a radio program with some friends in my teens. Music was always present since I woke up in the morning untill I went to sleep with my walkman (remember that little device that create a revolution in audio when Sony brings this little marvels to the crowd?). well, time passes and got married, help my wife to rise the kids and put my music hobby to the side... Kids now are not kids anymore and about 8 years ago I return to my first hobby BUT, this time I've become obsesive searching for the best equipment to play my music changing speakers, amps, preamps, turntables etc. several times and, you know what?, I have lost the emotion that music used to provides me because now, Im not listening to the music anymore, I listen to the hardware always trying to find defects in my gear and have a reason to change everything again ...... sad ah? well, thats the danger of this kind of hobbies and all the information that we are getting in a dayly basis. Hopefully this time with video will try no to become a "hardware obsesive" person I am with audio and just enjoy what Im seeing... hope so ....
Sorry if I have made some mistakes in my writing but english is not my first lenguage, hope you get the idea.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

Yeah, I never ask for other peoples settings. I guess its okay for curiosity but it can also lead one astray. I would like to have mine calibrated someday but that's down the road a ways. smile.gif

Jorsan, we get the idea smile.gif Guilty on occasion myself as well wink.gif Its very hard to be content, it seems very few folks actually are. It's a discipline that is extremely hard grasp...I need to learn from my wife, she is the best example I have. biggrin.gif

Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Yes Jorsan, I've been there myself too. I finally nailed it on the video side by getting a Lumagen Mini3D and some decent calibration equipment (after learning on some more basic stuff). Now I know what I see on screen is as close to perfect as my equipment allows, so I no longer feel the need to tweak...I find that quite liberating. If anything the limiting factor is my room as it has quite light walls and a white ceiling, so I have plans to deal with that.

On the audio side I've swapped over to MK 150 series speakers, an amp with Audyssey XT32 and I'm currently building a pair of 15" subwoofers, but that's for a different thread I suppose, but I'm really happy with the sound side too.

Now I can just watch films/concerts and enjoy.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Old 12-30-2013, 05:32 AM

looks like Im not alone in this boat.
I will do my homework about calibrate my X35, I have an Iscan-Duo and an old X-Rite i1Display 2 with the Chromapure software (I bought everything as a pakage to have a good -but not expensive- switcher/ processor, and to have the opportunity to start in the calibration world, but finally never dedicate time or efford to understand the process. Lately, Chromapure update their software and now have the option of "autocalibrate" so I will try that to see the difference.
There is a "llittle wonder" call Darbee Darblet 5000 that I estrongly recomend. I have it for about 3 days and basically what this little device add is detail to the image without artifacts or noise if you dont push it too hard: I run mine between 50%-60% and you can go up to 120%. The results are great in regular flat TVs BUT in big screens is where it really shines.OPPO has licensed this technology to use it with their bluray so must be good. Im just an end user and Im not associate in any way with this company or its owner,
Old 12-30-2013, 05:35 AM

Kelvin 1965S, I've never listen to the MK 150s but always been tempted to try them. are they really good? what have you been using before them?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

looks like Im not alone in this boat.
I will do my homework about calibrate my X35, I have an Iscan-Duo and an old X-Rite i1Display 2 with the Chromapure software (I bought everything as a pakage to have a good -but not expensive- switcher/ processor, and to have the opportunity to start in the calibration world, but finally never dedicate time or efford to understand the process. Lately, Chromapure update their software and now have the option of "c "autocalibrate" so I will try that to see the difference.
There is a "llittle wonder" call Darbee Darblet 5000 that I estrongly recomend. I have it for about 3 days and basically what this little device add is detail to the image without artifacts or noise if you dont push it too hard: I run mine between 50%-60% and you can go up to 120%. The results are great in regular flat TVs BUT in big screens is where it really shines. Im just an end user and Im not associate in any way with this company or its owner,

I replaced my i1D2 as I found it had drifted terribly when I rented an i1Pro. I then bought an i1D3 Pro which seems much better. No point producing pretty charts if the results aren't accurate. frown.gif I use the autocalibrate feature in Chromapure myself (along with a Lumagen Mini3D) though I manually adjust greyscale and gamma (in the Lumagen) then run the 125 point CMS autocal.

I have a Darbee too, after my Lumagen so that my BluRay and PVR can benefit from the apparent extra sharpness/clarity effect...I like it, but don't find it worthwhile on my TV so it's conveniently placed near my projector.
Quote:

Kelvin 1965S, I've never listen to the MK 150s but always been tempted to try them. are they really good? what have you been using before them?

I've got the newer MkII version the flat one wall model MP150, which having recently heard some older MkI 150s I can say that the treble is smoother on mineand they are also very good with music; very dynamic and imaging is superb giving a surround effect sometimes even on straight stereo. I had them on extended home demo to compare against my previous PMC speakers which were rear ported so not ideally located in my room. The MKs are designed to go on the wall of course so they don't suffer the boomyness my old PMCs did in the same location, so it's as much that I'm able to locate the MKs correctly but I couldn't put the PMCs where they would perform best.

More related to a projector thread: The MP150 go below my screen rather than having my PMCs each side. This means that I can't see the speakers during a film which is good and it now means that I could get a wider screen if I change for a Draper ReAct screen as I'm currently considering.

Pictures below (as we all like pictures):

Some of the first white S150T to arrive in the UK as my side surrounds (older MK K4 as surround backs until I can afford another pair of S150T):

Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Have you tested the 12 volt trigger output with a meter? Is the trigger turned on in the menu? Do that along with testing the screen with a 9 volt battery.

You are correct, the cable should be mono.

Mike: thanks for the response. Yes I tested the wires that I extended coming from the screen with a 9v battery. It lowered and raised perfectly. I went into the menu during halftime yesterday and made sure the trigger said "on". I will try again today with the mono and stereo mini plug..

Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 AM

wow Kelvin1965s, nice room, looks very clean with the speakers reccesed in the front. .And great screen by the way, Im still with the 16:9 format but maybe .... soon ... who knows ......
Kelvin1965S likes this.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your kind comments, just to add that the speakers aren't recessed into the wall though, they are the on wall version as can be seen from the picture below. I'm thinking of going for a slightly wider 2.40:1 ReAct screen next year to make use of the extra width I have available. Due to my very long throw I actually have to crop approx 3" from the image sides when using my A Lens so that the image fits the screen, even though the X35 is at minimum zoom for A Lens use.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
It looks good, but the white couch and white walls are a mortal sin in AVS forums. It's time to repent.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com